- - - - -

Arabian Squares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well I did this, and it gave me a clear answer to the question I asked. I arranged the letters in a circle and it was easy to read the message, the three letters at the end of the sentence didn't make sense but I didn't need them. :thumbsup:

#22 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

I have just spoken to my mum again, I told her some of the letters don't make sense and she says that shouldn't happen. So maybe I have made a slight error somewhere in the squares graph I made, she is going to check it for me. If I have I will edit them and re-attatch them. ;)

#23 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

The Love Affairs document is fine, the Success and Fortune document had a few errors, I have just corrected them and re-uploaded. Sorry about that.:teehee:

#24 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

thanks for this Magdalena - when it first caught my eye I thought it was a bit like something out of one of Dan Brown's books! really interesting! - am clicking 'watch topic' so I dont miss any updates (what a geek I am!).:chakrahearts:

#25 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

I'm going to hate myself for doing this and removing the mystery and magic, but I had a go at the Arabian Square and realized it's just maths. First, I wondered if 'Arabians' would have read from left to right as we do. Then the number of squares and multiple of eight suggested it would make eight sentences of thirty-two letters each. (The occasional odd letter could be excused by the mystery of the occult). Also, why would there be a separate square for love answers and business/career answers? - Because the replies are pre-formed to fit in with the usual questions relating to those issues. I suppose the randomness of choosing the first letter could be the key to which answer you get but.....

Magdalena, please don't tell your mum about this one if she enjoys consulting her square. I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

But to prove it to myself, I made this one up. (The true magic will be me actually posting a picture without having to beg Aloe for help.) Have a go at this - and there's no once-a-month restriction. I may make up a 'Justin Bieber-based' square for my 8 yr-old granddaughter.

(Predictably, I've had to swear like a sailor at my printer/scanner/laptop/husband and assume the attached will be too small. I'll try again if it is.

Attached Files

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#26 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'm going to hate myself for doing this and removing the mystery and magic, but I had a go at the Arabian Square and realized it's just maths. First, I wondered if 'Arabians' would have read from left to right as we do. Then the number of squares and multiple of eight suggested it would make eight sentences of thirty-two letters each. (The occasional odd letter could be excused by the mystery of the occult). Also, why would there be a separate square for love answers and business/career answers? - Because the replies are pre-formed to fit in with the usual questions relating to those issues. I suppose the randomness of choosing the first letter could be the key to which answer you get but.....

Magdalena, please don't tell your mum about this one if she enjoys consulting her square. I don't want to ruin anyone's fun.

But to prove it to myself, I made this one up. (The true magic will be me actually posting a picture without having to beg Aloe for help.) Have a go at this - and there's no once-a-month restriction. I may make up a 'Justin Bieber-based' square for my 8 yr-old granddaughter.

(Predictably, I've had to swear like a sailor at my printer/scanner/laptop/husband and assume the attached will be too small. I'll try again if it is.

These such squares date back hundreds of years, more so numbers than letters, I have read about the maths behind the "Magic Squares" And yes I agree with you about it being maths, but I don't agree it is just maths. I believe it is also about the person too, their belief, their desire and their will, as in any kind of divination or workings in Witchcraft or life itself. I believe without those three things anything we strive for in any way would fall flat on it's face. The once a month thing was because of their belief in the astrological side of it. I know very little about it though.

My mum for example, she really believes in `Arabian Squares` without going into or even thinking of the mechanics behind it,and because of that, it works for her, it gives her answers and she believes in those answers which become a manifestation of her own will, whether that be a conscious or unconscious will.

No worries, I won't tell my mum, I wouldn't do that to her.;)

I will have a look at your's tomorrow Absinthe, I'm soooo tired at the moment.
:D

#27 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

mine works only if i change that one v to an e lol...

m

#28 mcdee2005

mcdee2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

This may be of some interest.............

Some apply, for an answer, to a table called a “záïrgeh.”
There is a table of this kind ascribed to Idrees, or Enoch. It
is divided into a hundred little squares, in each of which is
written Nome Arabic letter. The person who consults it
repeats, three times, the opening chapter of the Kur-án, and
the 59th verse of the Soorat el-An'ám (or 6th chapter)—
“With Him are the keys of the secret things: none knoweth
them but He: and He knoweth whatever is on the land and
[what is] in the sea: and there falleth not a leaf, but He
knoweth it, nor a grain in the dark parts of the earth, nor a
moist thing nor a dry thing, but [it is noted] in a distinct
writing.”—Having done this, without looking directly at the
table, he places his finger upon it: he then looks to see upon
what letter his finger is placed: writes that letter; the fifth
following it; the fifth following this; and so on, until he
comes again to the first which he wrote; and these letters
together compose the answer. The construction of the table
may be shewn by translating it, thus:—

d w w a w o h a b h
i o i s o t d t t w
w o a a a i e n i i
t s d n t h i a a e
o t t n t u w t d h
t i a e s f l i n u
e l n j c a d t o e
r o h y e o w y p e
f r w e d i o i a e
l n s e t l g h e h

For an example, suppose the finger to be placed on the
letter e in the sixth line: we take, from the table, the letters
e n j o y p e a c e a b s t a i n a n d, which compose this sentence:
“Abstain, and enjoy peace:” the sentence always commencing
with the first of the letters taken from the uppermost line.
It will be seen that the table gives only five answers; and
that, if we proceed as above directed, we must obtain one of
these answers, with whatever letter of the table we commence.
It will also be observed, that the framer of the
table, knowing that men very frequently wish to do what is
wrong, and seldom to do what is right, and that it is
generally safer for them to abstain when in doubt, has given
but one affirmative answer, and four negative.

taken from "An account of the manners and customs of the modern Egyptians, written in Egypt during the years 1833-1835
by Lane, Edward William, 1801-1876"

You can see with your eyes.....but can you see with your mind?
I shut my eyes in order to see.

#29 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

I googled “záïrgeh.” last night and came across that write up This is where the Arabian Squares came from I believe.

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Bumping this, as it may be of interest, given recent comments. Enjoy!

Jevne

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Bumping this, as it may be of interest, given recent comments. Enjoy!

Jevne

At first I thought this was some sort of desert when I read the title, lol.

Too complicated for me. I'll stick with tarot and my intuition.

#32 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

At first I thought this was some sort of desert when I read the title, lol.

Too complicated for me. I'll stick with tarot and my intuition.

I agree. I am not into any practice that involves mathematics. That is just crazy talk.

#33 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

I like these squares, I use similar squares occasionally. As long as the math stays simple and the letters are no harder than a crossword - I'm good! lol
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore