Photo
- - - - -

An Overview of Traditions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 LadyOwl

LadyOwl

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Home Circle

I thought I would share this wonderful site here, as I have found it invaluble for it's articles, essays, and thoughts of the general traditional craft community of Home Circle. The "Articles and Essays" link is especially of good interest to many here, I hope. Myself, I am from the "Traditional Pictish" line, and found it quite fascinating to have found it here, as it is reletively quite secretive, and not widely known outside of the more mainstream Anderson Feri line.

LadyOwl

Edited by LadyOwl, 09 April 2011 - 11:27 PM.

Good News: There's always a light at the end of the tunnel.
Bad News: Most of the time, it's a train...

#2 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Home Circle

I thought I would share this wonderful site here, as I have found it invaluble for it's articles, essays, and thoughts of the general traditional craft community of Home Circle. The "Articles and Essays" link is especially of good interest to many here, I hope. Myself, I am from the "Traditional Pictish" line, and found it quite fascinating to have found it here, as it is reletively quite secretive, and not widely known outside of the more mainstream Anderson Feri line.

LadyOwl

Hi LadyOwl,

going to have a proper read through this tonight, I had a quick scan over - lots of references to Wicca and religion in this - just wanted to check, is this site mainly leaning towards Wicca?

will give it a chance and read once I get in tonight though! :chakrahearts:

#3 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi LadyOwl,

going to have a proper read through this tonight, I had a quick scan over - lots of references to Wicca and religion in this - just wanted to check, is this site mainly leaning towards Wicca?

It says that they're a blended traditon, with a "heritage from a non-BTW British-origin Witchcraft Tradition, as well as from British Traditional Wicca." Not entirely sure what that means, I'll let you work it out lol

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#4 LadyOwl

LadyOwl

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hi LadyOwl,

Ahh, you do raise a good point. Although from what I remember, I believe that Home Circle themselves, much like the Reclaiming Collective that was more or less founded upon by Miriam Simos, aka Starhawk in the Bay Area of San Fransico, are not Wiccan, per say, but do like to hold a fairly nuetral stance. It has been some time since I visited the homepage, I'll have a look myself! In either case, I highly recommend the "Articles and Essays" section, where you will find "Overview of Traditions", and some articles on Secrecy I found very good reading, along with the Degrees that are used in both Wiccan and Traditional covens.

#5 LadyOwl

LadyOwl

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Home Circle is a recognized church that serves as a private legal entity and ordaining body for our membership, as well as

• providing resources and a contact point for people seeking to learn more about Traditional Initatory Craft and Wicca
  • promoting study and research in fields related to our heritage and practices while maintaining the continuance of our Craft
  • providing a communications and mutual aid network among our membership and sincere qualified Seekers
As stated verbatim, from Home Circle, with permission to copy, as long as nothing is left out and/or modified.

*Mod Alert*

I am not certain if this is an infraction of the copyright rules here. If so, my apologies, and I shall promptly remove it upon request, as is your privilege as well.

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

In either case, I highly recommend the "Articles and Essays" section, where you will find "Overview of Traditions", and some articles on Secrecy I found very good reading, along with the Degrees that are used in both Wiccan and Traditional covens.

There are some traditional forms of craft that work with mundane initiations (as diferentiated (sp) from initiations by sirit/gods) and they are very valid traditions (CoTC and Cultis Sabbati being two of them). I believe, though, that most on here are solitary and/or hereditary traditionalists and do not work in a coven structure. As such, the link may (may being the key word there, lol)open up a bit of a can of worms due to the coven/degree/initiation association with Wicca. Wicca is also a valid path although their beliefs do differ from the beliefs of most/many traditionals. I'm sure you know all that, lol, but I just wanted to point it out as the link has strong Wiccan overtones and therefore some may not necessarily feel comfortable with the information. :-)

M

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

As such, the link may (may being the key word there, lol)open up a bit of a can of worms due to the coven/degree/initiation association with Wicca. Wicca is also a valid path although their beliefs do differ from the beliefs of most/many traditionals. I'm sure you know all that, lol, but I just wanted to point it out as the link has strong Wiccan overtones and therefore some may not necessarily feel comfortable with the information. :-)

M

No shit, ya think?!?!?:rolleyes_witch: I just glanced through it, all sections had to floss my teeth, due to the fluff.
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

No shit, ya think?!?!?:rolleyes_witch: I just glanced through it, all sections had to floss my teeth, due to the fluff.
Regards,
Gypsy

Hey - I'm being polite, lol. But seriously, being new to the forum LO may not realize that the link might bring up some strong feelings in some people and I didn't want the thread to turn into a basher, which I'm sure LO wouldn't want either and I'm sure she was being nice and posting something that might be helpful to some people, and I didn't want to discourage LO from posting as it's nice to see some new faces on here :-) LO, I think this has been brought up in other threads, but as I suck with computer stuff (including searches) I can't tell you the names of them. I've even searched by exact title and still not come up with the thread. Computers and cell phones hate me, lol.

M

#9 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hey - I'm being polite, lol. But seriously, being new to the forum LO may not realize that the link might bring up some strong feelings in some people and I didn't want the thread to turn into a basher, which I'm sure LO wouldn't want either and I'm sure she was being nice and posting something that might be helpful to some people, and I didn't want to discourage LO from posting as it's nice to see some new faces on here :-) LO, I think this has been brought up in other threads, but as I suck with computer stuff (including searches) I can't tell you the names of them. I've even searched by exact title and still not come up with the thread. Computers and cell phones hate me, lol.

M

I'm crushed that you would think I'm not as polite as you..... ROTFLMAO ! It is nice to see new faces, I agree. Regards to LO posting, I'm all for it. I can't tell you enough how many times I've gone back to the Forum Home pages and read and re-read posts that kept me in check as to the essence of this Forum. Given some of the ample meaty diverse topics we have here, I accept the individualism of all. Including Witches that don't have stoves. :roflhard:

Warm Regards
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

Ahh, you do raise a good point. Although from what I remember, I believe that Home Circle themselves, much like the Reclaiming Collective that was more or less founded upon by Miriam Simos, aka Starhawk in the Bay Area of San Fransico, are not Wiccan, per say, but do like to hold a fairly nuetral stance. It has been some time since I visited the homepage, I'll have a look myself! In either case, I highly recommend the "Articles and Essays" section, where you will find "Overview of Traditions", and some articles on Secrecy I found very good reading, along with the Degrees that are used in both Wiccan and Traditional covens.

Starhawk isn't wiccan???? Since when? She may be a lovely person. I don't know her, but I have read her. She's so wiccan, she probably shits jelly beans. Of course, that is just this TRAD's opinion. Not everyone shares my perspective, but I feel the information presented in the articles or books recommended on the site would only serve to confuse those who are new to TW. There are definite wiccan under and overtones. I'm not bashing. I'm simply saying . . . TW is not a wiccan site.

Jevne

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

I can't tell you enough how many times I've gone back to the Forum Home pages and read and re-read posts that kept me in check as to the essence of this Forum. Warm Regards Gypsy

CG,

Damn, you are good. Subtle, yet makes the point.

J

#12 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

okay, so I am back home now!

The site would be really confusing for anyone new to TW who is trying to unravel it from all the Wicca stuff.
The lengthy text in areas on Wicca, and also some of the book recommendations about Wicca are going to confuse some of the newbies! (unless they read all the stuff on the members read first page first!)

I am afraid it was enough to put me off reading further into the site - so little time, so much else to do!

I know Lady Owl has put on her application form that she wants to get more into the TW side of things and not Wicca, so maybe after a good scoot around on here, she might have other material which she thinks would suit many of us better!

:chakrahearts:

#13 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi Lady Owl
It is OK to post material from other sites as long as you have their webmaster's permission and post a very clear link to their site.

The Home Circle site is mostly Wiccan in content. I think the term 'British Traditional Witchcraft' may cause some confusion. This is usually used for the original coven lines from Gardner and some from Alex Saunders, they are usually initiatory in nature. None the less they are still Wiccan. I don't think the members here will find much to interest them on this site.

However, I applaud your motivation in sharing and getting to know people on this site Lady Owl, and I hope this doesn't put you off posting.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.