Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Blyss

• 6 months later...

i agree with length:) when i was younger, i chopped my hair and i lost myself. i became depressed and i couldn't do a tarot reading to save my life. my dreams vanished as well. it was scary, i truly believe that there is something in our hair lol :)

I think I am going to be a dissenting opinion. 1. I don't think hair affects things THAT much. I do think it does to some extent especially if you apply that affect to a certain variable.

With that said I have always kind shaving my head especially exposing the crown of my head intensifies vibrational sensitivity. I was recently trying to grow my hair out because I've always wanted dread locks, but I found myself being more drained and less sensitive than when I had short hair.

So I shaved it shorter not to expose anything and I started having my vivid dreams and precognition a lot more intensely. I am getting ready to shave it shorter until there is just a little stubble left on my head.

I know cultures (Yoruban) that the priests and priestesses at least for their first year of initiation have to keep their rad sheared to open flow with the Orishas and other powers. They must keep it covered when leaving their homes though.

During great illness I've made the mistake of cutting my hair and having to turn up to the hairdresser the next day to get it fixed. I think for me, although the act is hurtful, it was sort of a 'reboot'? A desire to free myself from the pain I was experiencing and try and begin again. I miss my long wild tongues of hair but I don't think it has hindered me. If your hair is neglected and unhealthy you cut it to free it from that state, thus, it made sense to me. I do think there is something to it though. Skin is constantly renewing, our body is changing but hair that has grown out sort of 'keeps' what it was. A walking history. When you part with that history you are beginning anew. If you attatched something in particular to that hair then I don't think it's far fetched if it had an affect on the person once cut. I for one miss the power I felt when a rough sea wind would blow through my long hair; a loss still felt.

• 2 months later...

I would guess, also, that it might be that a lot of men find long hair... bewitching... It floats, it veils, it falls to the side and reveals a breast... It can be wild and tangled and uncontrollable like a woman, or it can be neat and provocative and demure... like a woman.... it is something that can be seen as representative of the woman herself and the many moods, shapes, secrets, and mysteries that men wondered about but could never know.... In the hair they saw they power of a woman represented. It doesn't mean the power itself was in the hair, only that to some the hair was representative of all the things they found so enticing but didn't understand...

M

• Upvote 1

The thought of power being in the hair is, as has been said on this thread, reminiscent of the story of Samson and Delilah. If this story were a new testament story I would give it little credance, but the old testament is the story of the Hebrew people, and this has providence thats worth considering. The old testament has quite a lot of good thoughts in there if its read with an open mind.

Does hair hold some power of the person or is it just as dead as the skin flakes that fall away every day? I dont think hair is dead, because the state of the body can affect the state of the hair.

I think its worth thinking about.

As has also been said in the post by Michele, there is a sexual power that comes with long hair, especially for the female, it can be used to excite both participents of a sexual relationship.

I havent thought about long hair before and its uses, thank you for a great thread.

My hair has been through so many changes over the years, and it is very important to me. I feel like I can weigh in with a few opinions. :)

When I was young, I had my REALLY thick, curly hair VERY long. I loved it, but I was a kid, so when my mum cut it I was upset... but grew to believe that it was just my child frame of mind. Since that young age, my mum kept my hair short, below the shoulders short, and I hated it. I am, verily, mixed race... so one can ultimately see my mothers reasoning for keeping my hair manageable. It is also worth noting that I had a habit of hating having it brushed, because it was and is so thick and curly. It knots up, it gets in the way and it hurts... :(

When I got into my teenage years, I gained some control over my hair and I chose to just let it grow out once more. I always tied it back, went to school, washed it and went to bed. I hated the idea of burning my hair straight just to conform, even though I did try multiple times to do so with my mothers iron (yes, the type for clothes). So, from the age of 12 till 18, my hair was hardly ever cut. I just didn't like it, and I have an issue with paying some hairdresser for something I can do myself. Yes, I have cut my own hair before, I trained for 1 year as a hairdresser and know how to cut my own locks... xD

So, with hair at the base of my back, hardly ever dyed and never tampered with... I went into a hairdressers in town. I went in with a picture of short!haired Rihanna... and came out with hair so short you could see my scalp.

It was a huge shock to not just my family, but also my system. At the time I was a practicing spiritualist, and I found that as well as my self confidence hitting rock bottom... I also just didn't have the same connection with the spirit world that I had before. I am and always have been Clairalient and Clairvoyant, I'm a medium and I embrace that heavily... but after I had my hair cut so drastically everything was just... different. I couldn't sit down and connect with my church in the same way, I no longer felt like a medium. For all in tense purposes, I was lost...

And that is a really, REALLY scary feeling. Not just that, but it was because I had chopped off all my hair and even though I had all kinds of compliments about how my short hair was fashionable and awesome... I hated it. With a passion. I hated it so much I stopped going out all together.

Now, on top of this, I started bleaching my hair to within an inch of its life... and I can tell you parts of me didn't like that either. I started having these really weird dreams, repetitively the same thing. I was on a big white horse, all this hair flowing one minute and in a ditch DEAD with a bald head the next.

Now I've gone back to just letting my awesome hair grow (I have steps though, shaved parts of the hair above the ears in a small chunk), I feel a lot better... my mind is clearer and I can focus on the world on a more spiritual level again. It's growing faster and faster, and I love it again. I feel like the magic I do (knot magic and candle work) is back to where it was pre hair chop. I'm 24 now, I've been back for about 2 years, thats 4 years of feeling lost because my hair wasn't past my shoulders...

Safe to say I believe this does have an impact, whether it is the same for all or just dependent on the person is what I'd debate. I feel like its just me, because my hair is such a huge part of who I am as a mixed race person and as a bit of a girly girl. I also use it a lot with my knots and ladders, so that's a big part of why I identify with it on that level. It's a part of my practice and my image, I'm NEVER chopping it off again. A most gracious but firm and decisive NO to fashion and trends... Long hair for life, gais!

I think hair is more relative to the witch than anyone else. I have had short hair for 16 years, sometimes so short I barely had to shampoo it to get it clean. When I was a kid, it was so long I could step on it. For me, cutting it was a liberation of my spirit. It felt extremely good to be rid of something that felt binding. I think when we put meaning to something, it becomes a personal part of ourselves. My hair has always been a statement of me therefore it was constantly wild. Multiple colors, spikey, wavy, littered with gel. Maybe some glitter in there.

Now, I feel like I need it to grow. Sometime inside me told me it was time to grow myself and by extension grow my hair back. I say it much to my dismay. I used to rush to my hair dresser to get it cut off once it touched my neck, now it sweeps just above my shoulders. See I can't stand long hair but I am learning to get used to it. I can't ignore that voice telling me to grow it for some reason.

My very good friend T is half blackfeet. She has very long hair, something she had to grow back after decades of abuse. To her and her family, hair is a symbol of power and wisdom. When she cut it, she felt as if he took all of her power. It was devistating to her. Now that she has grown it, she feels like herself, her power, is back. Not only did she find the strenght to leave him but, she found the strength to stand against anyone who is abusive.

Albeit I think after a certian point it really isnt a matter of length equaling amount of power a person has. I think because power is a varying thing by person, hair lenght to me wouldn't be a determing factor. I can say I respect T as an elder, her friends respect her all the same. When her grandmother came to her in a dream and told her it was ok to grow her hair back, she did. And plans to never look back. I had a feeling, almost as if something inside me said to grow it back. That is why I think it is only relative to those who feel this way about hair. I see it as a sheild or tale (colors if you will) of someones personal being. Much like a tattoo or scar. If that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I've often thought the reason society prefers women to have longer hair is part of the separation of the sexes and a form of control. Men are just as controlled by the preference they have short hair, as women are with the preference of long hair. This can be changed due to environmental causes specific to a culture, like the Egyptians or the 6th century, European wealthy. How much of our beliefs/feelings about our hair are really 'ours' and not society's we absorbed from early childhood? This is less of a pressure today. but prior to the 1960s, it was pretty much standard (as far as my limited understanding of history goes :) ).

With regard to body hair, it's my understanding underarm and pubic hair is there to trap sex hormones in sweat to signal sexual desire. I thought hair on other parts of the body (arms, legs, etc) was for warmth.

As for my hair, it's pretty much always short. Occasionally, I will grow it to around shoulder length, but I don't usually keep it that long for very long. My hair is so thick, if it gets too long, my scalp can't breathe and I end up with an incredibly itchy scalp. When my hair is longer, I feel more feminine and 'soft' but when it's cut, I feel more 'brave' like I could take on the world. When I've felt my power, I've never felt it in an external part of me, I've always felt it come from within. I think hair can make a difference to how effective you feel, but think this is more down to what feels more natural or powerful to you. Overall, I don't think any one thing is essential to being a witch.

. . . As for my hair, it's pretty much always short. Occasionally, I will grow it to around shoulder length, but I don't usually keep it that long for very long. My hair is so thick, if it gets too long, my scalp can't breathe and I end up with an incredibly itchy scalp. When my hair is longer, I feel more feminine and 'soft' but when it's cut, I feel more 'brave' like I could take on the world. . . .

I know how you feel, Abraxia Thalgus. I keep my hair at my shoulders, but rarely any longer than that, as it is super thick and evil. It tries to strangle me in my sleep and pokes me in the eye, every chance it gets. Having long hair, which I have tried on occasion, makes me feel weighed-down and suffocated. I don't like it extremely short, because I like to play up my feminine side, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my Craft. It is more of a personal preference. :)

I am reading this thread again and still maintain power of a witch and the femininity of a woman are not or at least need not be related to hair. I mentioned that I am bald now due to alopecia that wiped out my hair in two weeks? I think I am more powerful than ever, still receive compliments and positive attention...still considered beautiful or not, depending on the viewer. What I do see, as a female who has had no hair for several years, is a lot of attention given to the notion that women need hair to be powerful, feminine, etc. I am now so used to seeing my bare head in mirror, I notice a lot of bad hair cuts, a lot of people hiding or clinging to long unshapely hair.

So, I just don't believe hair actually contributes to either my beauty or my power. I mourn the loss of it because society seems to have issues with women being powerful and gorgeous without hair ..but i don't think it is a necessary feature of a witch or a woman.

• Upvote 2

I am reading this thread again and still maintain power of a witch and the femininity of a woman are not or at least need not be related to hair. I mentioned that I am bald now due to alopecia that wiped out my hair in two weeks? I think I am more powerful than ever, still receive compliments and positive attention...still considered beautiful or not, depending on the viewer. What I do see, as a female who has had no hair for several years, is a lot of attention given to the notion that women need hair to be powerful, feminine, etc. I am now so used to seeing my bare head in mirror, I notice a lot of bad hair cuts, a lot of people hiding or clinging to long unshapely hair.

So, I just don't believe hair actually contributes to either my beauty or my power. I mourn the loss of it because society seems to have issues with women being powerful and gorgeous without hair ..but i don't think it is a necessary feature of a witch or a woman.

I would have to agree with you Elizabeth. There are a myriad of things that make up a woman or a witch. People feel their power in different ways, both in a mundane sense as well as magically-what works for one may be unnecessary for another. And your right, there are a lot of people out there who really should re-think the whole "having hair" thing, lol!

I don't think long hair has intrinsic powers but I do believe that we can learn to associate our powers with certain things/habits. So a witch who does link her power to the length of her hair may well find her powers dwindling after a chop but a witch who sees no significance will likely experience no change in her powers after a visit to the hairdresser.

I'm growing mine for the first time in years at the moment. Not for any particularly witchy reason but because I'd like to have really long hair just once in my life. I'll be honest, its annoying me a bit and it doesn't suit my (lol, very round face). I will probably get fed up and cut it all off at some stage. But its hard to negate that social programming which makes you believe that long hair is ultra feminine and attractive. Even on someone like me on whom it blatantly looks a bit daft. Oh well, that's social conditioning I suppose....

• 5 months later...

I am aware that this thread is extremely old, but I found it to be fascinating, and I love to type, so I suppose I'm about to shamelessly bump it.

Over a good part of last year my hair was entirely shaved off, either with a few milimeters of growth or totally bald. I had never felt happier or more powerful, and my self-confidence was through the roof. I absolutely loved it. I constantly get urges to shave it again, but I'm holding off because I want to grow it out. Over the past few years I've been having dreams about having long hair, and there are a few factors in my life that would tie in well with me having long hair. I will be interested to see if I can keep long locks once I have them, though. I seem to have a very strong self-image where I'm always bald. Perhaps it is because I find bald (or extremely short-haired) women to be quite attractive?

Do any men get this type of power vs stagnant feeling from their facial hair? I know hubby goes through a crisis every once in awhile where he has to change his facial hair. I think its a similar thing to my need to chop off all my hair every few years.

I just cut my hair short again - about 3 or 4 inches from my head. My head feels much clearer and less foggy. (And my neck and cheeks don't have sweaty hair plastered to them as we enter our humid summers here.) Strangely enough, I actually look more feminine with short hair, and it usually makes me act more feminine, lol.

M

• Upvote 1

Do any men get this type of power vs stagnant feeling from their facial hair? I know hubby goes through a crisis every once in awhile where he has to change his facial hair. I think its a similar thing to my need to chop off all my hair every few years.

My husband shave his head, but does have a moustach, which he keeps trimmed for work. His facial hair does, however, influence his perception of his power. Every hunting season, he spends time with friends on a 6 week trip, during which he grows a full beard. It is part of the ritual of the hunt; a way for him to connect with his primal side. On the way back, he shaves it into a goatee, just for me, cause it makes him looking fucking, smokin' hot. I take advantage of him for a few days, before he has to return to working-class guy.

So, to answer your question, I think he does get a certain feeling from the facial hair, but it seems to be associated with specific events or times of year. :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Well i will admit i change my facial hair often.  And to answer your question, yes it changes your perception of yourself.  Baby faced i look like I'm 12 and feel like a delicate flower.  And with facial hair i feel rugged and manly.  But if i have the same facial hair for too long i feel stagnant.  So I change it up as long as the wife approves   :thumbsup:  

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking hair holds power for a while, now. Nice to know it goes beyond suspicion  :turned:

I've also considered leaving locks of hair as offerings whenever I must take from a tree or plant. It seems a fitting exchange, if I take leaves or twigs.

On a related note, I read that in Renaissance art, only "wicked" women like witches, prostitutes and others were portrayed with body and pubic hair. An 'innocent' and 'pious' woman would be portrayed virtually hairless. 

It's interesting that this thread has surfaced again, especially since I've recently been contemplating, and I guess compelled, to cut my hair by a decent amount, as well as how my general outlook on this subject has changed.

When I originally saw this thread, I very much felt that hair was magical, and for me I felt that long hair was a defining factor in, and as an expression of, my craft. However, in truth, I very much feel that my hair being long has caused me to stagnate - all of the energy and history it has collected over the past five years I've been growing it is smothering my development as a witch and as an individual.

Originally I grew out my hair as I've always felt uncomfortable, self-conscious and vulnerable with short hair, and I continued to do so as a challenge to see how long it could really grow. For me, my hair is really precious, it's been such a cornerstone of my identity and as a means to tackle and express difficult topics, so with that mindset it makes it really shocking that I'd even think of doing anything more than getting it trimmed.

But nothing ever stays the same and my situation has changed significantly within the last two years and because of that I'm feeling the need to remove some of the baggage that's accumulated so that I can liberate myself from past ideals and continue to develop.

This is my convoluted way of saying that I believe hair has magical significance, but that's regardless to it's length or style, and manifests through an individual's outlook and current situation. For me, my knee-jerk reaction of "long hair = magical/spiritual significance" is wearing off, and I can now understand that such an absolute thought is no longer right for me.

Originally I grew out my hair as I've always felt uncomfortable, self-conscious and vulnerable with short hair, and I continued to do so as a challenge to see how long it could really grow. For me, my hair is really precious, it's been such a cornerstone of my identity and as a means to tackle and express difficult topics, so with that mindset it makes it really shocking that I'd even think of doing anything more than getting it trimmed.

It is all a matter of perception.  Short hair can be just as fun, flirty, and feminine, as long hair.  I very much agree with your stance that the individual's outlook and current situation, dictate the power that they assign to their hair.

Wow, this is an old thread.

I've always wanted to have long hair. The longest I ever had it was mid back length when I was a teenager. My hair is very baby fine. I have alot of hair, but it's so fine that it tends to break very easily by the time it gets to shoulder length. Also when it's short & not eighed down, it has a nice natural curl.

I found out from a tip that I got from "kind-of" a relative (okay... it's my ex's wife...lol. She's always had very long hair.) She had told me that she trims it only on the Dark Moon.)

So, not reading through the entire thread, I was wondering if this theory had been brought up. Cut your hair on the dark moon, (makes sense, every 4 weeks), but it will grow in faster & healthier?

I could never grow long hair because I too have very fine hair that can break or look "stringy." I yearned and yearned for long hair my whole life and truly coveted my sister's flowing tresses. Finally, my hair did grow long because of my pregnancy and it still is long. And I am so glad I got to experience having long hair. It does feel more "me."

However. (The dreaded however...)

A bunch of shit happened in my life before and during the time my hair was growing out. A lot of mental/emotional turmoil. I feel like , the ends especially, hold the residue of that crap. I believe cutting it would be liberating but I also believe my hair will never grow long again without those baby-growing hormones. So I am in a stalemate for awhile. Being reluctant to accept (or initiate) changes that I know are necessary or needed is one of my weaknesses in the craft and in life.

I was a hairdresser for many years and noticed that there's a lot of haircutting going on either during very stressful times or right after.  Some regret it - some don't.

Wasn't it a very old tradition that women in mourning cut their hair very short?