Odd Bird

Tana

Its stopped now, but for a month I had a bird tapping on the window of the upstairs landing on our house. It would start with daylight and go on the whole day. A quite frantic flying into the window and tapping it with its beak. When anyone walked past the window it would fly off then come back a few seconds later. If you walked past outside on the ground floor, it took no notice. It was the most curious bird behaviour I have ever observed but also the most distressing.

Has anyone had a similar experience or idea of what could have prompted the bird's behaviour?

Its stopped now, but for a month I had a bird tapping on the window of the upstairs landing on our house. It would start with daylight and go on the whole day. A quite frantic flying into the window and tapping it with its beak. When anyone walked past the window it would fly off then come back a few seconds later. If you walked past outside on the ground floor, it took no notice. It was the most curious bird behaviour I have ever observed but also the most distressing.

Has anyone had a similar experience or idea of what could have prompted the bird's behaviour?

I've heard of this Tana, and read about it in Birds and Blooms Magazine. The bird is seeing it's reflection in your window pane, and believes another bird is in it's territory. This mostly happens with male birds, especially during spring migration and such. This bird you have has set up residential territory in your backyard somewhere, and believes he's king of the yard.

Regards,

Gypsy

I've heard of this Tana, and read about it in Birds and Blooms Magazine. The bird is seeing it's reflection in your window pane, and believes another bird is in it's territory. This mostly happens with male birds, especially during spring migration and such. This bird you have has set up residential territory in your backyard somewhere, and believes he's king of the yard.

Regards,

Gypsy

Yes, I was going to post the same response essentially. This is pretty much what I guessed it as, when I read Tana's post. Many different types of male songbirds that tend to inhabit the more urban, and suburban areas that we share with them tend to exhibit this activity, from what I've noticed over the years, regardless of region. You'd think by now, they'd figure it out, but they continue to pass it on...LOL...

You'd think by now, they'd figure it out, but they continue to pass it on...LOL...

Why should they " figure it out "... they are predisposed to do what is in their nature to do so. Why shouldn't they pass it on.. it's inherited characteristics or feature of that properties of that male bird.

Regards,

Gypsy

I have seen birds and other animals going nuts over their reflections and trying to get at the thing contained in them (this includes my kids as babies trying to play with the other baby in the mirror)

unless its in danger of crashing directly into the window its just something birds do, birds can be just nuts at this time of year trying to get their mates attention.

He probably enjoys trying to beat off the competition to impress the missus! try sticking a toy parrot in the window to really confuse him! LOL!

I had the same thing happen with a male hummingbird. My Headboard has big mirror on it and faces a bay window, that bird just fluttered in front of the window for weeks and weeks, getting the dog all fired up! Finally he moved on.

We have birds fly at warp speed into my living room window pretty regularly, sometimes they hit so hard I can't believe the window didn't break!

He probably enjoys trying to beat off the competition to impress the missus! try sticking a toy parrot in the window to really confuse him! LOL!

Now THAT would be entertainment! LOL...

CelticGypsy, it was a bad attempt at a joke, nothing more. I think you took my post a bit TOO literal, is all. ;)

Now THAT would be entertainment! LOL...

CelticGypsy, it was a bad attempt at a joke, nothing more. I think you took my post a bit TOO literal, is all. ;)

Oh perhaps Lady Owl, yet I would like you to answer Jevne's polite question on the Genesis Undertow post as I can't find or her about the story, that you posted to the thread. Alas and alak all J and I get is a song. Would you please ? Thank you so very much. We must be missing something.:blush:

Regards,

Gypsy

I've heard females will do this too, if she can see through the window and the area looks nice and cozy for a nest. You can hang something in the window (suncatcher, peelable window stickers, etc.) to keep her from thinking he/she can get through and/or fight themselves. lol I'm glad they've given up either way - sounds frustrating for both of you!

Oh perhaps Lady Owl, yet I would like you to answer Jevne's polite question on the Genesis Undertow post as I can't find or her about the story, that you posted to the thread. Alas and alak all J and I get is a song. Would you please ? Thank you so very much. We must be missing something.:blush:

Regards,

Gypsy

I don't think she will be able to Gypsy as that thread is in the private forum and Lady Owl is a seeker. We are not sure why she could post there in the first place and think it was probably a computer blip... Drog is investigating!

Archived