- - - - -

Electricity and lightning

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hi folks, just wondering about this one after seeing something posted the other day - can't search very well as Internet connectivity is low on my phone (no broadband and live on the outskirts of a rural village)

When I was younger (early teens) I had an old radio that had a mains lead, the end of which was broken so the terminals were showing. One night while half asleep I accidentally pulled the cable out and without thinking just grabbed the end - all I got was a bit of a jump which woke me up. The next day being young and stupid I decided to see what would happen if I arced it against a metal brake block off a push-bike. A blinding flash and a melted metal block holder plus a black plug told me I'd been lucky the night before..
Some years later whilst working on a building site during a heavy thunderstorm (lightning struck a telegraph pole about 200 yards away from us) I was working inside a barn putting Kingspan in the ceiling (sides of building were open as no windows were as yet fitted). So here's me stood there on scaffold when a huge blue flash shot across the Kingspan and arced straight into my hand - it tingled for a while and didn't bother me in the slightest. A few other lads asked me if I was ok as they looks shocked at what they saw.
Not long ago I was overboarding and skimming a ceiling, we always remove the light fittings (switching off at the wall usually suffices when there's just one cable with no permanent live). Anyway, when we finished some numpty (my work mate) must have leant against the switch because when I refitted the light I got a shock off the live - nothing much, just made my hand twitch.

Can anyone tell me if this is significant in any way with trad-craft or is it just one of those things? Or have I just been lucky and not frazzled myself :lol:

Kind regards

#2 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi Gramayr,

I can't speak for trad craft as I'm far too new but I can speak of my experiences with electricity. As a teen, I received a shock in my hand as well, when pulling a plug out of the wall. It made a painful tingling feeling and left a small bruise on my palm, otherwise nothing. As a child, I would always rush outside to watch an electical storm as thunder and lightening never scared me. After I was forbidden to do this, I would plaster myself to the window. I've alwyas known electricity will never harm me, I feel an empathy with this particular energy. Countless times I will touch a light switch while soaking wet and nothing happens. I've seen powerpoints arc when I've removed plugs and felt nothing. It scares a few but doesn't bother me. Still, I higly respect electricity and never forget what it can do.

Have you thought about researching it and possibly working with it? Some people have a connection to various elements, some to weather and some of us to electricity. If it helps, I see electricity from the mains as a tame version of lightening - probably because of a certain man and his kite.

Abraxia.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#3 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi Abraxia,
Thanks for your reply.
I love thunderstorms, I'd rush to my parents atic window to watch them - the closer the lightning the better.
The smell they leave is so refreshing.
Being in the building trade I've always had a healthy respect for electricity.

One thing that does bug me though is I very often arc static onto shopping trollies while at the supermarket so much so I have to hold or make constant contact with the metal part of the trollies (I'll sometimes tap my partner and make her jump :lol:)

Think I may have to spend some time on google to research it :)

#4 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:01 AM

don't get me started on static! I get every time I'm in our car, unless I sit rock still. I also have trouble with watches and I've even had mobile phones commit suicide on me lol.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#5 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

..... I also have trouble with watches and I've even had mobile phones commit suicide on me lol.

I have this problem as well, especially with watches. The longer I wear them the faster they speed up. I also have the problem with other devices, but I've learned to control it a bit and do things like tune in a signal. Maybe part of the reason I always have cell reception when no body else does. ?Have even picked up other peoples phones and watched them jump from no signal to a couple bars.

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Maybe part of the reason I always have cell reception when no body else does. Have even picked up other peoples phones and watched them jump from no signal to a couple bars.

I need you to move in with me. We have no cell service at the house - we're on the other side of the mountain from the tower and have a steel roof. Despite the VM message telling folks this, they STILL leave messages that I get anywhere from a day to a week later when I get in range of the tower.

I kill batteries. Watch batteries, cell phone batteries, computer batteries, you name it. Even my car battery (which should be well shielded from me). If it has a battery, it's guaranteed to die in less than half the time it's supposed to if it's around me.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

I have this problem as well, especially with watches. The longer I wear them the faster they speed up. I also have the problem with other devices, but I've learned to control it a bit and do things like tune in a signal. Maybe part of the reason I always have cell reception when no body else does. ?Have even picked up other peoples phones and watched them jump from no signal to a couple bars.

Mentioning phones (landlines in this case) has reminded me of something that has happened to me on several occasions, I've stopped and looked at a phone moments before it's rung. On one occasion I thought of a friend, picked up the phone and she was on the other end - she'd
rung me and I'd picked it up before it had rung at my end. This still happens every now and again where I'll look at a phone and know it's about to ring.

#8 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, I'm an electric appliance jinx. Sewing machines total themselves if I approach. My dad even used to say he hated me being in the car passenger seat because all the traffic lights stuck on red.

And just to make you laugh, on the subject of electricity...I used to have Irritable Bowel Syndrome that even the most drastic medical intervention couldn't solve - until a loose wire on the washing machine threw me across the kitchen and I was fine after that!

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#9 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:00 AM

As a child I would "talk" to traffic lights to make them change to green. Everyone thought I had an active imagination, but I felt different when connecting with them. I still do it occasionally.

#10 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

This is really interesting. I don't wear a watch because I stop them. I also get "shocked", constantly, during the cool, dry months of the year-particularly upon exiting a vehicle...drives me nuts! Does anyone know what causes the issue with wristwatches?

#11 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

This is really interesting. I don't wear a watch because I stop them. I also get "shocked", constantly, during the cool, dry months of the year-particularly upon exiting a vehicle...drives me nuts! Does anyone know what causes the issue with wristwatches?

From a scientific view microchips don't like static - you have to wear a grounding strap when working with the.
Interesting if this is only with battery watches or is it with windup ones as well?

#12 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

From a scientific view microchips don't like static - you have to wear a grounding strap when working with the.
Interesting if this is only with battery watches or is it with windup ones as well?

I've never owned a wind-up, so my experience has only been with battery-operated watches.

#13 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

I kill batteries. Watch batteries, cell phone batteries, computer batteries, you name it. Even my car battery (which should be well shielded from me). If it has a battery, it's guaranteed to die in less than half the time it's supposed to if it's around me.

I have no idea if I have any affect with electricity, I get the odd static shock but generally I'm fine. I don't wear a watch, but I do seem to have ok phone reception and always have enough charge in my phone battery to make an impromptu phone call or send that important text.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#14 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

I got a bad shock as a child from a tall brass lamp that had some faulty wiring. My Dad had to pull me off the lamp because when I touched it my hand stuck to it and my body was vibrating. That was about 25 years ago, don't know that it affects anything today, but like others have said, I do tend to kill electronics easily.

In fact, my husband told me no more foreign cars because the electronic parts are so much more expensive to replace. :( Within 6 months of having my Audi, 4 electronic parts had died a mysterious death and the ECM was starting to act funny, it would die, then come back to life over and over. So these days I drive a 65 Ford pretty much everywhere. It's old enough to have more mechanics and less electronics so we get along ok. :crossfingers:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#15 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

amazing timing with this post - I have been spending the last few days getting huge shocks from the cars, anything metal infact - something thats always happened to me for years. I have done the 'pass the electric shock thing' on to my sister, and she jumped at the loud crack it made.

I don't wear a watch, as it gets in the way when I draw, but I do know that things with batteries tend to die pretty quickly with me, hadnt made this connection though.

its adds a whole new meaning to 'touching wood', I always try to do this before I press lift buttons, open metal cupboard, hold shopping trolleys - the list is endless!

I'm sure if this happens to you, you probably also experience the visable sparks when you take off a jumper at the end of the day - nice!

would love it if someone can help with suggestions to earth this!:chakrahearts:

#16 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Good day, all.

amazing timing with this post - I have been spending the last few days getting huge shocks from the cars, anything metal infact - something thats always happened to me for years. I have done the 'pass the electric shock thing' on to my sister, and she jumped at the loud crack it made.

would love it if someone can help with suggestions to earth this!:chakrahearts:

I have this kind of experience a good deal of the time, especially during winter when the dry air makes it more likely to amass static. Getting out of vehicles I always keep the keys in my hand and touch the door frame with the key before touching it with my hand to close it - it allows the static to discharge to the vehicle frame and I feel almost nothing. I have been able to generate bright blue sparks in excess of an inch - glad it was done with the key rather than with my hand!

Granted that it is a mundane fix, but try this: add a couple of capfuls of fabric softener (Downy, etc.) to a spray bottle and fill with water. Lightly mist fabrics (sofa, car seats, etc.) and allow to dry. A treatment will generally last a week or two, depending on relative humidity. I'd also recommend adding fabric softener to your laundry (dryer sheets do not count) during the wash cycle to prevent your clothing from drying out so much.

The above suggestions will cut down your discomfort a lot - anything further you'll probably need something less mundane to deal with. :rolleyes_witch: :witchbroom: Good luck!

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#17 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

I should've guessed that after posting I'd jinx things, now I'm getting more static shocks!

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#18 Guest_Gramayr_*

Guest_Gramayr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

I should've guessed that after posting I'd jinx things, now I'm getting more static shocks!

..and I've just had to plug my phone in to charge as the battery died on me an hour ago - I only took it off the charger at 7am this morning :( usually lasts till bedtime.

#19 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

I carry a lot of static in my body, which effects electrical equipment in my home. It seems to intensify around and on the full moon. Fork lightening missed me by a fraction when I was 16, it bounced off the road, it practically stood in front of me, I'm not afraid of lightening, I'm fascinated by it, I have watched documentaries about it and read books on it also, many years ago.

I also watched a documentary once about when the body spontaneously combusts and they could not explain a lot of things about this, I was always left with a nagging thought in my mind whether a build up of static in the body could have any connection, where it builds up and is not released. This is only a thought in my head not a fact so don't panic lol.

I was electrocuted when I was in my 20's from a plug, it travelled up my arm and I could not let go of the plug, then suddenly it just released me.

Anita.

#20 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Good day, all.

I have this kind of experience a good deal of the time, especially during winter when the dry air makes it more likely to amass static. Getting out of vehicles I always keep the keys in my hand and touch the door frame with the key before touching it with my hand to close it - it allows the static to discharge to the vehicle frame and I feel almost nothing. I have been able to generate bright blue sparks in excess of an inch - glad it was done with the key rather than with my hand!

Granted that it is a mundane fix, but try this: add a couple of capfuls of fabric softener (Downy, etc.) to a spray bottle and fill with water. Lightly mist fabrics (sofa, car seats, etc.) and allow to dry. A treatment will generally last a week or two, depending on relative humidity. I'd also recommend adding fabric softener to your laundry (dryer sheets do not count) during the wash cycle to prevent your clothing from drying out so much.

The above suggestions will cut down your discomfort a lot - anything further you'll probably need something less mundane to deal with. :rolleyes_witch: :witchbroom: Good luck!

Kind regards,

Kurt

thanks Kurt, will try this, especially the car key thing.

I got an electric shock of a faulty sandwich toaster as a kid - I was twiddling with the loose wire trying to get the red light to come on - seems alot of us have been 'shocked' in one way or another! us humans are bad for doing stuff that aint good for us!