The Worst Witch and Other Movies I Love

RavenLB

I LOVE the film "The Worst Witch." I think it was made-for-TV around 1985, and starred Fairuza Balk, Diana Rigg, Charlotte Rae, and Tim Curry. It's really hokey and silly, but revolves around a British boarding school for Witches, and the "worst" pupil in the school, Mildred Hubble. I used to watch it over and over on VHS, and as soon as I was able to find the books, I snapped them all up (even though they were hard to find in America.) They were written way before Harry Potter, and before the modern Witch/magic craze started in popular culture. As a small child, I used to want to go to the Witch academy in the book, even though I was a boy (the school was not co-ed) and lived in the Southern US.

Other films I love include "Season of the Witch" (the one by George Romero, NOT the "Halloween" one,) Hocus Pocus, Witch's Night Out, Halloweentown, and a made-for-TV film who's name I forget about two high school girls who are Witches, one good and one evil.

Anybody else enjoy these? Season of the Witch isn't well known, but it's worth a watch if you can find it. I have The Worst Witch on DVD....

I LOVE the film "The Worst Witch." I think it was made-for-TV around 1985, and starred Fairuza Balk, Diana Rigg, Charlotte Rae, and Tim Curry. It's really hokey and silly, but revolves around a British boarding school for Witches, and the "worst" pupil in the school, Mildred Hubble. I used to watch it over and over on VHS, and as soon as I was able to find the books, I snapped them all up (even though they were hard to find in America.) They were written way before Harry Potter, and before the modern Witch/magic craze started in popular culture. As a small child, I used to want to go to the Witch academy in the book, even though I was a boy (the school was not co-ed) and lived in the Southern US.

Other films I love include "Season of the Witch" (the one by George Romero, NOT the "Halloween" one,) Hocus Pocus, Witch's Night Out, Halloweentown, and a made-for-TV film who's name I forget about two high school girls who are Witches, one good and one evil.

Anybody else enjoy these? Season of the Witch isn't well known, but it's worth a watch if you can find it. I have The Worst Witch on DVD....

I've not heard of these, and I'm a " seasoned Woman ". lol. They sound good though. I'll have to do a search for them, thanks for posting ! I'd love to get my hands on the books, those sound like a fun read. :wickedwitch:

Regards,

Gypsy

I've seen a few episodes of The Worst Witch, it was quite good from what I remembered but I haven't read any of the books. I'm pretty bad with witchy films, I haven't really seen any although there have been many mentioned on the forums here, I just haven't got round to watching them.

Guest Elfyd

RavenLB,

If the movie has Tim Currie starring then I HAVE to see it. If you like this as it is c.1895 then you might like "Catweasel" and/or "The Moon Stallion"

Just a thought,

FFFF

Elf.

Guest Elfyd

Catweasel? Elf, now you are really bringing back memories! Did you see Worzel Gummidg? I never saw either of them, but i do remember them being on TV when I was younger.

Abraxia,

I did watch Catweasel, loved it, he had a favourite, a toad (of course) named "Touchstone" I also recall him reacting to "elec-trickery". Gummidg, no have not seen 'em and it took me years to find out what a Worzel was!

Anyone here seen Moon stallion? All I have seen is tit-bits on Utube.

FFFF

Elf

Abraxia,

I did watch Catweasel, loved it, he had a favourite, a toad (of course) named "Touchstone" I also recall him reacting to "elec-trickery". Gummidg, no have not seen 'em and it took me years to find out what a Worzel was!

Anyone here seen Moon stallion? All I have seen is tit-bits on Utube.

FFFF

Elf

I watched Worzel Gummidg as a kid - its was great! His head could come off and he could put on others - and dont get me started on that Aunt Sally!!!!!

RavenLB,

If the movie has Tim Currie starring then I HAVE to see it. If you like this as it is c.1895 then you might like "Catweasel" and/or "The Moon Stallion"

Just a thought,

FFFF

Elf.

Oh, you HAVE to see it! Tim Curry plays "the Grand Wizard" and has a musical number with the worst special effects ever. You can see clips of it on YouTube; the film has kind of a cult following. They made a TV series out of it (which was actually much closer to to books) but not until about 10 years later. The movie is definitely a must-see.

R.

I used to read the Worst Witch books as a kid and always wished I could go to that school instead of my own as I felt I would fit in better.

They are wonderful, wonderful books. I think they were what turned me into such a dedicated Anglophile!