5-21-11, D-Day/12-21-12 End of the World?

Pikie

It's been in the news and on billboards that the US conservative group Family Radio, is proclaiming that Judgment Day will happen on May 21, 2011. It's supposedly written somewhere in the bible. Most rational people laugh at this prophecy and there's jokes going around at work about whether or not we should clean our house before the end. Is this just another nutcase wanting publicity?

The Mayan Calendar is predicting the end of the world, or possibly the end "as we know it" on December 21, 2012. The world has been plagued in recent years with volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and flooding. Is mother nature just fighting back because of human destruction of this planet? Or could there be something to this Mayan prophecy?

:Witch-1:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MissTree

My thought....it's a hilarious example of misinterpretation and panic. Notice how it's mainly the religious groups getting wound up?

It's possible the Mayans ended their calender at 2012 because they got tired of writing? They'd written it far enough out into their own futures, maybe they figured another group would pick up the pen as 2012 got closer? It's also possible that "the end of the world as we know it" means a change in perspective. Like people leaving organized religion behind, or....nations coming together with new, exciting ways to heal the damage done to our planet...? So many possibilities. :-)

For the fundies who are crowing about "Judgement Day"....well I do hope they get their wish, and are taken off the planet that day, lol! *calling dibs on the christian neighbor's Lexus.* :-D

Guest Magdalena

I take what the end of the world fanatics say with a pinch of salt, if it happens it happens, nothing to be done about it.

My thought....it's a hilarious example of misinterpretation and panic. Notice how it's mainly the religious groups getting wound up?

It's possible the Mayans ended their calender at 2012 because they got tired of writing? They'd written it far enough out into their own futures, maybe they figured another group would pick up the pen as 2012 got closer? It's also possible that "the end of the world as we know it" means a change in perspective. Like people leaving organized religion behind, or....nations coming together with new, exciting ways to heal the damage done to our planet...? So many possibilities. :-)

For the fundies who are crowing about "Judgement Day"....well I do hope they get their wish, and are taken off the planet that day, lol! *calling dibs on the christian neighbor's Lexus.* :-D

Hysteria. When I use the " Search Button " I found at least 24 other entries for this subject or corresponding with 2012, with many points of view. I rather like living one day to the fullest, and one day at a time, keeps me simple and balanced.

Regards,

Gypsy

The end of the world has been predicted so many times and each time nothing has happened, so I won't be setting stock in this latest theory. Besides, the guy downstairs (my neighbour, not satan!) says 3rd June 2011, which is Husband's birthday and he thinks the end of the world is a great birthday present!

Not to mention, Dr Who is on on Saturdays and I'm not going anywhere until this series is finished!

Someone should also remind the Christians that there is no mention of the "rapture" in the bible.

Have had this conversation in the past both here (somewhere) and on another forum. If the Rapture occurs this weekend, I'll definitely be one of those left behind and will immediately add several hundred acres of beautiful mountain land to my holdings. (Not to mention a bunch of new pets and livestock.) I will miss my son-in-law but certainly enjoy the lack of any neighbors for many miles!

But since this same crackpot has predicted the Rapture before, I won't alter my weekend plans.

If the world ends in 2012, I won't be around to complain. If the 'world as we know it' ends, I'll adapt/adjust/whatever. The Mayans may be correct (yep, lots of natural disasters) but since I can't do anything about it, why worry?

Guest Elfyd

The Mayans did not chose the date in question, it was the result of their long and complex time-cycles showing the end of a particularly long cycle. There has never been and indication as to what this really meant, only the "ending" of something Worldly. It is more likely that 2011 (Winter Equinox) will herald a major shift in something non-geophysical. I think a case for food- or water-wars could start in many parts of the World, a shift of peoples in greographical displacement due to lack or resources and/or strife or perhaps religious fervour driving masses into destructive action.

We can look at possible examples like a George Bush scenario of creating a theocracy in the USA to continue his "crusade" he so proudly announced after the invasion of Iraq, given the power and insidious tendencies of the Southern baptist movement here or the erosion of the rain forest due to clear-cutting in Borneo and Amazonia resulting in exacerbating the natural warming of the globe.

All considerations as we move ahead.

FFFF

Elf

Yes, I read somewhere that the x-tian guy came up with his date by using the numbers that come up in the bible. His theory being that they were put there for some "reason". And that the beginning is May 21st but the big deal is Oct 5. If I remember correctly that is. As for the Mayan 2012 hoopla, well, if it's the end-then so be it. It's not like we can jump on our shuttle craft and jet off the planet! As long as it's quick, It doesn't bother me much. But, just in case, I am going to have a pack of smokes on the table, a chocolate cake in the fridge-and I got a year and a half to work on finding me a nice hottie! How I'm gonna smoke, eat and jump the hottie while the end of the world is happening is another story! Timing is everything!! LOL!

Guest Elfyd

At least you have plans for the "end"!

I think for myself I would like to be doing the "hottie" thing while witnessing Man U being relegated.

FF(F)F (courtesy of Michele)

Elf

The Mayans did not chose the date in question, it was the result of their long and complex time-cycles showing the end of a particularly long cycle. There has never been and indication as to what this really meant, only the "ending" of something Worldly. It is more likely that 2011 (Winter Equinox) will herald a major shift in something non-geophysical. I think a case for food- or water-wars could start in many parts of the World, a shift of peoples in greographical displacement due to lack or resources and/or strife or perhaps religious fervour driving masses into destructive action.

We can look at possible examples like a George Bush scenario of creating a theocracy in the USA to continue his "crusade" he so proudly announced after the invasion of Iraq, given the power and insidious tendencies of the Southern baptist movement here or the erosion of the rain forest due to clear-cutting in Borneo and Amazonia resulting in exacerbating the natural warming of the globe.

All considerations as we move ahead.

FFFF

Elf

Interesting, Elf.

Yes, I read somewhere that the x-tian guy came up with his date by using the numbers that come up in the bible. His theory being that they were put there for some "reason". And that the beginning is May 21st but the big deal is Oct 5. If I remember correctly that is. As for the Mayan 2012 hoopla, well, if it's the end-then so be it. It's not like we can jump on our shuttle craft and jet off the planet! As long as it's quick, It doesn't bother me much. But, just in case, I am going to have a pack of smokes on the table, a chocolate cake in the fridge-and I got a year and a half to work on finding me a nice hottie! How I'm gonna smoke, eat and jump the hottie while the end of the world is happening is another story! Timing is everything!! LOL!

Jump the hottie and then eat all the cake.....and remember you'll have plenty of fire to light the smokes when it's all over....

Not to mention, Dr Who is on on Saturdays and I'm not going anywhere until this series is finished!

Someone should also remind the Christians that there is no mention of the "rapture" in the bible.

And I can't miss the series finale of Dancing with the Stars......

It is more likely that 2011 (Winter Equinox) will herald a major shift in something non-geophysical. I think a case for food- or water-wars could start in many parts of the World, a shift of peoples in greographical displacement due to lack or resources and/or strife or perhaps religious fervour driving masses into destructive action.

Some would say the evidence of this is already in sight..... there seems to be a shift and a change in the winds....

At least you have plans for the "end"!

I think for myself I would like to be doing the "hottie" thing while witnessing Man U being relegated.

Elf

LOL.... sounds like a good plan.. Makes me think of the Dave Matthews song, When the World Ends...

http://www.wecanknow.com/

They claim that they calculated it from the supposed date of Noah's flood.

Personally, I'm gonna be drunk and having sex that's biblically considered an abomination on May 21st, so if Jesus comes back he better cover his eyes.

And yeah there are a bunch of threads on this. lol

I have warned my son that he may well be raptured on Saturday unless he commits a deadly sin first, forcibly taking a child from it's parents doesn't seem very Christian to me...

Guest MissTree

http://www.wecanknow.com/

They claim that they calculated it from the supposed date of Noah's flood.

Personally, I'm gonna be drunk and having sex that's biblically considered an abomination on May 21st, so if Jesus comes back he better cover his eyes.

And yeah there are a bunch of threads on this. lol

Woohoo! *high five*

Aloe, some days I envy you;-)

<-------not gettin' any.

If the world does end this Saturday then I will not be happy, no way am I letting that happen considering how hard I've been working to get into uni! If it doesn't then it means I'll just carry on as usual. I don't care about the world ending, because either way I'd be dead or forced to adapt, and I can tell everyone here that I'm a survivor. I have to admit that I'm quite the pessimist and unfortunately when I think of the end of the world or any change that would happen, my mind tends to wander along the WW3 and atomic wars route; but let's just hope it doesn't turn into a zombie apocalypse, because if any of the video games I play are to believed, then I'd be eaten for sure!

If the world does end this Saturday then I will not be happy, no way am I letting that happen considering how hard I've been working to get into uni! If it doesn't then it means I'll just carry on as usual. I don't care about the world ending, because either way I'd be dead or forced to adapt, and I can tell everyone here that I'm a survivor. I have to admit that I'm quite the pessimist and unfortunately when I think of the end of the world or any change that would happen, my mind tends to wander along the WW3 and atomic wars route; but let's just hope it doesn't turn into a zombie apocalypse, because if any of the video games I play are to believed, then I'd be eaten for sure!

Zombies? Hell, I'd be a meal made for two! LOL!

Woohoo! *high five*

Aloe, some days I envy you;-)

<-------not gettin' any.

I'm not exactly getting it all the time but hell its a special day apparently, good thing I planned something extra special! :beerchug:

Zombies? Hell, I'd be a meal made for two! LOL!

I can see it now.....straight out of the Wizard of Oz....I'll be the Lion saying "I do believe in ghosts, I do, I do, I do...."

Somehow this reminds me of Y2K, remember that one ? I was flying then, and all planes had to be out of the sky by 1700 hour. I spent that night in Southbend, Indiana, there wasn't a place open to eat, signs up everywhere, " Closed due to Y2K " Luckilly I was resourceful enough and talked my crew into walking to find a place to eat. No cabs were running either. We stumbled through an alley way and I spotted a neon sign pointing down the stairs. It was a Harley Biker Bar, we stuck out like sore thumbs, but our money was good. Had a great time playing pool with some big chap, life carried on. Flew out the next afternoon, like nobody's business. The world was gonna end then...too. Apparently Fate had other plans. lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

Somehow this reminds me of Y2K, remember that one ? I was flying then, and all planes had to be out of the sky by 1700 hour. I spent that night in Southbend, Indiana, there wasn't a place open to eat, signs up everywhere, " Closed due to Y2K " Luckilly I was resourceful enough and talked my crew into walking to find a place to eat. No cabs were running either. We stumbled through an alley way and I spotted a neon sign pointing down the stairs. It was a Harley Biker Bar, we stuck out like sore thumbs, but our money was good. Had a great time playing pool with some big chap, life carried on. Flew out the next afternoon, like nobody's business. The world was gonna end then...too. Apparently Fate had other plans. lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

I remember that, my parents had a stock pile of canned food in our basement along with other 'survival' crap in a concrete room with no windows. Just IN CASE it really was the apocalypse. :pumpkin_rolleyes:

It's been in the news and on billboards that the US conservative group Family Radio, is proclaiming that Judgment Day will happen on May 21, 2011. It's supposedly written somewhere in the bible. Most rational people laugh at this prophecy and there's jokes going around at work about whether or not we should clean our house before the end. Is this just another nutcase wanting publicity?

B.) The Mayan Calendar is predicting the end of the world, or possibly the end "as we know it" on December 21, 2012. The world has been plagued in recent years with volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and flooding. Is mother nature just fighting back because of human destruction of this planet? Or could there be something to this Mayan prophecy?

:Witch-1:

A) in order to believe in judgement day one has to be Christian. And if a Christian follows the bible which says that the timing will be like "a thief in the night" (amid trumpets and angels, lol) and that there is no way to predict the second coming. So for someone who claims to be Christian to be climing to kow the date of the second coming is kinda like a Christian claiming the bible is false, in which case they'd have to believe the second coming is false, too. Makes totally no sense from a Christain view-point.

B) The Myan calendar ends on 12/21/2012. It doesn't predict the end of the world. Also, the Myans have another calendar that starts after the one that ends, so that implies they didn't think it would be the end of the world if they felt a calendar would still be needed.

C) There have always been earthquakes, tidal waves, hurricanes all throughout history, some big and some small. And there have always been plagues - from the "sweating sickness" of old to Ebola. That hasn't changed, either.

M

This came up on another forum I'm on. Someone there said to get all those who will be the desrly departed to sign everything over to those staying behind, as a way to look after it for them, especially the animals. That way, if by some miracle the great raptur doesn't happen, you've still got their stuff.

Someone else pointed out the calculations were done on the Hebrew xcalendar dates, which are out of sync with the modern calendar we use today. He figured we still had a couple of thousand years to go & told them. They said the dates of the old testament (which they'd calculated on) were obsolete cause Jesus had changed them.. go figure. No rapture here, the next day is my nephew's 6th birthday and gotta be here for that.

As for 2012, I just see it as a shift in universal consciousness and people's understanding. Still gonna get up and have my morning coffee

Archived