- - - - -

Hi!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cara_*

Guest_Cara_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm new here and to traditional witchcraft. I don't know anyone who practises, or even anyone with an interest in witchcraft, so it would be nice to have some interaction with people with similar interests and beliefs.

I suppose I should share something about myself, though I'm not very good at putting myself out there to an undefined audience - I'm used to keeping my cards close to my chest!
I'm 24, I live in the UK. I've always been interested in spiritual things, but always put off by New Age fluff whenever I try to seek more. I tried again a few months ago to dedicate more to learning, and read a lot of Wicca stuff. I found a small amount resonated with me but a large amount still irked me. Just as I was about ready to give up again, I found these forums and it just seemed more right than anything else I've found.
I'm set on learning the things that resonate and hopefully going from there. Herbs, trees and plants are my primary interest, I've always loved growing things. Gemstones, symbolism, energy work and tarot are some of my other interests.
I know a little, but I'm inexperienced, so not likely to be a full member for some time. If anybody wants to chat though, let me know :)

I'm not sure if this is OK to post here - I've seen a couple of posts that say introductions should be left for the correct forum, but my membership was rejected (understandably so). I don't have any questions at the moment, I just wanted to say hi.
Anyway, it's so refreshing to find somewhere that cuts the fluff!

#2 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Cara, it is okay, do not look at that as a rejection, the mods here know you are learning and trying to understand your spiritual path. From your delivery I would say that you will find much here to help and many people who will assist you in getting your feet wet.
Welcome,
FFFF
Elf

#3 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

Nice to meet you! :) Sounds like you are in the right place to learn more and see if this path is right for you. I hope you have fun here. :vhappywitch:

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#4 Guest_Cara_*

Guest_Cara_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Cara, it is okay, do not look at that as a rejection, the mods here know you are learning and trying to understand your spiritual path. From your delivery I would say that you will find much here to help and many people who will assist you in getting your feet wet.
Welcome,
FFFF
Elf

Don't worry, I didn't take it as a personal rejection :) I think the forums are set up really well - I must admit I hadn't looked at the guest area until I got the rejection email, but it is nice to have somewhere to post, as well as access to some good topics (I have been especially enjoying the herbal section :D)
Thank you!

Nice to meet you! :) Sounds like you are in the right place to learn more and see if this path is right for you. I hope you have fun here. :vhappywitch:

Awh, thank you :) nice to meet you too! I love your icon - it's so pretty.

#5 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hi Cara, welcome. Definitely in the right place to learn! You can get a lot out of books and websites, but what I'm beginning to understand is nothing beats your own, personal interpretation on things. Practice meditation to learn to be still and to open up the inner eye and spend time with the things you want to learn about. Grow a herb and get to know it personally over time is the best way. For trees and what have you, find a park or natural area you can visit and just spend time with nature. Really, that is your best teacher :) I've started to observe how the moon makes me feel at different parts of it's cycle and I'm finding a strong correlation between when I feel bright and bubbly and the moon waxing and when I feel introspective and "serious" and the moon waning. I'm applying that to my craft and having some great results. It just so happens it corresponds with what moon lore says, but I still favour my personal connections over the lore.

Check out the thread on developing a tw path. I can't stress fairy tales enough and reading between the lines to discover the hidden wisdom. "Women who run with the wolves" is a book on doing exactly that. thogu some say it doesn't go far enough. Personally, I found it helpful. Please stick around and apply again in 6 months or so, I'm sure you'll be a lot further along in your path then :) Good luck.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#6 Cara

Cara

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hi Cara, welcome. Definitely in the right place to learn! You can get a lot out of books and websites, but what I'm beginning to understand is nothing beats your own, personal interpretation on things. Practice meditation to learn to be still and to open up the inner eye and spend time with the things you want to learn about. Grow a herb and get to know it personally over time is the best way. For trees and what have you, find a park or natural area you can visit and just spend time with nature. Really, that is your best teacher :) I've started to observe how the moon makes me feel at different parts of it's cycle and I'm finding a strong correlation between when I feel bright and bubbly and the moon waxing and when I feel introspective and "serious" and the moon waning. I'm applying that to my craft and having some great results. It just so happens it corresponds with what moon lore says, but I still favour my personal connections over the lore.

Check out the thread on developing a tw path. I can't stress fairy tales enough and reading between the lines to discover the hidden wisdom. "Women who run with the wolves" is a book on doing exactly that. thogu some say it doesn't go far enough. Personally, I found it helpful. Please stick around and apply again in 6 months or so, I'm sure you'll be a lot further along in your path then :) Good luck.

Hi! Sorry I didn't see this post to reply at the time.
I just started reading Women who run with the Wolves - thanks for the recommendation & all the tips :)

#7 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Nice to see you got membership Cara. Patience paid off!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#8 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Well if you look at my profile you will see I have a website. Our members in Our group, in our daughter groups and elsewhere try to teach anyone who needs it on there in a small way just as i try to do. It's my extended way of getting to the people from my own home - wherever they live.foxman

#9 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Interesting, foxman.  How exactly do you determine who "needs it"?  I know quite a few people that have online groups; however, I do not know many Trads that "spread the word" on the particulars of their Path to strangers via the Internet.  What are you trying to accomplish by "getting to the people"?  Everyone has different expectations and practices in this regard, so I am wondering.

Jevne

#10 Sinnergy

Sinnergy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

Congratulations Cara. I hope that others see this and don't think rejection is the end of their visit here.

#11 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well if you look at my profile you will see I have a website. Our members in Our group, in our daughter groups and elsewhere try to teach anyone who needs it on there in a small way just as i try to do. It's my extended way of getting to the people from my own home - wherever they live.foxman

I too am curious about this. I'm all for helping people who actually come and ask me for help but I'd balk at spreading the details of my own personal path around in the hope that it might inspire the "unenlightened."  The way you phrase it sounds almost evangelical? Can you elaborate a bit? 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#12 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

k rejection is the end of their visit here.[/quote]

Psst, Sinnergy. I get your point, but it is unlikely that Cara is still paying attention to the website. I could be wrong, but the word guest in front of her name tells me probably not.

#13 Sinnergy

Sinnergy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

[quote name="Jevne" post="154136" timestamp="1390909899"]k rejection is the end of their visit here.[/quote]Psst, Sinnergy. I get your point, but it is unlikely that Cara is still paying attention to the website. I could be wrong, but the word guest in front of her name tells me probably not.[/quote]
Sorry I was thought the Guest Cara later became the seeker Cara on this thread?
Tana was congradulating her on making it to the forum?

But even if I am right the spirit of your post rings so true. She only made 4 posts in her time here.
foxman's post made me think it was a current timeline.

Edited by Sinnergy, 28 January 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

But even if I am right the spirit of your post rings so true. She only made 4 posts in her time here.

I understand.  Not giving you a hard time, I was just on my phone, which cut off the message, so it was more abrupt than I intended. 

Sometimes, my phone doesn't even want to listen to me.  LOL! 

#15 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

This forum used to baffle me because ancient threads (from 4 or 5 years ago) would still be bumped and posted on. Every other forum I've been on had strict rules about reviving very old threads. So I would always assume everything was posted in the last few days when the thread would be started in 2008 or something... so you're not alone when it comes to the dates :D

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

We bump things here because even though the threads are years old, the thought processes and information in the posts are still relevant.  Of course the inside jokes and what not do not make sense out of context, but the threads are bumped to usually go in a new direction relevant to the people currently posting on the forum.  Basically we adapt based on new members and new members can benefit from people that came before. 

#17 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

This is one of the strangest necro postings I've seen here in a long time.  LOL!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#18 Sinnergy

Sinnergy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

I understand.  Not giving you a hard time, I was just on my phone, which cut off the message, so it was more abrupt than I intended.  Sometimes, my phone doesn't even want to listen to me.  LOL!

Kind of you, but I never took any offense.

#19 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

We don't have a problem with bumping old threads.

There is too much good information for it to be buried in the archives!

I do recommend always casting an eye on the dates in posts, to see if it is old, or current.

Cara did indeed make it to seeker membership, but left after 4 posts.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#20 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

On another forum I sometimes inhabit, a member called Phiggy used to dig up really old posts and answer them etc. So  much that post-necromancy was called Phiggying lol

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein