Photo
- - - - -

Ornithomancy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Interesting thread Druidicseeker. If it wasn't for the red wiggly line under my mis-spelled words nitpickers would have a field day with me Lol.

#22 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Underlined portion does seem odd Elfyd. I'm not saying I never contradict myself, but yeah....

Sorry, I do not follow your point here. Can you expand on this please?
FFFF
Elf

#23 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Druidicseer has already been asked for her source. She may not have logged on since that request. Perhaps give her time to respond?

Hmm, some time has passed, I was interested in seeking the source, I do some comparisons of varied meanings of things like this and still have an extensive L-collection (no one wants to have them!). Is there a specific time-frame to operate on to reply to such as this?

And no swiping at spelling/grammar. No one around here is perfect in that regard.

I have contacted Druidicseeker directly with regard to this, it was misconstrued obviously. As mentioned by me in the past, I am a dunce with spelling/grammar and as such have no right to critiise anyone here on their level of proficiency. Please understand that the question regarding this was directed at the source. L may be a glitzy and professional publishing house but they can make errors. Even Cappal Bann is loaded with errors and typos but we recognise that they have some gems of books and accept them regardless.
Peace
FFFF
Elf

#24 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Sorry, I do not follow your point here. Can you expand on this please?
FFFF
Elf

That was me agreeing with you Elfyd. lol

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#25 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

That was me agreeing with you Elfyd. lol

Okay, so far. I am so damn confused over the way this has panned out, thanks for this at least!
FFFF
Elf

#26 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Okay, so far. I am so damn confused over the way this has panned out, thanks for this at least!
FFFF
Elf

Your sentence that I underlined was "I was wondering why you posted this part of the book in detail for others and you go with your "gut instincts"?."

I said that the underlined portion (quoted sentence) seemed odd to me too. It seems like a contradiction. Then I acknowledged that I occasionally contradict myself too. My thinking was that while it does seem like a contradiction, it may make perfect sense to Druidicseeker as my own contradictions make sense to me.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#27 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

One of the duties of the of seers of the Celtic world, was to divine the affairs of humankind from close observation of nature. Augury by means of birds' song or flight was by no means a practice restricted to the Celts, but birds figure largely in Celtic divination. Here is an example taken from a small tract housed in Trinity College, Dublin, in 1873. Divination by croaking of Raven.

If the Raven croaks over a closed bed within the house, this denotes that a distinguished guests, whether lay or clerical, is coming to you... If it be a layman what is to come, it is " bacacah , bacacah " the Raven says. But if it is to be a man in holy orders, the Raven calls " gradh gradh ", and it is far or late in the day that it croaks. It if be a soldier or statirest that is coming, it is " grog grog or grob grob " that it croaks, and it is from behind you that the Raven speaks, and it is from the direction the guests are to come .

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#28 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

This is the time of year for some people that omens are more prominent and more meaningful as the veil is thinnest.  I mentioned in another thread that for me, the actual random noticing of an omen or sign is the significant part.  I noticed the last two days at about 6:30-7:00 am that there were thousands of crows gathering in the trees across from my work place.  They were cawing so loud it was nearly deafening. I consider crows to be omen birds and upon noticing I felt as if there was profound meaning in this gathering and in the behavior of the birds.  What it is, I'm not sure yet, but it feels like monumental change is coming. 

#29 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

Would like to know the outcome of this when the conclusion arises w/rose if you don't mind.

#30 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

Maybe that's the reason they are called a murder of crows
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

I agree with Whiterose that timing and other factors bear directly on the interpretation of sightings.  In other words, I do not take every bird I see as some sign or omen, but unusual experiences always give me pause.  For example, over 25 robins descended upon my home and yard today, much too early for them to be showing up around here and too many for one location.  I always have quite a few, nesting around my home, but this seemed excessive.  I think my home was listed in Better Homes and Robins as prime real estate.