Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Blyss

I could never grow long hair because I too have very fine hair that can break or look "stringy." I yearned and yearned for long hair my whole life and truly coveted my sister's flowing tresses. Finally, my hair did grow long because of my pregnancy and it still is long. And I am so glad I got to experience having long hair. It does feel more "me."

However. (The dreaded however...)

A bunch of shit happened in my life before and during the time my hair was growing out. A lot of mental/emotional turmoil. I feel like , the ends especially, hold the residue of that crap. I believe cutting it would be liberating but I also believe my hair will never grow long again without those baby-growing hormones. So I am in a stalemate for awhile. Being reluctant to accept (or initiate) changes that I know are necessary or needed is one of my weaknesses in the craft and in life.

Your "However" is exactly the way I felt just recently.  I felt, like you, my hair that had grown long during a distressing time in my life was holding onto what I had been through.  And it had gotten thinner and dead looking so I cut it short.  I thought I would hate it but it's much healthier looking and feeling. And I feel like a dead weight and all that negativity has been lifted off of me.  I may allow it to grow long again, but I'm not sure. When it was long all I did was pull it up in a pony tail anyway.  And let's face it, a nearly 60 year old woman just ain't all that cute with a pony tail!!!  In fact, I think it made me look somewhat like an unkept mental patient.

• Upvote 1

And let's face it, a nearly 60 year old woman just ain't all that cute with a pony tail!!!  In fact, I think it made me look somewhat like an unkept mental patient.

My mother recently experienced something similar.  She had held onto her very, very long hair for years, thinking it made her look younger, but in reality it made her look old and tired.  She looked like she was trying too hard to be a tiny-bopper.  She cut her hair to her shoulders and reported that she immediately felt better, stronger, and yes, younger.  The impact was the opposite of what she expected, and she is thrilled.  Soon after the cutting, she colored it, too.  She's a real hottie, now.

Yesterday, I was in a really weird depressed mood for no reason.  So I had hubby chop a good couple inches from hair.  It was down to my ass again and now its a few inches below my shoulders.  My mood picked up instantly after it was done and I just feel so much better today.  The way I see it, hair is a lot like the growth of a plant.  Cutting off the dead or old growth can stimulate something in the plant to start new growth.  What grows back is healthier and more vibrant than the old making the whole plant healthier, stronger and more vibrant. Cutting too much can either harm the plant and not allow it to thrive, or it could be the complete opposite and give the plant a clean slate and allow it to grow unhindered. It all depends on the plant just like it all depends on the person.  

• 4 weeks later...

I actually feel best when my hair is shorter. I had a parental unit that thought girls should always have long hair and because of this I now hate wearing it longer. When I was young it didn't matter so I let it grow in my teens, mother always kept it short when I was little so she didn't have to comb out the tangles since I would scream if she was too quick about it so she made me a bowl cut. lol I loved it cuz it didn't get in my eyes anymore!!! :D I feel the reverse, more in control of my life myself and confident when it is shorter. I don't attach emotion to it, it's just hair and I need not be fussy with it unless I'm in that mood. :oil-bottle:

I feel more comfortable with my hair long,although i do agree with Whiterose its good to get a bit chopped off every few months usually thanks to husband,its reviving.   

• 1 month later...

Hi all - I recognize this thread is old, but I am new.

My hair is long and untamed and I prefer it that way.  I cut mine very short in 2010 and my experience was it removed the sense of "security blanket",

however, I also struggled with feeling less feminine and this was an issue for me.

Most of the women in my family wear their hair long, yet tend to cut it short past 50 years of age.

I personally love the look of long, white hair - I hope to have some day....

I think what it comes down to, is finding what makes you feel most magically potent, and being comfortable in your own body....

As an aside, we often used hair clippings as garden "scarecrows" to ward off garden pests - that is the real power I perceive in hair itself!

Edited by Faith

As an aside, we often used hair clippings as garden "scarecrows" to ward off garden pests - that is the real power I perceive in hair itself!

That's funny. My mom is always asking me to collect my hair from my brushes (I shed like a dog) and give it to her so she can put it outside. (I told her she was crazy and absolutely not lol). She was telling me it deters deer and you just made me think of it so I did a quick search and it seems to be legit. Weird lol

As for hair having any perceived power to me... I like my hair longer and prefer to keep it that way. I feel safe and comfortable with long hair. I love my hair and it wouldn't look right too short. I'd constantly be needing to straighten it because I just don't think short hair looks good curly. Oh, and the longer my hair is the less ridiculously curly it is, the curls get stretched out from the weight or something lol. Although I do keep my side bangs short and they stay straightened whether the rest is curly or straight. So I guess the only "power" it has for me is the comfort and "safe" feeling of it.

I'm the same Chloe, I have curly/wavy hair and I keep it long. I had it cut to my shoulders a while ago and I just didn't feel like me. Plus it goes too fluffy! Lol!

I always think I'd like to be an old lady with long silver hair :) I guess I'll have to see how I feel when I get there!

I'm the same Chloe, I have curly/wavy hair and I keep it long. I had it cut to my shoulders a while ago and I just didn't feel like me. Plus it goes too fluffy! Lol!

I always think I'd like to be an old lady with long silver hair :smile: I guess I'll have to see how I feel when I get there!

I stopped coloring my hair last January.  Too hard to keep up with the silver roots.  And you know what?  I LOVE my silver hair!  It matches my complexion so much better than the colored hair and I don't have to worry about coloring it every 3 - 4 weeks.  And I feel like I've earned every one of my silver strands.  Plus I can tell you that everyone I've ever known colors their hair after the age of 50 and most of the time is shows.  Especially those "mature" people who insist on using shoe polish black or any shade of red.  I know their goal is to look yonger, but it doesn't work.

Plus I can tell you that everyone I've ever known colors their hair after the age of 50 and most of the time is shows.  Especially those "mature" people who insist on using shoe polish black or any shade of red.  I know their goal is to look yonger, but it doesn't work.

LoL !    Gads.... I'm so busted.  ~ grabs her three pronged cane and seeing eye cat and toddle doddles away ~

Regards, :smile:

GeriatricGypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy

LoL !    Gads.... I'm so busted.  ~ grabs her three pronged cane and seeing eye cat and toddle doddles away ~

GeriatricGypsy

Ha!

GeriatricGypsy

I think you are absolutely perfect . . . old person dyed reddish hair and all.

Jevne

GeriatricGypsy

Don't worry CG, I've been guilty of going RED myself in the recent past.   It's just that once almost all of a person's hair goes naturally white, any red colored dye has a tendency to look pink or orange (and not in a good way).  And my biased opinion has a lot to do with my MIL who at nearly 80 insists on dying her hair FLAMING RED (which fades in 2 weeks to a weak carrot juice color) and she thinks it makes her look hot to trot.  Nope it makes her look like she's trying too hard to hold on to her long gone youth.  And she was never a natural red head to start with.  Combine that with her circa 1980's purple spandex pants and shoulder pads that would rival a B42 bomber and you'll get the idea.  Sometimes trying to look "young" just makes one look ridiculously old!

(Please tell me you don't still wear spandex pants and shoulder pads!)

Edited by Raineylane

Don't worry CG, I've been guilty of going RED myself in the recent past.   It's just that once almost all of a person's hair goes naturally white, any red colored dye has a tendency to look pink or orange (and not in a good way).  And my biased opinion has a lot to do with my MIL who at nearly 80 insists on dying her hair FLAMING RED (which fades in 2 weeks to a weak carrot juice color) and she thinks it makes her look hot to trot.  Nope it makes her look like she's trying too hard to hold on to her long gone youth.  And she was never a natural red head to start with.  Combine that with her circa 1980's purple spandex pants and shoulder pads that would rival a B42 bomber and you'll get the idea.  Sometimes trying to look "young" just makes one look ridiculously old!

(Please tell me you don't still wear spandex pants and shoulder pads!)

Only poorly colored grey or white hair looks orange or pink when colored red. You have to replace and "fill" the hair with the lost pigments and undertones to get your desired shade. I adore older women who dress in insane color and pattern. Is that not one of the perks of getting old?

• Upvote 1

I stopped coloring my hair last January.  Too hard to keep up with the silver roots.  And you know what?  I LOVE my silver hair!  It matches my complexion so much better than the colored hair and I don't have to worry about coloring it every 3 - 4 weeks.  And I feel like I've earned every one of my silver strands.  Plus I can tell you that everyone I've ever known colors their hair after the age of 50 and most of the time is shows.  Especially those "mature" people who insist on using shoe polish black or any shade of red.  I know their goal is to look yonger, but it doesn't work.

The silver hair I do have is very sparkly, I really like the colour. But at the moment it's only at the front of my hair right in the middle. The rest is still dark with no sparklies. I'm looking forward to embracing the silver......just not yet. LOL!!! And it would be SO good not to worry about colouring! It's too expensive anyway!

It is the weight that stretches out the curls.

For several years, I went to a hair-dresser, who said the same thing; however, apparently my hair did not get the message.  The longer it grew, the thicker, curlier, and "fluffier" it became.  The weight was "supposed" to make it sleeker and more manageable, but it did not.  In fact, the bottom kept growing . . .  out . . . yep, out, like a big hair tent stuck on my head.  Seriously, I looked like Cousin It. Didn't matter how we cut it, still A-frame hair.

Now, I keep it just above my shoulders in longer layers.  Ok, it is still sort of big and poofy, but it is soft and curly, too.  Some people look good with long hair, or even if they don't, as long as it suits their personality and needs, that is super cool.  I just happen to look like an idiot with long hair.

As I said, though, my hair doesn't really impact my magic, unless I am so annoyed with my hair, that my magic is impacted as a side-effect.  But, anything that annoys me could do that. :smile:

Edited by Jevne

I have the same issue going on right now lol. It's because my end are so horrible and dry that they puff out while the rest is completely normal. I've been meaning to go get it cut for a while now but been busy with school, so it will be getting cut sometime before the start of the next semester. I'm pretty sad since I'll have to get a good amount cut off this time to get rid of the damaged ends.

Mine is long and curly and down to my lower back when straightened out (again..it grows like a weed). I have found that I have to dry my hair slowly by putting it up until it dries naturally over several hours or else I have "fluffy and frizzy" hair as well. Something I inherited from Granny. I never...ever take a blow drier to it unless I'm to straighten it which takes about an hour and half and I don't have time for that nonsense everyday. Hence the reason I wear it in ponytail most often, no fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting thread, nice to get all these different opinions on the subject. My hair has been long most of my life, although I must say there have been times when I had a whimsy and just cut it all off, at those times I was sure it was the absolute right thing to do. Could be it was time to  'start over' or something? Right now I have been growing it out and for a number of years have kept it in dread lock style (not eveyones favorite, I know). It works for me at this time.  My job forces me to have to wear my hair pulled back, I have always hated that, it feels so restrictive to me. The first thing I do when I get home is take it down. All that beeing said, the most powerful witch I have ever met always wore her hair short, and it never seemed to effect her power at all. To each thier own I guess. :vhappywitch:

A few days ago, a friend of mine (who says he doesn't want to be called wiccan, but might as well have long ears and a cotton-ball tail) introduced me to a new lady friend of his.  Apparently, she is part of a working group.  Nice enough person, but anyway . . . she showed me a picture from their solstice party.  Nine or so women and a half dozen girls (kids), and . . . they ALL had super long, straight hair (no bangs, no curl).  They all had the same general body shape, too --> overweight with most of the fluff on their rears.  So, I am thinking that they all belong to the same family, which would explain the similarities, but nope.  According to this lady, Witches are supposed to have long, straight hair . . . no joke, that is what she said.  She said, when people join their group, even the kids, they have to grow their hair out, because the goddess has long, straight hair.  So, being the antagonist that I am, I asked about the men.  According to her, men can't be Witches . . . it's not "allowed'.  Needless to say, I did not have the stomach to continue the conversation, except to tell my friend . . . Seriously?, before punching him in the arm. 

I would venture to agree with Solanaceae . . . to each their own, but having long hair doesn't make someone more powerful.

I recently got bored with my hair and started bleaching my short hair a very obviously fake platinum blonde. The color itself definitely has the power to make people stare LOL!!  

I've done pretty much the same thing... only mine is 2 shades of green now with brownish streaks where the lightener didn't work well enough ( I dyed it black for years) :laugh:

I don't dye it often and eat really healthily, and yet my hair has never grown any longer than about 3 inches below my shoulders. I rarely trim it more than about half a cm every few months just to get the worst of the split ends off, and in the 20 years since I last had it properly cut ( in a bob when I was 10 ) , it has yet to reach even my elbows 

If my hair had a conciousness it would hate me I think :cry_witch: