Photo
- - - - -

Cassandra Latham (video)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

I was given this link on another forum and found it really interesting to watch, it's an interview with Cassandra Latham, village witch for the religious studies course of Open University.
There are links to other videos as well. I thought her observation of nature giving a clue (ie if it's pretty it's usually for love magic) to be insightful. For me, one of those it's obvious now I've been told moments.

Edited by spinney, 13 September 2012 - 03:13 PM.
To insert media and discribe post

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

I was given this link on another forum and found it really interesting to watch, it's an interview with Cassandra Latham, village witch for the religious studies course of Open University.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h77DjKOZ3Z4 There are links to other videos as well. I thought her observation of nature giving a clue (ie if it's pretty it's usually for love magic) to be insightful. For me, one of those it's obvious now I've been told moments.

Wow that was interesting. I really liked that way she cleansed her space. Thanks for sharing.

#3 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

The bullroarer? That actually comes from Australian Aboriginal tradition, thoug I can imagine other cultures would have had something similar.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#4 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

Its very practical and seems like it would be very effective.

#5 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for that Abraxia, very interesting. :)
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#6 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Very interesting,, Her approach resonated with me. Thanks for sharing..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Thank you for sharing this, she poses some purposeful and useful ideas. What I also was drawn to, were the amulets/ talismans she was wearing. From what I could see, when stopping the footage, and looking closely the smaller of the two was a deflection amulet, as it was mirrored in a way. To the "ordinary" person, it would look like an odd piece of jewlery, yet to Cassandra, obviously not. I'll come back to this from time to time, and look for more subtlies.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

I saw this about 2 weeks ago. I thought how level-headed she seemed and how simple she put things (the best way, IMHO, not a lot of mumbo-jumbo crap)...plus, I really dig her hat. :witchbroom:

Edited by Blyss, 18 May 2011 - 07:06 PM.

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#9 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Wow, thanks for the video Abraxia! I'm always interested when I hear people devoting their livelihoods to the craft, I'd like to know more about how inland revenue treats people like her and "professional" witches; I'm sure many are thinking about how nice it would be to claim back money on all of the witchy items they use.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#10 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Bumping this as I just posted the same video on another forum topic without realising was already here. (TY Aloe ;) )

This is what I like. This is what I do. This is Traditional witchcraft........And this will be me on Saturday when I go-a-gathering down the canal :D

#11 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

For those interested, Cassandra now has a book out describing her life and how she got started, it's available from Troy books.
http://www.troybooks...lage-Witch.html

#12 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for posting the book link Abraxia; I've been thinking about this video on and off for a while but could never find it, so I owe you another thanks for that :) .

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#13 CrowMusings

CrowMusings

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Great video. I may not live in the UK but we do those walks here in the US, I love them, my favorite spring and summer activity.

#14 Stormswallow

Stormswallow

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

I really appreciated finding this video. As an atheist it's always nice to hear someone confirm that religion has nothing to do with witchcraft.

"The scariest moment is always just before you start."

— Stephen King

#15 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think she is lovely. I have not read her book but I am considering it after watching that video. Love the hat very dashing.

#16 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. My motto, and I am trying to stick to it. Let's just say that I have ran into her and her partner on line and there has been quite a bit left to be desired.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery