Photo
- - - - -

New runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vixen

Vixen

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

I started using runes around about New Year and I think Ihave finally found a type of divination that works for me!! The only problemwas the set I am using at the moment is bought and just a bit boring. They areclear quarts tumble stones, they all look the same and I find them very impersonal.So I have decided to make my own.

I am going to make two sets one out of sea glass, this onewill be for doing readings for others and travailing (in caste I lose or forgetit mine is still safe at home)

And one out of bits and bobs a picked up last summer, likeslate, shells and a small hag stone etc. This one will be for personal use.

Now to the point of this post, I’m not sure whichrunes to use. So far I have been using elder futhark runes but was wondering ifanyone has used others, why they chose them.

Vixen

(I was going to put the pictures in the post but i couldn't get it to work so i have attached a couple below)

Attached Files

Edited by Vixen, 04 April 2011 - 04:04 PM.

Sometimes we cannot have to keep

Many things we can never take home

Enjoy that which is offered

And know it is

As it should be

Accept.

Anji Alexander

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Oh my Vixen, both of your unfinished runes have beautiful properties. Thank you for the photos too, it puts tangibility to my thought process. I need pictures ! lol. I'm not well versed in runes, however I've always been a bit drawn to them. If your not pleased with the clear quartz tumbled stones, what is the draw for you to the sea glass, is it something deeper ? Just from what I know, which is limited, and I could use correction also, most runes I've seen, have organic properties attached to them. ie: wood, stone, metal... personally I value " tree wood " and lean in the creation of those for myself. Regarding your bits and bob's collected, absolutely stunning, I could definately see this as a personal use, as still they appear organic too, and could offer much in the individual meaning you would put on/to them. I'll be keeping an eye on your post, to see what you decide, as ultimately it's your decision to make, the one that will resonate with you personally.
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Vixen

Vixen

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thank you Gypsy I'm glad you like them.Posted Image
To answer your first question about why I like the glass so much, its because of the way it is made. The glass is slightly curved from bottles that have been left on the beach by people who ether forgot or just can't be bothered to put them in the bin, these are swallowed by the waves as the tide comes in smashed and the pieces tumbled and smooth amongst the sand. When they find there way back on to the beach as these beautiful glass pebbles. when i was there last year there was a girl i think she must have been about 16-17 making jewelery out for the shells and glass they were gorgeous but i hadn't brought any money Posted Image

Originally i wanted wood runes, hawthorn but i had know where to get it from there if a nature reserve but they are strict about what you can take and i don't think they want me hacking at their trees. I'm still hoping.

Vixen

And know it is

As it should be

Accept.

Anji Alexander

#4 Vixen

Vixen

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

WOW i just tried opening the pic they are ... well a bit big i'll resize they and repost them tomorrow

oops sorry

Vixen

And know it is

As it should be

Accept.

Anji Alexander

#5 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

While I don't necessarily use the runes for divination (I'm not opposed to it, and I am familiar with their divination properties) I started with the Elder Futhark and have since moved into working with the Anglo-Saxon Futharc, these to me seem to feel a little more complete and draw on energies which tend to be a bit more inverted and balanced in terms of Light/Dark. Have a look and see what you feel - neither one is better or worse, just different. They have a different historical basis and different forms via the Rune Poems.

In my personal work I found I utilized the Anglo runes with much more effectiveness then when I was utilizing the Elder. I have also incorporated using the Younger Futharc as well to great success.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#6 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

I started using runes around about New Year and I think Ihave finally found a type of divination that works for me!! The only problemwas the set I am using at the moment is bought and just a bit boring. They areclear quarts tumble stones, they all look the same and I find them very impersonal.So I have decided to make my own.

I am going to make two sets one out of sea glass, this onewill be for doing readings for others and travailing (in caste I lose or forgetit mine is still safe at home)

And one out of bits and bobs a picked up last summer, likeslate, shells and a small hag stone etc. This one will be for personal use.

Now to the point of this post, I’m not sure whichrunes to use. So far I have been using elder futhark runes but was wondering ifanyone has used others, why they chose them.

Vixen

(I was going to put the pictures in the post but i couldn't get it to work so i have attached a couple below)

What a great idea to use sea glass! I also love your collection of bits'n'bobs! I am looking forward to seeing their progression.

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#7 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

I live a few minutes away from a pebble beach. I've always thought it a great place to find suitable, natural Rune pebbles. There's a local law against stealing pebbles - even one - as souvenirs. I reckon I'd step up off the beach with my bag full of pebbles and there'd be flashing lights and sirens and the helicopter police would shine a big light on me then half a dozen burly cops would descend with truncheons and handcuffs.
Maybe I'll wait a bit.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#8 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

I live a few minutes away from a pebble beach. I've always thought it a great place to find suitable, natural Rune pebbles. There's a local law against stealing pebbles - even one - as souvenirs. I reckon I'd step up off the beach with my bag full of pebbles and there'd be flashing lights and sirens and the helicopter police would shine a big light on me then half a dozen burly cops would descend with truncheons and handcuffs.
Maybe I'll wait a bit.

Absinthe.... couldn't you bring another bag of stones, perhaps some from your garden/yard and just exchange one of your household stones, for a pebble and give it back to Natures beach? Replace what sum you need with the ones you've removed from the beach. Give back to the beach as an offering of what you would desire from Natures beach. I would, it would be an exchange, not stealing. Wear a disguise though.. and running shoes.... have a get-away broom ! LOL !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#9 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:46 AM

WOW i just tried opening the pic they are ... well a bit big i'll resize they and repost them tomorrow

oops sorry

Vixen

I know you said that you find them a bit impersonal but I think they're very pretty and the texture looks so 'touchable'. Maybe you'll grow on each other. I'd be inclined to keep them in a pocket and roll them about now and then.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#10 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

With what tool will you inscribe them? They are very attractive.
I've only used the elder alphabet, the others look interesting though.
Good luck with your project, I'd love to see pics when you've finished.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#11 Vixen

Vixen

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

I just resized the pics and attached them to the first post.

At the moment I am reading throw the runepoem translations I have found for the Anglo Saxon runes, i havefound it very interesting comparing it to the book definitions and seeing howpeople have interpreted the verses.

Belwenda, I'm not sure what I’ll use to write the runes with yet, I wantit to be hard wearing so maybe sharpie pen?
Absinthe, that pebble beach sounds perfect shame about you notbeing able to take any of them... looks like we're going to have tocome up with a mission plan Posted ImageI think Gypsy is on the right lines with that broomPosted Image hehe!

And know it is

As it should be

Accept.

Anji Alexander

#12 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Vixen

Hi Vixen! have you checked out this topic yet?
http://www.tradition...4863#entry94863

Its a new rune forum set up by one of the members here, and there are lots of tips for rune making, or great if you want some advice on anything 'runey!' :chakrahearts:

I am also a magpie for things from the beach, so I am planning to make rune tablets from pebbles, the sea glass look good too!
x

winter night

Edited by winter night, 04 April 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#13 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi Vixen! have you checked out this topic yet?
http://www.tradition...4863#entry94863

Its a new rune forum set up by one of the members here, and there are lots of tips for rune making, or great if you want some advice on anything 'runey!' :chakrahearts:

I am also a magpie for things from the beach, so I am planning to make rune tablets from pebbles, the sea glass look good too!
x

winter night

I was thinking the same thing, Winter Night! Grym's site would be a great way to compare the different Rune poems and decide which one "speaks" to you. Sea glass sounds like a lovely medium for those Runes, not to mention, so full of energy from the ocean-can't wait to see the finished product!

#14 Night_Hawk

Night_Hawk

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

Vixin your sea glass is beautiful. They will make wonderful Runes. Personally I have only used the elder futhark, only because it was the first I studied, so they just feel familar.

I am making new runes myself out of small flat stones from the sea and rivers near where we go camping. Something about the power of the water shaping them makes them feel electric to me. I'd love to see a picture of yours when they're finished.

Hold on to what is good, Even if it's a handful of earth..... Hold on to what you believe, Even if it's a tree that stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do, Even if it's a long way from here..... Hold on to your life, Even if it's easier to let go.
Hold on to my hand, Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.
~ a Pueblo Indian Prayer

#15 White Bear

White Bear

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:35 AM

Vixen, both the sea glass and the "bits and bobs" are just beautiful! My only concern would be that if you're using the "bits and bobs" for divination purposes, because they are so distinctive and different from one another, you might "accidentally on purpose" draw the runes you want, rather than randomly (according to the patterns of Wyrd). For that reason, I imagine the sea glass would be better for divination. They don't have to be identical, just not so distinctive that you subconsciously say "Oh, that one is Wynn--I'll take that!" :lol_witch: But if you're using them for other purposes, like contemplation or spell casting, the "bits and bobs" would be fine, IMO.

I have two sets of runes, one ceramic set with the Elder Futhark, and a wooden set (ash wood) with the Anglo-Saxon Futhorc. I prefer the Futhorc set, partly because they are the Futhorc runes, partly because they're made of wood.

FFF

#16 Night_Hawk

Night_Hawk

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:47 AM

Vixen, both the sea glass and the "bits and bobs" are just beautiful! My only concern would be that if you're using the "bits and bobs" for divination purposes, because they are so distinctive and different from one another, you might "accidentally on purpose" draw the runes you want, rather than randomly (according to the patterns of Wyrd). For that reason, I imagine the sea glass would be better for divination. They don't have to be identical, just not so distinctive that you subconsciously say "Oh, that one is Wynn--I'll take that!"

Good point White bear. I thought of that as well when I was picking out my own stones.

Hold on to what is good, Even if it's a handful of earth..... Hold on to what you believe, Even if it's a tree that stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do, Even if it's a long way from here..... Hold on to your life, Even if it's easier to let go.
Hold on to my hand, Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.
~ a Pueblo Indian Prayer