- - - - -

Arabian Squares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Has any one ever heard of `Arabian Squares`? My mum told me about it, she has been using it for a long time. I cannot find anything much on the internet about it.

It is a grid of letters random letters. The method is to close your eyes and randomly pick letter's (using a pen/pencil etc) while asking a question in your mind, you then count and write down every 8th letter. After having gone through the whole grid there is your answer.

Thanks in advance.

Anita.

#2 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Cool!

BUt I'm confused as to how I will close my eyes while writing letters? Or did I misunderstand?

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#3 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I've had a rummidge through my dusty old bookshelves thinking I'd seen some pictures of squares made up of letters. I found them but it was mostly in Hebrew and some even in letters 'revealed to man directly by the angels'' ...but nothing that seems to be what your mum described. Do you know if the random letters are already in some sort of ready-made square or do you fill them in yourself off the top of your head? Sounds interesting.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#4 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

I think the grid is made up of 16x16 or 8x8, can't be sure though and I'm not sure of the letter sequence. I know very little about it. My mum has a book, she says she has had it for years, it says it is an oracle and you can only ask it a question once a month. She was telling me today while we were out, so she only told me the basics, hence I wanted to find out more. I will have a look at the book though tomorrow when I go and see her. I'm just curious about it.

Anita.

#5 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

I've done a few quick searches, but I only seem to find information talking about magic squares that typically use numbers within a grid for charms, amulets and divination purposes. Although it has been mentioned that letters are used, I can't find any images or examples; wikipedia talks about word squares but claims they are simply puzzles and have nothing to do with magic squares. However I did find something interesting:

A Latin square, known in Arabic as wafq majazi, is a square containing cells in which each row and each column have the same set of symbols in distinction from a magic square in which there is no repetition.

- Glossary of Terms, Islamic Medical Manuscripts at the National Library of Medicine

Do you think these could these be similar to or a different form of the Arabian Squares?

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#6 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thank you Nineheart for the link. Arabian Squares may have evolved from what is in your link. I shall have a look at the book today and if there is an image in it I will scan it and post it here with a bit more information.

#7 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

I have typed this up from my mum's book (The Complete Book Of Fortune `The Secrets Of The Past Present and Future Revealed`) I also recreated the squares.

Arabian Squares

The Arabs----not the least superstitious race among the inhabitants of the mysteries. East----have from time immemorial reposed their faith in omens,charms,amulets and every form of divination; and few among them would dream of undertaking any action of importance without having had recourse to astrology or augury, in order to find out whether the time and circumstances be propitious or otherwise.

One of the most popular means of divination used in Egypt and the surrounding lands is the Magic Square known as "zairgeh" whose origin is attributed to the patriarch Enoch. The Arabs have many forms of "zairgeh" ranging from those of extreme simplicity to others that are very complicated and involved, requiring the use of intricate astrological calculations in consulting them.

We give here two different forms of the simpler Arabian Squares----one giving information concerning matters of love, the other referring to general fortune and worldly success----which have been adapted for English readers from an old Arabic manuscript on divination. The method of consulting the squares is the same in both cases. The consultant firmly fixes ones mind upon the matter of which one is anxious to know the issue, and then, with closed eyes, selects haphazardly one of the small lettered squares with a pin or the point of a pencil. (The Arabs, before making their choice in this manner, usually repeat various verses of the Koran a prescribed number of times, and perform other ritual which would be tedious to the majority of English readers. But this is quite unnecessary, so long as the attention is concentrated firmly upon the problem in mind)

The letter contained in the square selected is then written down, and every eighth letter thereafter is set down in it's proper order. When the bottom of the magic square is reached, turn to the top row without interrupting the counting, but underline the first letter lighted upon. Proceed until you have gone through the entire square, when the final letter that is written down will be the eighth from the one that was set down in the beginning. Now read the answer which the square has given you, starting from the letter that is underlined.

As an example, let us suppose that the reader lights upon the letter L in the fifteenth horizontal line of the square dealing with Love. One will write down L, and then, counting eight squares along, will set down S next to it, continuing with E, D (in the first line), O,N, and so on. The letter D, in the first line, will be under-lined, however, since it is the initial letter of the answer.

In order to obtain valid answers from the Arabian Squares, it is important, as we have already stated, to concentrate upon the matter in question, and on no account must the squares be consulted more than once in a month by the same person. After this lapse of time, the astrological influences determining the answers will have altered sufficiently, with the movements of the heavenly bodies to furnish another reliable reading.

I have added the squares as attachments. Thank you for your help Droghon. ;)

Attached File  An Arabian Square For Love Affairs.doc   23.4KB   19 downloads

Attached File  An Arabian Square For Success And Fortune.doc   23.39KB   3 downloads

#8 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Wow! That's really fascinating. When I have more time I think I will refer back to this and give it a go. :-)

#9 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for posting this, Magdalena. I shall wait for what seems an 'auspicious' moment in the month and have a go.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#10 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but I will give it a go.;)

#11 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Magdalena, that definitely beats anything I would have found! I'll have a go as well when I feel it's time; can't wait to see how everyone else gets on.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Has any one ever heard of `Arabian Squares`? My mum told me about it, she has been using it for a long time. I cannot find anything much on the internet about it.

It is a grid of letters random letters. The method is to close your eyes and randomly pick letter's (using a pen/pencil etc) while asking a question in your mind, you then count and write down every 8th letter. After having gone through the whole grid there is your answer.

Thanks in advance.

Anita.

Not familiar with it (and with my sucky spelling am not sure if it might be a disaster waiting to happen, lol) but - how many letters are in the grid? The whole alphabet? And are the vowels repeated more than once? And is this supposed to be an exact spelling of an answer or are you left with letters that one then "arranges" to make what words they can?

M

#13 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Magdalena, that definitely beats anything I would have found! I'll have a go as well when I feel it's time; can't wait to see how everyone else gets on.

It took me ages to make those squares, hope it was worth it lol. ;)

#14 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Not familiar with it (and with my sucky spelling am not sure if it might be a disaster waiting to happen, lol) but - how many letters are in the grid? The whole alphabet? And are the vowels repeated more than once? And is this supposed to be an exact spelling of an answer or are you left with letters that one then "arranges" to make what words they can?

M

I had not heard of it either Michele until my mum explained it to me the other day and then lent me her book lol.

The graph is 16x16 squares with letters. I'm not sure if it's the whole alphabet, I was so lost in building the squares that I didn't notice, I did notice letters being repeated, but I didn't notice if they were only vowels.

If you look at the post I made yesterday, it explains how to use the squares and there are two attatchments, which are two different squares, those squares are translated from Old Arabic manuscripts and are the only two I have. So you download those and open them in word pad, you can print them off to use them.

You have to close your eyes and select ONE letter, then open your eyes and write that letter down, underline said letter so you remember which one it was. You then count to every 8th letter after that one and write it down (write the letters down in order of selection) when you reach the bottom of the square carry on counting going up to the top row still writing down every 8th letter until you reach the 8th letter from the letter you underlined. Then read the answer the square has given you from the first letter (the one you chose).

As it says in my other post, it can only be used once a month.

#15 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

I have searched and searched online for the squares that I have attached, I cannot find them anywhere, on saying that, this thread now comes up on google search, but you have to be a member and logged in to download the attatchments. The book is available online though.

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

OKay - duh, lol... I missed the download. Okay, downloaded it and tried it. The end of the lot makes a part of a very logical and apropos sentence, but the start of it is: "S D R V A M S" which I can't manager to make any words out of??? I like the idea though (and the end of the sentence it gave me, lol).

M

#17 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

OKay - duh, lol... I missed the download. Okay, downloaded it and tried it. The end of the lot makes a part of a very logical and apropos sentence, but the start of it is: "S D R V A M S" which I can't manager to make any words out of??? I like the idea though (and the end of the sentence it gave me, lol).

M

If that V were an E it would say DREAMS without the first S. Maybe all you need is the part that makes sense to you. I will ask my mum tomorrow, she has been using it for years so she should know. I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I'm not feeling so drained, I will wait until I feel the pull to do it
. ;)

#18 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

M

Michele--- I had a word with my mum, she said you must not re-arrange the letters BUT, the beginning of the sentence could be the end of the sentence/the end the beginning. So I pondered on that Lol. then the light bulb went on in my head. If you write the letters down in a circle so first and last meet then see what it reads. Does that make sense?

#19 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, Magdalena!

I understand now. :) Thank you for taking the time to re-create those squares... a task I do not think I even have the patience to do. I will let you know how it goes if/when the mood strikes for this.

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#20 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

:popcorn: Current favorite Post/Thread, I'm trying to wrap my old bean about it. Keep helping Anita, I'll "get it" soon. lol.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1