Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What is your favourite form of Divination?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Divination (113 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite form of Divination?

1. Voted Tarot Cards (73 votes [45.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.62%

2. Voted Oracle Cards (12 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. Crystal ball (11 votes [6.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.88%

4. Voted Scrying mirror (21 votes [13.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.12%

5. Voted Runes (19 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

6. Voted Pendulum (24 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

I've only ever really used tarot cards, though I've used scrying a couple of times years ago - may have to give it another go sometime.
I was given the 'Tarot of the old Path' deck but haven't opened it yet, also got the Haindle deck and will have to make an effort to use that one as it looks quite interesting. Trouble is I've always reached for my Thoth pack - not to everyone's taste but they work for me.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#22 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Hmm I like oracle cards, probably more than tarot but I do love the tarot as well. My boyfriend recently bought me "The Wildwood Tarot", and it has relit my love for it. :sweat:

Edited by MissBotanicals, 16 May 2011 - 06:32 PM.

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#23 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Tarot (Thoth) and Runes for me. I have a Rider Waite deck and a Deviant Moon deck, but neither of them "click" for me, at least not at this time. Pendulums are great for healing work but seem to be way too open to suggestion for divination use.

#24 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Anyone heard of the 'Ring Test'? A form of divination to predict the sex of an unborn child?
Thread a ring (either the mothers or in my case mine) onto cotton thread and hold above the 'bump' while the mum to be is laying flat on her back.
If it swings round in circles it's a girl, backwards and forwards it's a boy.
She did it to herself and her sister and friends did it too, they all predicted a girl.. I did it (three times) - back and forth it went to cries of you are doing it wrong! Guess what, HE is 18 months old now.. :rolleyes: :cool:
(Sorry, just though I'd add that one.)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#25 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Anyone heard of the 'Ring Test'? A form of divination to predict the sex of an unborn child?
Thread a ring (either the mothers or in my case mine) onto cotton thread and hold above the 'bump' while the mum to be is laying flat on her back.
If it swings round in circles it's a girl, backwards and forwards it's a boy.
She did it to herself and her sister and friends did it too, they all predicted a girl.. I did it (three times) - back and forth it went to cries of you are doing it wrong! Guess what, HE is 18 months old now.. :rolleyes: :cool:
(Sorry, just though I'd add that one.)

A friend tried this while I was pregnant, the ring said girl, I have a son!

Having said that it wasn't my ring so that is probably why it didn't work so well, I haven't tried personally but I know it's a common old wives tale.

#26 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Perhaps the ring needs to be programmed, tell it what the direction means as you force it in that direction. Then stop it and ask. I've done this with pendulums before using them. As for pregnancies, I usually look at a woman's bump and just know if it's a boy or girl. My sister who is hundreds of miles away is pregnant, I said it is a girl, mum and her mum-in-law who see her more than me have both said girl as well, though in their case it could be wishful thinking lol.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#27 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:13 AM

I have always loved mirror scrying and was immediately drawn to black mirrors the first time I ever laid eyes on one. However, it has always been a real B with an itch to master. But I guess in time practice, practice practice. :D
Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#28 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

If I had to vote it would probably be for runes. Tarot was introduced in what it now known as Italy, most likely in the 18th Century and no one has determined who or why they were formulated, There is a strong belief in some circles, mostly in Stregheria, that there is a connection to pre-Aradia times, possibly a adaptation from Etruscan times using tablets. Runes were initially formulated by Woden through self sacrifice while hanging invertently from the World Tree and as such have great power if studied and worked with through the heart and soul.
Back in my biking days I used to read a standard deck of cards for the lads. Yes, they did not buy into it until i showed a high % of success, this was to my surprise as well as the boys (& girls) but I lost the impetus when I got serious with this one lass, such is life. She had great legs too!
FFF
Elf

Edited by Elfyd, 19 May 2011 - 06:44 AM.

#29 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Tarot is my absolute favorite, and my partner's. I've tried a few decks in the past (including a da Vinci-inspired deck, which LOOKED nice when I bought it, but didn't make sense in the readings), but I eventually settled with Rider-Waite, which has made sense to me more times than not, though I have yet to master the meanings of each card yet. Oracle cards are odd to me, and too specific for my tastes.

Another divination technique I like, which wasn't listed in the poll, is tea-leaf reading. I have a friend who helps run a shop that serves loose-leaf tea, and so I get to play with this from time to time. :)

I want to try runes, but I need to make some first!

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan, 19 May 2011 - 07:35 AM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

I have always loved mirror scrying and was immediately drawn to black mirrors the first time I ever laid eyes on one. However, it has always been a real B with an itch to master. But I guess in time practice, practice practice. :D

Lucky...hubby wont allow one of these in the house. Doesn't like them. I always wanted one though, just to give it a try.

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Lucky...hubby wont allow one of these in the house. Doesn't like them. I always wanted one though, just to give it a try.

Won't allow???? The instant my husband tried to tell me "not" to do or have something, I'd have me the biggest, ugliest version of whatever it was and place it in the most annoying and/or prominent place I could find in the house.

:)

#32 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

Tarotmancer here, was selling them a while back when money was tight, am hoping to start selling them again over Summer and when I finish university as it's interesting to do and keeps me occupied. Was hoping to eventually make a bit of money on it to put towards a black mirror and pendulums.

I've done fire scrying before, flour reading (Making ritual cakes usually), oneiromancy, tea leaves, interpreting the behaviours of spiders and moths (For some reason I found those two the easiest) and want to learn ogham and palmistry, possibly reading smoke and needles.

Tempted by astrology but the only people I know who use it effectively have to be pretty hardcore obsessive about it make effect of it.

#33 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Won't allow???? The instant my husband tried to tell me "not" to do or have something, I'd have me the biggest, ugliest version of whatever it was and place it in the most annoying and/or prominent place I could find in the house.

I second this! xD

I'm lucky enough to have a partner who also has an interest in divination, but where that not the case, this would, more than likely, be my own reaction. :P

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#34 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

I'm getting a crystal ball on Sunday. Will have my tarot read for me as well from this lady that I have a good feeling about, she doesn't come across as fake or 'in it for the money'. Might also pick up a pendulum, not sure yet.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#35 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

As for me, I like throwing bones (chicken, Raccoon, Opossum, Turkey)! This has always been something that resonated within me.

#36 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

As for me, I like throwing bones (chicken, Raccoon, Opossum, Turkey)! This has always been something that resonated within me.

That sounds pretty cool. I have never thought of the concept of scrying with bones. I certainly would be quite interested in learning more about this form of divination. :witchbroom:

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#37 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

My interest is piqued, as well, ZenDraegan. If you care to share more, I'd love to read it.

#38 sapphire109

sapphire109

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Tarot/oracle cards because there's alot of variety and I'm more clairsentient/claircogniant more than clairavoyant. Scrying mirror is great in strengthening my 'second sight.' I know this isn't included in the poll but I love tasseography as well, introduced to be by my father :)

Jade

#39 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

I say wont allow because he has an intense dislike for them. I honestly could get one if I wanted to and he could do nothing about it but I respect him enough to understand his wishes on this one thing. I don't let him rule me, nor I him, but I pick my battles...

#40 Sugarbunny

Sugarbunny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

I actually picked scrying mirror, because I love the use of black mirrors as well. I also do tarot and runes, though I'm not as good with runes as I am with tarot or black mirrors.

^^