Sign in to follow this  
Blyss

Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Certainly sounds like it, most of Paul's stuff was ridiculously contradictory imo...

Not just Pauls stuff, a huge portion of both old and new tests are full of it. contradictions that is)

Really interesting points about potentially using ones hair as a way of sensing your surroundings. My scalp is moderately sensitive and I do have some ability to sense if something or someone interacts with my hair by the sensation on my scalp. A bald head is still as sensitve, but without the extension. A messy rats nest will thwart sensation because the pull on the scalp would be all inconsistent. Unhealthy hair with split ends tends to catch on itself also tripping up the accuracy of sensations. If the scalp keeps getting inaccurate messages due to knots, tangles and splits, the brain may stop monitoring those sensations. Furthermore, hair conducts some amount of static electricity--as we all know. The scalp may sense that electricity as it transfers.

I wonder if the sense the scalp has can be more attuned to to benefit the witch.

Certainly bald heads and short hairs have the scalp sensation too, and the lack of hair or shorter length merely changes the types of sensations and the distance from the head the messages travel from. Some of the most sensative and powerful hairs are the short ones on the back of the neck...so different lengths may have varying value for different goals.

On another note, the various biblical references to the power of long hair:

For women it is their crowning glory, except they are supposed to cover it to be modest. I think this has to do with charisma and sexual power. And fear of those powers. Men felt threatened by their weakness for sex in the bible, hey I don't know why, sex is very powerful. But they did--and so the leaders made the women cover their hair, but at the same time they didn't want it cut, because they wanted to harness that power and control it, not remove it all together. This is older than Paul, women were to cover their hair in the old testament too.

Samson had long hair and it was a sign of his power, because no one ever got close enough to him to cut it with their weapons, until he was weak before a woman. Samson took down entire armies with no weapon other than a Donkey's jaw bone. Military men cut their hair short so it cannot be grabbed by enemies. Samson was so mighty that no one got that chance--until he slept like a baby in his lover's arms and she betrayed him. Sure the story says his power itself was in his hair, but I think that is mistaking the symbol for the symbolized.

Those symbols of power and wealth of old aren't as strong for our culture. The symbolized the power and wealth, is not dependent on the symbol (in older times long strong hair, in our times an expensive cut and color and blowout).

I don't believe the hair itself is magical, but the feelings one get from hair can give them confidence needed for magical work. I myself go between short hair and long hair, blonde hair and black hair. The state of my hair has never influence my magic, though when I first change my hairstyle, I do feel like a different person sometimes.

On another note, the various biblical references to the power of long hair:

For women it is their crowning glory, except they are supposed to cover it to be modest. I think this has to do with charisma and sexual power. And fear of those powers. Men felt threatened by their weakness for sex in the bible, hey I don't know why, sex is very powerful. But they did--and so the leaders made the women cover their hair, but at the same time they didn't want it cut, because they wanted to harness that power and control it, not remove it all together. This is older than Paul, women were to cover their hair in the old testament too.

Samson had long hair and it was a sign of his power, because no one ever got close enough to him to cut it with their weapons, until he was weak before a woman. Samson took down entire armies with no weapon other than a Donkey's jaw bone. Military men cut their hair short so it cannot be grabbed by enemies. Samson was so mighty that no one got that chance--until he slept like a baby in his lover's arms and she betrayed him. Sure the story says his power itself was in his hair, but I think that is mistaking the symbol for the symbolized.

Those symbols of power and wealth of old aren't as strong for our culture. The symbolized the power and wealth, is not dependent on the symbol (in older times long strong hair, in our times an expensive cut and color and blowout).

Your post made me think of two things. First, I read somewhere that "angels are attracted by long hair" and second I once had a conversation with a woman who worked as a jail guard and she had a near-shorn haircut. She told me it was so no inmates could grab her by the hari becuase if you can control the hair you can control the head, and if you can control the head you can control the person.

Putting those two thought s together, I wonder if the whole hair issue is really symbolic and not literal (as are so many things). If it is about power, and the power of one whose "head" can not be controled. And by head I think it may have more symbolism than the literal free-thinking person, although that may be a part of it. Don't know.... it was just a thought I had as I drank my coffee and read your post...

M

Some of you may have (or may not have missed) the posts of mine - I have a bald head and am female. My hair fell out due to alopecia. I can't stress enough how much I believe the power of hair is symbolic and definitely depends on the witch's own beliefs. For me, when my lovely hair was shedding (it fell out in a few weeks), I felt like I was losing my power (and my mind). So, I had DH shave my head - and there was a shorn head. I felt pretty powerful. I'd confronted my fears and felt pretty damn cool and sexy, to be honest.

Some days when I'm feeling low, my bare head feels vulnerable. But other times - it's just the opposite - I just look at the mops on people's heads and think, "bald is sexy!".

I truly believe the power is within the witch.

• Upvote 5

Some of you may have (or may not have missed) the posts of mine - I have a bald head and am female. My hair fell out due to alopecia. I can't stress enough how much I believe the power of hair is symbolic and definitely depends on the witch's own beliefs. For me, when my lovely hair was shedding (it fell out in a few weeks), I felt like I was losing my power (and my mind). So, I had DH shave my head - and there was a shorn head. I felt pretty powerful. I'd confronted my fears and felt pretty damn cool and sexy, to be honest.

Some days when I'm feeling low, my bare head feels vulnerable. But other times - it's just the opposite - I just look at the mops on people's heads and think, "bald is sexy!".

:thumbsup: Totally agree!

• Upvote 1

I agree 100 %, I have periods where I shave my head and its invigorating and I do feel like it gives me a certain edge...

Guess its a case of what attunes the mind, if you think Long locks of crowning glory will give you the edge then it no doubt will..

Losing hair is depleting but consciously shaving ones head is a powerful statement and I agree, 'bald is sexy!' ...

• Upvote 2

I totally agree, great post!!! Also, I am with ya on the "Bald is sexy" view. :D

Oh, yeah! Forgot about that part. Mine is behind my left knee. Feel free to shave my legs to find it.

LOL LOL LOL that is so funny, Jevne, about the shaving of the legs!

I love reading your posts, as you have a great sense of humour (so do 99% of the others as well)

Kind regs,

Heks vhappywitch.gif

Dear ElizabethNickerson,

Yes, bald is beautiful and Sinead O'Connor looked great I thought!

KInd regs,

Heks chakrahearts.gif

I've been contemplating this thread for a few days, reflecting on my own thoughts and feelings toward my hair. EN's inspirational story and words stuck with me and made me reevaluate. Because I definitely believe what she said to be true, the power is within the witch.

So why is my hair so important to me? Why do I place power in it (because the power I perceive it to have is the power I gave it)? Why would I mourn my hair if I were to lose it, as if it was a limb? Why do I feel weakened and lose confidence when it is short?

I think these were important questions for me to analyze. I don't want to use my hair as a crutch. I want to believe I can be powerful and confident with or without it... and I do believe that.

I guess what it comes down to for me, is my hair is a type of personal storage. I store power in it, I store memories in it, I store the years that are woven into it. My hair contains in it the last few years of my life. It has seen the pain, the tears, the blood, the joy, the laughter. I look down at my hair and I see all these things.

Even in a mundane sense... when someone uses drugs or is poisoned over time, it can be traced in their hair. Their health during certain times in their life can be seen in their hair.

My hair reflects my personality and my moods. It's an amplifier.

I also have come to realize, I use my hair as a shield. I feel vulnerable and exposed without my hair. I've noticed when I put my hair back, I'm much more open and receptive... but I can also become overwhelmed more easily. With my hair down, I'm able to block things out much easier. I think this is something I learned when I was young. I was one of those little girls that would hide behind her hair when feeling overwhelmed around people. And I felt free and wild when exploring outside with the wind in my hair.

In the end, I know deep down that if my hair were to fall out tomorrow, I'd mourn it's loss, probably more deeply than is 'normal' (whatever that is)... but then I would pick myself up, brush myself off, and continue on still as powerful as I was with it. I would adapt. And that's a nice thing to know...

~ Freki

• Upvote 2

I think that's great Freki. Your hair is important and powerful to you, but you're aware of why it is, and you know what you would do should circumstances take it away from you. And that's awesome. :)

I've been thinking on this today as well. Not too long ago I chopped off all my hair. My hair was almost to my ass and chopped it to my chin. Not only was a physical weight lifted (because that was like 10 pounds of hair lol) but also a metaphorical weight. I finally realized why I have such sudden urges every few years to chop off all my hair, even though I prefer long hair. It's literally sheering off my past, emptying my baggage and moving on with my life.

I think that power is with in the witch, yes, but his/her hair is a large part of their perception of themselves and if that perception is not positive, then they loose a little of their power. LIke Elizabeth said, she felt powerless untill she decided to shave off her hair. She took the power back and because of that she views her self as strong, instead of weak becase the illness caused her to loose her hair. I'm all for that. When I was little my mother cut off all my hair and I had no control over it and it sucked, but now that I have control over it, its empowering because I DID IT.

I love my natural hair, but recently I've got the unsurmountable desire to start investing into some wigs to wear over my own hair.

A large part is probably because my shoulders have got bad enough that looking after my hair is tricky so being able to take it off and give it a once over will be much easier :lolol:

I love dying my hair though, so am currently in contact with a few people to see if a certain brand of dyes I like are good on artificial hair, I think a collection of wigs each dyed differently will be great fun.

I know soon enough I'm going to start losing my hair, that doesn't scare me, I'm a little bothered because I know it will be annoying as it will come out in small clumps, I won't go completely bald, Just lose enough for it to look odd. I never enjoyed having short hair so am looking at my options :)

I love my natural hair, but recently I've got the unsurmountable desire to start investing into some wigs to wear over my own hair.

A large part is probably because my shoulders have got bad enough that looking after my hair is tricky so being able to take it off and give it a once over will be much easier :lolol:

I love dying my hair though, so am currently in contact with a few people to see if a certain brand of dyes I like are good on artificial hair, I think a collection of wigs each dyed differently will be great fun.

I know soon enough I'm going to start losing my hair, that doesn't scare me, I'm a little bothered because I know it will be annoying as it will come out in small clumps, I won't go completely bald, Just lose enough for it to look odd. I never enjoyed having short hair so am looking at my options :)

My mother-in-law has always had extremely thin hair. I think she said that it started falling out when she was in her teens, but for the longest time there was enough of it to arrange it to hide the bald spots. As she grew older, however, she lost more of it, and eventually invested in some really nice wigs. She could only afford three of them at first, because apparently they are quite expensive. At first, she was obsessed with styling them and dyeing them, but as time passes she gets less interested in making them look nice. They kinda look like matted fur on her head now. And sometimes she doesn't put them on straight. And before anyone thinks I'm making fun of a little old lady; she is in her mid-50s and mentally sound. Well, relatively. I just remember how happy she was when she got her first wig and how it changed her demeanor in little ways. Not complete personality change, but noticeable differences. Plus, her husband who has since passed on started calling her "his little tart", when she put on her short, flirty little wigs. Based on this, I think wigs can contribute to someone's overall sense of self and contribute positively to the person's magical energy.

Jevne

I believe one can obtain wigs made from natural hair. I don't konw his reasoning behind it (i.e. personal connection and I am assuming there is one) but we had a fellow at work who would never cut his hair and every few years when it got long enough he would shear it and donate it to an organization that made wigs for distribution to people on chemo and other treatments that often make one lose their hair.

M

As weird as it sounds but most artificial hair ones look better than human hair ones - probably because with artificial you're not supposed to use heat treatments or peroxide and dyes on them so they come all ready just to whack on (Most you just give a shake and Bob's your uncle)

I thought it was very weird when I saw a collection of human hair wigs, because most are available to people with health difficulties rather than as vanity items it's like they make less effort making them look nice, very sad for someone who feels that they are facing such a loss but are unable to afford alternatives.

Confidence in oneself is important for so much, witchcraft and other, I have found over the years my personal confidence can be greatly compounded by the fact I have several facets that wax and wane from one week to the next, and being to outwardly reflect what's more dominant makes me more comfortable in my skin, from head to toe.

It's like I have my own mini seasons!

I believe one can obtain wigs made from natural hair. I don't konw his reasoning behind it (i.e. personal connection and I am assuming there is one) but we had a fellow at work who would never cut his hair and every few years when it got long enough he would shear it and donate it to an organization that made wigs for distribution to people on chemo and other treatments that often make one lose their hair.

M

My daughter does this, every couple of years, she chops it off and donates it. Her's go to St. Jude for children's wigs. For her it makes her feel good to do something for others. I was always curious if the strength she possess is passed on to the children who need it.

... I was always curious if the strength she possess is passed on to the children who need it.

That's a lovely thought.

M

Well, outside of opinion..let me give you a recent experience.

My hair was down below my bra strap, 2 weeks ago. Wild, unruly, breaking off, greying..not curly, not straight, frizzy wannabewaves in some sections, always looked dry.

Now when I tamed it with a straightener or a curling wand, it was really beautiful. However, it was the only way for it to look halfway descent down. I kept it up mostly up in a bun and always looked unkept....unless..i decided to do something with it. Which took an hour by the way.

But... i loved having long hair...as I have wanted to grow it out for two years now.

I think part of the problem it has is becase it's turning grey..on top of all the random color changes ever few months. I usually have some shade of blonde mixed with chocolates. Right now..it's mocha brown (only one color, rather than three) And, also..with the heat damage from the irons (and, I use the best irons and best products)my hair was just a big long pile of damage.

I got sick of looking like a nightmare when i woke up...sick of always having to deal with it. Two weeks ago...I woke up...looked in the mirror and said...enough of you! I chopped off six inches..right there. I also colored it one solid color-as it was a washed/faded blondish brownish greyish (is that a color??LOL) During the full moon-it just so happened to fall out that way-I didn't plan it. But, glad it worked out!

I love my new look-my hair is soft as silk, it has movement, it shines, I like the feeling of air on my neck and shoulders. I DO not feel any less intuitive or that my personal power has been depleted. In fact I feel more in control....as weird as that may sound. I feel lighter!

Rather I feel better ...like I cut years of damage off and got rid of it.

It is interesting to note that.....the same week which I cut my hair...I was going thru another attack from my sister...in which I was so angry at her...I was planning to hex and/or curse her. It took me days to calm down...when finally I made the decision to let her dwell in her own misery and to completely CUT all ties to her and release myself from her abuse. It had nothing to do with cutting my hair, but, perhaps it did. I remember doing the same thing two years ago when I broke up with a man I loved madly. Maybe, I subconsciously do things I'm unaware of ;) hahahaaa

The same week, I read an article online, I think Wyrd posted it earlier about the indian scouts and their hair. I figured...Damn..now I have lost all my psychic abilities, shit! LOL.... that same article actually had alot of comments which were worth considering and kinda debunked the whole theory...

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/234783-The-Truth-About-Hair-and-Why-Indians-Would-Keep-Their-Hair-Long

nothings changed in me..except that my hair is healthy and looks great..I feel lighter.

I do agree tho...that the hair is valuable and has lots of importance. Great theories. great post.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read the last few pages of the thread but I wanted to chime in- I don't necessarily attach power with hair length as that doesn't make sense to me. I do, however, attach hair length and style to my persona(? I this is not the word I want to use but my mind is mushy right now). What I mean is that when I grow my hair out I feel I am adopting a specific style. And not in the superficial "aren't I so awesome?!" way but rather in a uniform way. Police officers where police uniforms, scientists put on lab coats, sci-fi enthusiasts wear sci-fi t-shirts, etc etc etc. Take these outward expressions of their carrer, hobby, etc away and they still are what they are, however there is something to be said, at least to me, for taking on the appearance of those that have come before us, those that we relate to, those that we respect. (Aloe, this is probably why you reject long hair. For me short hair is the quintessential LDS haircut and I don't like it personally for the reason. That and I could never pull it off LOL) Obviously this can be taken as literally as one wants to. I am not suggesting we all start dressing in the garb of the 16th century or what have you. But the thing is the hair lore is a stronger lore when it comes to the identity of the "witch" or "wild wo/man" or "free spirit" etc etc far more than, say, a corset or even witch's hat. Though I have no strong attachment to hair lore I theoretically wear my hair long in homage to that, to those that have come before me. Or not. I could easily change my mind on this. So within this I can see where one's "power" rests in their hair. It's no surprise that because of the stereotypes and lore, etc etc, that people still equate hair length with the freedom, independence (especially when the hair is worn loose), mystery, and of course magic of the individual. The problem arises when we focus on that solely and think that a witch with short hair must be less powerful or otherwise witchy. Thankfully no one has done that here. It is obviously not true and logic dictates, then, that there is no real connection to power in hair- not in and of itself I mean. On an individual level there certainly is to me. Attaching that, of course, will form an attachment to the individual. We talk about witches creating their reality- this is no less true here.

I recently cut my hair off. It was waist length, the longest I have ever had it. But I have been going through some things and as these things came to a head for me my hair suddenly began to feel heavy. This goes to what Oak (was it Oak or Gram? Can't recall) was saying earlier in the thread about hair scientifically holding our history. I think this is true for me on an emotional level, like it is for Aloe. So, with deciding to leave certain things behing me, I cut my hair just above shoulder length. Ah, sweet relief. And now I am growing it out with the intention of forming a new bond with it, or in other words, "growing" a new history.

Reading back now...

What about changing appearance as an outward reflection of our perception of our true self? Someone I dated once told me that I looked like a woodland princess with my long golden, reddish brown hair....so I chopped it off and dyed it dark brown. Volia`! No more woodland princess and he dumped me. I believe he dumped me because my look then gave an accurate reflection of my true self, which he apparently failed to see and it scared him and then I attracted a "suitable mate" that fit my spirit alot better.

Ah, yes! This illustrates one of the points I was trying to make above. Our outward appearance being a reflection of our inner selves and the lore and, lets face it, stereotypes of certain "looks" attracting us to them. Long hair in our society means certain things that perhaps some of us are trying to personify because we feel it internally.

I've been thinking on this today as well. Not too long ago I chopped off all my hair. My hair was almost to my ass and chopped it to my chin. Not only was a physical weight lifted (because that was like 10 pounds of hair lol) but also a metaphorical weight. I finally realized why I have such sudden urges every few years to chop off all my hair, even though I prefer long hair. It's literally sheering off my past, emptying my baggage and moving on with my life.

I recently cut my hair off. It was waist length, the longest I have ever had it. But I have been going through some things and as these things came to a head for me my hair suddenly began to feel heavy. This goes to what Oak (was it Oak or Gram? Can't recall) was saying earlier in the thread about hair scientifically holding our history. I think this is true for me on an emotional level, like it is for Aloe. So, with deciding to leave certain things behing me, I cut my hair just above shoulder length. Ah, sweet relief. And now I am growing it out with the intention of forming a new bond with it, or in other words, "growing" a new history.

This is where I was going with the previous quote. It seems we view this topic very similar.

I know it's been a month since anyone has replied to this, and I did draft a response a few weeks ago, but the computer ate it...anyway. Here's my take on it:

I had dreadlocks for almost 7 years. When I began, they were very short, just barely brushing my shoulders. When I finally cut them off, they reached to my waist. They were incredibly heavy (sometimes I miss them, and then I remember how much my scalp hurt, and then I don't miss them anymore). I also felt like they seemed to collect personal power and store it(I think a lot of it was a state of mind and not the actual reality), and as though they "protected" me in a sense. But when I did get them cut off, I felt amazingly, incredibly "free", so perhaps they were storing negative energy, which is likely, given the tumultous-ness of those years. I did keep some of the dreads that I chopped off myself (the tips), which I meant to bury in a sort of "farewell" ritual, but I never did. I found that I didn't need to. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

It's funny because I wanted dreads for so, so long, and once I had them I loved having them, my mother told me once that I looked like an "imposing Pagan goddess" with them, which I loved, earth mama persona and all that. After about six years though, I started yearning for a change, though it took me nearly nine months before I could let go (and a bad case of mold that refused to be cured with tea tree oil--I had really

huge, thick dreads).

Did my powers go away because I cut my hair? No. (Though I do wish I hadn't cut it during a dark moon, because it took a *year* for it to grow back to my shoulders!! :lol:)

Now I've been thinking about making the dreadie tips into a bracelet, like those Victorian hair bracelet things. Sort of morbid, but I love creepy Victorian stuff. Or they might just sit in their box for the next 7 years...who knows. cuz I'm lazy.

Edited by Kupala

Sign in to follow this