- - - - -

Appalachian Traditional Witch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

I have no intention of having a public argument over this. If you want to continue the discussion with me, happy to do so, but lets do it in chat or PM.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#22 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Nice to meet you, Kurt. Glad to hear you've found a place in the world that shares your views. :)

As I'm sure you can already tell, this community is a lively and diverse bunch, and conflicting personal opinions come up on a regular basis. Hang on to your lugnuts!

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#23 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

I have no intention of having a public argument over this. If you want to continue the discussion with me, happy to do so, but lets do it in chat or PM.

Na, I've already said what I wanted to say..

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:46 AM

I regret that my earlier posts were misconstrued; interestingly, considering my chance noting of Jevne's status update from 02 April I am holding out hope that something else unrelated to my posts might have been a contributing factor to the misunderstanding.

Kind regards,

Kurt

Kurt,

I will not speak for anyone else; however, I do not feel that I was being mean. Your assumption of familiarity made me uncomfortable. Enthusiasm is a great thing, but I'm naturally distrustful of strangers, especially strangers who seem to come on too strong too fast, for whatever reason. My defenses immediately go up. Your response to my admission of distrust was good. You backed off respectfully, but continued to post. Actually, I wouldn't have minded if you had challenged my assertions a little more, but that's O.K.

The truth is, Kurt, that I can't exactly tell what kind of person you really are, yet. This does not mean you are a bad person, of course, but simply that there is some aspect of your presence that is ambiguous to me. You are fuzzy. Some more interaction should clear it up, but it is a little disconcerting, because usually I can tell someone's general character right away. May just be one of those things. Some folks take longer than others. Anyway, I would rather poke you with a sharp stick now to see if you bite, than wait until later and get snapped at when I least expect it. So far, you demonstrated that you can take a hit or two. I respect that.

Jevne

P.S. I had to post this twice, because I lost connection, so if you get two of the same sort of posting here, just ignore one. The words are slightly different, but the sentiment is the same.

#25 Guest_Kurt_*

Guest_Kurt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Good day, all.

I will not speak for anyone else; however, I do not feel that I was being mean. Your assumption of familiarity made me uncomfortable. Enthusiasm is a great thing, but I'm naturally distrustful of strangers, especially strangers who seem to come on too strong too fast, for whatever reason. My defenses immediately go up. Your response to my admission of distrust was good. You backed off respectfully, but continued to post. Actually, I wouldn't have minded if you had challenged my assertions a little more, but that's O.K.

I didn't think you were being mean either - I recognized your post as being defensive and understand the difference between the two. My familiarity wasn't intended to be disrespectful, but again, in retrospect, I can see how it could easily have been off-putting.

In some ways I guess had a decided advantage at that time - I had spent some time reading here and getting a feel for the place, so I had an idea of some of the personalities and 'vibe' of the forum. I honestly never intended to cause hard feelings or to give anyone a reason to be defensive.

Rather than directly challenge your assertions, I hoped to just continue to post and maybe allow you and others to get a feel for my personality in your own time. My reasoning? The first thing a hysterical person says is "I'm not hysterical", so to post "hey, you have me wrong, I'm really a nice guy" might seem more than a little suspect. :-) Better to try and prove it over time rather than just say it and expect everyone to believe it.

I should also mention that though it might not have come out as obvious in my posts yet, I have a wicked sense of humor and try to see the light side of most situations.

The truth is, Kurt, that I can't exactly tell what kind of person you really are, yet. This does not mean you are a bad person, of course, but simply that there is some aspect of your presence that is ambiguous to me. You are fuzzy. Some more interaction should clear it up, but it is a little disconcerting, because usually I can tell someone's general character right away. May just be one of those things. Some folks take longer than others.

Completely understandable. It would be difficult for me to get a real 'feel' for someone's character after only a few posts, and I envy you the ability to do that. Meeting someone in person I generally don't have a problem, but the written word can easily muddy things.

In the course of my job I spend a lot of time writing on behalf of my employer to government agencies, so my writing style is probably somewhat more formal, maybe even stiff, compared to others. Sometimes I'll go back and read something I have posted previously and think, "wow, that sounded kind of uptight".

It would possibly have been easier were I an actual member here rather than a guest - a couple of PMs could have probably saved a lot of public unpleasantness.

Anyway, I would rather poke you with a sharp stick now to see if you bite, than wait until later and get snapped at when I least expect it. So far, you demonstrated that you can take a hit or two. I respect that.

I don't bite - at least, it would require an amazing amount of intentional provocation; I realize that only time will bear out that I am being honest about this.

If it clarifies anything at all, the way in which I approach a forum, more especially a closed one, is as though I were a guest in the home of the individual(s) hosting the board, and I view the other forum members as though they are also guests in the home of the forum owner. This all being said, I try to conduct myself as though we were all there, guests physically in the same room, during our discussions. By keeping this in mind I feel that it makes it considerably less likely that I would say something untowards or inappropriate - I won't post anything that I would not say to someone's face. I have seen a number of folks on the internet that are perfectly willing to talk smack (while hiding behind a personal computer) who would not dare make the same statements were the other person standing there. I try and conduct myself as I would as a guest in someone's home, which is precisely what I am here, both currently as a forum guest, as well as should I be at some point in time permitted to become a more permanent contributor.

You have a wonderful online community here from all that I have seen thus far. Even through misunderstandings most everyone has been willing to listen and adjust, and I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Kurt

#26 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

I would have chimed in earlier but am having difficulties with my eyes. Right now it's early in the day and the problem isn't too bad so I can type a longish post:

In Kurt's defense ...

If I read between the lines of his first post correctly, his Appalachian roots go fairly deep. Although more than a little irritating to the majority of us (especially city folks), the over-friendliness is quite common to old-line mountain folks. It comes across even mushier when you're just reading the written word. I live in (southern) rural Appalachia and encounter this frequently when meeting people whose families have been in the area for generations. It's very disconcerting - I don't like people assuming things but I'm slowly getting used to it.

I understand from others that the 'over-friendliness' is even more prevalent the further north you go. I dated a guy from West Virginia for awhile and his family was this way - especially his grandmother. My suspicion is that it stems from the Quakers, who refer to everyone as 'friend'. However, I'd never mistake the friendliness in speech (or written word) for true friendship. That must still be earned and old-timers are not quick to trust.

Kurt, registrations have been re-opened. Please apply.

MW

PS Our contractor is from rural Appalachia, as well. Our well was dowsed and is nearly a gusher. The subcontractor who laid the floorboards for the deck ignored the contractor's instructions and put it down during a waning moon. Many of the board edges are curling. Guess when we'll be laying the replacement boards!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#27 Guest_Kurt_*

Guest_Kurt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

Good day, all.

If I read between the lines of his first post correctly, his Appalachian roots go fairly deep. Although more than a little irritating to the majority of us (especially city folks), the over-friendliness is quite common to old-line mountain folks. It comes across even mushier when you're just reading the written word. I live in (southern) rural Appalachia and encounter this frequently when meeting people whose families have been in the area for generations. It's very disconcerting - I don't like people assuming things but I'm slowly getting used to it.

That is exactly correct. I have a friend from Ohio that recently moved into this area and he was a little freaked out by how friendly everyone was. He is from near Toledo and apparently up there you don't ever strike up conversations with a stranger, whereas here it's pretty normal to do so if you're standing in line at a checkout counter, in a physician's waiting room, etc.

I understand from others that the 'over-friendliness' is even more prevalent the further north you go. I dated a guy from West Virginia for awhile and his family was this way - especially his grandmother. My suspicion is that it stems from the Quakers, who refer to everyone as 'friend'. However, I'd never mistake the friendliness in speech (or written word) for true friendship. That must still be earned and old-timers are not quick to trust.

Again, spot-on. My wife was shopping for holiday dinner and was looking over the hams in the display case when an older lady she had never met, quite unsolicited, approached and began schooling her on the finer points of choosing a ham (what to look for, what to avoid, etc.). We have subsequently encountered this lady on several other occasions and each time we'll see her doing similar things with other shoppers if they seem like they need help. She is easily 70 years old and it's just something she does. She caught us both a little off-guard; not her friendliness, but that she reminds me a great deal of my mother who is no longer with us.

Kurt, registrations have been re-opened. Please apply.

I appreciate the heads-up! Application submitted - I hope the Admins find me a good fit here.

PS: Our contractor is from rural Appalachia, as well. Our well was dowsed and is nearly a gusher. The subcontractor who laid the floorboards for the deck ignored the contractor's instructions and put it down during a waning moon. Many of the board edges are curling. Guess when we'll be laying the replacement boards!

Wow. I had never heard of that prior to building our deck, so I am really glad that I listened! :-)

Kind regards,

Kurt

#28 Dream Walker

Dream Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Something about your syntax my dear Kurt fascinates me... I can't quite put a finger on it haha
"Time is a moving image of eternity" - a mechanical copy of a more profound reality.
- Plato/ Tobias Churton

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

Something about your syntax my dear Kurt fascinates me... I can't quite put a finger on it haha

I know exactly what you mean, Dream Walker. Maybe that is what I am picking up on.

Kurt: Your writing style, delivery, etc. are not like any other man I have ever known. You are a man, right? My goodness . . . I didn't even bother to look. I just assumed. You know . . . Kurt is a boy's name. I think. I'm not saying "Gee, you talk like a girl". Your writing style is just different from what I was expecting. Nothing wrong with having your preconceptions challenged.

Jevne

#30 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

Maybe it's the area that I live in, or other people that I have known, but your writing style and syntax sound perfectly normal to me, Kurt. **shrug** You simply come across as a friendly and intelligent person, as far as I'm concerned. :)

#31 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

Good day, all.

I know exactly what you mean, Dream Walker. Maybe that is what I am picking up on.

Kurt: Your writing style, delivery, etc. are not like any other man I have ever known. You are a man, right? My goodness . . . I didn't even bother to look. I just assumed. You know . . . Kurt is a boy's name. I think. I'm not saying "Gee, you talk like a girl". Your writing style is just different from what I was expecting. Nothing wrong with having your preconceptions challenged.

Jevne

For starters, yes, you are perfectly correct in your assumption that I am a man. :vhappywitch: The name Kurt was actually taken from "The Sound of Music" by my older sister, who thought that the incorrigible child so named in the film adaptation was adorable, and desired that I be so named.

As far as the quirks of my writing style go, I wish I could pinpoint what it is about my syntax that seems "off" or "odd". I guess I've just grown so accustomed to the noise rattling about in my head that I don't pay a lot of attention to it anymore. :cuckoo:

Some of it might well have to do with my job and my hobbies. As I believe that I touched upon in my formal introduction thread, I spend a lot of time drafting correspondence with state and federal agencies, which tends my writing style (and speech, in many respects) to be formal rather than conversational. I also managed to get a short novel (oxymoron?) published as an eBook - I really enjoy writing and have for as long as I can remember, always somewhat idolizing Edgar Allen Poe for his extensive vocabulary and unparalleled command of the language. Add to this being a lyricist for a couple of musical groups that I play electric bass for and you have the ingredients for some really unusual phrasing in my writing.

Or I could be totally off-base on all of the aforementioned things and just be a really, really weird guy. The jury's still out on this one, so perhaps time will tell. :roflhard:

Kind regards,

Kurt

Edited by Kurt, 15 April 2011 - 02:41 PM.

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#32 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Or I could be totally off-base on all of the aforementioned things and just be a really, really weird guy. The jury's still out on this one, so perhaps time will tell. :roflhard:
Kind regards,
Kurt

I can handle really, really weird guy.

J

#33 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

Good day, all.

J, if you're ok with "really weird guy" then that's what we'll go forward assuming. :-) LOL!

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#34 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

Good day, all.

J, if you're ok with "really weird guy" then that's what we'll go forward assuming. :-) LOL!

Kind regards,

Kurt

OK, works for me.

J

#35 Dream Walker

Dream Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

As far as the quirks of my writing style go, I wish I could pinpoint what it is about my syntax that seems "off" or "odd". I guess I've just grown so accustomed to the noise rattling about in my head that I don't pay a lot of attention to it anymore. :cuckoo:

Sorry Kurt, I don't mean off or odd, or anything bad at all. I quite like it actually, but I'm not sure what I like hahah.

"Time is a moving image of eternity" - a mechanical copy of a more profound reality.
- Plato/ Tobias Churton