Photo
- - - - -

anyone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Although I do not subscribe to having to use all kinds of "things" in order to do magic I do feel candles to be powerful representations of what my magic is supposed to accomplish. I live in an area that has nothing in the way of "supply" stores. Is my only alternative to order online? I can't find black candles...just plain black unscented candles...anywhere. This is really ticking me off. Anyone else have this problem? All I want are candles, some incense and a few simple herbs to have on hand. Is that too much to ask? The nearest place is 30 minutes away and although I am willing to drive there I don't know much about the place except it is geared towards Wicca (the offer Wicca classes...get my drift?). I am going to check it out tomorrow. Is there a really good and reputable online "supply" store in the United States that anyone can recommend?? Thanks all.
"don't waste your death on a half-assed life" ~ Nikki Sixx

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Although I do not subscribe to having to use all kinds of "things" in order to do magic I do feel candles to be powerful representations of what my magic is supposed to accomplish. I live in an area that has nothing in the way of "supply" stores. Is my only alternative to order online? I can't find black candles...just plain black unscented candles...anywhere. This is really ticking me off. Anyone else have this problem? All I want are candles, some incense and a few simple herbs to have on hand. Is that too much to ask? The nearest place is 30 minutes away and although I am willing to drive there I don't know much about the place except it is geared towards Wicca (the offer Wicca classes...get my drift?). I am going to check it out tomorrow. Is there a really good and reputable online "supply" store in the United States that anyone can recommend?? Thanks all.

Ordering online has it's advantages. I always " cleanse " any online purchase I make, whether is special home-made paper or old reference book, ect. Hardware stores carry natural bees-wax, I purchase for making my own candles and such. Also in the canning section of any local grocery store will carry clear wax to cover for the making of jams/jellies in jars. I'd put my phone to work and call about your area, and inquire if these places carry such items. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Or there's always luckymojo if you're not feeling as industrious as CG. ;) http://www.luckymojo.../catalogue.html
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#4 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

When I ran my own business I would buy ingredients from the Australian part of this business, http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/ this is the US webite. They sell essential oils and stuff to make skin care but they also carry different waxes for cndle making, including soy and colours. I can vouch for the quality of their products and used to chat with their Americn customers regularly, who were also happy with them. Who knows, if you feel really enthused you might just start a cottage industry.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#5 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

thanks all...I have always wondered about candle making actually. My home is scattered with candles in every room and I burn them even just for my own pleasure of course but most are the pretty scented ones and I would rather have unscented ones for my spell work. I will check out my local phone book a little better and see what I can find online too, Thanks again.

#6 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby they occasionally sell black candles as decor items. Espcially Hobby Lobby, but both carry them around Halloween. Michael's carries wax, dyes and scents to make your own candles too, and they have these neat jars that I am constantly buying for herb storage and witch bottles. Some of them have corked tops and some have the hinged lids. Anyway, I live in the bible belt, so these stores are the best I have and its where I get my black candles. I usually stock up right after Halloween because they have the tall pillar kind, votives and the short pillars and they are usually unscented, but last year they were licorice scented so I didn't buy any. ( Also, Walmart sells those Jesus candles in some places and you can always peel the decal off, but they are glass encased. ) With online stores, they are ok for somethings but with others you dont really know what you are getting until it gets there so if your going that route, try to go with a recommended site. There are plenty of people on this site that run a website business selling witchy items.

#7 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby they occasionally sell black candles as decor items. Espcially Hobby Lobby, but both carry them around Halloween. Michael's carries wax, dyes and scents to make your own candles too, and they have these neat jars that I am constantly buying for herb storage and witch bottles. Some of them have corked tops and some have the hinged lids. Anyway, I live in the bible belt, so these stores are the best I have and its where I get my black candles. I usually stock up right after Halloween because they have the tall pillar kind, votives and the short pillars and they are usually unscented, but last year they were licorice scented so I didn't buy any. ( Also, Walmart sells those Jesus candles in some places and you can always peel the decal off, but they are glass encased. ) With online stores, they are ok for somethings but with others you dont really know what you are getting until it gets there so if your going that route, try to go with a recommended site. There are plenty of people on this site that run a website business selling witchy items.

I was actually in Michael's on Monday looking for candles...but of course right now..no black. I will have to check out their candle making section though as I would like to try that...it would make my work much more personal IMHO. I see the ones you mentioned at Wal Mart all the time too. I went to Old Tyme Pottery today and they will be great for glass bottles to keep herbs in. I am making a trip back to Michael's tomorrow though...I never have checked out the entire store. I usually just head to frames or when I did nails I went straight to the artist paints. Looks like an exploration is necessary!

#8 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

I tend to shop online at the Pumpkin and the Cauldron. The owner is a friend and is very open to all paths, so she carries a bit of everything at a decent price. She has all black, unscented chime candles which you can buy by the box. She also has a very decent herb selection for good prices. If you're wanting taller black candles, I only know of where to get them in person, as online seems to be a headache until Halloween rolls around.

#9 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

I tend to shop online at the Pumpkin and the Cauldron. The owner is a friend and is very open to all paths, so she carries a bit of everything at a decent price. She has all black, unscented chime candles which you can buy by the box. She also has a very decent herb selection for good prices. If you're wanting taller black candles, I only know of where to get them in person, as online seems to be a headache until Halloween rolls around.

Thanks so much. I will check it out!

#10 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

what a great site!!! Thanks for recommending it. Pretty much everything I am looking to buy (which isn't much just specific). Thanks again.

#11 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

Every time I try to use black candles they never stay lit lol.
I have 3 hockey puck looking ones i picked up on clearance at halloween, pm me if you want them, I dont really need them for anything, I'm good with plain old whites.
I get a lot of my herbs and incense at the public market, and festivals here and there. When I go I really stock up. Its an ass ride for me to get to the shops too!

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#12 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

Every time I try to use black candles they never stay lit lol.
I have 3 hockey puck looking ones i picked up on clearance at halloween, pm me if you want them, I dont really need them for anything, I'm good with plain old whites.
I get a lot of my herbs and incense at the public market, and festivals here and there. When I go I really stock up. Its an ass ride for me to get to the shops too!

How I wish we had a public market or festivals around here!!!! If I can't find any black ones tomorrow I will PM you! I really only need a couple!

#13 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

How I wish we had a public market or festivals around here!!!! If I can't find any black ones tomorrow I will PM you! I really only need a couple!

Great! They're all yours!! :)

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#14 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

Normally find all my supplies on Ebay. However with regards to candles think I will start making my own again.....There is a very comprehensive hobby shop near me......:wickedwitch: Tho need to find some "figure moulds" here in the UK. Postage is horrendous from overseas, anyone know a shop or someplace that has them.

#15 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

Good day, all.

I'll echo the above sentiments concerning Hobby Lobby - they have a fairly good cross-section of candles most days. Hallowe'en is wonderful for black candle availability, even at the local Wal-Mart, but we're making our own now as often as possible since a lot of the black candles we've found are lacking in quality. Hobby Lobby carries everything needed for making your own, and pouring your own also allows you to scent them yourself for whatever purpose you might have in mind if you're so inclined.

I'll also mention that most Dollar Tree stores carry various colors of tea candles in packages of 6 for $1; some are scented but you can get unscented also. Tea candles aren't as sexy as tapers or votives, but if you only need a short burn time they're very economical and they're also really inexpensive to pour if you are making your own.

Dollar Tree also carries "emergency candles" in boxes of 5 or 6 for $1 - only in white and unscented, but they have a decent burn time and the price is right.

Kind regards,

Kurt

Edited by Abydos, 05 May 2011 - 12:47 PM.

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#16 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

I have heard of Hobby Lobby...I don't know of any around here. I will have to check it out though if I can find one. I think I am leaning towards making my own as they would be even more potent that way.

#17 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

Good day, all.

I have heard of Hobby Lobby...I don't know of any around here. I will have to check it out though if I can find one. I think I am leaning towards making my own as they would be even more potent that way.

You can check out www.hobbylobby.com for a store locator. They indicate that there are currently 475 stores in 40 states, so chances are you might well find one near you. They also offer online shopping as well.

I should also mention that I have seen candle-making supplies at the larger Wal-Mart stores, so they might be worth a check.

BTW - a lot of thrift shops (Goodwill, etc.) receive cast-off unused candles amongst other donations - another place to pick them up on the cheap for the witch on a budget. :vhappywitch:

Kind regards,

Kurt

Edited by Abydos, 05 May 2011 - 01:51 PM.

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#18 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

well, didn't make it to Michaels, maybe tomorrow...but I did go to the specialty store I found. It is about half an hour from me (streets not highway..might take less time if I drive the highway). Can I just say..wow! They have everything I could ever want. Well..actually all I wanted right now was a few candles, some incense, and sage smudge. The prices are reasonable also. They have a very large selection of loose herbs also, oils, candles of every color, incense, books (2 room fulls), jewelry, crystals, etc...They have the "spell kits" too...which I tend to shy away from as I would rather write and do my own. I am going back next week to check it out more in depth as I didn't have lots of time today. The girl working was very pleasant and helpful. I got a really good feeling from the place.

I am still going to check out the do-it-yourself candle making though...I am really interested in trying it.

if anyone is in the central florida area....the store is called Avalon.

#19 Phoenixfire15

Phoenixfire15

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Oh..and there is a Hobby Lobby right down the street from where I went today! Looks like I lucked out!

#20 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

Hi...

Have you thought about making your own candles? It's actually pretty easy and you can make batches of different colors with food coloring... If you search the net, you'll find many sites that show you step by step how to make them... I know that candles are usually not expensive, nonetheless, making yours can be interesting to say the least ;)

Aika