45 replies to this topic

#41 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:37 PM

I'm finely getting back to this.

I noticed some talk about chickens above. Including the very amusing comment “You have to think, what information would you trust a chicken to bring you from the other side?”. Truthfully as funny as it is I figure it's also a good question to ask yourself. Along with “Why would you ask a chicken?”

So, the first thing I figure I might ask a chicken is were to plant a garden. If there is one thing any chicken should know its were the worms are. Over say a week one could place a chicken in different parts of the yard and watch were they get to scratching and pecking most often. If they keep returning to the same spot it's like that the soil in that area is teaming with life.

A less logical question for them might be about planting and preparing for winter. It's said that when a chicken molts from the front first, the end of winter will be harder than the rest. If the back end first the beginning will be the harder part of the season. Evenly and it will be rather consistent. I should note here that I have also heard this with the front and back reversed, I say it this way because I find it more reliable. Also, this says nothing to the severity of the winter just its rhythm. Other critters seem to know better on that score.

Then there is puny of cultural traditions and mythos I would think on. As I learned it, the chicken has most commonly been seen as a death bird. There dose seem to be a lot of available arguments for this. Particularly in cultures with beliefs of an underworld spirit domain or return to Earth mythos. In these traditions I find the chicken to bridge the earthly realm and the spirit realm. In this way it can be seen as a conduit or ever attractive medium between the realms. So, one is often not asking the chicken but rather asking a spirit directly through the chicken or inhabiting it. At least that's how I have grown to understand it.

Since reading bones was the main point brought up I thought I would give some of my take on that. I have learned it that, it's not just that it a chicken's bones that makes them useful in divination. I have seen some valid means of building tools or devices out of their bones to communicate somethings with spirits. These are often in the forms of charms, chimes, mobiles, or dosing devices, that often act as a temporary housing for a spirit or spirits. Heads, feet, and feathers are often used as well.

With casting bones I learned it a bit different. In stead its a spirit bound and under the control of the caster that dose the talking. The method of cultivation of the bones I learned and seems to me most effective is extremely involved. I wont be going into the details here in a public area, as some might call them easily misunderstood, possibly dangerous, and if not done correctly cruel.

I will say that it involves the raising and slaughter of chickens, and it would like to be difficult if you don't already do so. It takes place over the course of a few months, and starts with a live chicken and ends with a bag of precious bones. I should point out that I have never preformed this on my own, I've never seen the need really. I learned it from a Witch I have great respect for and acted as a second in the rituals. After, I never knew the bones to give her an incorrect reading.

All this is not to say this is the right way, or there are not other methods. This is just a blush of what I have see to be affective.

Edited by PapaGheny, 28 November 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#42 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

Well, I know this is not divination- but it certainly is animals behaving oddly on the part of the spirit world. My grandmother was into birds. Her favorite was the cardinal. She even had little statues of them sitting around.

MY mother/ her daughter has lived in the same residence for almost 30 years. In all the years I lived there I never saw a single cardinal- not one. My mom says she had seen maybe one a year and not every year.

Starting a couple weeks after my grandmother died there were droves of cardinals all over my mother's yard. Not only were there cardinals but they were WEIRD cardinals. A few at a time would sit outside my mother's bedroom window and thump and peck at the window. Sometimes if mom was in the kitchen they would come to the kitchen window. She said eventually, when she would go to leave the house they would be hanging out on her car. Now Im no cardinal expert, but when I have seen them I haven't seen them hang out like that. Usually they are in a hurry to be somewhere. She did not have any bird feeders or such either. Being a fundy Christian she was reluctant to even talk about this- because of course that kind of thing isn't possible. But after a certain point she could not deny something weird was going on. When she finally told me about it it had been going on for over a month. When we discussed, and I said I thought that somehow or another grandma had to have sent those birds. It made her very happy and she accepted that was likely the case. As soon as she acknowledged it the phenomena died down dramatically, now she just sees one now and again. More than before, but nothing like it was.

--------
I love the bone divination portion of this thread!:)

Edited by Oroboros, 29 November 2016 - 12:48 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#43 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

I had a cardinal that attacked my window every day for a month or so before my uncle died, and then it disappeared. I tried debunking why it was doing it - was it a reflection? I covered the window so it wouldn't glare and it kept happening. Did it have a nest nearby? Nowhere to be seen. Was it trying to get in? No holes that I could see. A week before my uncle died, its partner joined it in bashing its face against my window. When he passed, it stopped abruptly.

I brushed it off until my grandmother mentioned that a cardinal doing that, in my family, signifies bad luck and told me a similar story that happened to her when she was younger. I've since heard of a few beliefs following the idea that cardinals are symbols revolving around death in some way. 

RSKHFMY

#44 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

That's very interesting RS. I did not know there was that type of lore associated with them. I don't think I ever even researched if they were generally known to have significance, because they had significance to us. But now I will.:)

The incident your describing sounds quite disturbing.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#45 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

Oroboros, Many types of birds are considered messengers of the spirit world in quite a lot of folklore. I'm not sure if cardinals specificity are one of them, off the top of my head. They are often associated with winter and tend to be striking in there appearance that would make them prime candidates for it. I do know they are worked with in protective, strength, and acceptance, spells and related to the cycle of life and death. They have also been seen as a guide when one feels lost geographically, emotionally, or spirituality.

I think the are definitely worth researching there is rather abundant folklore.

Regardless if they where messengers that's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Ravenshaw, I have heard a few ill omen on the cardinal. For instance native folklore tells us to see a cardinal flying down word can mean separation or loss. If flying up word reunion and good fortune.

Growing up I also always heard they where related to blood on the snow, and selected who died in the hunt. That came with the superstition that to have a blood spot on your cloths would attract a cardinal and lead to bad luck or a short life. But, I don't know where that came from it was just something folk said.

#46 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

I have recently have been frequented by a peregrine falcon. These are an uncommon but not all together unusual birds here. Just recently they made the threatened and endangered list, but are still seen around now and then.

The first encounter was typical working on a relatively isolated hilly piece of land about 20 mile out of town. It was simply sitting on a pine branch about 6 or 8 foot up, looking at me. Not that strange, if it was a hawk I would have taken less notice.

A few days later I was having a cigarette in the driveway on the same land watching a snowstorm building quickly. From above and to the east the falcon nearly hit me seeming to loose some control coming into the wind break of the house. It landed not more than 4 feet from me in a flower bed barren in winter. We looked at each other a moment. It was just long enough to notice that ruffled feathers on its left wing I spotted on our last meeting was a slight injury. Possibly a scrap from a tree branch. Then it took out grabbing a black-capped chickadee from a near by holly and disappeared into the bluster.

This was a striking encounter. That night I gave offering and Spellwork to favor the falcon.

The third was a sunny day just before noon and I was sitting on my porch having a cup of coffee. A falcon landed on an old maple about 10 foot off the porch at eye level to me. I quickly noticed it had the same wing injury. This got my attention because I currently am living in the middle of town. The distance and injury making it an unlikely coincidence.

This is what some of the lore I have tells me about falcons.

The falcon relates with elemental wind, water, and sometimes lightning.

They are related in action to lightning.

Like many birds of pray it is often thought of as a direct messenger of the sky.

It is often a symbol of nobility, speed, precision, the hunter/arrow/bullet, looking ahead, lightning,

absolutes.

In divination it often refers to looking forward to a single point in time. This often comes down to a crossroad often never to be returned to, but that could bear great reward.

In deciphering the falcon one can also add feelings of majesty, awe and terror. As well as companionship and a connection between ones self and nature or the sky.

However, most of this come from local lore and passed conversations with mentors and Witches. My library is quite lacking in falcon lore. Particularly fundamentals and root folklore. If anyone knows and good resource for this, knows any lore on falcons they would like to share, or wants to take a crack at interpreting the signs, I would be glad to hear about it.