#21 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

I must admit Haggis is nice..

I love haggis, especially when it's deep fried in batter and served with chips. Or just plain served with neeps and tatties :)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#22 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I love haggis, especially when it's deep fried in batter and served with chips. Or just plain served with neeps and tatties :)

yeah, with butter and pepper - yum!

animal intestine can be used for divination, so why not eat them too!!! hahaha!

#23 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Bumping this thread, due to its relationship to other active threads.

Edited by Jevne, 28 February 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#24 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

My two cents on bone divination - chicken bones tend to be like firecrackers - one time use, low priority questions. You have to think, what information would you trust a chicken to bring you from the other side? Ox bones were once quite prized for divination, as your ox was trusted with essentially your livelihood. I suppose dog or cat bones, preferably of a passed pet, would be the most powerful and trusted of animal bones to use. 

For live animal divination, I suppose it would pay to be as picky about which animals you trust with information. Better to ask important questions from a close pet, and the weather from the birds? 

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 March 2014 - 06:08 AM.

RSKHFMY

#25 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I don't divine, but I'm wondering with bone divination whether one is meant to see through the actual bones of the thing used, or merely use them as a connection to the worlds of the dead. But then again, the answer is probably in what was invoked at the time the set was made.... 

Which brings up another thought... again, I don't divine, so I'd have no clue how to read bones, but if one wanted to divine with them and wasn't sure how to read them they could always name "reading positions" for simple answers (yes, no, danger, failure, hope, possibilities, etc.) and instruct these into the set when it was made. It would also very much personalize the set as anyone not knowing the specific answer-sets would not be able to work with it.

Okay - now that makes me want to make a set simply to test the theory, lol...

Thoughts floating through as I vape over morning coffee... one could use different bones in the set (doesn't have to be all one animal and bones are easy enough to get from a taxidermist very inexpensively).... The fox bone would imply cunning (as in sly and sneaky) is either being used or needed, near the cat bone from/by a female and near the dog bone from/by a male, over a bird bone from the spiritworld and under it relating to someone of this world....  Snake bone energy power is involved, rabbit bone family is involved... however one wants to "program" them. 

Be a fun experiment to try if one was into divining....

M

Oh - one could even make a set specifically for their family and have specific bones within it "named" as representing each specific member (you could get really crazy with that one if you wanted to add DNA to each member's assigned bone-representative, too, although I'd panic at that point if I ever misplaced the set, lol).

Wonder what the kiddies are up to... throw the bones.... hummm.... Fred's bone is over the "money" bone and Fred's wife bone is near the "anger" bone on the other side of the table, they're fighting about money, best give them a call and meddle, lol. Okay, overly simplistic example, but it could be fun if one was bored over the weekend.... and you wouldn't have to "learn" how to use them because you programmed their interpretations. And over time and use the set could be passed on down the family line as other bones for new members are added, and passed-away members become advice-givers, etc.

Edited by Michele, 15 March 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#26 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Actually, one could make a runic set, and then add bones representing the harder aspects to divine (specific people, specific situations) to the set making it a runic bone divination set specific to one's family and/or situation. One could even have bones that are directed at each throw to be a specific thing/person. 

Edited by Michele, 15 March 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#27 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

I really like your thought process here, Michele.  The most important part would be the programming.  The correspondences and connections would have to be specific and consistently used, so as to avoid communication issues or misinterpretations, but it could work.  I like the idea of a bone representing the same person or aspect each time.  If I were using different types of bones together, however, I would worry about getting confused, though.  Now, is that a piece of grandma or is that a cow bone?

#28 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

Lol - I know... one would have to be able to consistently recognize each bone by sight. Whereas tiime and experience would probably fix that, as a starter set (especially for someone like me who is not experienced in divination) each bone could be marked. One could even just put a name and/or word on it. It wouldn't look as nice, but it would serve its purpose. I thought of using runes to write the word, but then you'd be getting into larger size bones than I'd want to carry around, lol. Consistency in interpretation and same use of bone would be the key here, as you said. I like the idea of bird bones as birds have height and can therefore "see far", but I'd add a bear bone and a wolf bone due to my personal inclinations. I have a bird buried in the backyard that is more than ready to be dug up (assuming there's anything left to dig up, lol). I also have some bear bones, coyote claws, wolf teeth, and a few other odds and sods that may be useful...

M

#29 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

This is perhaps a little off the original topic, but what do y'all think about sighting unusual animals? Not just rare, but animals that absolutely should not be present, as in not in this state at all, or not at this time of year ever, or otherwise in violation, flagrantly, of their well-known habits; how does one interpret that?

I'm asking because I just last week saw my first-ever hummingbird, and it is a sort that is supposed to be on the other side of the country or in Mexico. There aren't any other hummingbirds around here nor have there been in fifty years at least. This one flew up out of my front hedge toward my favorite window, peered in at me, and effed off into whatever subspace it came from, as in it flew around a holly leaf and didn't come out the other side... I looked. So okay, some poor bird is seriously lost, but that's also the sort of thing I pay attention to. I just don't know what to make of it, beyond the OMG a real live hummingbird wow glee bliss reaction. It is a male humming bird of the kind once associated with a god. I just can't get this out of my head, like the memory keeps randomly transfixing me. It's really hard to remember divinatory associations while I'm all suffused with eerie awe. Help?

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#30 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

I can't say for sure what this could mean, but it sounds like a great experience. Humming birds are amazing to watch. Global climate changes are causing some strange migrations, mind you all birds can represent messages from the spirits or gods, so there is that. Like many on the other thread about everything being a sign, I would look at what it means to you. It obviously effected you beyond the ordinary, so I would say there is very likely a reason that you saw it when you did. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#31 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:27 AM

Thank you Solanaceae, it has had an effect upon me. I am aware that ranges are shifting, but this bird was several frost zones ahead of its food plants. Maybe you are right that this is simply a sign of hummingbirds to come. Certainly nothing to sneeze at! It's the out of place animal aspect that is grabbing my attention. I know that I have read of divinatory meanings assigned to animals spotted out of season, or out of their known habitat, even for animals who have their winter coat in summer. I do not remember where I read of this, or what the specifics are. It's all kind of on the tip of my tongue.

#32 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

The would be amazing if it means they are soon to arrive there! Such amazing animals I'm so happy you got to see one in person. My garden buzzes with them often and it's such a unique animal

#33 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

I was looking up more information on these magnificent birds today, and now I know that their call is a rasping "Drrrrrrrrp." It would be neat to have a bunch of little greeny brown guys derping around in my garden.

#34 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:56 AM

This is perhaps a little off the original topic, but what do y'all think about sighting unusual animals? Not just rare, but animals that absolutely should not be present, as in not in this state at all, or not at this time of year ever, or otherwise in violation, flagrantly, of their well-known habits; how does one interpret that?

I'm asking because I just last week saw my first-ever hummingbird, and it is a sort that is supposed to be on the other side of the country or in Mexico. There aren't any other hummingbirds around here nor have there been in fifty years at least. This one flew up out of my front hedge toward my favorite window, peered in at me, and effed off into whatever subspace it came from, as in it flew around a holly leaf and didn't come out the other side... I looked. So okay, some poor bird is seriously lost, but that's also the sort of thing I pay attention to. I just don't know what to make of it, beyond the OMG a real live hummingbird wow glee bliss reaction. It is a male humming bird of the kind once associated with a god. I just can't get this out of my head, like the memory keeps randomly transfixing me. It's really hard to remember divinatory associations while I'm all suffused with eerie awe. Help?

Hello Christine,

I don't know where you are located, but I'm up in Northern MN and I have had an unusual Hummingbird at my feeders this year.  A female oddly different than the other females. I know this is off topic but I thought it polite to reply. How fun for you to see such a wonderful bird about your domain.

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#35 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:42 AM

I live in Virginia at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, CelticGypsy. We get a lot of migrating birds, mainly waterfowl, which is a big reason why I always look at flutterers. Your garden sounds very beautiful.

#36 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

I have a warm spot in my heart for red birds, like finches and cardinals. In Michigan, the red cardinal is very prevalent and I always feel cheered when I see them. The only time in my life I saw a black cardinal, native to SW, was last summer. In less than a week I was slapped with home insurance company demand to reroof the house. There were no leaks, but the roof was 20 years old. The black bird hung around until the very day the roofing was completed, then Poof! Gone.

Now, here's the weird part. I went to the bank to see about a repair loan. Instead I discovered a discrepancy in my favor. The bank confirmed it. It was just enough to cover the roofing costs, and have a nice dinner to celebrate. I am still amazed.

I have a domestic cats tooth, a sharks tooth from Arizona, and a (certified) T.Rex dinosaur tooth from Oklahoma, and one raccoon (?) vertebra I found in my garden. Does anyone have suggestions how I can use these?

Edited by Zombee, 26 August 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#37 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

Christine, your post first struck me with the statement that they have not been there in at least fifty years. This year my area has been home to bald eagles. Not that they are unheard of, just not seen with in a hundred mile or so. They where last recorded in these parts fifty four years ago. This year there are three.

I'm not sure if its what you where looking for, but it comes to mind that an animal oracle from distant parts can mean its influence is from an unexpected source, out of season from a hidden, distant, or lost source, or with the return of an animal the source is from a different time. The different time is from the two time coexisting through its presences or vice versa. The out of season I think comes from stories of animals traveling to hidden realms for the winter. I have no clue where the lore on distant parts being unexpected comes in, just the way I always heard it.

Off the top of my head hummingbirds them selves gave a few readings. Luck, fortune, freedom, hidden intentions, and passion, for a start. Then enlightenment, or the drinking in of divine wisdom. Being blinded by passionate or wild pursuits. Arguments getting blown out of proportion. Tenacity or greed to ones own ruin. Or, being blinded by an emotional situation.

No mater how you read it they are an enjoyable little critter to watch. I also wanted to mention that I haven't been in those parts in years but when I last was, there was plenty a hummingbird could make food of.

Edited by PapaGheny, 12 September 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#38 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Papa Gheny, that's a lot to mull over. Believe it or not, I still haven't tracked down the reference I was looking for, and I'm beginning to suspect that it's either in something I lost or some book I have since lost respect for.

Come on back to Norfolk any time. I asked my Grandmother, who first moved into this neighborhood in the 1950s, whether she had ever seen hummingbirds in the neighborhood, and she hadn't, nor had anybody else I know who grew up here. I have a bunch of guesses about the reason for that, not very interesting ones though.

Edited by Christine, 14 September 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#39 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Christine, I suspect I'll make my way back down to those parts at some point. I have some folk scattered down through there.

I for one would take your Grandmother's word for it on the hummingbirds. I looked at a few wildlife maps and they say there should be three species there. But, I know I've never seen one on that side of the Shenandoah. I hear Virginia Beach gets them, but by my figuring it seems like coastal spill over from North Carolina they get them pretty good down there. When you first posted they should have been fighting for territory and fanning out. With some luck the population has grown. If they made it that far up the bay it could be as you said “a sign of hummingbirds to come. Certainly nothing to sneeze at!”  It's a good thing to my eye as they could pick up the slack with pollination while the bees are getting back on there feet.

If I were you I'd play the odds and hang a feed next April.

CelticGypsy, I find animal divination a great topic. I'm currently rearranging and glancing over my notes on the subject and hope to contribute more to the conversation as I find the time.

As I don't like responding on a topic without addressing it, I'll give my general take on it. I find two primary forms animal divination.

Direct - when one seeks an answer to a specified question. Such as reading bones and innards, or consulting an animal spirit or oracle.

Or

Passive – reading communication from the behavior, features, or appearance, of an animal. Like an animal making a sound under unexpected conditions, seeing an animal with particular markings, or crossing paths with an animal.

I enjoy both, but passive most often. Given that I like a divination that comes to me instead of waiting for me to think something's up. Both are tied heavily to folklore and cultural experience. However, both also cross culture by have their roots in watching and learning the nature of the animals. To me this makes it one of the many voices by which the world and often beyond can speak to us directly.

That's the way I tend to see it anyway.

#40 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Blue jays are back in my area. They've been missing for 5 autums due to disease, but this year their migration is back! it's good to be hearing their unforgettable raw calling again...not so much at dawn.

Edited by Zombee, 16 September 2016 - 08:17 PM.