228 replies to this topic

#21 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Oh my, could this group be called the Splint Enders's ? Kinda hairy... almost sounds like a Rock Band. Michelle on the mike, Sir Elf on the horns, and Oneironaut on the drums. I'd pay to see this :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

Don't put me on drums, I can't keep a steady beat to save my life. If I were in a band I would be more along the lines of the guy in Mighty Mighty Bosstones that just dances in the background because he can't sing or play an instrument, yet his friends still took pity on him and let him be a member even though he dances like he's having a seizure.

Back around to the har topic: Thinking more about "potency" in the hair brought to mind the opposite end of the spectrum, as I understand that there are those who purposely have kept their hair short or shaved, not due to length having any consideration for their personal power, but moreso to prevent others from using hair clippings against them through sympathetic magick.
I was taught that a hex/curse could be further empowered by having a focus item of personal nature to the intended target. Hair, nail clippings, blood, etc are about as personal as you can get...and hair is usually the easier to acquire stealthily (of a physical nature at least).

-- Oneironaut

#22 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

I was taught that a hex/curse could be further empowered by having a focus item of personal nature to the intended target. Hair, nail clippings, blood, etc are about as personal as you can get...and hair is usually the easier to acquire stealthily (of a physical nature at least).

Not just a hex/curse - any working aimed at another individual. I've used hair in healing spells, too.

Thankfully we don't have many visitors. Otherwise I'd be disposing of my 'discards' better. I know people who flush all their trims (hair, nails) for this exact reason. As it is, I just throw 'em in the paper trash, which we burn.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#23 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Don't put me on drums, I can't keep a steady beat to save my life. If I were in a band I would be more along the lines of the guy in Mighty Mighty Bosstones that just dances in the background because he can't sing or play an instrument, yet his friends still took pity on him and let him be a member even though he dances like he's having a seizure.:carrot: :lolol:

Back around to the( har) topic:

Thinking more about "potency" in the hair brought to mind the opposite end of the spectrum, as I understand that there are those who purposely have kept their hair short or shaved, not due to length having any consideration for their personal power, but moreso to prevent others from using hair clippings against them through sympathetic magick.

Sorry I was still giggling. It's not just the hair on your head, it could be anything with a DNA stamp, from what I've discovered. Eyebrow, nose, leg, pubic, each area of the body has separate/different energies, I would surmize from working with it. Depends on intent of course as to how the Witch would incorporate the casting of the energy force. Also I don't give much creedence to salon owners/barbers as when I have walked into their shop, I know they are
"Ordinary People" and wouldn't even have a clue as to what to do with my hair. And to just add, I personally have worked without another's DNA, as I don't put limits on the Craft/Arte in my workings. It's great to have that though, for an extra "ummphph" but not necessary, if it's not available at the time. One could use animal hair, for a working as a representative for the nature of the spell. If one creates a poppet, lets say, why not use the chocolate lab's hair to represent the human hair or the hair off the cat brush. :yes:
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#24 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Back around to the( har) topic:
CG, you caught me lol. My eye's going to start twitching if I don't proof read my posts better...

It's great to have that though, for an extra "ummphph" but not necessary, if it's not available at the time.
I agree completely. Symbolic / Sympathetic representations are merely for additional focus, and if one can utilize the target's DNA itself (from whichever part of the body) then all the better as far as I'm concerned. I personally am screwed right now as I'm molting like a snake everywhere I go due to a nasty sunburn I got last week at my son's Boy Scout crossover.

I suppose what I am trying to examine is the dichotomy of this situation: On the one side you have the belief that the hair can enhance one's personal magickal "potency", and therefore the longer the better. On the opposing side, the belief that those same locks could be used against you in the wrong hands, therefore the shorter the better.
:stirring:

-- Oneironaut

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Perhaps slightly off-topic: In my upbringing there was never a focus on whether long or short hair had any effect on magickal potency. What really caught my attention about this post (and another I saw last week) are the comments about cutting hair on the full moon to help growth. I thought this was a family tradition (my mother & aunt always cut according to moon-phase), and I've never come across this anywhere else until this group. Couldn't say where my mother and aunt picked it up, but they've followed that hair cutting tradition as long as I can remember. I am most intrigued now...

*edited for spelling errors...I'm OCD like that =)

Oneironaut,

Cutting hair on the full moon is a tradition within my family, also. It has more to do with health and strength, than growth, though I suppose you can't have one without the other. My family members aren't that concerned with overall length, just health. The general consensus is that hair doesn't give you strength; it reflects inner vitality.

For example, my mother had long hair for many years. She simply refused to cut it, but at one point it stopped looking healthy. It became thin and scraggly. Eventually, she cut it, and it looks 100% better. In fact, her strength seems to have returned with the removal of the dead, brittle hair.

#26 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Just on a side note, as I do not want to high-jack this thread. It's been discussed numerous times in other posts/threads due to it's historical reference. During the Burning Times, many if not all heads of women and men were shaved, by the Inquistors. I personally believe that it wasn't because of the smell of burning hair, but symbolic. I know from what I read about Frau Peller.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#27 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Just on a side note, as I do not want to high-jack this thread. It's been discussed numerous times in other posts/threads due to it's historical reference. During the Burning Times, many if not all heads of women and men were shaved, by the Inquistors. I personally believe that it wasn't because of the smell of burning hair, but symbolic. I know from what I read about Frau Peller.

Regards,
Gypsy

I always considered the shaving of the accused's head to be an act intended to defile or shame the individual. Perhaps, the idea to take that action is a hold-over from some ancient belief regarding the power of an individual's hair. As already mentioned, other religions, also, have mythos related to hair, so this is not outside of the realm of possibility. I wonder, however, if after cutting the individual's hair, the accusers did something specific with it. We have already indicated that hair can be used to perform magic either on behalf of or against another. Does anyone have any reference to what the accusers did with the hair? Did they use it in an effort to protect themselves from other Witches, for example?

#28 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

I always considered the shaving of the accused's head to be an act intended to defile or shame the individual. Perhaps, the idea to take that action is a hold-over from some ancient belief regarding the power of an individual's hair. As already mentioned, other religions, also, have mythos related to hair, so this is not outside of the realm of possibility. I wonder, however, if after cutting the individual's hair, the accusers did something specific with it. We have already indicated that hair can be used to perform magic either on behalf of or against another. Does anyone have any reference to what the accusers did with the hair? Did they use it in an effort to protect themselves from other Witches, for example?

I've never read anything that suggested what they did with the hair after shaving. But I have read that shaving of the entire body was not only humiliate the individual, but also to see if there is a hidden 'witches mark' or 'devil's mark'.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

I've never read anything that suggested what they did with the hair after shaving. But I have read that shaving of the entire body was not only humiliate the individual, but also to see if there is a hidden 'witches mark' or 'devil's mark'.

Oh, yeah! Forgot about that part. Mine is behind my left knee. Feel free to shave my legs to find it.

#30 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

On a scientific note, hair retains a persons history for example when testing for drug use a hair sample is taken as it retains what was in the body at the time.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#31 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Oh my, could this group be called the Splint Enders's ? Kinda hairy... almost sounds like a Rock Band. Michelle on the mike, Sir Elf on the horns, and Oneironaut on the drums. I'd pay to see this :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

I think the name "Herr Schpeller und der Harr Spooners" has a nice ring to it. Oneieronaut on the boardwalk, Michele on the lookout and myself on the dole. "All together now...."
FFFF-sharp
Elf

#32 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sorry to be Off topic here, but does cutting/trimming the hair on a full moon actually help it to grow faster? Because mine simply REFUSES to grow any further than slightly below my shoulders despite me trimming it by 1 CM ( approx) every few weeks to try and encourage it.

It seriously annoys the hell out of me , because I have always wanted hair that is at least elbow length, and mine has never ever grown that long.

I haven't had my hair actually cut properly since I was 10 years old, just trimmed any dead ends. And it's still never grown longer than it is now :(

#33 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Stop trimming it. It grows at an incredibly slow rate and you are probably cutting off the growth. Each person has a set length the hair will grow apparently, maybe this is yours? Though I do know when the hair gets to just passed the shoulder it seems to stop for ages.

I did cut my hair on the waxing moon once, not the full and it didn't do much, but then I didn't have the belief behind it needed at the time. I'm waiting til the 2nd quarter to trim mine again, as I want it to grow longer again.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#34 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

I am an old fashioned girl and have long hair I can sit on. It wasn't a conscious decision to grow it long, but I have always felt uncomfortable cutting it. So I don't have to guard against cuttings being taken for nefarious reasons (as if anyone with that intent would be let in the house!!) but I am careful with my brush and don't take a brush or comb out and about in my handbag.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#35 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

Wish I'd seen this thread a week ago before I got my hair trimmed on the waning moon, it hasn't felt right since actually. This thread also explains why I keep wanting to grow my hair, for some reason I kept getting it chopped because I was told it looked better but I have always really wanted long hair and finally decided to grow it out about a year ago.

I guess it depends on personal preference, maybe hair only has the power we imbue it with?

#36 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Sorry to be Off topic here, but does cutting/trimming the hair on a full moon actually help it to grow faster? Because mine simply REFUSES to grow any further than slightly below my shoulders despite me trimming it by 1 CM ( approx) every few weeks to try and encourage it.

It seriously annoys the hell out of me , because I have always wanted hair that is at least elbow length, and mine has never ever grown that long.

I haven't had my hair actually cut properly since I was 10 years old, just trimmed any dead ends. And it's still never grown longer than it is now :(

Average hair growth is only 1cm per month... so if you are trimming off 1cm every few weeks, you're cutting it at the same rate it grows. I seriously doubt you've reached your terminal length at just past your shoulders. Everyone has a different growth cycle for their hair (hell, individual hairs on your head can have different growth cycles), but the majority of people can at least grow butt length hair.

Regular trims don't encourage growth, unless you have a ton of damage. And then, it's just because you have to take off the damage that's causing your hair to break off in order for it to grow. I don't trim my hair at all and it grows faster than average. Once in a while during the full moon I'll do a 'search and destroy', cutting off individual split ends. You may want to cut back on trimming and just take off damage when you see it. You'll see growth in no time, I bet.

(edited for weird grammatical errors...)

Edited by Freki, 29 May 2011 - 09:57 PM.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#37 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

How funny that this topic should emerge when I cut my hair short after wearing it long for all my life. Love this forum! :vhappywitch:
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#38 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I had super-long hair (down to my butt) until after I graduated from high school, then I cut it all off, and my neck screamed in thanks. I grew it out a little some time afterwards, because I was getting married, and wanted as much hair to work with as was possible, but then I cut it short again immediately after the wedding.

My hair is REALLY thick (in amount as well as individual strand-thickness, thanks to my 1/4-Cherokee father), and REALLY heavy. I used to get matts and tangles all the time as a kid, and OH, the shampoo/conditioner-consumption. Posted Image That, and by that time, it was really damaged, and didn't look very healthy at all. I wanted to donate it, but I couldn't. :\

I'm thinking of growing it down to shoulder-length again, just because I'm tired of wearing it short, but I have no attachment to length. If I see a short style some time in the future that's really cute and suits my face-shape, I'll try it. :P I think my chiropractor will thank me for that, as well.

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan, 31 May 2011 - 08:44 AM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#39 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

I have always had my hair long apart from one time when i was 12 and my mum decided to have it cut so short that all the kids at school took the chronic piss :( I havent had my hair cut for a year (since it was last trimmed I mean) even through the ends really do need trimming. At the moment my hair is to the top of my bum, natural colour, red and in really good condition. I feel almost naked with short hair and my hair is a really big part of me. I cant ever see my going short again.

As far as magickal purposes go then as my hair is such an important part of me i would say that instictivly i know it would cause me a problem even if it was just at an unsubconscience level.

#40 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

It seems that during the Viet Nam War special forces in the war department had sent undercover experts to comb American Indian Reservations looking for talented scouts, for tough young men trained to move stealthily through rough terrain. They were especially looking for men with outstanding, almost supernatural, tracking abilities. Before being approached, these carefully selected men were extensively documented as experts in tracking and survival.

With the usual enticements, the well proven smooth phrases used to enroll new recruits, some of these indian trackers were then enlisted. Once enlisted, an amazing thing happened. Whatever talents and skills they had possessed on the reservation seemed to mysteriously disappear, as recruit after recruit failed to perform as expected in the field.

Serious casualities and failures of performance led the government to contract expensive testing of these recruits, and this is what was found. When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied constantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information.

So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests.

Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores.

Here is a typical test:
The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible.

In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him.

This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed.

So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. "

Comment:
The mammalian body has evolved over millions of years. Survival skills of human and animal at times seem almost supernatural. Science is constantly coming up with more discoveries about the amazing abilities of man and animal to survive. Each part of the body has highly sensitive work to perform for the survival and well being of the body as a whole.The body has a reason for every part of itself.
Hair is an extension of the nervous system, it can be correctly seen as exteriorized nerves, a type of highly evolved 'feelers' or 'antennae' that transmit vast amounts of important information to the brainstem, the limbic system, and the neocortex.

Not only does hair in people, including facial hair in men, provide an information highway reaching the brain, hair also emits energy, the electromagnetic energy emitted by the brain into the outer environment. This has been seen in Kirlian photography when a person is photographed with long hair and then rephotographed after the hair is cut.

When hair is cut, receiving and sending transmissions to and from the environment are greatly hampered. This results in numbing-out .

Cutting of hair is a contributing factor to unawareness of environmental distress in local ecosystems. It is also a contributing factor to insensitivity in relationships of all kinds. It contributes to sexual frustration.

Conclusion:
In searching for solutions for the distress in our world, it may be time for us to consider that many of our most basic assumptions about reality are in error. It may be that a major part of the solution is looking at us in the face each morning when we see ourselves in the mirror.

:)

Edited by Wyrd, 31 May 2011 - 02:35 PM.

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open