Home Canning

Michele

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is odd. I thought Xtians were all beamed up at the second coming, so why would they all be worring about how to survive after it?

M

I looked up the book and it is available on Kindle, so I put it on the wish-list (I get paid tomorrow, lol)...

So what is the ring and seal method? (sounds like a show I once saw in Sea World...)

M

roflhard.gif

Now that is odd. I thought Xtians were all beamed up at the second coming, so why would they all be worring about how to survive after it?

M

It depends on their 'brand'. The particular brand that comprise so much of my family and lifelong friends believe that there will be a tribulation that comes where the world "as we know it" will cease to exist and martial law and chaos will prevail, and christians will have to go into hiding and will be hunted and tortured again, like in the time of Nero in Rome. Their preparation is for that, and they believe that once they've 'proven themselves' through this tribulation, then they will be 'beamed up'.

The breed of christians I was raised with and still have the *pleasure* of interacting with are NOT your average, sunday-morning-only christians. They hold meetings at least 4 times per week, homeschool their kids, separate themselves from modern life as much as possible, and live and breathe 'end times'.

I looked up the book and it is available on Kindle, so I put it on the wish-list (I get paid tomorrow, lol)...

So what is the ring and seal method? (sounds like a show I once saw in Sea World...)

M

http://t2.gstatic.co...Om2AqVXl_4xP9ON (these lids are white, metal ones are more common, but you get the idea)

That pic shows the seals already on the jars, the rings are what hold the seals (lids) on while their processing, either in the pressure canner, on in the boiling water depending on what you're canning.

http://t2.gstatic.co...Om2AqVXl_4xP9ON (these lids are white, metal ones are more common, but you get the idea)

That pic shows the seals already on the jars, the rings are what hold the seals (lids) on while their processing, either in the pressure canner, on in the boiling water depending on what you're canning.

I don't get the riinging part... are they supposed to make a specific sound when sealed properly??

M

I don't get the riinging part... are they supposed to make a specific sound when sealed properly??

M

Yes, when the lids seal properly you'll hear the lids making a 'pop' sound as the middle of the pops down. This usually happens as the jars are cooling.

M

AHAHAHA! :rofl:

The ring and seal are 2 different things no? the flat part is the seal and the the ring screws on over it? Just making sure ha, I'm gonna google it up when I'm ready and give it a shot

Ah the visual! Thanks! ha Just making sure.

That's what my neighbors used but still put wax on top before they sealed it up, I take it it's not really necessary?

Interesting, I've never heard of it. My Great Grandma taught me to can and none of my family have ever used wax... so based on my experience I'd say no it's not necessary. There are some foods (like tomatoes) that are acidic enough that they don't need pressure canning and can be done with the boiling water method only, but we've always done pressure canning. I wonder if the wax is used in some boiling water methods? I can't imagine using wax with pressure canning... I'm curious about it now. :)

I don't remember them putting it on but I remember having fun popping the wax out when a jar was opened. One time we made little wax people and pretended they were voodoo dolls. Flashback to the 70's hahaha

I did a bit of searching, most of the references I can find to sealing with wax state that it was the only available method until 1858 when the current method was invented. The wax method is apparently considered error-prone and unsafe...

http://kaufmann-merc...m/home-canning/

"1858 was a watershed year for home-canning. Prior to this date, home-canners had to use ‘wax sealers’, which featured glass tops and bottoms sealed together with wax. It sounds quaint, but in practice was time consuming and error prone. And discovering just before dinner that instead of a jar of fresh from the vine tomatoes, you had in fact been storing moldering mush, is a sad error indeed. When the young tinsmith John L. Mason invented the threaded lip and two-piece sealing lid, home-canning became far more foolproof."

http://www.pickyouro...canningjars.htm

"Primitive Canning

Until 1858, canning jars used a glass jar, a tin flat lid, and sealing wax, which was not reusable and messy"

http://www.ourfamily...page.html#tip57

"Wax - why it isn't recommended

Wax does not always provide an airtight seal. Upon cooling, wax tends to contract and may pull away from the sides of the jars. Tiny pinhead-sized holes, that are nearly impossible to detect, can penetrate through the wax to the surface of the jam allowing air and spoilage microorganisms to invade the product."

Interesting, I've never heard of it. My Great Grandma taught me to can and none of my family have ever used wax... so based on my experience I'd say no it's not necessary. There are some foods (like tomatoes) that are acidic enough that they don't need pressure canning and can be done with the boiling water method only, but we've always done pressure canning. I wonder if the wax is used in some boiling water methods? I can't imagine using wax with pressure canning... I'm curious about it now. :)

I've never used wax when I can my tomatoes. But I have used it when canning my strawberry jam, and then put the lids and rings on. Course I do my strawberry jams in the microwave. Too each their own, I reckon. For those who love to can, it's fun and the sense of accomplishment is wonderful. Nothing like having summer-time foods in the dead of winter. Go for it, you'll amaze yourself.

Regards,

Gypsy

I've never used wax when I can my tomatoes. But I have used it when canning my strawberry jam, and then put the lids and rings on. Course I do my strawberry jams in the microwave. Too each their own, I reckon. For those who love to can, it's fun and the sense of accomplishment is wonderful. Nothing like having summer-time foods in the dead of winter. Go for it, you'll amaze yourself.

Regards,

Gypsy

You do use wax on jam? I must have missed that. I'd never heard of using wax with canning till EarthFaery mentioned it.

Side note: I canned a batch of split pea soup the other night and my little one came in and saw the jars cooling on the counter and said "Why did you color the jars green Mommy?" LOL!!

You do use wax on jam? I must have missed that. I'd never heard of using wax with canning till EarthFaery mentioned it.

Side note: I canned a batch of split pea soup the other night and my little one came in and saw the jars cooling on the counter and said "Why did you color the jars green Mommy?" LOL!!

Yeah I use wax on jam, I just melt the wax and pour it over the preserves, then I put a lid and ring on them. The wax hardens and I've never had an issue with it penetrating my jams. I put the lid and ring on them once the wax hardens, as I don't want dust and woosie boogars getting on the wax. When I open the jam jar, I just cut the wax in a few spots and remove it.. easy peasy.

Regards,

Gypsy

*** Your side note : lol ! what did you reply to the little Princess about the color of your jars?

Regards,

Gypsy

Yea, CG, I remember opening jars of jam, done just like yours, with the wax and the seal/ring assembly, when I was a kid. Maybe people do it that way just to be doubly sure that it is good and sealed?

Yea, CG, I remember opening jars of jam, done just like yours, with the wax and the seal/ring assembly, when I was a kid. Maybe people do it that way just to be doubly sure that it is good and sealed?

Plus u have to admit that a home-canned jar with a wax top just looks so much cooler, lol. I'd see dipping mine into wax just for the visual on the shelves...

M

you pour the wax on the preserves themselves, or on the seal afterwards?

M

The melted liquid wax, is poured directly upon the jam, the wax hardens and seals the preserves. Once the wax is hardened, I then put a disk-seal, with a screw top ring upon the whole thing. It's doubly sealed.

Wax + disk-top + screw ring. I don't know the reasons of why this works, nor do I care, it's the magic of canning ! I can testify to this, as I have had my jams sit in my pantry for 5-6 months, and when I open them, take off the lid-disk, and crack the wax, it's as fresh as the day I did it, and the kitchen smells like fresh strawberries.

Regards,

Gypsy

Yeppers EJ, I think you are right about the doubly sealed concept. Even though you don't hear a " Ping " when the jams seal with the wax, it's sealed. It must be that assurance when canning berries, as opposed to tomatoes. The jam mixture is thick and lucious, and oh so good, upon ice cream with bib-bits of chocolate swirlies... and pecans...! LOL !:smile:

Regards,

Gypsy

The melted liquid wax, is poured directly upon the jam, the wax hardens and seals the preserves. Once the wax is hardened, I then put a disk-seal, with a screw top ring upon the whole thing. It's doubly sealed.

Wax + disk-top + screw ring. I don't know the reasons of why this works, nor do I care, it's the magic of canning ! I can testify to this, as I have had my jams sit in my pantry for 5-6 months, and when I open them, take off the lid-disk, and crack the wax, it's as fresh as the day I did it, and the kitchen smells like fresh strawberries.

Regards,

Gypsy

Do you have to steralize the wax? Can you just use an old candle? I suppose you'd need unscented??

Okay - sorry to drive you nutters, but please post, explicitly and as if you were talking to a 5-year-old (which is about the mental ability of my cooking) the exact receipe and preperation and storing of strawberry jam (I am hoping to have enough to try and make some.....)... I mean don't assume I will know how do to ANYTHING, lol, I know boiling has bubbles in it and you shouldn't stick your finger in it to see if it's hot, but that's about all I know of cooking. thx :-D

M

Regards,

Gypsy

Yes! This is what my granny and mom did. I know they used paraffin wax-can be bought at most grocery stores, walmart etc.

Do you have to steralize the wax? Can you just use an old candle? I suppose you'd need unscented??

Okay - sorry to drive you nutters, but please post, explicitly and as if you were talking to a 5-year-old (which is about the mental ability of my cooking) the exact receipe and preperation and storing of strawberry jam (I am hoping to have enough to try and make some.....)... I mean don't assume I will know how do to ANYTHING, lol, I know boiling has bubbles in it and you shouldn't stick your finger in it to see if it's hot, but that's about all I know of cooking. thx :-D

M

I'm wondering since you don't have a stove, I assume that you have a microwave and are on friendly terms with it. I know you told me not to assume, however... this is a microwave recipe. I've never done it on a hot plate, I know you have one of those, I read that somewhere on here. lol. I'll make this easy for you. We'll start out small and see how ya do, girlie.

There is a product called paraffin wax, you don't have to sterilize it, and it's unscented. You can pick this up in your grocery store. In a small pan as you don't need very much, just about 1/4 inch of melted wax to pour on your preserves. Leave at least 1/2 inch from your preserves to the top of your jar. You can melt your wax on your hot plate, while your jam is doing it's thing in the microwave. It doesn't matter if you have a bonified lid or not, after the wax has hardened upon your jam, you can put a pretty piece of fabric over the sealed jar, the extra lid or fabric, just keeps the wax from getting all dusty or grimey. But if you have a lid that fits the jar, use that to cover the wax, then add your fabric on top of that, just for the appealing look.

1 Cup of Crushed Strawberries, remove the hull, that is the green leafy folliage on the top of the berry. You crush the berries with what ever instrument you want to use, potato masher, or large fork, I just use an electric mixer. ( Oh gads, I just gave you another appliance that I'm not sure you may have )dry.gif

2 teaspoons of Lemon Juice, you don't have to have real lemons, but if you have those little yellow lemon plastic containers like for flavoring water or a dash for your vodka, that will work just fine.

3/4 Cup of Sugar. I use real sugar, but if your using Equal or Splenda, can't help ya there girl-friend, I don't know the proper contents of that artificial crap.

Stir together the crushed strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in an 8 cup microwave-safe measuring cup. Put a plate on top of the 8 cup microwave-safe measuring cup, as this will begin to boil and bubble.

Microwave on 100 percent power for 4 minutes, then take it out and stir it, put it back in the microwave for another 4 minutes. Stir that again.

Your mixture will be hot, spoon or ladle the hot preserves into your jar, with a hot pad shake your jar a bit to make sure all your preserves have settled evenly, continue to pour but leave at least a 1/2 inch of no preserves to the top of your jar. Take a cloth and whipe the rim of your jar really well. Pour your hot wax on top of your jam, and then stick it in the refridgerator ( that's that big tall box like thing in peoples kitchen that keeps food from spoiling ) :pinch: ( sorry couldn't resist ) Once the preserves have chilled, your wax will be hard, and you can put the lid on it, or the fabric top and place it on your shelf. This won't make a huge batch, but for your first time out at bat with this, you'll get the gist of it, and if something goes wrong, you won't be out much. Good luck my friend, I've got my fingers crossed for you.:high5: If you have any questions, any at all... don't hesitate to ask. I want you to succeed with this, as they do make nice cheap gifts for your loved ones. Make me proud..... lol ... I'm rootin' for ya !

Regards,

Gypsy

I'm wondering since you don't have a stove, I assume that you have a microwave and are on friendly terms with it. I know you told me not to assume, however... this is a microwave recipe. I've never done it on a hot plate, I know you have one of those, I read that somewhere on here. lol. I'll make this easy for you. We'll start out small and see how ya do, girlie.

There is a product called paraffin wax, you don't have to sterilize it, and it's unscented. You can pick this up in your grocery store. In a small pan as you don't need very much, just about 1/4 inch of melted wax to pour on your preserves. Leave at least 1/2 inch from your preserves to the top of your jar. You can melt your wax on your hot plate, while your jam is doing it's thing in the microwave. It doesn't matter if you have a bonified lid or not, after the wax has hardened upon your jam, you can put a pretty piece of fabric over the sealed jar, the extra lid or fabric, just keeps the wax from getting all dusty or grimey. But if you have a lid that fits the jar, use that to cover the wax, then add your fabric on top of that, just for the appealing look.

1 Cup of Crushed Strawberries, remove the hull, that is the green leafy folliage on the top of the berry. You crush the berries with what ever instrument you want to use, potato masher, or large fork, I just use an electric mixer. ( Oh gads, I just gave you another appliance that I'm not sure you may have )dry.gif

2 teaspoons of Lemon Juice, you don't have to have real lemons, but if you have those little yellow lemon plastic containers like for flavoring water or a dash for your vodka, that will work just fine.

3/4 Cup of Sugar. I use real sugar, but if your using Equal or Splenda, can't help ya there girl-friend, I don't know the proper contents of that artificial crap.

Stir together the crushed strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in an 8 cup microwave-safe measuring cup. Put a plate on top of the 8 cup microwave-safe measuring cup, as this will begin to boil and bubble.

Microwave on 100 percent power for 4 minutes, then take it out and stir it, put it back in the microwave for another 4 minutes. Stir that again.

Your mixture will be hot, spoon or ladle the hot preserves into your jar, with a hot pad shake your jar a bit to make sure all your preserves have settled evenly, continue to pour but leave at least a 1/2 inch of no preserves to the top of your jar. Take a cloth and whipe the rim of your jar really well. Pour your hot wax on top of your jam, and then stick it in the refridgerator ( that's that big tall box like thing in peoples kitchen that keeps food from spoiling ) :pinch: ( sorry couldn't resist ) Once the preserves have chilled, your wax will be hard, and you can put the lid on it, or the fabric top and place it on your shelf. This won't make a huge batch, but for your first time out at bat with this, you'll get the gist of it, and if something goes wrong, you won't be out much. Good luck my friend, I've got my fingers crossed for you.:high5: If you have any questions, any at all... don't hesitate to ask. I want you to succeed with this, as they do make nice cheap gifts for your loved ones. Make me proud..... lol ... I'm rootin' for ya !

Regards,

Gypsy

Okay - I am going to try this, and I should get at least 1 cup of strawberries off the plants (I hope). Oh - I don't hve a microwave (used to for making soap, but chucked it becuas eit took up room on the counter and looked ugly). I do have one of those very small black-and-decker food processors. Questions:

DO I need to boil the jars first? Can I use the old slasa and bisgetti sauce jars that I save?

As an aside - I had decided to start very small and try preserving some things in olive oil. So I put some rosemary and garlic in olive oil becuase I thought it would make the oil taste good. The oil went all cloudy so I googled that and although no one said anything about cloudy oil every site said to never preserve garlic in oil becuas eit is the perfect environment to grow botulism. Oh joy. So now I'm going ot be tossing that out. Fuck me - this is worse than camping. (I tried camping once - it was very humid and the sleeping bags felt wet and disgusting and I got up at 2 a.m. and took the only car and the only cell phone and my son and left everyone else in the tent and drove home and slept in the bed in the air conditioning. (I did go back the next day after lunch and to pick everyone up but they were still pissed as hell.)

M