[Sandy's News] Cleansing Crystals – Sun or Moon

Sandy

The old crystal cleasning debate has begun …. Sun? Moon? Earth? Water? or Smudging????

sandy-cristel-amethyst11.jpg

… Too much sun on a crystal will render it useless. Period.
Look at the difference in these two Amethysts. The one that originated from darkness and has been kept out of the sun is still vibrant with a beautiful deep purple hue and gives off the most amazing energy.

The smaller peice of Amethyst was kept in the sunlight (inside or outside)- see how empty, light and colourless it is… I almost feel sorry for it!

sandy-cristel-amethyst2.jpg

I cannot believe my eyes nor my ears when I read or hear that to charge crystals you should do so in the sun.  The sun’s energy is WAY too intense for most crystals, and what you will end up with is a bleached out, sorry looking lifeless piece of stone, which is usually beyond repair, good for nothing and quite frankly, dead.

If you truly believe the sun should cleanse your crystals then do so for only 5 minutes.  By leaving them out, scorching, and slowly dieing in the sunshine only ruins them and renders them useless.

There are MANY other way to cleanse your crystals.  Crystals that cannot get wet (as they dissolve), such as Selenite, should be put out in the full moon – just for about an hour. Alternatively, you can smudge them using a white sage smudge stick.

For crystals that are happy to be in water – then rinsing them in the sea, a river, or anywhere that has running water will do it – heck, if you are that stuck then use your cold water tap at home and run cold water over your crystals for a few minutes.

Some people even bury their crystals in the earth to charge them – this is still better than laying them out in the sun.

I have so many people coming in to see me bringing their sun drained crystals in to be recharged because they feel the energy has gone and their crystal no longer works.  More often than not, the crystal needs to be replaced as it is too far gone.  Unfortunately, they were only following instructions from the person they bought their original crystal from.

I honestly cannot stress this enough – please rethink about using the sun to recharge your crystals unless it is only for a couple of minutes.  Crystals don’t like sunlight or UV rays – it will literally suck the life and energy right out of it.

If anyone would like me to cleanse their crystals or wish to have more advice, just pop into “Sandy Cristel” at the Craft Courtyard Centre in Lytchett Minster and I will be more than happy to help.

View the full article

Who in the H would tell someone to charge a crystal in the sun? Foolishness beyond belief! Moonlight or smudging for me, baby!

Granted I don't work overly much with crystals, but why charge them? Cleanse them (if bought in a store where anything may have been about them) yes, but they are of the earth, grow in the earth, contain their own fire... what would one need to charge them for? What charge could be better than that which is inherant to them? Perhaps if one were using them for a specific purpose one might "fill" them with that purpose or align them to a specific energy of a ritual, but for charging in and of themselves, I think they already hold their own charge and power. To clean a crystal I give it a good soaping (I've bought crystals from stores that I have to assume didn't own a duster, lol) and hold them under running water and then blow on them. If I had a stream I'd use that, but alas the tap is all I have. If I had a crystal I though had absorbed something negative or had broken, I would probably just bury it and let it go. If it had sentimental value I would bury it in the earth for a long period, then keep it as a keepsake, but not use it again.

M

Sandy, sound advice. I've never thought too much about it, have cleansed some with water a few times but on the whole, they didn't like it much. It's obvious they wouldn't like the sun, coming from deep within the earth, only seems natural, now I know doh Have you thought of running classes for people or even writing a book? I'd say there is a huge call for it.

This is a wonderful article, thank you for sharing it! I'm always a little wary about suggestions to cleanse or charge something in the sunlight, as it has the power to be extremely destructive.

Crystals are my main vein :)

Moonlight definately, although I personally don't use it for cleansing, I use it to magnifying energy for certain workings.. Sunlight will most definitely damage your crystals and not to mention it's a total fire hazard! Years ago I had to move my alter cuz the sun beat thru a window and then thru one of my crystal balls just right, on some little sage pieces and then the alter cloth went up. Good thing I was home! (nothing was damaged but the cloth)

Be careful though, you can submerge most of them in (salt) water, BUT some crystals will disenegrate in water, like selenites and all forms of pyrites. For rocks that cant go in water, covering them in just plain sea salt does well.

Archived