- - - - -

Static jumping to wood..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hi folks, thought I'd start a separate thread to the electricity/lightening one as this seams a little odd to me.
Several times over the past few days or so when stood at the top of the stairs I'd just about to put my hand on top of the newel post (painted, not bare wood) and heard a sharp 'tick' sound you get when discharging static. I've looked to see if it was something else (pressing a paint bubble etc) and found nothing to recreate it there and then.
It's been quite dry of late but I've not known me ever to get static off wood - only metal (shopping trollies mostly) so I'm quite bemused hence this post.
Kind regards,

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

I know I get shocked from the metal file cabinets at work (especially if it is cold out). Rather annoying, lol.

Hey - I can't remember (re your other thread), but as you are posting a bit have you thought of applying to join the forum so you can post and interact rather than staying in the guest spot?

M

#3 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hey - I can't remember (re your other thread), but as you are posting a bit have you thought of applying to join the forum so you can post and interact rather than staying in the guest spot?

M

I tried tried applying before I posted anything - I'd only just found this forum whist searching the web and only finding 'fluffy' forums. Google can be your friend and does give good answers but sometimes it's asking the right question in the first place.. Don't think I did. I rushed the app form as well which didn't help. I'll try again when I can get on a computer (using a phone is tedious but it's all I have most of the time).
Kind regards,

#4 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

I tried tried applying before I posted anything - I'd only just found this forum whist searching the web and only finding 'fluffy' forums. Google can be your friend and does give good answers but sometimes it's asking the right question in the first place.. Don't think I did. I rushed the app form as well which didn't help. I'll try again when I can get on a computer (using a phone is tedious but it's all I have most of the time).
Kind regards,

Hi Gramayr

the most common reason for registrations being denied is generally that the person has only started exploring the path of Trad Craft, or just rushes the application. My advice to everyone who is denied is simply to read the forum at leisure, see what resonates with them and try and find out what they hope to gain from membership. Often people reapply after some time doing this and are accepted. As you mentioned trying to fill in the registration on a phone is not ideal as you can't really give it much time, however, time reading the forum and applying later is time well spent.

Kind Regards

Droghon

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#5 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hi Gramayr

the most common reason for registrations being denied is generally that the person has only started exploring the path of Trad Craft, or just rushes the application. My advice to everyone who is denied is simply to read the forum at leisure, see what resonates with them and try and find out what they hope to gain from membership. Often people reapply after some time doing this and are accepted. As you mentioned trying to fill in the registration on a phone is not ideal as you can't really give it much time, however, time reading the forum and applying later is time well spent.

Kind Regards

Droghon

Hi Droghon,
Nail on head springs to mind :) so I've been mooching round the forum having a good read and it has been a pain not being able to reply to threads. Might try later tonight :)
If that fails I'll just stay a 'lurker' lol

On the subject of static, I'm wondering if I'm brushing against our metal stairgate at the same time and it's this I can hear. Won't be happy till I find out <insert annoying.gif here>
Kind regards,

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Are you thinking there may be a "witchy" element to your static encounters? I, personally, have not experienced anything like that static-wise. With me it seems to be more of a hair-on-neck-stands-up sort of thing (no, my neck is NOT especially hairy, lol). I suppose if you do attract a lot of static electricity you could harness that, much like one could harness the extra energy around during a thunder storm for their workings... Also, EJJ in "Roebuck in the Thicket" mentions seeing elemental activity as little blue and green flashes of light. I can't tell you why but for some reason I attach the static like "spark" with that in my mind, although I doubt that would happen in a house. If it constantly happened in a specific wooded area, or when you were involved in a ritual, then I'd say it could be something more along witchy lines. But as I haven't dealt with static myself, I can't really say other than to offer ideas. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had static dealings.

M

#7 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

In my old office I used to have a metal filing cabinet and a nasty, cheap nylon carpet. The resulting shock when I touched the cabinet produced a blue/violet tiny lightening fork between the metal and my fingers. The secretaries used to come up to my office and say: "Shock yourself so we can see the spark."

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#8 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi Michele,
I don't know what to think. I have an inquisitive nature so now I'm consciously aware of it happening I'll be looking to see what causes it whereas before it was a surprise when it happened. Not seeing a spark or feeling a shock I'm now more inclined to think it's coming from my clothing but thats just a 'scientific guess' as it were.

I've never labelled myself as a 'witch' or 'trad crafter' etc. but have always followed similar beliefs and even done/experienced a few things - though on a similar vein being able to change sparkplugs doesn't make you a mechanic. I'd not heard the term 'trad craft' before the day I found this forum and had always thought of witchcraft being associated with the 'fluffy' lot (how wrong I could be). I even joined a few Wiccan forums but it felt like diving into candy floss lol - not for me and not been back to them (especially when I got the comment 'welcome to your new path' <shudders>). But I digress..

..well that's got me, I've just done it again (this post has sat mulling on my phone for a while now). Got called downstairs - didn't think about it, just put my hand out and I'm pretty sure it came from my fingertips so it's not my clothing. It was only faint but was the same sound and made me spin round to look. It's got me baffled.

#9 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

In my old office I used to have a metal filing cabinet and a nasty, cheap nylon carpet. The resulting shock when I touched the cabinet produced a blue/violet tiny lightening fork between the metal and my fingers. The secretaries used to come up to my office and say: "Shock yourself so we can see the spark."

lol
My old school had a nasty nylon carpet in the library, I'd shuffle around and then zap some unsuspecting victim on the back of the neck while their minds were elsewhere looking for books. Unfortunately the headmaster had the same carpet in his office and I was told if caught you had to do it to him (I was never caught) who would then dish out a punishment.. Good fun :)

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi Michele,
I don't know what to think. I have an inquisitive nature so now I'm consciously aware of it happening I'll be looking to see what causes it whereas before it was a surprise when it happened. Not seeing a spark or feeling a shock I'm now more inclined to think it's coming from my clothing but thats just a 'scientific guess' as it were.

I've never labelled myself as a 'witch' or 'trad crafter' etc. but have always followed similar beliefs and even done/experienced a few things - though on a similar vein being able to change sparkplugs doesn't make you a mechanic. I'd not heard the term 'trad craft' before the day I found this forum and had always thought of witchcraft being associated with the 'fluffy' lot (how wrong I could be). I even joined a few Wiccan forums but it felt like diving into candy floss lol - not for me and not been back to them (especially when I got the comment 'welcome to your new path' <shudders>). But I digress..

..well that's got me, I've just done it again (this post has sat mulling on my phone for a while now). Got called downstairs - didn't think about it, just put my hand out and I'm pretty sure it came from my fingertips so it's not my clothing. It was only faint but was the same sound and made me spin round to look. It's got me baffled.

Hi, have you thought about the possibility that the newel post has a metal rod in it? Most that I've seen have a rod down the center which allows the post to be screwed in to the top of the ralling. Also, it could just be the type of socks you are wearing and/ or the type of flooring you are walking on the creates the environment for a static shock. All static is, is energy that is built up and is discharged all at once in someplace or something (usually metal) that does not have that much energy in it. This being the case, it is highly likely you can control this and use in for your purposes.

#11 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi, have you thought about the possibility that the newel post has a metal rod in it? Most that I've seen have a rod down the center which allows the post to be screwed in to the top of the ralling. Also, it could just be the type of socks you are wearing and/ or the type of flooring you are walking on the creates the environment for a static shock. All static is, is energy that is built up and is discharged all at once in someplace or something (usually metal) that does not have that much energy in it. This being the case, it is highly likely you can control this and use in for your purposes.

Funny you saying that - I was looking at our carpet and thinking the same thing, it's cheap hardwearing stuff as its a rented house so probably has nylon in it. The newel post has a larger top cap on it and is opposite the bathroom so might get a bit condensation under it which would account from where the spark comes from (my fingers wrap round it) that's the only thing I can think of.

#12 Dream Walker

Dream Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

If the paint on the post is old enough I would bet dollars to dimes this can be explained by the presence of either lead or tin oxide in the paint.
"Time is a moving image of eternity" - a mechanical copy of a more profound reality.
- Plato/ Tobias Churton

#13 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

as someone who is constantly being shocked, I would have to think there is some metal about somewhere that is making this happen - if its in the post, then maybe cover the top with something to absorb the static? - or try touching wood prior to touching the post - this usually works for me! (I know the fact its a timber post thats creating the shock is baffling!)

never had any shocks from the baby gates (yet!) so maybe the cheap carpet isnt helping, my old workplace had that and filing cabinets and its was an electric shock nightmare for me!

hope this helps.

#14 Guest_WindWrath_*

Guest_WindWrath_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

Electrons 'charged particles' build up on the surface. So an insulator like glass will build a charge like any material.When the charge is high enough to bridge the gap JUMP POP lets find ground.It's just that metal provides a better ground so bigger pop but with a high enough charge it WILL find ground thru wood or air or anything.Hope that helps a little. TW's seem to be naturalists the modern word being physicist or the study of everything.

#15 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, it still keeps doing it (I think it's something to do with the gloss paint, there is no metal as it's an all wood staircase - maybe save for the fixings). Got me puzzled everytime it happens as it isn't a big pop and I can't feel anything. Trouble is I can never recreate it afterwards.
Saying that I got a wallop off an ikea trolly today - right on the tip if my thumb! :( So if you see anyone whacking a supermarket trolly it'll be me grounding myself. :lol:

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#16 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Static electricity is when positive and negative charges on an atomic level are polarised - this means people can carry a static charge ;) Some people are more prone to it than others, sometimes inexplicably. It can be fascinating yet also bloody annoying!

I tend to carry a charge almost all the time, have tried so many things to stop it but it just doesn't happen. As daft as it sounds it's usually worse when I'm cheerful! My boyfriend gets frequent shocks off me and often interferes with electronics - batteries are the worst, they run flat very quickly if it's something I have to wear or handle.

Not as bad as my mother though, she makes watches start turning backwards unless she has to try on watches before she buys to make sure she gets one that works for her :)

Common things to watch out for though are certain carpets - unusually unnatural fibres, you can also get anti-static bracelets that people who build microchips wear, anti-static shoes are the opposite of insulating soled shoes so you're more likely to get electric shocks but not static ones. Fibreglass, plastics and elastic rubbers have a knack for building up static as well when you handled them.

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

... you can also get anti-static bracelets that people who build microchips wear...

My mum once had a problem with a static-shock computer, so she used to keep Bounce dryer-sheets under the keyboard, lol...

M

#18 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

My mum once had a problem with a static-shock computer, so she used to keep Bounce dryer-sheets under the keyboard, lol...

M

Sounds like another case of PEBKAC..
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.
(Something I suffer from - usually spelling)
:lol:

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein