Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Babooshka

The Ninth Wave

I would normally post this in the 'what are you listening to atm' thread, but it was so good i just had to make another topic. I brought Kate Bush's album 'Hounds of Love' the other day, and on it is a series of songs called 'The Ninth Wave' which tells the story of a woman who is stranded in the sea after having fallen overboard from a ship, and its about her trying to stay awake and survive. If you only listen to one of these songs, make it 'Hello Earth' or 'Under Ice' they're so emotional

1- 'And Dream of Sheep' -

This is where the woman desperately fights to stay awake because she knows if she does, she'll turn over and drown, in the end she does fall asleep, and enters a dream in the next song...

2- 'Under Ice' -

She's in a dream in this song, and she's dreaming she's skating on an open lake. She sees a figure under the ice, before realising shes actually watching herself in the dream.

3-' Waking the Witch -

The voices at the start are the people she knows trying to wake her from her dream. She wakes up, and experiences the drowning through the perspective of the witch hunt trials.

4 - 'Watching You Without Me' -

She starts to think about her family back home, and how worried they will be, she imagines her ghost is there watching her family, hence ''Watching You Without Me'

5 - 'Jig of Life' -

The Jig of Life is about the visitation of the old version of the woman. The old woman is pleading with her to survive, because if she doesn't, she won't exist anymore.

6 - 'Hello Earth' -

Hello Earth is the woman viewing earth from the perpective of space, and how tiny she is in comparision to the entire planet. For me its the most emotional songs on the album, especially the end of the song.

7 - 'The Morning Fog' -

This is where she is found and rescued, and how she chooses to cherish every moment of her life from there on.

lol, chances are, no one's gonna be bothered to listen to them :P but at least give 'Hello Earth' a go.

That last line seemed like a challenge to me, so I did listen to the songs. So, :razz:

I won't comment much further. I like the symbolism and emotion of the songs; however, her voice is too high pitched for me. Like nails on a chalkboard, actually, but don't take that personally. I have highly sensitive hearing and certain sounds just don't work for me. Still, the premise is quite lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Jevne

yeah, she's an aquired taste, alot of her later stuff is more deep and powerful though. I can see why some people wouldn't like her style though :P

I had kind of forgotten about her, but I do enjoy her music. Her voice has a bit of a child-like quality to it, at times, but I like it. Thanks for posting this, Babooshka! Really nice.

I love Kate Bush. I'll have to explore some of her newer works, though - I'm out of touch with what she's done lately. Thank you for this post.

I own The Kick Inside and Never for Ever albums. I think I'd played, "The Kick Inside" start to finish almost 700 times or more. I guess at this number because there was a stage in my life where I'd flip on this album and play it over and over every single day - for about 2 years! :party9:

I must have a listen when I get a chance - only really heard her Heathcliff one - is Kate where you got your name from then Babooshka?

I must have a listen when I get a chance - only really heard her Heathcliff one - is Kate where you got your name from then Babooshka?

yeah, babooshka is my favourite song of all time :) its got a good ring to it i think :P

yeah, babooshka is my favourite song of all time :) its got a good ring to it i think :P

its the one that I always think of when I think of her singing! good choice!