Blyss

Hair cutting or not for magical potency

I think it's pure bull shit. And may I emphasis this statement?!!! Why? Because I've struggled with alopecia areata much of my life... I've lost my hair completely. I am a witch and I have power. It's not my hair or lack of my hair - if that was the case, I'd be the weakest most energy deprived person around and this is not the case.

• Upvote 1

Guest Elfyd

I think it's pure bull shit. And may I emphasis this statement?!!! Why? Because I've struggled with alopecia areata much of my life... I've lost my hair completely. I am a witch and I have power. It's not my hair or lack of my hair - if that was the case, I'd be the weakest most energy deprived person around and this is not the case.

A statement like this illustrates what we all know. That we are all individuals and as such our personal history and conditions do not echo anyone else's. Because ElizabethNickerson is unfortunate enough to suffer from this condition does not change the general overall praxis. Witches are a resilient and hard-headed bunch, we adapt, modify and change constantly, if EN has a powerful psyche and drive then hair or not she will be the driver of her own path. To discount the power of hair is like someone who has lost the use of fingers ( as a co-worker of mine did) but can still write and decided that hey cannot.

FFFF

Elf

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair? If being bald or having shorn hair meantt powerless, less magical potency - I would guess a lot of people would be affected. There are so many bald or somewhat hairless people in the world. I may have a somewhat uncommon condition (and please don't pity me because I "rock" the bald look quite well, thanks) but there are a lot of people who shave their heads or have androgenetica alopecia (female or male pattern baldness).

My thought is that if there is a connection - the connection is the hair is a cover - a cover - bear with me - over the crown chakra. A tremendous amount of energy pours in and out of the crown area (IMO) ... so perhaps the hair is a protective thing that actually protects our sixth sense, etc.?

Again, I feel pretty powerful since losing my hair and haven't not ever felt less magically potent. If anything, I feel stronger and more potent because of this freeing of this hair? Again, it's how you look it ... most people in my eyes, these days, have "bad hair" and I don't see it as a magical accessory but perhaps a protective security blanket?

• Upvote 1

The egyptians used to have their priests and magicians shave and pluck every hair from their body to be pure for their rituals and magic. Other traditions place emphasis on keeping hair - from simply head hair to entire body hair.

In part I think it's a confidence matter, some people feel much better with longer hair (I personally do, and I have several friends in the same vein, witchy or not) whilst others prefer shorter hair (I know a woman who recently in a fit of whimsy whilst sewing took the scissors and lopped off her ponytail at the base, her hair went down to her buttocks and she's never been happier)

In a sense of craft - witch or otherwise - it may be a balance between wilder and cultivated aspects of workings. Some initiations, for example, require the person has longer hair as part of the initiation is having it pulled out by others who are in a near frenzy, others such as the native example above feel it is a closeness to natural, a wilder, state.

Personally, hair is a secondary sexual characteristic it's plumage - but most plumage has superstitions and beliefs attached to it (Peacocks, anyone?... Hell, boobs have enough stories about them and can sure work magic on the opposite sex, and select people from the same)

In a way it can be a tool like any other, if the hair is treated as an extension of self then enough adaptations and tradition can instill this into it, if the hair is treated as a insulator against external forces or sight then that to can affect understanding and interaction with whatever the practitioner works with.

Confidence and faith are more important than a particular style, though that doesn't prevent it from contributing, collective belief I guess.

• Upvote 1

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair? If being bald or having shorn hair meantt powerless, less magical potency - I would guess a lot of people would be affected. There are so many bald or somewhat hairless people in the world. I may have a somewhat uncommon condition (and please don't pity me because I "rock" the bald look quite well, thanks) but there are a lot of people who shave their heads or have androgenetica alopecia (female or male pattern baldness).

My thought is that if there is a connection - the connection is the hair is a cover - a cover - bear with me - over the crown chakra. A tremendous amount of energy pours in and out of the crown area (IMO) ... so perhaps the hair is a protective thing that actually protects our sixth sense, etc.?

Again, I feel pretty powerful since losing my hair and haven't not ever felt less magically potent. If anything, I feel stronger and more potent because of this freeing of this hair? Again, it's how you look it ... most people in my eyes, these days, have "bad hair" and I don't see it as a magical accessory but perhaps a protective security blanket?

Maybe it is not the hair that is powerful, but the person's perception of the power of their hair that makes the difference. When my hair gets too long, I feel drained, like I'm suffocating. Anything passed my shoulders, and I feel just wrong. Yet, I know others who are quite happy with their long hair, as many here have mentioned. My husband started losing his hair when he was in his 20s. We knew it was going to happen, as his mother has lost all of her hair. Once he started looking like Bozo the Clown, at around 25, he decided to shave it all off. At first, I was opposed, but once I saw and felt how much happier he was without the burden of his receding hairline, I knew that bald was the way to go for him. Shaving his head gave my husband confidence, which frankly is sexy as hell.

• Upvote 1

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair?

In this case I see it more as the hair reflecting the energy of the person, not the hair itself dragging them down. Someone who is run down and just doesn't care anymore will often have hair that is lank and dull. When I'm sick, it shows in my hair. When I'm depressed, I don't care enough to care for my hair. Then when I start to feel better again, the first thing I'll do is comb out my hair and wash it.... and quickly it will start to reflect on the rest of me. Hair is an excellent indicator of how someone is feeling. But it isn't the only thing and certainly isn't going to be all that important to everyone.

It seems to be a truly individual thing.

Fascinating thread .. I agree with Jevne, it's not the hair alone that holds ones power but the persons perception of the significance of the hairs power that manifests into the locks..

Guest Elfyd

The egyptians used to have their priests and magicians shave and pluck every hair from their body to be pure for their rituals and magic. Other traditions place emphasis on keeping hair - from simply head hair to entire body hair.

In part I think it's a confidence matter, some people feel much better with longer hair (I personally do, and I have several friends in the same vein, witchy or not) whilst others prefer shorter hair (I know a woman who recently in a fit of whimsy whilst sewing took the scissors and lopped off her ponytail at the base, her hair went down to her buttocks and she's never been happier)

In a sense of craft - witch or otherwise - it may be a balance between wilder and cultivated aspects of workings. Some initiations, for example, require the person has longer hair as part of the initiation is having it pulled out by others who are in a near frenzy, others such as the native example above feel it is a closeness to natural, a wilder, state.

Personally, hair is a secondary sexual characteristic it's plumage - but most plumage has superstitions and beliefs attached to it (Peacocks, anyone?... Hell, boobs have enough stories about them and can sure work magic on the opposite sex, and select people from the same)

In a way it can be a tool like any other, if the hair is treated as an extension of self then enough adaptations and tradition can instill this into it, if the hair is treated as a insulator against external forces or sight then that to can affect understanding and interaction with whatever the practitioner works with.

Confidence and faith are more important than a particular style, though that doesn't prevent it from contributing, collective belief I guess.

8people,

VERY WELL PUT. An intelligent and unbiased overview.

FFFF

Elf

Guest Elfyd

EN.

As a reflection on your words:

I really do not think that referring to the prior posts as "pure bull shit" serves anyones purpose here, it does the membership a disservice.

You said you "suffered" with the ailment, I commented that it was "unfortunate", I did not offer you pity.

I am pleased to see that you are happy with your "situation".

Peace

FFFF

Elf

Hi Elizabeth

Please don't call other people's views 'bull shit'. It weakens the point of your otherwise excellent contribution to the discussion.

When your soul passes on, your hair is left behind. Power comes from within the soul, the earth and universe. They are all connected, the body (if buried) feeds the soil with nutrients via decomposition, but I don't think hair would determine someone's inner power. But it would be powerful in giving the earth nutrients when we leave our bodies behind, it is powerful in keeping our heads warm, and powerful in making some of us feel confident in the way we style it, which in itself links us to the goddess when we appreciate and feel confident within our own femininity.

Jade

Edited by sapphire109

When your soul passes on, your hair is left behind. Power comes from within the soul, the earth and universe. They are all connected, the body (if buried) feeds the soil with nutrients via decomposition, but I don't think hair would determine someone's inner power. But it would be powerful in giving the earth nutrients when we leave our bodies behind, it is powerful in keeping our heads warm, and powerful in making some of us feel confident in the way we style it, which in itself links us to the goddess when we appreciate and feel confident within our own femininity.

Jade

Which goddess are you referring to, Jade? And, what about the guys? Does this apply equally to masculinity? Men can have long hair, too, so is this connection equally applicable when speaking of men?

Which goddess are you referring to, Jade? And, what about the guys? Does this apply equally to masculinity? Men can have long hair, too, so is this connection equally applicable when speaking of men?

For me there's two aspects of the universe, one being masculine, one being feminine. And then for me it branches further into deities that are different aspects of the feminine energy eg. Diana, Aphrodite, Isis. As for the guys, I don't know why they wear their hair long, some may do it for that purpose, some might just like having long hair in general. I personally find men with long hair very attractive, I think it emphasizes their masculinity too. So hair being neutral, serves alot of different purposes for different people. We're all unique and work differently. I was talking about the goddess as in 'the universe' or 'god' the 'great spirit', but the feminine aspect of it. I don't think the universe has just one gender, it has both that can aid everyone or just work in different ways. I'm not saying I know everything about it, it's still a mystery to me, but that's just how I view it to grasp it in my own little mind. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

For me there's two aspects of the universe, one being masculine, one being feminine. And then for me it branches further into deities that are different aspects of the feminine energy eg. Diana, Aphrodite, Isis. As for the guys, I don't know why they wear their hair long, some may do it for that purpose, some might just like having long hair in general. I personally find men with long hair very attractive, I think it emphasizes their masculinity too. So hair being neutral, serves alot of different purposes for different people. We're all unique and work differently. I was talking about the goddess as in 'the universe' or 'god' the 'great spirit', but the feminine aspect of it. I don't think the universe has just one gender, it has both that can aid everyone or just work in different ways. I'm not saying I know everything about it, it's still a mystery to me, but that's just how I view it to grasp it in my own little mind. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

Not offended, just wondering. Masculine/feminine universal duality is associated with wicca, which I do not practice, so I wanted to make sure that I understood where you were coming from with your response.

Not offended, just wondering. Masculine/feminine universal duality is associated with wicca, which I do not practice, so I wanted to make sure that I understood where you were coming from with your response.

I don't practice Wicca either. No problem :)

As a male I shave my head... I find that it gives me a 'clearer mind' whilst practicing ;)

I don't practice Wicca either. No problem :)

I don't wish to offend you, either, but everything you have written thus far, Sapphire109, is heavily influenced by wicca from the universal duality to asking the universe to charge a crystal. I assumed you were wiccan. So, I stand corrected. :vhappywitch:

Guest Elfyd

I don't wish to offend you, either, but everything you have written thus far, Sapphire109, is heavily influenced by wicca from the universal duality to asking the universe to charge a crystal. I assumed you were wiccan. So, I stand corrected. :vhappywitch:

J-

Whether or not Sapphire109 is influenced by wicca I do not think it important as long as the influence is diminished by the members here through understanding and example. I say this because someone I revere has pointed out to me that I still have wicca residue in my psyche and approach. This came as a surprise to me, it shows how long (endless) the road is that we travel and certainly put me in my place and gave me pause to rethink my perspectives.

In the case of crystals we should not discount the lore of them and take into consideration that they are, in actuality, living, growing entities.

FFFF

Elf

Edited by Elfyd

J-

Whether or not Sapphire109 is influenced by wicca I do not think it important as long as the influence is diminished by the members here through understanding and example. I say this because someone I revere has pointed out to me that I still have wicca residue in my psyche and approach. This came as a surprise to me, it shows how long (endless) the road is that we travel and certainly put me in my place and gave me pause to rethink my perspectives.

In the case of crystals we should not discount the lore of them and take into consideration that they are, in actuality, living entities.

FFFF

Elf

Yes, hence the questions intended to challenge her wicca residue. If no one questions these perspectives, their logic, their application to Traditional Witchcraft, how will Sapphire109 or any of the other newbies ever learn to tell the difference? Not saying anything, not questioning the mindset, implies agreement with what has been said.

For example, using the terms lord and lady is clearly wiccan. I would be amiss if I didn't point out that I have never met a real Witch that would use those terms. That is wiccan residue. Nothing wrong with it, so I'm not bashing. It is just not related to Witchcraft.

If those new to the forum actually came here to learn about Traditional Witchcraft, I think they would appreciate a measure of candor and explanation on the part of the senior membership, so they can make realistic decisions about their Paths. They will need someone to say something about these differences in philosophy.

• Upvote 1

I have to ask, is it no longer required that new members actually read the forum guidlines, the explicitly clear explanation that this is NOT a wiccan site? Also, there is an entire thread about why it's not appropriate to use "blessings" and the like, as many of us do not wish to be "blessed" in any form. If there has been some change in the tone of the site, I must have missed the memo. Just saying...

Guest Elfyd

I have to ask, is it no longer required that new members actually read the forum guidlines, the explicitly clear explanation that this is NOT a wiccan site? Also, there is an entire thread about why it's not appropriate to use "blessings" and the like, as many of us do not wish to be "blessed" in any form. If there has been some change in the tone of the site, I must have missed the memo. Just saying...

It really is just a question of perspective. A lot of my responses to things like this are based on personal experience. I once entered a purely TW site and upon mentioning Llewellyn published book (one with great relevance to TW by the way) I was verbally attacked and challenged. I seriously considered dropping that place there and then but was talked into staying and thereby met a number of people who have come to be great influences on my current status.

Saying "...everything you have written thus far is heavily influenced by wicca..." does not take into account the current state of the persons learning curve or "evolution" or the motives for even using the words you found to be inappropriate.

Careful consideration and reminders are important to welcome those who are genuine and as we have seen seasoned members can miss the intro and it's finer points of entry criteria, none of us are perfect.

Just my perspective...

FFFF

Elf

Hi ej... here are some of my thoughts on this issue, can I stress they are not aimed at individuals, I am talking from a philosophical standpoint now!

To answer your question, no there has not been a change in the tone of this site. But equally we have always had new members who occasionally use a Wiccan greeting or convention without realising the context is inappropriate. I can remember back to 2006 when I first joined this site and can confirm that this is not new behaviour. What always happens is that one of our more established members or Mods will point it out and so the new member learns and adapts to Traditional ways, or leaves the site! I always find that members have beaten me to it when it comes to this, probably because of the time difference, but if no-one had mentioned it then one of the Mods would. The reason I don't step in if the members have already done so is that everybody makes mistakes and learns from them, so I feel it would be unkind to keep on about it without giving someone a chance to respond and learn. If they do not do this, however, then there would be an issue for Mods and Admin to deal with. I also think its important to remember that we are all fallible human beings and to vilify someone for making a mistake (as has happened in the past) is just cruel. I am just as proud as everyone else here of the unique niche this website has become and am committed to preserving it.

No worries. You made a very good point to balance the discussion.

This is the exact same reasoning that Pentecostals use. They believe the Bible says that a woman's hair is her glory and that she has power on her head because of the angels (whatever the fuck that means) as long as the hair remains long/uncut.

I was raised in a Pentecostal cult so probably would be best to ignore my opinion on this because I'm EXTREMELY biased on this subject, but I think its crap. To me hair is hair, long, short, dyed, shaved, it has whatever power you give it. If you love your long hair and feel that its powerful then by all means go with it, but that doesn't mean that this teaching is "right" or some sort of "absolute truth". To other people, hair is just hair.

Like I said, I'm warped in my opinion on this subject so everyone feel free to ignore my spew and continue on with your regularly scheduled discussion. :blobfire:

Been thinking about this today. I notice that I said more than once "hair is just hair" and "I am against attaching any higher significance to the length of a person's hair, etc. But, I seem to have a cycle of growing my hair out while I'm in a steady and predictable period of life, and then chopping it all off when I'm embarking on a major change. I've been growing my hair back out after cutting it short in 2008, and a few days ago I got the urge to cut it off again. I'm about to move away for a significant amount of time from the area I've lived all my life, and many changes are in the works. Hmm... :thinking:

One of those times where it occurs to me that I'm not always right, even about myself. :vhappywitch: