* * * * * 1 votes

Hair cutting or not for magical potency

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

It seems that during the Viet Nam War special forces in the war department had sent undercover experts to comb American Indian Reservations looking for talented scouts, for tough young men trained to move stealthily through rough terrain. They were especially looking for men with outstanding, almost supernatural, tracking abilities. Before being approached, these carefully selected men were extensively documented as experts in tracking and survival.

With the usual enticements, the well proven smooth phrases used to enroll new recruits, some of these indian trackers were then enlisted. Once enlisted, an amazing thing happened. Whatever talents and skills they had possessed on the reservation seemed to mysteriously disappear, as recruit after recruit failed to perform as expected in the field.

Serious casualities and failures of performance led the government to contract expensive testing of these recruits, and this is what was found. When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied constantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information.

So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests.

Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores.

Here is a typical test:
The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible.

In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him.

This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed.

So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. "
Comment:

The mammalian body has evolved over millions of years. Survival skills of human and animal at times seem almost supernatural. Science is constantly coming up with more discoveries about the amazing abilities of man and animal to survive. Each part of the body has highly sensitive work to perform for the survival and well being of the body as a whole.The body has a reason for every part of itself.

Hair is an extension of the nervous system, it can be correctly seen as exteriorized nerves, a type of highly evolved 'feelers' or 'antennae' that transmit vast amounts of important information to the brainstem, the limbic system, and the neocortex.
Not only does hair in people, including facial hair in men, provide an information highway reaching the brain, hair also emits energy, the electromagnetic energy emitted by the brain into the outer environment. This has been seen in Kirlian photography when a person is photographed with long hair and then rephotographed after the hair is cut.

When hair is cut, receiving and sending transmissions to and from the environment are greatly hampered. This results in numbing-out .

Cutting of hair is a contributing factor to unawareness of environmental distress in local ecosystems. It is also a contributing factor to insensitivity in relationships of all kinds. It contributes to sexual frustration.

Conclusion:
In searching for solutions for the distress in our world, it may be time for us to consider that many of our most basic assumptions about reality are in error. It may be that a major part of the solution is looking at us in the face each morning when we see ourselves in the mirror.

:)

Wyrd,
This makes so much sense to me and validates some of my personal "understanding" of the human condition. Your parting comment resonates with me and is one to carry into the day and beyond.
FFFF
Elf

#42 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

It seems that during the Viet Nam War special forces in the war department had sent undercover experts to comb American Indian Reservations looking for talented scouts, for tough young men trained to move stealthily through rough terrain. They were especially looking for men with outstanding, almost supernatural, tracking abilities. Before being approached, these carefully selected men were extensively documented as experts in tracking and survival.

With the usual enticements, the well proven smooth phrases used to enroll new recruits, some of these indian trackers were then enlisted. Once enlisted, an amazing thing happened. Whatever talents and skills they had possessed on the reservation seemed to mysteriously disappear, as recruit after recruit failed to perform as expected in the field.

Serious casualities and failures of performance led the government to contract expensive testing of these recruits, and this is what was found. When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied constantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information.

So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests.

Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores.

Here is a typical test:
The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible.

In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him.

This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed.

So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. "

Comment:
The mammalian body has evolved over millions of years. Survival skills of human and animal at times seem almost supernatural. Science is constantly coming up with more discoveries about the amazing abilities of man and animal to survive. Each part of the body has highly sensitive work to perform for the survival and well being of the body as a whole.The body has a reason for every part of itself.
Hair is an extension of the nervous system, it can be correctly seen as exteriorized nerves, a type of highly evolved 'feelers' or 'antennae' that transmit vast amounts of important information to the brainstem, the limbic system, and the neocortex.

Not only does hair in people, including facial hair in men, provide an information highway reaching the brain, hair also emits energy, the electromagnetic energy emitted by the brain into the outer environment. This has been seen in Kirlian photography when a person is photographed with long hair and then rephotographed after the hair is cut.

When hair is cut, receiving and sending transmissions to and from the environment are greatly hampered. This results in numbing-out .

Cutting of hair is a contributing factor to unawareness of environmental distress in local ecosystems. It is also a contributing factor to insensitivity in relationships of all kinds. It contributes to sexual frustration.

Conclusion:
In searching for solutions for the distress in our world, it may be time for us to consider that many of our most basic assumptions about reality are in error. It may be that a major part of the solution is looking at us in the face each morning when we see ourselves in the mirror.

Extreamly thought provoking :)

#43 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Extreamly thought provoking :)

I agree, so the question is why do I keep my hair short. :cuckoo:

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#44 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Wyrd - that was very interesting. If you consider the animal kingdom, mammals whiskers, fur and tails often act as an extra sense so it would make sense for humans to have similar abilities. We lost our fur when we evolved sweat glands and yet some parts of our body retain hair, underarm and pubic hair is for hygiene reasons but the hair on our head has no "purpose" that we are aware of, but it seems (from what you posted) that it does indeed have an extra-sensory purpose. This is something I might look into more.

#45 Pirkkodiva

Pirkkodiva

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

I've always thought that older ladies with long hair look beautiful! I am growing my hair out right now, more for looks than for magic. But I do believe that hair is very potent, and have used spells with hair before and think they are very effective.

That's what I've always heard. I think it's funny how hard it is for me to dispel this belief, even though our times indicate women with shorter hair (especially older women, of which I am one), as much more 'with it' and stylish than those with longer hair.

#46 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Himself, has hair longer than mine. Mine is passed shoulders. He stopped seeing the barber when he retired. I trim it for him, but again on a moon cycle. He also sports a beard, as that wasn't allowed when he worked. He jokingly muses that he should be clean shaven again. I give him " the "Look" with the added one eyebrow lift " and say, well go for it all cut your hair too. " He then winces, and mumbles, " I don't know about that, I'm accostumed to my hair, it's " who " it is to me "... Now what the hell is the " who " to him. He doesn't have a clue... as to " who ". lol. I just know that he would never go back to short hair, nor will he shave his face. I believe he responds to his hair, in a mystical way, yet can't quite put his finger on to what his hair means to him. " The who " .............

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#47 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

Wyrd - that was very interesting. If you consider the animal kingdom, mammals whiskers, fur and tails often act as an extra sense so it would make sense for humans to have similar abilities. We lost our fur when we evolved sweat glands and yet some parts of our body retain hair, underarm and pubic hair is for hygiene reasons but the hair on our head has no "purpose" that we are aware of, but it seems (from what you posted) that it does indeed have an extra-sensory purpose. This is something I might look into more.

Midnightblue - Many sea creatures have extraordinary electrical / electromagnetic senses; sharks come to mind, however they don't have hair, whiskers and the like, I wonder how that fits with the discussion, but I don't want to drift too far off topic.

Your comments about "underarm and pubic hair being for hygiene reasons" is interesting, care to elaborate on your thoughts and feelings.

Body hair traps moisture and bacteria providing an ideal breading ground, and is closely followed by it's best friend; BO, so I'm not completely convinced that they exists for hygiene reasons, but that's just my take on it, maybe they serve another purpose related to hairs ability to sense and transmit.

Wyrd

#48 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Midnightblue - Many sea creatures have extraordinary electrical / electromagnetic senses; sharks come to mind, however they don't have hair, whiskers and the like, I wonder how that fits with the discussion, but I don't want to drift too far off topic.

Your comments about "underarm and pubic hair being for hygiene reasons" is interesting, care to elaborate on your thoughts and feelings.

Body hair traps moisture and bacteria providing an ideal breading ground, and is closely followed by it's best friend; BO, so I'm not completely convinced that they exists for hygiene reasons, but that's just my take on it, maybe they serve another purpose related to hairs ability to sense and transmit.

Actually that may not be correct for underarm hair, but pubic hair works similar to nasal hair, stopping foreign particles from entering your body. Although that is less relevant for men than women. I'm not so sure on underarm and leg hair, they may well be a throwback from before our sweat glands developed and evolution hasn't quite caught up, I may look into it but I am fairly sure underarm hair has a function. It's just quite interesting that our heads still grow hair and quite a lot of it and I believe it must have some function other than to attract a mate.

#49 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

It's just quite interesting that our heads still grow hair and quite a lot of it and I believe it must have some function other than to attract a mate.

I would agree Midnightblue.

I'm in the process of looking for more info on the subject.

Wyrd

#50 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I've not been to the hairdressers for over 20 years, I do trim my hair once in a while though, so it is gradually getting longer, it's past my shoulders, but the back is longer than the front. My hair and head are very sensitive, I hate my hair being pulled. If someone does pull my hair, my brain sends a message straight to my fist., Lol.

#51 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

I think it's pure bull shit. And may I emphasis this statement?!!! Why? Because I've struggled with alopecia areata much of my life... I've lost my hair completely. I am a witch and I have power. It's not my hair or lack of my hair - if that was the case, I'd be the weakest most energy deprived person around and this is not the case.

#52 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

I think it's pure bull shit. And may I emphasis this statement?!!! Why? Because I've struggled with alopecia areata much of my life... I've lost my hair completely. I am a witch and I have power. It's not my hair or lack of my hair - if that was the case, I'd be the weakest most energy deprived person around and this is not the case.

A statement like this illustrates what we all know. That we are all individuals and as such our personal history and conditions do not echo anyone else's. Because ElizabethNickerson is unfortunate enough to suffer from this condition does not change the general overall praxis. Witches are a resilient and hard-headed bunch, we adapt, modify and change constantly, if EN has a powerful psyche and drive then hair or not she will be the driver of her own path. To discount the power of hair is like someone who has lost the use of fingers ( as a co-worker of mine did) but can still write and decided that hey cannot.
FFFF
Elf

#53 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair? If being bald or having shorn hair meantt powerless, less magical potency - I would guess a lot of people would be affected. There are so many bald or somewhat hairless people in the world. I may have a somewhat uncommon condition (and please don't pity me because I "rock" the bald look quite well, thanks) but there are a lot of people who shave their heads or have androgenetica alopecia (female or male pattern baldness).

My thought is that if there is a connection - the connection is the hair is a cover - a cover - bear with me - over the crown chakra. A tremendous amount of energy pours in and out of the crown area (IMO) ... so perhaps the hair is a protective thing that actually protects our sixth sense, etc.?

Again, I feel pretty powerful since losing my hair and haven't not ever felt less magically potent. If anything, I feel stronger and more potent because of this freeing of this hair? Again, it's how you look it ... most people in my eyes, these days, have "bad hair" and I don't see it as a magical accessory but perhaps a protective security blanket?

#54 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

The egyptians used to have their priests and magicians shave and pluck every hair from their body to be pure for their rituals and magic. Other traditions place emphasis on keeping hair - from simply head hair to entire body hair.

In part I think it's a confidence matter, some people feel much better with longer hair (I personally do, and I have several friends in the same vein, witchy or not) whilst others prefer shorter hair (I know a woman who recently in a fit of whimsy whilst sewing took the scissors and lopped off her ponytail at the base, her hair went down to her buttocks and she's never been happier)

In a sense of craft - witch or otherwise - it may be a balance between wilder and cultivated aspects of workings. Some initiations, for example, require the person has longer hair as part of the initiation is having it pulled out by others who are in a near frenzy, others such as the native example above feel it is a closeness to natural, a wilder, state.

Personally, hair is a secondary sexual characteristic it's plumage - but most plumage has superstitions and beliefs attached to it (Peacocks, anyone?... Hell, boobs have enough stories about them and can sure work magic on the opposite sex, and select people from the same)

In a way it can be a tool like any other, if the hair is treated as an extension of self then enough adaptations and tradition can instill this into it, if the hair is treated as a insulator against external forces or sight then that to can affect understanding and interaction with whatever the practitioner works with.

Confidence and faith are more important than a particular style, though that doesn't prevent it from contributing, collective belief I guess.

#55 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair? If being bald or having shorn hair meantt powerless, less magical potency - I would guess a lot of people would be affected. There are so many bald or somewhat hairless people in the world. I may have a somewhat uncommon condition (and please don't pity me because I "rock" the bald look quite well, thanks) but there are a lot of people who shave their heads or have androgenetica alopecia (female or male pattern baldness).

My thought is that if there is a connection - the connection is the hair is a cover - a cover - bear with me - over the crown chakra. A tremendous amount of energy pours in and out of the crown area (IMO) ... so perhaps the hair is a protective thing that actually protects our sixth sense, etc.?

Again, I feel pretty powerful since losing my hair and haven't not ever felt less magically potent. If anything, I feel stronger and more potent because of this freeing of this hair? Again, it's how you look it ... most people in my eyes, these days, have "bad hair" and I don't see it as a magical accessory but perhaps a protective security blanket?

Maybe it is not the hair that is powerful, but the person's perception of the power of their hair that makes the difference. When my hair gets too long, I feel drained, like I'm suffocating. Anything passed my shoulders, and I feel just wrong. Yet, I know others who are quite happy with their long hair, as many here have mentioned. My husband started losing his hair when he was in his 20s. We knew it was going to happen, as his mother has lost all of her hair. Once he started looking like Bozo the Clown, at around 25, he decided to shave it all off. At first, I was opposed, but once I saw and felt how much happier he was without the burden of his receding hairline, I knew that bald was the way to go for him. Shaving his head gave my husband confidence, which frankly is sexy as hell.

#56 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

No, I just don't agree. Sure I'm biased but I'm also very attune to energy and aware of people's hair. I've encountered a lot of people, not particularly powerful people, with a lot of hair. If anything I find hair drains people, pulls them down. How many people do you meet that are low energy, depressed and stuck in ruts and they have long unkempt hair?

In this case I see it more as the hair reflecting the energy of the person, not the hair itself dragging them down. Someone who is run down and just doesn't care anymore will often have hair that is lank and dull. When I'm sick, it shows in my hair. When I'm depressed, I don't care enough to care for my hair. Then when I start to feel better again, the first thing I'll do is comb out my hair and wash it.... and quickly it will start to reflect on the rest of me. Hair is an excellent indicator of how someone is feeling. But it isn't the only thing and certainly isn't going to be all that important to everyone.

It seems to be a truly individual thing.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#57 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Fascinating thread .. I agree with Jevne, it's not the hair alone that holds ones power but the persons perception of the significance of the hairs power that manifests into the locks..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#58 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:18 AM

The egyptians used to have their priests and magicians shave and pluck every hair from their body to be pure for their rituals and magic. Other traditions place emphasis on keeping hair - from simply head hair to entire body hair.

In part I think it's a confidence matter, some people feel much better with longer hair (I personally do, and I have several friends in the same vein, witchy or not) whilst others prefer shorter hair (I know a woman who recently in a fit of whimsy whilst sewing took the scissors and lopped off her ponytail at the base, her hair went down to her buttocks and she's never been happier)

In a sense of craft - witch or otherwise - it may be a balance between wilder and cultivated aspects of workings. Some initiations, for example, require the person has longer hair as part of the initiation is having it pulled out by others who are in a near frenzy, others such as the native example above feel it is a closeness to natural, a wilder, state.

Personally, hair is a secondary sexual characteristic it's plumage - but most plumage has superstitions and beliefs attached to it (Peacocks, anyone?... Hell, boobs have enough stories about them and can sure work magic on the opposite sex, and select people from the same)

In a way it can be a tool like any other, if the hair is treated as an extension of self then enough adaptations and tradition can instill this into it, if the hair is treated as a insulator against external forces or sight then that to can affect understanding and interaction with whatever the practitioner works with.

Confidence and faith are more important than a particular style, though that doesn't prevent it from contributing, collective belief I guess.

8people,

VERY WELL PUT. An intelligent and unbiased overview.
FFFF
Elf

#59 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

EN.
As a reflection on your words:
I really do not think that referring to the prior posts as "pure bull shit" serves anyones purpose here, it does the membership a disservice.
You said you "suffered" with the ailment, I commented that it was "unfortunate", I did not offer you pity.
I am pleased to see that you are happy with your "situation".
Peace
FFFF
Elf

#60 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hi Elizabeth
Please don't call other people's views 'bull shit'. It weakens the point of your otherwise excellent contribution to the discussion.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.