Photo
- - - - -

Faces before I sleep

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Anyone just hear them? As Im drifting off, i will have something speak into my...head? Calling my name, trying to talk to me. Is this strange? Always seem to know my name. Must be a relative?

I hear a lot of random voices before I go to sleep also.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#22 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Anyone just hear them? As Im drifting off, i will have something speak into my...head? Calling my name, trying to talk to me. Is this strange? Always seem to know my name. Must be a relative?

Ditto.

#23 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

I hear them, as well as see them. But I won't be lured into a false security that, "they" know me and want to connect with me. As you seem to believe, ( Bunky ) that they know your name. Just because they have heard my name spoken, does not give them the license to have me reveal myself to them. Other worldly spirits, entities, what ever one would call them, just like the human counterparts, can lie and manipulate, to better their situation.

As a human vessel, when one is drifting off to sleep, is when one may be more vulnerable to these speaking facial apparitions. For me personally, unless I call them to me, and welcome them to my dream world, I tend not to give them licence or a privilege to wander about unchecked. If they can, they will, and do, good or bane as it suits them.

I tend to have situational awareness regarding my waking hours as well as my sleeping hours. But that's just me, I'd rather be in control, than not.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

When I see faces they are often distorted and very quickly become skeletol or decaying/ghoulish in some way. Voices I rarely hear, although on occassion I have had a yes or no answer to something pushed resoundingly through my head, lol. I don't find the faces threatening, and I do find that if I am concentrating on something else while I fall asleep they are pushed out... my mind has to be clear and open to see them.

M

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ditto.

Yep.

#26 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thanks so much for the responses. I am always more sensitive to sound than sight in regards to spiritual working. My son can see and hear them, alas, its only occaisionally that I may randomly see spirits i dont call.
CG, i want to reaaly thank you for your input. Its a more than valid point. I need to keep that in check. All the best!

#27 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks so much for the responses. I am always more sensitive to sound than sight in regards to spiritual working. My son can see and hear them, alas, its only occaisionally that I may randomly see spirits i dont call.
CG, i want to reaaly thank you for your input. Its a more than valid point. I need to keep that in check. All the best!

Oh you are most welcome Bunky, you know how when we've gone to the grocery store with our kids when they were little, and we heard the word " Mom ?!?! " even when it wasn't one of ours, we turned our head to see where the voice was comming from. That's how I veiw it, in a sense. Even though those little kids, had no connection to us personally, the word/name " Mom " caused us to respond. In that situational awareness, I did a head count as to just where my mop tops were ! lol ! The same can be applied to just your personal name, would if you and I not knowing each other from nowhere, happened to share the same name, and a person came in and called that name, would that person be acknowledged by you or me ? lol ! Just food for thought. LoL ! Glad to see you enjoying the Forum, and offering your thought processess as well.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#28 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

You have explained that so clearly CG,I think that's so true.Well said.

#29 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

When I see faces they are often distorted and very quickly become skeletol or decaying/ghoulish in some way. Voices I rarely hear, although on occassion I have had a yes or no answer to something pushed resoundingly through my head, lol. I don't find the faces threatening, and I do find that if I am concentrating on something else while I fall asleep they are pushed out... my mind has to be clear and open to see them.

M

I wonder if this is because of the nature of your workings. You have recently put on here that you were working with the underworld and things associated with it. Maybe your mind is honed in on that and that is what you see because, to you, the path ways are open where they wouldn't be for those that don't work with the underworld or spirits. I work with spirits occasionally, but in general I don't really work with the underworld. I work more with this world, so what I see has more to do with this world than the others. I tend to think that you are "seeing" different things because your "eye' is pointing in a different direction. Also, from past experience, spirits don't always manifest visually and auditory, most of the time its either one or the other because of energy conservation, but people are more apt to use both.

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thinking on this further, I wonder if there are two different kinds of phenomena happening here. When I go to sleep, most of the times its movie clips of random people doing random things. It changes very quickly to different people and different events from different cultures around the world. Its almost like watching a tv and flipping the channels very fast, only getting a split second clip of the event but picking up every detail at the same time. Then, there are days that I only get the faces or the voices. To me these are spirits and I quickly pull my barriers up and they disappear. They haven't appeared in a long time because I put speciallized protection over my bed for this reason. The first kind seems like its just me "peering" at people's lives, the second its seems like things are comming to seek me out or just happened to be in the area. Thoughts?

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Yes, it mosst likely is the underworld and the ones associated with it... I have been getting much more into the under than the celestial of late, lol. Anyway, they're not threatening, thye simply are what they are and they float in and out of vision constantly shifting and changing behind my lids :-)

M

#32 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Great point, I'll wrap my brain around that for a bit! Thanks CG.

#33 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

I tend to have situational awareness regarding my waking hours as well as my sleeping hours. But that's just me, I'd rather be in control, than not.

Regards,
Gypsy

Hi, I also prefer to be in control, as otherwise, these apparitions can exhaust you and you are left drained. I used to have them more when I shared my sleeping space with someone who was himself quite interested in the spirit world. Almost as though they came to me as well as him. But after this happened once, and I realised it could be controlled, I did not allow it again. And, to be honest, I prefer to sleep alone! Posted Image
H.

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#34 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose experienced this. For me it's been very problematic since childhood, to the extent I've come to avoid sleep over the years. I've got precautions now, so less of the problem but still very puzzling. I see plenty of faces but few pleasant ones and those that are will usually morph into something nasty. They will show me very brutal, violent images that are best left to the imagination rather than I try describe them. I've also seen things I don't know what they were but I feel I probably shouldn't have been in the know about. I've always sort of seen it like going through a field of horrible things to get to where the 'good' and vital information is at. Once I'm in the dream they aren't an issue but when you're trying to get in it's another story. Any ideas? I feel like somedays I'm doing well and others I'm going through the wrong door.

Edit: Discussed in chatroom and problem sorted. Was going through the wrong 'door' during dreamwalking; I was on automatic. Been sleeping sound !

Edited by ettrick, 11 September 2012 - 06:38 AM.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#35 frauholda

frauholda

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it may just be brain functions? Like getting rid of informations, or shutting down? I don't want to sound offensive or demeaning to anyone, but the fact that it happens to so many people in such a similar manner got me thinking. Imho, things like "visions" or "encountering spirits" vary very much from person to person - some folks mostly hear them, others see or smell them - and here it's the same way for everyone. I also hear stuff, or see clips in my head when I'm really tired, or falling asleep but they carry no emotions. I just see them, and they make no sense. I've also realized the more tired I am - or the more I mess up with my sleeping pattern - the more often and clear they are..
Just my two cents.

#36 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it may just be brain functions? Like getting rid of informations, or shutting down? I don't want to sound offensive or demeaning to anyone, but the fact that it happens to so many people in such a similar manner got me thinking. Imho, things like "visions" or "encountering spirits" vary very much from person to person - some folks mostly hear them, others see or smell them - and here it's the same way for everyone. I also hear stuff, or see clips in my head when I'm really tired, or falling asleep but they carry no emotions. I just see them, and they make no sense. I've also realized the more tired I am - or the more I mess up with my sleeping pattern - the more often and clear they are..
Just my two cents.

Its happening to many of us on here in a similar manner because most of us are witches engaging in the spirit world. And often the messages do make sense. There is a palpable difference to the witch between the junk recycling dream, the visitation from a spirit, prophetic and astral dreams. Posted Image

Of course we consider that we might just be seeing things. Some of us wonder that everyday. Am I just mad? But that's the role society plays in poo pooing what we do. But I tell you what, when my friends and family need something, they come to me for help--many folks know there is more than what they are supposed to believe.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#37 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

Its happening to many of us on here in a similar manner because most of us are witches engaging in the spirit world. And often the messages do make sense. There is a palpable difference to the witch between the junk recycling dream, the visitation from a spirit, prophetic and astral dreams. Posted Image

Of course we consider that we might just be seeing things. Some of us wonder that everyday. Am I just mad? But that's the role society plays in poo pooing what we do. But I tell you what, when my friends and family need something, they come to me for help--many folks know there is more than what they are supposed to believe.

Voted this up.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#38 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Just my two cents.

I brought this to a GP a few years ago out of curiosity and he told me this was a normal complaint. He'd had people coming in complaining of hearing church bells, voices like radio stations and even the voices of dead relatives. He told these distressed persons, as he told me, that it was nothing more than the brain shifting into dream and displaying a mild auditory psychosis. Now, not meaning to open a can of worms here but pretty much all supernatural experiences could very well be put down to mild psychosis. It may well be psychosis or perhaps there is a thin line. Does it matter? When recording these 'dream farts' (as my GP put it so eloquently) I found warnings, advice etc. which would come to be useful days later. And yeah you need to sort of separate this from the 'I'm going into a dream' shifting and scrambling in the mind but more often than not you can tell the difference.

I'm of the personal opinion you don't need to be "special" to have a connection with the unseen; you just need to listen. Most have an experience but few go ahead and explore it.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#39 frauholda

frauholda

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for all opinions! This sure is a very interesting subject. I don't mean that all that we hear or see is just brain junk, or how ettrick wonderfuly put it, "brain farts" :cool_witch: I agree with sarasuperid that many of our visions could be considered madness, but it's up to our experiences with those visions to decide whether they are something more or not. I myself wondered many times if I was mad because of the things I heard/felt. But, probably because these specific occurences held no kind of message or wisdom for me, I'm sceptic about it. Maybe it's just a sign that I should pay more attention to them :rolleyes:

#40 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I brought this to a GP a few years ago out of curiosity and he told me this was a normal complaint. He'd had people coming in complaining of hearing church bells, voices like radio stations and even the voices of dead relatives. He told these distressed persons, as he told me, that it was nothing more than the brain shifting into dream and displaying a mild auditory psychosis. Now, not meaning to open a can of worms here but pretty much all supernatural experiences could very well be put down to mild psychosis. It may well be psychosis or perhaps there is a thin line. Does it matter? When recording these 'dream farts' (as my GP put it so eloquently) I found warnings, advice etc. which would come to be useful days later. And yeah you need to sort of separate this from the 'I'm going into a dream' shifting and scrambling in the mind but more often than not you can tell the difference.

I'm of the personal opinion you don't need to be "special" to have a connection with the unseen; you just need to listen. Most have an experience but few go ahead and explore it.

I am confused, ettrick. As a trained psychologist, I am aware of the natural tendencies of the human brain, including closed-eyed hallucinations, which is basically what is being described here. As a scientist, I could probably find at least 100 peer-reviewed research articles that prove that we are all absolutely insane. There is nothing special about any of us, except we share some form of mild psychosis. Perhaps, that is true, but . . .

We have all experienced things that are beyond coincidence, not so easily dismissed as to be just a "brain fart", connections to people and events, that have meaning to us and to our lives. I don't know if the OP saw faces that had any significance in a mundane or magical sense. I do know that I can see and hear places and conversations that are taking place elsewhere and though it isn't perfect, I have some measure of accuracy in regards to understanding the gist of the situation and the emotional context behind it.

Maybe I am crazy :witch_bounce: , but if that is the case, I think my "brain farts" smell pretty damn good.

Jevne