228 replies to this topic

#1 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Firstly, please forgive this newbie if I've posted in the wrong area....mods, please move to correct locale if I'm not in the right place.
Not sure if this has been addressed or not (I've looked through the forums and didn't see this exact question).

My friend was asking me why I insisted on keeping my hair on the long side as she thought I would look much better with short hair. I explained that I was taught that a wise woman has power in her hair, and therefore, she should cut it carefully (on the full moon, as I was taught)...or not at all. She laughed and said that was baloney...:embarased:

I still think I am correct...I was taught by some American Indian friends that a woman's hair, over time, gathers great medicine and energy...and that it needs to be kept longer to hold the energy. Cutting one's hair weakens the personal power a person has gained and experienced while the hair has been growing. I was told that our hair holds our experiences, just like the rest of our bodies....and there is great power in that.

I welcome other's opinions and thoughts...again, apologies if posted in wrong area.

Best to all,
Blyss

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

I have heard from people I respect that there is witch-lore to the power of long hair; however, I have not personally looked it up. But it would be something worth considering as where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

M

#3 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have heard from people I respect that there is witch-lore to the power of long hair; however, I have not personally looked it up. But it would be something worth considering as where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

M

That's what I've always heard. I think it's funny how hard it is for me to dispel this belief, even though our times indicate women with shorter hair (especially older women, of which I am one), as much more 'with it' and stylish than those with longer hair.

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#4 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

Firstly, please forgive this newbie if I've posted in the wrong area....mods, please move to correct locale if I'm not in the right place.
Not sure if this has been addressed or not (I've looked through the forums and didn't see this exact question).

My friend was asking me why I insisted on keeping my hair on the long side as she thought I would look much better with short hair. I explained that I was taught that a wise woman has power in her hair, and therefore, she should cut it carefully (on the full moon, as I was taught)...or not at all. She laughed and said that was baloney...:embarased:

I still think I am correct...I was taught by some American Indian friends that a woman's hair, over time, gathers great medicine and energy...and that it needs to be kept longer to hold the energy. Cutting one's hair weakens the personal power a person has gained and experienced while the hair has been growing. I was told that our hair holds our experiences, just like the rest of our bodies....and there is great power in that.

I welcome other's opinions and thoughts...again, apologies if posted in wrong area.

Best to all

Blyss

I feel strongly about this. I am one of the older women who insists on keeping her hair long. I've always felt that there's a power and strength within my hair. On the few occasions I've had it cut, I feel its loss acutely. I've even had colleagues telling me that professional women should have short hair - at least after the age of thirty. Not only is my hair long, but I add extensions (but not human extensions as I tend to get intrusive flashes of the original owners' lives). I may not be fashionable, but I have my own style.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#5 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

I keep my hair fairly long (my goal is about knee length) with the exception of my bangs, partially because I prefer it that way and also because I do feel it contains power. I feel that the tools I use with my hair (horn comb, sticks, and forks) pick up this power as well. My hair is one of the few things I'm vain about and I put a lot of importance in it. People close to me tend to think it's silly, but I don't really care what others think about my hair.

Edited to add: I'm a member of the long hair community (a forum online) and there are often discussions there about trimming by the moon. I find it very interesting and follow it for trimming my bangs. I don't cut the length of my hair.

Edited by Freki, 27 May 2011 - 09:22 PM.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#6 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I've kept my hair long for most of my life, I get it trimmed during a moon cycle. I also believe in the length of hair lore. I did have my hair cut by choice when I was 13-14 and had a wig made from it for my niece who lost her hair due to cancer, she was 5 years old at the time. No regrets doing it at all.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I found this on the internet:

"Head hair is often equated with life-force; solar gods, for example, are usually portrayed with long flowing hair. Hair that is exposed or unbound symbolises freedom, health, strength power and sexual potency. The highly tactile activity of grooming another’s hair indicates intimacy. Hair that is worn short, concealed or tightly braided indicates obedience, orderliness, containment and loss of power. "

Also, at some points in time, the shearing of a woman's hair was akin to a type of rape, it was a humiliation, a punishment, and a means of control.

M

#8 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

I'm another one of those 'older women' who keep my hair long. I could give a rip about being 'fashionable' and I'm one of those 'professional women', too. When I need to look 'professional', it gets put up or at least pulled back. No one has ever complained.

Not that I've given a lot of thought to it, but the long hair is part of who I am, and I happen to be a witch. The times I do cut the length (about every 5 years, donated to Locks of Love), I only cut it up to my shoulders. I cut it to my chin once and felt like shit until it grew out so maybe there is something to the 'personal power' thing. I maintain bangs, though, just because it looks better.

Yes, I do cut my hair if not on the full moon, at least during the waxing phase. It grows rapidly - I have very jealous friends.

And then there's the story of Samson ...

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#9 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

Best to all,
Blyss

This is the exact same reasoning that Pentecostals use. They believe the Bible says that a woman's hair is her glory and that she has power on her head because of the angels (whatever the fuck that means) as long as the hair remains long/uncut.

I was raised in a Pentecostal cult so probably would be best to ignore my opinion on this because I'm EXTREMELY biased on this subject, but I think its crap. To me hair is hair, long, short, dyed, shaved, it has whatever power you give it. If you love your long hair and feel that its powerful then by all means go with it, but that doesn't mean that this teaching is "right" or some sort of "absolute truth". To other people, hair is just hair.

Like I said, I'm warped in my opinion on this subject so everyone feel free to ignore my spew and continue on with your regularly scheduled discussion. :blobfire:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#10 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Guess the story of Samson and Delilah may spring from this?
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#11 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

This is the exact same reasoning that Pentecostals use. They believe the Bible says that a woman's hair is her glory and that she has power on her head because of the angels (whatever the fuck that means) as long as the hair remains long/uncut.

I was raised in a Pentecostal cult so probably would be best to ignore my opinion on this because I'm EXTREMELY biased on this subject, but I think its crap. To me hair is hair, long, short, dyed, shaved, it has whatever power you give it. If you love your long hair and feel that its powerful then by all means go with it, but that doesn't mean that this teaching is "right" or some sort of "absolute truth". To other people, hair is just hair.

Like I said, I'm warped in my opinion on this subject so everyone feel free to ignore my spew and continue on with your regularly scheduled discussion. :blobfire:

I would never ignore your posts, Aloe, and your opinions are never 'spew'. Funnily enough, we have opposing views about hair for a similar reason. Part of my liking for my long hair is because it was one of the very few aspects of my childhood that I had any say in, and one of the few things that made me unique amongst my sisters. Like you, I was brought up in a strictly religious family so I understand how the association holds no pleasure for you now. (Although from what I know about your upbringing, you had a much tougher time than I did). My preference for long hair has nothing to do with the Bible. I suspect the Bible would have some unpleasant opinion or other about extensions. Tough! I do, though, have a 'Samson' effect; the strength of my craftwork and my confidence in general diminishes when my hair is shorter.

Edited to add: I've just remembered I did a blog on here about this very subject. Sorry, I don't know how to add links.

Edited by Absinthe, 27 May 2011 - 11:22 PM.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#12 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

I do, though, have a 'Samson' effect; the strength of my craftwork and my confidence in general diminishes when my hair is shorter.

This is true for me as well. My self-image, the way I see myself in my minds eye, is with long hair. I had to cut my hair about four years ago from nearly classic length all the way to chin length due to some severe damage. Oh boy did my confidence take a hit. I felt... incomplete, like a part of myself was missing. And the image I saw in the mirror didn't 'fit'. It wasn't until my hair reached mid-back again that I started to feel more like myself and that confidence came back. Now my hair is a little past tail-bone, and as it grows, the better I feel.

But there is no one way to do things. I've known women who cut their hair as a way to gain power. As a way to shed off their old life and gain something new. And it gave them back their confidence to have it short.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#13 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

I would never ignore your posts, Aloe, and your opinions are never 'spew'. Funnily enough, we have opposing views about hair for a similar reason. Part of my liking for my long hair is because it was one of the very few aspects of my childhood that I had any say in, and one of the few things that made me unique amongst my sisters. Like you, I was brought up in a strictly religious family so I understand how the association holds no pleasure for you now. (Although from what I know about your upbringing, you had a much tougher time than I did). My preference for long hair has nothing to do with the Bible. I suspect the Bible would have some unpleasant opinion or other about extensions. Tough! I do, though, have a 'Samson' effect; the strength of my craftwork and my confidence in general diminishes when my hair is shorter.

Edited to add: I've just remembered I did a blog on here about this very subject. Sorry, I don't know how to add links.

How funny that your feelings about it stem from childhood too! I'll look at your blog, I'm always interested in what you have to say Absinthe. :)

One thing I wanted to clarify - I'm not against long hair, I like both long and short hair. I'm actually in the process of growing mine out. But what I am against, just personally because of the associations I have with it, is attaching any higher significance to the length of my hair.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

I keep my hair at shoulder length, simply because if it gets any longer it gets in my way. I have really "BIG" hair, thick and puffy hair, that has a mind of its own. A long time ago, a hair dresser told me that if I grow it long, the weight would give me more control of it. Didn't quite work out that way. I would wake up in the middle of the night with my hair wrapped around my face, smothering me. It would reach out and grab things, like cabinet doors, tree limbs, etc. Plus, the weight made it flat and straight, but not any more controllable. My hair has nice, bouncy curls when it is shorter.

Of course, my sister occasionally has trouble with her hair, too. She just shaves her head, when her hair gets out of control.

#15 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

I found this on the internet:

"Head hair is often equated with life-force; solar gods, for example, are usually portrayed with long flowing hair. Hair that is exposed or unbound symbolises freedom, health, strength power and sexual potency. The highly tactile activity of grooming another’s hair indicates intimacy. Hair that is worn short, concealed or tightly braided indicates obedience, orderliness, containment and loss of power. "

Also, at some points in time, the shearing of a woman's hair was akin to a type of rape, it was a humiliation, a punishment, and a means of control.

M

There was a point in my younger days when I was learning bits and bobs about TW, mostly from a shadowy figure who "guided" me. One of the tit-bits he told me was "Cutting your hair will weaken your power as a witch." Of course being a kid and under the influence of family- and peer-pressure I kept my hair at a socially acceptable length. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I let it all slip away from me?
As I have not cut my hair now for many years I have noticed a renewed vigour (this started in my wicca time) and I would not dream of cutting it now.
In recent times my hair has become very brittle and will break off leaving me with shorter hair than i would like. Now I am an aging, white, skinny witch with long hair wishing it was even longer.
I KNOW there is power in the hair, hopefully you all will find this sometime too.

I recently found out hat my hair is probably killing me, with reference to Michele's comment on sexual prowess!
FFFF
Elf

#16 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

Perhaps slightly off-topic: In my upbringing there was never a focus on whether long or short hair had any effect on magickal potency. What really caught my attention about this post (and another I saw last week) are the comments about cutting hair on the full moon to help growth. I thought this was a family tradition (my mother & aunt always cut according to moon-phase), and I've never come across this anywhere else until this group. Couldn't say where my mother and aunt picked it up, but they've followed that hair cutting tradition as long as I can remember. I am most intrigued now...

*edited for spelling errors...I'm OCD like that =)

Edited by Oneironaut, 28 May 2011 - 01:35 PM.

-- Oneironaut

#17 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

Oneironaut,

You, Michele and I should form a splinter-group of bad-spelling witches (that would confuse so many people!) and call ourselves "The Red Underliners"

FFFF
Elf

#18 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Oneironaut,

You, Michele and I should form a splinter-group of bad-spelling witches (that would confuse so many people!) and call ourselves "The Red Underliners"

FFFF
Elf

:roflhard:

-- Oneironaut

#19 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Oneironaut,

FFFF
Elf

Y'know, folks, if you right-click on the word that has the red squiggly line underneath, it'll give you suggestions for correct spelling. Granted, the board's dictionary isn't foolproof but ...

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#20 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Perhaps slightly off-topic: In my upbringing there was never a focus on whether long or short hair had any effect on magickal potency. What really caught my attention about this post (and another I saw last week) are the comments about cutting hair on the full moon to help growth. I thought this was a family tradition (my mother & aunt always cut according to moon-phase), and I've never come across this anywhere else until this group. Couldn't say where my mother and aunt picked it up, but they've followed that hair cutting tradition as long as I can remember. I am most intrigued now...

*edited for spelling errors...I'm OCD like that =)

Oneironaut,

FFFF
Elf

Oh my, could this group be called the Splint Enders's ? Kinda hairy... almost sounds like a Rock Band. Michelle on the mike, Sir Elf on the horns, and Oneironaut on the drums. I'd pay to see this :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1