Sign in to follow this  
Blyss

Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Guest SorcererSupreme

The Aghoris, Sadhus, and Sikhs of India believe the hair to be an antenna to the gods. But since I was caught up in Buddhism I always liked the Warrior Monk look.

I've been shaving my hair since 1995, and only recently started growing it out. I have about 12 inches in most places, 6 inches on top and front. Worried about the threat of male pattern baldness I'm applying any and all methods for preventing that from happening.

I'm 42 years old and have shiny blonde hair, whereas my brother of 3 years younger than me has grey hair.

I've really big into the healing and Magickal properties of crystals so I'm hoping to make a Crystal Crown to aid in this benefit. I would love to have various crowns for various reasons. But I do believe there is power in the hair.

I found this link which discusses which crystals aid in the benefits of the hair. I have some Crystals, and a few more I'm waiting for in the mail.

https://shop.atperrys.com/blogs/healing-crystals-blog/guide-to-using-crystals-for-shiny-and-healthy-hair

This one Crystal not mentioned, Aragonite, prevents hair loss.

For the most part, I've been using Sports Headbands to hold crystals against my head and wrist bands with crystals underneath to have their crystal energy permeate my auric field and benefit me.

Edited by SorcererSupreme

Hair is alive. Hair is powerful. Hair is psychic.

It absorbs information in the universe, in reality and therefore empowers the intuition and instinct. You can use these to make decisions. This is a Native American philosophy, and I am in the Cherokee tribe. Both male and female grow their hair long. (Braids are useful to keep hair out of the way of work.)

DIY Shampoo for hair growth:

4 ounces vegetable glycerin 

1 tablespoon powdered goats' milk 

1 ounce white vinegar

6 drops rosemary essential oil

10 drops lavender essential oil

7-8 drops peppermint essential oil

1 drop menstrual blood (or blood from a pierced place on your body if you are a male) 

5 grams silk amino acids 

Dry rose petals and grind or blend them to powder.

Mix under the full moon all these things into an amber glass jar. Shake well in a clockwise circle. Chant: I desire long lovely hair. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't it once custom to cut your hair while mourning?

I think in Judaism it was the other way round, mourners were not permitted to cut their hair. (Could be wrong it's been quite a lot of years since Religious Studies GCSE...)

I think the underlying association here is with memory. I know the Lakhota and other peoples made the association that hair holds memory. Therefore when someone died, the remaining loved ones would cut their hair so they could 'embody' the loss thereby releasing it. It is a method of moving on and grieving. It would make sense to me that the Jewish practice could be the other side of the coin wherein you hold on to those memories as a means of honoring the person. Just a guess though.

I've always felt really weird without long hair, granted the only time I had short hair was about a month I went to my countries army and the 2-3 months I grew it back.   

I have really long hair, as yes, I do believe it holds a lot of power. Each hair has it's own root, nerve and tiny muscle attached to it. So it is an extension of your body and your nervous system. I can certainly feel if someone touches my hair without permission.

To me long hair represents, youth, freedom, power and beauty. a certain wildness and sensuality. Someone who cannot be controlled.

• Upvote 2

I'm not really sure if cutting my hair makes a difference. I do know that I only cut my hair twice a year if that but when I do sometimes I feel reinvigorated as if I was reborn. Then again maybe it's different for men? Many cultures did prize long hair so I wouldn't be shocked if it had a ring of truth to it.

When I was a teenager I had very long hair.  Now it has fallen out.  Wonder what I should make of that.

• Upvote 1

I have long hair, I think it contains a lot of power.

• Upvote 2

I adore long hair, but my own version is more like Sagefire, not like Onix. :)) 

• Upvote 1

I always felt that when I had long hair that my power was stronger, but I think that maybe it was simply a self image thing.  At this point being old and bald is just fine.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely a self image thing with me, but also my rebellious attitude showing. When I was young, Mother never let me grow my hair long, Mother has no say now.

Besides, my Husband likes it long.

• Upvote 1

My earrings and long hair pissed my parents off to no end.  It added alot to my teenage angst and let me get away with always wearing black.  I was pretty cool.

Black is great, it really shows off the cat hair.  I have become quite adept with a lint brush.

• Upvote 2

Which is the reason my pets are always black. I time my haircuts with the Moon and astrological calendar. And, like Onyx, my long hair makes me feel more "witchy".Plus, it looks better with the pointed hat :cool_witch:

• Upvote 1

Which is the reason my pets are always black. I time my haircuts with the Moon and astrological calendar. And, like Onyx, my long hair makes me feel more "witchy".Plus, it looks better with the pointed hat :cool_witch:

Cut your hair at the waxing moon to increase the growth, cut your hair at the waning moon to slow the growth. Never cut your hair and for sure you will get long hair.

I get a trim at my Birthday and before Yule. Twice a year and I trim my own bangs.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I dreadlock, and have for 5+ years, but cut/combed out my first set a year and a half ago (rough time, and sort of an experiment that I immediately regretted). I am finding that it took about a year to mostly recover from the trauma of that cutting, and to gain the strength back that I lost.  I'm still recovering, but, again, for the most part, I'm back to normal. So, not really keen on the idea of cutting hair.

I have found that my intuition/sensing ability, and general awareness, is affected by the length and integration of my hair. I wouldn't be surprised if my magickal potency is affected, too.

Edited by phantasmagoria
  • Upvote 2

I usually feel more like myself with longer hair, although I do trim my bangs when they start to curl in towards my eyes, and I find myself constantly blowing puffs of air to get them to move. I like the idea of offering up the clippings! Thanks so much for that, @WitchVillage!

Short or long hair doesn't really bother me. My hair grows very very quick anyways. I have found it's usually a good practice to get a haircut when trying to make major changes in my life. We also have a tradition in my family of the men getting our hair shaved off to get rid of illnesses.

As for power and whatnot I haven't really noticed a different. I use my hair in some workings. Sometimes leaving some strands in places to create an easy link with. I know witches who hang their cut hair on trees as offerings and the birds use it for nests.

• Upvote 1

My hair is growing out long, currently down my back. I think I'll try this full moon cutting business, might help it grow more. Hasn't been cut for about 4 years, so desperately needs a trim.

Mine is really long too, I am waiting for my regular Hairdresser, she will only trim the ends for me.  I don't trust anyone else.  Mine is down to my waist.

I do believe there is power in hair, in a way. Hair can hide our faces and make us feel invisible behind a curtain. It can also attract attention, make us look more intimidating, make us fit in.
I think the length and style of hair have that same influence when it comes to witchcraft. Want to focus on seductive, lingering magic? Long hair. More into chaos or just blasting your magic into the world? Bright red mohawk. Sea witchcraft? Get that mermaid hair dye!
My point is that I believe the real power is in allowing your hair to reflect something of yourself, whether it's long, short, natural, dyed, a wig, etc.
And of course baldness doesn't make someone less powerful or attuned. It's just something that happens, and for most people it sucks.

Sign in to follow this