Photo
- - - - -

Ornithomancy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

Now divination has always been a favorite of mine and perhaps this is why I thought of Ornithomancy (divination by birds). Since ancient times the birds have been highly respected animals, often thought to be messengers of the gods and spirit realm; this is because of their status as denizens of the sky and earth. This form of divination has been practiced all over the world in ancient times and can still be practiced today! I hope that you find recieving messages through nature is as rewarding to you as it is for me!
This art is not difficult to learn and it really makes you slow down and pay attention to the natural world. We see birds every day, but it is when they really catch your eye or you feel you should be paying attention that you should sit up and take notice. Ask them "what do you have to tell me my friend?"... But bear in mind that sometimes a bird is just a bird and sometimes it can be hard to know when it is more. Listen to your intuition; do you feel a pulling in the solar plexus or a soaring feeling in your heart? I normally feel it in my head first...then my eyes and then my solar plexus. Remember that everyone reacts differently. Also before proceeding I will put it out there that a meaning of a bird listed below may not necessarily be accurate to you! Depending on your culture (or belief structure) it could mean something else.
Often if you are thinking of an important situation; a bird will appear in your line of sight. Pay attention to the behaviour of the bird, this will gie you a clue as to what message they are trying to convey. For example if a bird flys from the right to the left, its a good sighn that you will achieve your goals wih ease or if a bird flys from left to right be prepared for obstacles- you may need to rethink or seek advice. A bird flying straight toward you means thinks arefast improving and happy days are ahead (yay). A bird flying high and fast or even better - straight up means great and quick success. A bird flying away from you quickly is a warning and a bird flying horizontally you will reach your goal but the going will get tough! If you see a bird land and take off several times or flying eratically; you need to go back to the drawing board because there are unseen problems to be resolved before you may proceed. If the bird takes off and then changes in mid flight and then changes direction, youll need to be flexible because a change of heart may lie ahead. Have you ever seen a bird flying against the wind?This is an indicator that you dealing with something that appears to be other then it is.....so beware! Someone you think is you friends may not have your best interests at heart.

There are many different speices of birds... if you cant identify the type of bird (i found a really good bird encyclopedia second hand) then you can also identify by the color.
RED: a sighn of good luck
ORANGE: excitement and bliss
YELLOW: keep your gaurd up
GREEN: an adventure is ahead
BLUE: love and joy
"WHITE: happiness and joy, a good omen
GREY: peace and contentment
WHITE AND BLACK: you will avoid trouble
BROWN: good health, healing
BROWN AND WHITE: happy hearth, home
BLACK: a warning of danger... the unforeseen

If you can identify the bird... YAY. This means your oracle will be loads more accurate!!!! This is because each birdie has his or her own personal message. Heres a short list of birds and their messages.
BLUEBIRD: happiness, spiritual awakening
CARDINAL: life changing events, take care of your health
CRANE: use all your wisdom at your disposal
CROW:cawing means you have enemies working against you,so its time to bump up your shields and a crow in flight meanse travel
DOVE:peace and joy, goddess bird, promise for the future
DUCK: everything is stable in a relationship whether buisness or romantic, a qauking duck is good luck
EAGLE: using your skills wisely is good luck
HAWK:soaring high above your head means you will be victorous
HUMMINGBIRD: faithfullness, prosperity and joy
JAYS:success through presearverance,being tough when you need ton
OWL:hooting three times fortells an impending death or impending change, otherwise the appearance means wisdom and magic
RAVEN:if met up before going against an obstacle means success
ROBIN (NORTH AMERICAN): if you see one earlier in the day you will have guests later on. If one nests near your home its very good luck.
SPARROW:a peaceful and happy home;a nest near your window may mean strife on your love life
WOODPECKER: your work will be a success
WREN: current situations are improving

Messenger bird spell

You will need: a plain white paper plate, bird seed, a pen, small peices of bread
write your question on the bottom of the paper plate and turn it over and fill the dish with birdseed and bread pieces. Sitting in front of the plate meditate upon your question and then say this charm over the seed;
my feathered friends hear my request
of the gods intentions you stay abreast
please join me for this humble meal
and share your news let none conceal
your most wise counsel do i seek
by wing, tail, feather and beak
put the plate were the birds are most likely to gather. pay attention to how the arrive, depart, eat.... all of their behaviour... grab a pen and paper and jot down notes.

Edited by Druidicseer, 10 May 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:23 AM

Hello, DruidicSeer:

Interesting information; however, please provide reference to the Llewellyn book that this information came from. Good information is always welcome, but with large copy and paste jobs or summaries like this one, we want to be extra sure to give credit where credit is due.

Also, is it possible to move this to Divination, Mods? I thought it might be more fitting there. :)

J

#3 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:54 AM

Druid,
As a wannabe auger practitioner I find your post ing very interesting and somewhat informative. The caveat here though is the source and not just because of what Jevne had to add. The practice of augery (sp?) was prominent in Etruscan times, this used flight patterns, direction, hight, shadow, relation to place and line of sight and other positional and relative situations. the modern version like you show here is more of a "new age" morph and as such is hard to jump into without absorbing the contents properly and meditating on them. In the meantime i will do just that.
And, credit where it is due.
FFFF
Elf

Edited by Elfyd, 10 May 2011 - 04:55 AM.

#4 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for that, Druidicseer. I can use the flight and movement information, but we have different birds here so can't use the species specific stuff.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#5 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

This is something I've always done but I don't use any set meaning guidelines, it's all intuitive, I just know what they are trying to tell me.
It goes beyond just divination for me, it's more guidance, communication, and messages from spirit (nature)

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#6 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Never thought about ornithomancy before, but this gives a good base to start exploring from, thank you.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#7 JasonMcC

JasonMcC

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Interesting, I have read alot about the connections birds have in different cultures between realms, have to pay more attention.

Amazing what you find out when you just stop and pay attention sometimes.

~Some day I hope to become the person my dog thinks I am

#8 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

I find this a fascinating subject. There are always little signs within nature and birds are a fantastic example. I would not claim to know very much about it, but it is something that I try to observe and attempt to enterprise.

I currently have a very interesting magpie who dances on my front wall. I do not normally see birds so close to the house since I have 3 cats. I have been wondering about him for a couple of weeks now because I just have that feeling that his presence is significant. The other morning I heard this mad flapping sound, at first I though one of the cats had caught a bird because it was so frantic. I looked around for a while and eventually I realised that the magpie was on the single story part of my roof. As soon as I spotted him he stopped flapping and looked at me for a moment. Then he flew away, but I had the distinct feeling that he wanted to be seen......

#9 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

I find this a fascinating subject. There are always little signs within nature and birds are a fantastic example. I would not claim to know very much about it, but it is something that I try to observe and attempt to enterprise.

I currently have a very interesting magpie who dances on my front wall. I do not normally see birds so close to the house since I have 3 cats. I have been wondering about him for a couple of weeks now because I just have that feeling that his presence is significant. The other morning I heard this mad flapping sound, at first I though one of the cats had caught a bird because it was so frantic. I looked around for a while and eventually I realised that the magpie was on the single story part of my roof. As soon as I spotted him he stopped flapping and looked at me for a moment. Then he flew away, but I had the distinct feeling that he wanted to be seen......

Hi Georgia,

The Animal Wise Tarot has a few things to say about Magpies and their appearances. Let me know if you are curious, I'd be happy to share with you privately. I don't want to high-jack the thread. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#10 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Interesting reading, will have to make a note and maybe give it a go :).

I love watching birds (been an RSPB member for years) and always remember saving a collared dove from drowning, after she recovered she used to visit me in our garden and even sit on my hand. The saddest part was when her time was near she came back to our garden and collapsed - I held her as she passed away.

This thread also reminds me of the terrible repetitive nightmares Id have when I was very young - the last one ended with a bird flying though my bedroom window, circling around the room then flying back out. I didn't have another bad dream after that.

I also think magpies are fascinating birds and are much maligned.

Kind regards,

Edited by Gramayr, 10 May 2011 - 11:16 PM.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#11 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Having absorbed the initial post and given due consideration I have to say that I seriously doubt the validity of the source Druidicseer used for this. If, as suspected, this was from a (Llewellyn?) book then I would like to access the book itself and determine where THEIR source material was obtained.
This looks and reads like an attempted verbatim swipe, the grammar (copy?) is even worse than mine and that takes some doing!
Look closer at the qualities and aspects of the birds, do you find a lack of spirit as I?
Open yourselves up to the feel of this and offer your thoughts please.
FFFF
Elf

#12 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Druidicseer has already been asked for her source. She may not have logged on since that request. Perhaps give her time to respond?

And no swiping at spelling/grammar. No one around here is perfect in that regard.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#13 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

Having absorbed the initial post and given due consideration I have to say that I seriously doubt the validity of the source Druidicseer used for this. If, as suspected, this was from a (Llewellyn?) book then I would like to access the book itself and determine where THEIR source material was obtained.
This looks and reads like an attempted verbatim swipe, the grammar (copy?) is even worse than mine and that takes some doing!
Look closer at the qualities and aspects of the birds, do you find a lack of spirit as I?
Open yourselves up to the feel of this and offer your thoughts please.
FFFF
Elf

It was the 2011 Lewellyn Almanac... The grammar isn't that bad, it was rather a rush job. I generally myself do not really follow the specific directions and meanings in books. I rather go with my gut instinct. it is up to the person doing the divination really, and by the way your time is 7 hours ahead of mine so I had not logged on to change it.

#14 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

Hello, DruidicSeer:

Interesting information; however, please provide reference to the Llewellyn book that this information came from. Good information is always welcome, but with large copy and paste jobs or summaries like this one, we want to be extra sure to give credit where credit is due.

Also, is it possible to move this to Divination, Mods? I thought it might be more fitting there. :)

J

How do I move it to the divination forum?

#15 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

How do I move it to the divination forum?

Look at the top . . . The Moderators have already moved it. They are all stealthy like that.

#16 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

Hi Georgia,

The Animal Wise Tarot has a few things to say about Magpies and their appearances. Let me know if you are curious, I'd be happy to share with you privately. I don't want to high-jack the thread. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

Yes, I would be fascinated. Thanks Gypsy. I will look forward to hearing from you. :wickedwitch:

#17 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks so much for this post. I love birds as well and, oddly enough, have had a bunch of run-ins with some crows. They just seem to be everywhere at the moment. Not just in my yard, but across the street, across my pond, etc. They are always fighting with each other...there are three of them. I also had some hawks divebombing each other in my backyard. My dog and I enjoyed the show!

While I don't put as much stock in augery as some, I do enjoy learning what their movements and so on, MAY mean. It's just fun to me. Thanks again for sharing. :pumpkin:

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#18 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

They are very stealthy indeed!!! I will keep that in mind for the future. Thank-you for the help mountain witch and Jevne!

Edited by Druidicseer, 11 May 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#19 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

It was the 2011 Lewellyn Almanac... The grammar isn't that bad, it was rather a rush job. I generally myself do not really follow the specific directions and meanings in books. I rather go with my gut instinct. it is up to the person doing the divination really, and by the way your time is 7 hours ahead of mine so I had not logged on to change it.

Druidicseeker,
As I pointed out in my reply, I recognise my poor spelling and grammar in general. In fact another member and myself used to have friendly jabs at each other as we both realised that we were weak in this area.
I was wondering why you posted this part of the book in detail for others and you go with your "gut instincts"?
I have been a "wannabe" bird-reader for years, never had any direction or accurate source and I am in no way qualified to critisise you or others, I just wished to understand better the modus operandi in your part of this interesting topic.
FFFF
Elf

#20 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Druidicseeker,
As I pointed out in my reply, I recognise my poor spelling and grammar in general. In fact another member and myself used to have friendly jabs at each other as we both realised that we were weak in this area.
I was wondering why you posted this part of the book in detail for others and you go with your "gut instincts"?
I have been a "wannabe" bird-reader for years, never had any direction or accurate source and I am in no way qualified to critisise you or others, I just wished to understand better the modus operandi in your part of this interesting topic.
FFFF
Elf

Underlined portion does seem odd Elfyd. I'm not saying I never contradict myself, but yeah....

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore