The Power of Words

Guest Magdalena

Guest Magdalena

Wow. That was holistically inspiring.

Thank you for posting this! biggrin.gif

Very much so. :)

A thought provoking 1 minute and 48 seconds, and a worthwhile watch.

Guest Magdalena

I thought it was lovely - almost spoilt it being an advert. Thanks for sharing. :)

Yes it did spoil it a bit, even though it was based on realism. If it was factual, the guy would have been weather worn, hungry and tired, a heart wrenching reality. ;)

Oh Anita, that really touched my soul. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited: Voted the original post up.

Words are interesting things (and whoever their ad company was they should keep them on the payroll, lol), but from a wtich point-of-view I find words to be both a blessing and a bane. Yes, if you can name something you have gained power over something but by the same token (depending on your desired interaction with the thing, thought, object, etc., named) you have also limited that thing solely to its name or its description and to the namer that thing is now no more than its label. Words can give power and they can also choke and block the person limited by their words.

M

Guest Magdalena

Very true Michele. On saying that, I do believe the power of a label would have more power over your stereotypical human, than say, the likes of you and I. The only labels I take as what they are defined as, are materialistic ones lol.

I've heard this before as a story, still nice to see it in a vid. Didn't realsie it was an ad because I didn't watch the very end.

Very true Michele. On saying that, I do believe the power of a label would have more power over your stereotypical human, than say, the likes of you and I. The only labels I take as what they are defined as, are materialistic ones lol.

Yes, but sometimes words limit and label without our even realizing it. "I love you." Is powerful. "I love you so very, very much" actually limits the amount of feeling to only "very, very." We use words to explain things intellectually and sometimes (at least for me) that can keep my realization trapped in the mundane as the other realms are not worlds of the intellectual brain.

M

I wanted to share this.

this is so clever - brought a tear to my eye, and the piano music is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing! x

(p.s. - initially I thought she had written - 'pay up or I will flash my bits' on the card, so I was kind of relieved! ;)lol! )

From what I have seen, Magdalena, you have a love of music. Do you think it is not so much the words themselves, but the way in which the words are combined to convey meaning that moves them beyond their individual labels? Would the music have as much depth if not for the careful crafting of the lyrics?

Guest Magdalena

From what I have seen, Magdalena, you have a love of music. Do you think it is not so much the words themselves, but the way in which the words are combined to convey meaning that moves them beyond their individual labels? Would the music have as much depth if not for the careful crafting of the lyrics?

When I speak of labels, I mean in general, not everything that can be perceived as a label.

Lyrics to me are the same as poetry Jevne, a short story. They have to be a good read and have depth, sometimes even poignant, I also can relate to most of what I like.

I have a passion for music whether it be lyrical or instrumental, Enigma for example, I can listen to their instrumental tracks for hours. I have an eclectic taste, the genre I listen to at any given time depends on my frame of mind/mood. :teehee:

And that I suppose is the power of words, it is not what is said, it's how it is said.

And that I suppose is the power of words, it is not what is said, it's how it is said.

My point exactly.

• 9 months later...

I wanted to share this.

What a load of twee old shit... I lived on the fucking streets for three fucking years as a teen and the situation dont change just cos some do gooder decides to write some cryptic bollocks on a piece of shitty cardboard..

What a load of twee old shit... I lived on the fucking streets for three fucking years as a teen and the situation dont change just cos some do gooder decides to write some cryptic bollocks on a piece of shitty cardboard..

I believe you're missing the message, Oak. I also spent a couple of years on the streets as a teen when I hitch-hiked around North America. I wasn't always fortunate enough to find odd jobs to supplement my meager living expenses and stooped to being a beggar on a few occasions. There was a stark difference though between the people along the street just sitting there mutely with blank expressions on their faces and their hand/cup out, and me trying my best to get someone's attention, either through a joke, a smoke, or a bout of juggling.

Not the same as a cardboard box with 'cryptic writing' on it, I agree, but again the point was getting the message through to those who would normally just pass by. It does make a difference and it can affect the situation.

I liked that.

I've been in bad times before as well. Not been a begger on the streets but a squatter in an abandoned building with about 20 bucks to my name. Sometimes all it takes is the right person to come along with the right words to help you change the way you have been doing things and make things a little better.

I believe you're missing the message, Oak. I also spent a couple of years on the streets as a teen when I hitch-hiked around North America. I wasn't always fortunate enough to find odd jobs to supplement my meager living expenses and stooped to being a beggar on a few occasions. There was a stark difference though between the people along the street just sitting there mutely with blank expressions on their faces and their hand/cup out, and me trying my best to get someone's attention, either through a joke, a smoke, or a bout of juggling.

Not the same as a cardboard box with 'cryptic writing' on it, I agree, but again the point was getting the message through to those who would normally just pass by. It does make a difference and it can affect the situation.

No I am not missing the message, One. The message is a advert for a fucking marketing company.

I am not gonna say you haven't experienced homelessness, I'm sure you have.. but your comments seem to indicate you know very little about the dynamics of homelessness and the various factors that cause people to get trapped there..

I am surprised your post has been voted up, but then maybe i'm not that surprised.

Ad summary:

Sad music :cry:

Blind homeless guy

Woman well dressed confiscates his sign without his permission (but hey hes blind so its easy to take advantage of the old fucker! and of course She knows best for this work shy scumbag, hes happy on the street, he just needs to cheer up a bit and not be so fucking miserable!:witch_bounce:..Juggling balls for the blind guy anyone?:crazy:)

Money starts pouring in cause the passers by are much more attracted to his shiny new 'happy, positive advert!' and just cant wait to help him :biggrin: ..

Woman appears again like a dominatrix Jesus in drag, and shares 'the secret'.

We all are meant to feel nice and fuzzy inside as the words 'Change your words-Change your world' appear on the screen followed by the marketing companies website info nicely embedded into those warm feelings.

:vomit:

No I am not missing the message, One. The message is a advert for a fucking marketing company.

I am not gonna say you haven't experienced homelessness, I'm sure you have.. but your comments seem to indicate you know very little about the dynamics of homelessness and the various factors that cause people to get trapped there..

I am surprised your post has been voted up, but then maybe i'm not that surprised.

Ad summary:

Sad music :cry:

Blind homeless guy

Woman well dressed confiscates his sign without his permission (but hey hes blind so its easy to take advantage of the old fucker! and of course She knows best for this work shy scumbag, hes happy on the street, he just needs to cheer up a bit and not be so fucking miserable!:witch_bounce:..Juggling balls for the blind guy anyone?:crazy:)

Money starts pouring in cause the passers by are much more attracted to his shiny new 'happy, positive advert!' and just cant wait to help him :biggrin: ..

Woman appears again like a dominatrix Jesus in drag, and shares 'the secret'.

We all are meant to feel nice and fuzzy inside as the words 'Change your words-Change your world' appear on the screen followed by the marketing companies website info nicely embedded into those warm feelings.

:vomit:

Maybe you have a point since you have been there...but I would have given money at the second sign because it touched me. I would not have even stopped at the first sign because at first I thought he wasn't really blind and it was just a ploy. People here do it everyday on the corner of the road to my workplace and the more people give, the more people are there asking saying they have some ailment. I think she did a good thing. I didn't even see the marketing company info and if I did I wouldn't give two shits about it.

Archived