• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

I grabbed a toaster whilst it was plugged in and got blown across the room. That was a nice experience ;)

Going back to lightning though, I love it:) I find it facinating and really wish that we had more storms around here. I havent seen a good storm in such a long time :( But when ones happening, the energy in and around me is amazing. For me thats when my best magical work is done, which you can see is not very often lol :)

#22 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have always loved watching lightening and have tried to get to suitable watching locations to see it much more clearly and to get the full wide view of the storm...

Electric shocks are something I have had loads of... 1st was when I was about 7 and I dropped my mums food mixer into the sink (accidently) and picked it out.. Gave my a very heavy "hand shake"... Again when I was younger I did some really stupid things, deliberately shorting plugs, car batteries and such purely to view the blue/white light from the arc... I have had numerous shocks from CRT computer monitors, giving me back feed (stored charge within the monitor) into my hand, which often had the reaction of a dropped monitor...

#23 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Do you remeber the old TVs? I loved rubbing my hand all over them and feeling the static energy.

For me thats when my best magical work is done, which you can see is not very often lol :)

Dawn, have you thought about calling on the energy or spirit of storms to aid you with your work?

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#24 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Do you remeber the old TVs? I loved rubbing my hand all over them and feeling the static energy.

That brings back memories, the springy fuzzy cushion of static on our old telly was lovely. I'd rub my hand all over the screen last thing at night then without thinking I'd earth myself on the metal door handle which made me jump.

My partner tends to use fabric softener when washing so that may account for me not getting as many shocks (except for shopping trollies still) but I sometimes feel aprehensive when filling up at the petrol station as I have a fear of sparking near the petrol cap, probably stupid I know as I expect all petrol pumps will be earthed. I didn't know fabric softener could stop static shocks before reading it here so I thank you for that info Kurt.

Another thing I remember from years ago (not really noticed nowadays but will have see if I can still do it) is when travelling under high voltage electricity pylons, I can feel the energy they give off - even if I was in a car with my eyes closed I could tell when passing under them. I would get a feeling of pressure round my head and a fuzzy headachy feeling when directly underneath the cables. No wonder there is a link to high voltage pylons and leukaemia etc.

#25 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

thanks Kurt, will try this, especially the car key thing.

a quick update on the car key earth thing - I am remembering about this, but only after I have exited the car and, received another big shock - must remember to do this before I get out!!! arrrgh!!!!!! ;) luckily it rained hard last night, so fingers crossed I will be safe for a while!

#26 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

This is really interesting. I don't wear a watch because I stop them. I also get "shocked", constantly, during the cool, dry months of the year-particularly upon exiting a vehicle...drives me nuts! Does anyone know what causes the issue with wristwatches?

I have no problem with battery watches but have wierd stuff happen to every wind up watch I've ever owned, normally they speed up or stop altogether. As to shocks to pass on my static to all my friends :vhappywitch: .

#27 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

Good day, all.

a quick update on the car key earth thing - I am remembering about this, but only after I have exited the car and, received another big shock - must remember to do this before I get out!!! arrrgh!!!!!! ;) luckily it rained hard last night, so fingers crossed I will be safe for a while!

Hmmm - I drive an SUV, so it's easier to get out without touching anything until I can ground via the key. It seems that the sliding action of your posterior and back on the seat is what actually generates the static charge. My SUV is large enough that I can sort of slide out without touching anything metal and then ground using the key, but with a car I'll often open the door slightly, place one hand on the top of the door in contact with the steel, and then begin to get out, discharging the static as I generate it. I hope this makes sense and helps you!

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#28 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

I don't mind getting static shocks, it keeps me alert and snaps away any lathargic feelings I have. If I get shocked whilst getting out of the car and go straight into the supermarket, I get constant shocks from the shopping trolley. There is also a compond of electricity pylons next to the supermarket I use.

Anita.

#29 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

A long time ago, one of my sons, he was about 12-13 at the time. I was doing dishes, and I enlisted him to fill up the horse trough. I had an electric fence that pulsated every 3 minutes or so. I was watching this from the window, he was the type of kid, that needed companionship in everything he'd do. Along came one of the cats, she's giving him leg rubs and such, he bends over and picks her up, she's in heaven, he's daydreaming with the mundane task, he's got water from the hose flowing. Somewhere in that daydream, he got too close to the wire, it's pulsed. Puss Kitty was jolted, and ran up his chest and over his face so fast, she left marks. The hose escaped from his hands, and proceeded to gyrate and flail in a snake dance and totally soaked him. Dazed and confused this boy of mine was. Puss Kitty spent the rest of the afternoon, crouched under the horse trailer. He came running into the house, bloody, and needing medical attention and not to mention consolement. I nursed his wounds, yet I couldn't help myself, I was holding in the laughter of the whole episode. The transferance of the electricty from his body to the cat's, he did not feel, but the cat was throughly insulted.
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#30 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

I found this interesting.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, US Park Ranger Roy "Dooms" Sullivan has the dubious distinction of being the most lightning-struck person ever recorded. Between 1942 and his death (by his own hand) in 1983, Roy Sullivan was struck by lightning seven times. The first lightning strike shot through Sullivan's leg and knocked his big toenail off. In 1969, a second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious. Another strike just a year later, left his shoulder seared. In 1972 his hair was set on fire and Roy had to dump a bucket of water over his head to cool off. In 1973, another bolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, set his hair on fire again, threw him out of his truck and knocked his left shoe off. A sixth strike in 1976 left him with an injured ankle. The last lightning bolt to hit Roy Sullivan sent him to the hospital with chest and stomach burns in 1977.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Roy_Sullivan

#31 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

I found this interesting.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, US Park Ranger Roy "Dooms" Sullivan has the dubious distinction of being the most lightning-struck person ever recorded. Between 1942 and his death (by his own hand) in 1983, Roy Sullivan was struck by lightning seven times. The first lightning strike shot through Sullivan's leg and knocked his big toenail off. In 1969, a second strike burned off his eyebrows and knocked him unconscious. Another strike just a year later, left his shoulder seared. In 1972 his hair was set on fire and Roy had to dump a bucket of water over his head to cool off. In 1973, another bolt ripped through his hat and hit him on the head, set his hair on fire again, threw him out of his truck and knocked his left shoe off. A sixth strike in 1976 left him with an injured ankle. The last lightning bolt to hit Roy Sullivan sent him to the hospital with chest and stomach burns in 1977.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Roy_Sullivan

That's wild. I just read some more about him, apparently his wife was struck once too. He was with her at the time but wasn't hit. How odd...

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#32 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

That's wild. I just read some more about him, apparently his wife was struck once too. He was with her at the time but wasn't hit. How odd...

The poor bugger lost his friends and such because they were to afraid to be around him.

#33 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

[quote name='Aloe' timestamp='1304613408' post='98670']
That's wild. I just read some more about him, apparently his wife was struck once too. He was with her at the time but wasn't hit. How odd... Indeed.
[/quote]

[quote name='Magdalena' timestamp='1304613536' post='98671']
The poor bugger lost his friends and such because they were to afraid to be around him. I'm sorry Anita, but I find this amusing not that it had anything to do with his personality, that he lost friends, but due to his overly electric personality.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#34 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

I'm sorry Anita, but I find this amusing not that it had anything to do with his personality, that he lost friends, but due to his overly electric personality.

Regards,
Gypsy

Lol CG. I would have found them in the storms and tied myself to them just for fun lol.

#35 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Lol CG. I would have found them in the storms and tied myself to them just for fun lol.

lol ! Well some of my friends, would take a dim view (electrically speaking ) of antics like that, ropes, ties, ribbons, leather straps......:rolleyes_witch: I guess it's all in the way one would preceive the antic.................. just estimating, Anita :yes:

xo,
Gypsy

#36 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

lol ! Well some of my friends, would take a dim view (electrically speaking ) of antics like that, ropes, ties, ribbons, leather straps......:rolleyes_witch: I guess it's all in the way one would preceive the antic.................. just estimating, Anita :yes:

xo,
Gypsy

Now now CG, no corrupting my mind Lol ;) I was just meaning to share an electrifying experience. :D

Back to the lightning topic, I read a book many years ago that I found very interesting, it was about a man that was sruck by lightning, he died and came back to life.

On just doing a search on said book I have read that it was somewhat a stretched truth. It was Dannion Brinkley that was struck while on the telephone.

#37 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I got shocked recently from a forklift battery.  I drive forklift where I work and I was unplugging the battery so I could charge it and I got a nasty shock from it that went up my whole arm.  It tingled for about and hour and I had no strength in that arm. These batteries are nothing to mess with as they are half the size I am and to plug it in incorrectly can blow out the whole side of the building. I was very lucky that day. The only thing I can guess is that the rubber was damaged and an exposed part of the wire hit my gold wedding ring, good thing it was off. 

#38 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Ouch Whiterose! Once knew a bloke who was so sensitive to electricity he couldn't even touch a car battery. Glad you're OK.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#39 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

working with computers and building them from the ground up sometimes gets me in contact with currents you don't really want to touch. The voltage is not the problem - its the amperage and wattage that does the damage! I've been shocked and sometimes it hurts, but not so bad as to lay me out. I've been burned in a house fire to the point where I had to have my right-hand re-built in hospital from the muscle up, replacing damaged muscle from my upper thigh and  backside with a split graft and skin from my right forearm. Unless you look hard you can't tell I've burned my hand - unless you see a part of my bare forearm where you will see an oblong white area against the tanned part.. The pain has long gone but the first ten days were the worst in my life! If you've hever had a cigarette burn you will know what I am talking about when its magnified some five hundred times and is there when you want to sleep, eat, everything for ten long days. You never ever want to get burned again - and the thought of being burned alive as a Witch came back to me solidly when it happened. It was also quite bad for my daughter, Rowena, because she saw the deep-fat fryer explode over my hand and my skin dripping off like fat. Do Take Care! foxman

#40 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Two years ago my heart developed an irregular rhythm and the "fix" was to stop it and re-start it with those heart paddles, refribberators, I call 'em. Zapping's not pretty, and they had to zap me twice. By the burns on my chest, it was a good jolt.

Before that, I had been nearly struck by lightening twice in my life, about 10 years apart; the 1st time temporarily blinded me for 1/2 hour. Both times I went on with my business with no lasting effects, besides the little hairs on my arms standing up for days afterwards. But a heart zap from a mechanical zapper left me flat. I had no physical endurance for a couple of weeks.

Give me good clean lightening any day. Maybe the Thunder God is perfecting his aim...or just teasing.