Photo
- - - - -

anyone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Be careful with some food colouring, my aunt tried making candles with some and it had... er... interesting results. (I didn't get the name of the brand, but it was probably just a local supermarket one she had spare)

Apparently some colours have a flammable tendency which results in a good way to get the hearth going once lit but not for the nice romantic glow she was aiming for. Apparently smelt quite poor burning as well.

To this day I have no idea how she managed it. But I'd hazard a tester-tealite if planning to use certain oils and colourants, of nothing else they can alter the consistancy of the wax you're playing with.

I've not got candle making on the cards yet, have made some in the past (usually those kits people buy as gifts from chandling suppliers) It is quite easy, but it's also very easy to get adventurous before you've really got your feet wet (See above tale)

Many places will show all these stunning candles that are easy to make with simple instructions, yet having a basic foundation on 'boring' candles gets you a long way a lot quicker as you tend to pick up slight alterations and ways to self correct as you go along. Same with most things really, but a lot more flammable.

#22 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

At this site:

http://www.beeswaxcandlesheets.com/

you can get honeycomb beeswax sheets in all colours including black. Simply cut to size, roll around a wick and you have the quickest homemade candles ever!
Lots of tips, hints and ideas on the site.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#23 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

At this site:

you can get honeycomb beeswax sheets in all colours including black. Simply cut to size, roll around a wick and you have the quickest homemade candles ever!

Cool. Thank you, Tana!

#24 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Be careful with some food colouring, my aunt tried making candles with some and it had... er... interesting results. (I didn't get the name of the brand, but it was probably just a local supermarket one she had spare)

Apparently some colours have a flammable tendency which results in a good way to get the hearth going once lit but not for the nice romantic glow she was aiming for. Apparently smelt quite poor burning as well.

To this day I have no idea how she managed it. But I'd hazard a tester-tealite if planning to use certain oils and colourants, of nothing else they can alter the consistancy of the wax you're playing with.

I've not got candle making on the cards yet, have made some in the past (usually those kits people buy as gifts from chandling suppliers) It is quite easy, but it's also very easy to get adventurous before you've really got your feet wet (See above tale)

Many places will show all these stunning candles that are easy to make with simple instructions, yet having a basic foundation on 'boring' candles gets you a long way a lot quicker as you tend to pick up slight alterations and ways to self correct as you go along. Same with most things really, but a lot more flammable.

Interesting story... Thanks for the tip!!! :) I did candles with food coloring when I was younger (didn't do a lot nonetheless I enjoyed it) and I really can't remember which brand of food coloring we used... It would be interesting to know what brand your aunt used... Don't know if you could ask her!?!?!?

Aika

#25 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

At this site:

Great input!!! :) Thanks!!! :)

#26 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

At this site:

These kind of candles were the first candles I ever made. I got a kit as a child. They make a great family project for those who want to do crafty things with their kids.

Awesome! I love the candles on this site!

(I'm buying the white rose candle....lol. It just called my name and said "Buy me.")

#27 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

It all depends on how you feel about these things, but here's a thought. Buy glass tealight holders in every color. Then you just pop in a plain old white tealight and the color correspondence is there in the holder. I have red, blue, orange, black...I think it's a tidy solution to the problem. Just cleanse the holder after each use. (I also have a huge collection of candles because I am lucky enough to have two good occult shops within walking distance of my home--but those beeswax colored candles ARE expensive, and sometimes, you just want a short burn---so out come the tealights and holders!)

Edited by Rowan, 03 September 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#28 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Don't know how big of a candle you want, but found a seller on ebay who does just about every colour known to man.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!