Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What is your favourite form of Divination?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Divination (113 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite form of Divination?

1. Voted Tarot Cards (73 votes [45.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.62%

2. Voted Oracle Cards (12 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. Crystal ball (11 votes [6.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.88%

4. Voted Scrying mirror (21 votes [13.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.12%

5. Voted Runes (19 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

6. Voted Pendulum (24 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I thought it would be interesting to see what methods of divination we are all using, what is popular etc.
Add any comments to the thread!
Just be aware this poll is set up to show who voted for what, so if you wish to remain anon... don't vote!
Also you may vote for more than one thing.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#2 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

I only use tarot at the moment because that's what I know best, but I'm fascinated with the idea of learning to read bones.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#3 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

I picked Tarot, because it's what I've used the longest and feel the most comfortable with. But I've recently started using a pendulum, and I love it! Also, once in a while when I feel the need to, I'll pull out my Great Grandmother's oracle cards to do a reading. I find them challenging to read, but the results are often spot on.

I'm trying to get more comfortable with scrying.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

So I had to select 3. Tarot, oracle cards, and crystal ball. Those are the three I use regularly. Tarot the most but the oracle cards are catching up in their frequency of use. And the crystal ball more so than my pendulum or my runes.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#5 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

My favorite is tarot. I wasn't very successful with it until a friend gave me the Gilded Tarot deck. I've had such a blast with it since then. Very comfortable with this deck. The cards are beautiful. The readings are easier, and I've been told that my readings are spot on these days.
I'll still reach for my pendulum when I need to find something. Everything else, I go for the cards. :-)

#6 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

Tarot for me too, Runes second.
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#7 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I just love my runes! would love to do tarot better though - one day!

#8 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Voted earlier but runes, scrying mirror and tarot .. probably use Lenormand more than trad tarot decks

Nice poll Tana

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#9 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

I voted Tarot and Scrying Mirror. I have `The Mythic Tarot` I do like Scrying though.

#10 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Tarot, First
Pendulum, Second
Scrying, Third

Regards,
Gypsy

** side note ** Would like to further my path with the Runes, I love the organics of Runes.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Runes first, fire and pendulum are tied for 2nd (circumstances determine which). Tried Tarot and haven't yet been able to get my head around it. That's not to say I won't try again when life is a bit calmer & I think I have enough brainpower to learn something new.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

I voted Tarot (naturally, 20+yrs), I'm always reading! I've been teaching for about 5 yrs now, love it, love it, love it! Can't get enough :) It's natural and easy for me to read.
I own about 200 decks and use them all.
I prefer Tarot over Oracle but will read either. I need lots and lots of details in the pics, so for me oracle cards can be rather boring.
I don't use a crystal ball for divination but I throw tumblers rather, and read based on the properties of the stones
I use the Pendy to find missing items...I use it at work a lot to find discrepancies with inventory
Runes meanings are too set for my liking, I have a set that I made and a few others carved on different gem stones
Crystals I use for other things, I'm a gridder all the way! but have scryed in a point on my "Mother Quartz"chunk...I have to have the inclusions or I don't see anything.

3rd eye work is my favorite way to go, but it's not something I can do on the fly.
A couple fun ways to divine that I love are Radio divination and Doodle divination hahaha
Every time I use the bathroom, I scry with the bath rug!

My husband uses "Witch Sticks" (dowsing rods) at work to find underground water sources and the direction of flow. Ironically the boring machine he uses is called a Ditch Witch haha. He makes the rods with the metal flags he puts in the ground. I never had luck with them except finding water too. But you never know when you'll need to find water lol.

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#13 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Picked Tarot, but also use the Lenormand as well.

#14 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

I've been successful with Tarot for years but discovered Lenormand cards relatively recently and they just clicked instantly with me; I find it almost effortless to read them. But although it's not part of the poll, I have to say I divine best by dreaming. I ask for an answer before I go to sleep and almost always get an accurate (if scary) reply in my dreams.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#15 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

I've been successful with Tarot for years but discovered Lenormand cards relatively recently and they just clicked instantly with me; I find it almost effortless to read them. But although it's not part of the poll, I have to say I divine best by dreaming. I ask for an answer before I go to sleep and almost always get an accurate (if scary) reply in my dreams.

Hey Absinthe, I always thought Lenormand cards were considered Oracle cards - am I wrong there? I have some but don't know much about them yet. lol

Edited to add: I misread you A, I thought you were saying Lenormand wasn't an option in the poll. Need more coffee here!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#16 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

Aloe I think you're correct in thinking that Lenormand cards would be considered Oracle cards.

Absinthe, I like the Lenormand cards in that, for me, they give very clear readings and are less 'work' for me than regular Tarot cards. Much like runes they can be very direct

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#17 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

I use my pendulum most of all. I find it really handy since I am constantly on the go.

When I do have time set aside I love my tarot cards. For a while it did feel as though I would never fully get to grips with them, but now I really get so much from them.

Really looking forward to dabbling with other forms of divination in the future. Just starting out with tea leaves too.

#18 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

I am most attuned to runes, although I get on well with a pendulum as well.

I have tried tarot a few times but it never "clicks" with me, think I will stick with runes for the time being.

#19 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

For me runes first and scrying second (no matter what type it is!) :)

#20 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Aloe I think you're correct in thinking that Lenormand cards would be considered Oracle cards.

Absinthe, I like the Lenormand cards in that, for me, they give very clear readings and are less 'work' for me than regular Tarot cards. Much like runes they can be very direct

like the sound of these then! going to have to give them a go. :chakrahearts: there is hope...!