• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#81 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

,I remember reading that women often cut their hair short after giving birth. One theory is that it's more practical and easier to deal with with the added work a baby brings - but another theory is that, having given birth a woman no longer has to prove her femininity with long hair.

I've heard that during pregnancy some women experience a massive shedding of hair, also. That could be another reason to do a big chop.

I've never understood the idea that short hair is easier to deal with... for me personally, it's a pain in the ass! I inherited my mothers hair that isn't curly, but kinda wildly wavy where it's all trying to go in different directions. The shorter it is, the more it wants to go all over the place and the harder it is to pull back out of my face and out of the way. Long, the weight tames it and I don't have to spend time styling it or trying to get it to behave. And if it's in my way, I just twist it into a bun and I'm done.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#82 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

Women are well known for changing their image after a significant change. Predominantly after a break up.

From a scientific viewpoint alterring appearance after breaking up is a subconcsious retaliation (that apparently can be traced back through incredibly old records and remains as well) that changing appearance will attract a different type of mate, ensuring a suitable and viable partner.

Symbollically I guess it's a form of shedding to prepare for something new which could apply to any change.

What about changing appearance as an outward reflection of our perception of our true self? Someone I dated once told me that I looked like a woodland princess with my long golden, reddish brown hair....so I chopped it off and dyed it dark brown. Volia`! No more woodland princess and he dumped me. I believe he dumped me because my look then gave an accurate reflection of my true self, which he apparently failed to see and it scared him and then I attracted a "suitable mate" that fit my spirit alot better.

#83 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

What about changing appearance as an outward reflection of our perception of our true self? Someone I dated once told me that I looked like a woodland princess with my long golden, reddish brown hair....so I chopped it off and dyed it dark brown. Volia`! No more woodland princess and he dumped me. I believe he dumped me because my look then gave an accurate reflection of my true self, which he apparently failed to see and it scared him and then I attracted a "suitable mate" that fit my spirit alot better.

A salient point. I salute you for your resolve to do this, and the end result.
FFFF
Elf

#84 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

My response was more in the context of a change in circumstances triggering a desire to change outward appearance, not a summary of the reason for change.

It's also curious to consider if a partner prevents a change in appearance. I know my first boyfriend was horribly posessive in this regard, to the point where if I wanted to leave the house I had to send a picture of what I was wearing to him for him to approve. Other partners have also given objections to piercings, but that's a more blanket matter in they only like certain forms of body modification in general.

So a part of changing appearance after breaking up can also be linked to restraint for a partners' desire versus a freedom to fulfil your own wishes.

#85 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

I think I may have derailed this topic a bit with this post:

Been thinking about this today. I notice that I said more than once "hair is just hair" and "I am against attaching any higher significance to the length of a person's hair, etc. But, I seem to have a cycle of growing my hair out while I'm in a steady and predictable period of life, and then chopping it all off when I'm embarking on a major change. I've been growing my hair back out after cutting it short in 2008, and a few days ago I got the urge to cut it off again. I'm about to move away for a significant amount of time from the area I've lived all my life, and many changes are in the works. Hmm... :thinking:

One of those times where it occurs to me that I'm not always right, even about myself. :vhappywitch:

as it now seems to be going along the lines of mundane change breeding more mundane change. I didn't make my point clear, but it was regarding transformation. I'm in the middle of a lot of changes, on more levels than appearance and location, and cutting my hair is in line with those. The location change fits in with it too, but is not the main point.

Whiterose, I agree about the outside matching the inside, people who are not able to feel the energy of others often make some wildly off base assumptions based on appearance. lol

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#86 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I'm of the mindset, that hair, whether it's on your head, pubic area, arm pit, legs or beard, has individual properties to be used as different workings, I don't believe a Witch should limit him/herself with what one has to work with. Witches are a creative bunch. I will give you all a personal example...................... hair on the tops of toes......... not Hobbit like to that extreme... but......... I've used that to make my steps purposeful, its my toe hair, and my steps, and my creativity of my charm. I have made a charm, that is of my DNA, and have a chain about my ankle, when working. Hidden in plain sight to the "ordinary people " to them it looks like a cool ankle bracelet, and fashionable...... to me... well.. I know what it is, I'm it's creator.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#87 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

My response was more in the context of a change in circumstances triggering a desire to change outward appearance, not a summary of the reason for change.

It's also curious to consider if a partner prevents a change in appearance. I know my first boyfriend was horribly posessive in this regard, to the point where if I wanted to leave the house I had to send a picture of what I was wearing to him for him to approve. Other partners have also given objections to piercings, but that's a more blanket matter in they only like certain forms of body modification in general.

So a part of changing appearance after breaking up can also be linked to restraint for a partners' desire versus a freedom to fulfil your own wishes.

There is absolutely no way in hell I would tolerate that. I would send the son of a bitch a pic alright; of me with some other guy.

#88 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

I thought some of you might find this interesting, maybe good for a laugh or a groan! lol http://holymagichair...wordpress/?p=36

This article was written by a Pentecostal preacher, about another Pentecostal preacher's assertion that long hair has magical power. The United Pentecostal Church is currently warring against itself about their uncut hair doctrine, some preachers are stating that uncut hair has power within itself, and others state it does not and is just a matter of following commandment. Anyway, considering that the preacher talked about in the article presented his viewpoint from a stance of "if only Christians knew what the witches know", I thought it was relevant, and kind of hilarious. :vhappywitch:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#89 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I thought some of you might find this interesting, maybe good for a laugh or a groan! lol http://holymagichair...wordpress/?p=36

This article was written by a Pentecostal preacher, about another Pentecostal preacher's assertion that long hair has magical power. The United Pentecostal Church is currently warring against itself about their uncut hair doctrine, some preachers are stating that uncut hair has power within itself, and others state it does not and is just a matter of following commandment. Anyway, considering that the preacher talked about in the article presented his viewpoint from a stance of "if only Christians knew what the witches know", I thought it was relevant, and kind of hilarious. :vhappywitch:

If somehow these people could actually, impartially remove themselves to a place of clear vision of what has been said in the link you sent they would know what I do, that they have no command over their own judgement.
Quotes and references are used to promote a doctrine of fear and control, however no time is spent on determining who the quotees are or their own agendas or validity.
This is so typical of the kind of thing being spouted in the media in general. Dark Ages anyone?
FFFF
Elf

#90 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

I've heard that during pregnancy some women experience a massive shedding of hair, also. That could be another reason to do a big chop.

Not just during pregnancy-this bloomin time of year for me. The dog and I seem to be in competition at the mo! The way it's going I'll be able to stuff a cushion at some point!

C.G. my mind goes along similar ways to yours on this, you put it so very well as always.
That said no Hobbit feet for me either-I'd struggle with that one.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#91 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing!

Incidentally the passage in Corinthians does say "it is a shameful thing for a woman to shave her head or cut her hair." Which makes me think it is a public decency thing rather than St Paul (the closet homosexual) thinking there was power in a woman's hair.

#92 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:32 PM

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing!

Incidentally the passage in Corinthians does say "it is a shameful thing for a woman to shave her head or cut her hair." Which makes me think it is a public decency thing rather than St Paul (the closet homosexual) thinking there was power in a woman's hair.

Yeah, I don't know why Paul said half the shit he did, but it is quite sad and ridiculous the way people in present times use his words try to scare people into doing what they want..

#93 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, I don't know why Paul said half the shit he did, but it is quite sad and ridiculous the way people in present times use his words try to scare people into doing what they want..

Well if the really followed his words then they wouldn't ever get married or have sex thus meaning the ridiculousness would have died out a long time ago!

That guy had some real issues with women and sex, you don't get that messed up unless you are repressing something!

#94 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

That's what I've always heard. I think it's funny how hard it is for me to dispel this belief, even though our times indicate women with shorter hair (especially older women, of which I am one), as much more 'with it' and stylish than those with longer hair.

Pffft! Wear what suits you and looks good on you. I personally like long hair on women - older, younger and in-between. But, if you look good in shorter hair, go with it. I can't stand when fashion dictates...and don't listen the the sheeple.

There are many legends about physical power being held the the hair. Not sure if it true or not. I have known powerful people with no hair.

#95 barefoot tabby

barefoot tabby

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

I have only had short hair twice in my life, and both times life has been that little bit more of a struggle. I find it harder to hold it together. The first time was when I was 13, the bad luck hit me hard. Then in January, I don't know why I did it, I love my hair long; I just cut it all off to my chin, and it started again. I'm growing it back though, just a few more inches and I'll feel somewhat comfortable in my skin. :embarrased:
dreamscaper...

#96 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:44 AM

I have short hair and have worn it short for a long time. Ironically, for me, the unhappiest time in my life, and when my personal power was at its lowest ebb (it was the tail end of a bad marriage), I went for years without cutting my hair and it ended up hanging to the middle of my back. When I got divorced, I had it cut in a flicky little crop and I haven't grown it out since. I look better with short hair. I don't think it has any effect on my power, and so it doesn't. But if you think it does, it will. That's my opinion. :)

#97 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

To me hair is hair, long, short, dyed, shaved, it has whatever power you give it. If you love your long hair and feel that its powerful then by all means go with it, but that doesn't mean that this teaching is "right" or some sort of "absolute truth". To other people, hair is just hair.

Like I said, I'm warped in my opinion on this subject so everyone feel free to ignore my spew and continue on with your regularly scheduled discussion. :blobfire:

I agree with you 100% on this and was not raised in a religious cult that fretted over hair or anything else to taint my opinion. Because I strongly believe that a witches power comes from within her very core, I can not subscribe to beliefs that long hair makes one stronger, while short hair makes one weaker. It's what strength one gives it. If one person believes that it all boils down to their hair being their strength then they are probably right, because within their core, they've put all this faith in their hair making them strongest. On the other hand, if another person thinks of hair has nothing to do with their powers, then for them it won't.

Since the post author has this strong conviction about her hair being the pillar of her strength, then it probably would not be a great idea for her to cut it at this point in time. IMO

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#98 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Also, at some points in time, the shearing of a woman's hair was akin to a type of rape, it was a humiliation, a punishment, and a means of control.

M

I might be wrong but I also thought I've heard of groups who shave or singe their hair short as a way of mourning over the loss of a loved one.

Anyhow it's interesting to see what hair meant to various groups.

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#99 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

Absolutely, and he also ranted on about men should have their hair cut short.. Funny that this diamond geezer should be treated with such awe and respect when so many mystics have described Jesus sporting long hair? So what is he saying? 'Hey Jesu! go to the barbers mate! you sinning little shit'....

I periodically get the compulsion to shave the hair on my head off, and it helps me focus... I also have now grown some of my hair on my head longer than the rest imbued with intention, which I will avoid being cut for a time, while cutting the rest of me barnet... the power is what you give it... and also the power it gives... which came first? who feckin knows! ;)

#100 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

Absolutely, and he also ranted on about men should have their hair cut short.. Funny that this diamond geezer should be treated with such awe and respect when so many mystics have described Jesus sporting long hair? So what is he saying? 'Hey Jesu! go to the barbers mate! you sinning little shit'....

Certainly sounds like it, most of Paul's stuff was ridiculously contradictory imo...

I periodically get the compulsion to shave the hair on my head off, and it helps me focus...

Exactly.. although I just cut mine short, not shave it. ;)