Photo
- - - - -

Wildwood Tarot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

From Will Worthington, the illustrator of The DruidCraft Tarot and The Druid Plant and Animal Oracles... feast your eyes on these:

http://willworthingt...arot/4548324255

Guess what I've got on my birthday present wish list! :crossfingers:

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#2 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

These are lovely! I've always wanted to paint my own, but these look very similar to what I would want.
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#3 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

brillant! thanks for posting these, its just the kind of artwork i've been looking for :)
Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#4 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

From Will Worthington, the illustrator of The DruidCraft Tarot and The Druid Plant and Animal Oracles... feast your eyes on these:

http://willworthingt...arot/4548324255

Guess what I've got on my birthday present wish list! :crossfingers:

beautiful illustrations - I love that they are very clean lined, with really rich colours and shading

(and not all fancy-dancy and overly digitally enhanced, like some packs, which aren't my kind of thing lol!)

thanks for posting Oceana

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Oh my goodness, they are beautiful.. I have the DruidCraft by Worthington. I agree with WinterNight, I don't much care for the enhanced ones. I really like the subtley of the entire card. Might just have to entertain, this purchase.
Thanks so much Oceana for posting this...................... you tempter !!!!!!!! lol !
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm in the minority it appears because they're not really my cup of tea... They're very nicely done though. :)

What does everyone mean by "enhanced"? I've only tried one tarot deck (Rider-Waite) and I didn't like it at all, ended up chucking it in the dumpster. lol I've been wanting to make my own, but haven't been able to find the right kind of cards to paint on yet.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#7 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'm in the minority it appears because they're not really my cup of tea... They're very nicely done though. :)

What does everyone mean by "enhanced"? I've only tried one tarot deck (Rider-Waite) and I didn't like it at all, ended up chucking it in the dumpster. lol I've been wanting to make my own, but haven't been able to find the right kind of cards to paint on yet.

the enhanced ones, IMO, are the ones where the artist has packed in so much, and goes a bit far, and most of the detail is so faint and tiny, with loads of images overlaying each other, that you can't see the wood for the trees, if you know what I mean ;)

I had a deck like this, and never stuck with it as there was way to much stuff going on with the image.

I know others will like these though, I work alot with digital illustration, so maybe its just my brain wanting a rest! LOL!

#8 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

the enhanced ones, IMO, are the ones where the artist has packed in so much, and goes a bit far, and most of the detail is so faint and tiny, with loads of images overlaying each other, that you can't see the wood for the trees, if you know what I mean ;)

I had a deck like this, and never stuck with it as there was way to much stuff going on with the image.

I know others will like these though, I work alot with digital illustration, so maybe its just my brain wanting a rest! LOL!

Gotcha, I wasn't sure. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#9 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Gotcha, I wasn't sure. :)

the mad thing was, I bought that first deck because I loved the computery-ness (?!) of the designs, but found, I am only a bit better when the images are less compicated - probably why I am better with runes! LOL!

#10 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

the mad thing was, I bought that first deck because I loved the computery-ness (?!) of the designs, but found, I am only a bit better when the images are less compicated - probably why I am better with runes! LOL!

I'm kind of an old fashioned person when it comes to anything to do with art (magical or otherwise) and anything that looks too "tech" just puts me in an office state of mind - not conducive to magic! lol I've done best with regular playing cards for card based divination, but I recently purchased an antique Lenormand deck. I have hopes that it will be better for me, since the pictures are more of the type that I like and it also uses the regular card suits.

#11 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

I'm kind of an old fashioned person when it comes to anything to do with art (magical or otherwise) and anything that looks too "tech" just puts me in an office state of mind - not conducive to magic! lol I've done best with regular playing cards for card based divination, but I recently purchased an antique Lenormand deck. I have hopes that it will be better for me, since the pictures are more of the type that I like and it also uses the regular card suits.

Hi Aloe,
just checked out some of the images of these on google, they are lovely cards - beautifully simple in their style, and I like that they are softly coloured.

I have made the mistake in the past of buying cards online (no shops here that sell any decent packs!) and have been disappointed both times.

I have always had a thing about playing cards, spending hours as a kid playing clock patience and other 'solitary' card games. Never thought about doing the tarot with these, must look into giving that a go.:vhappywitch:

#12 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

beautiful illustrations - I love that they are very clean lined, with really rich colours and shading

(and not all fancy-dancy and overly digitally enhanced, like some packs, which aren't my kind of thing lol!)

thanks for posting Oceana

Oh my goodness, they are beautiful.. I have the DruidCraft by Worthington. I agree with WinterNight, I don't much care for the enhanced ones. I really like the subtley of the entire card. Might just have to entertain, this purchase.
Thanks so much Oceana for posting this...................... you tempter !!!!!!!! lol !

Glad to share :chakrahearts:

I know what you mean about the digitally enhanced decks... for ages I wanted a deck that looked amazing online, had photos of real people mixed with digital artwork. When I finally got it, it was dead in my hands. I could get nothing out of it, and didn't even like the pictures any more. I definitely prefer drawn/painted images over photos and computer generated ones, they just have so much more soul.

My favourite is the Victorian Romantic Tarot, whose rich, detailed artwork works really well for me. (Interesting how some people need a lot of detail and for others less is more.) I used to have the DruidCraft deck as well and it read beautifully, but for some reason I didn't like the pictures on some of the cards at all so ended up selling it (for a very nice profit! *chuckle*). I have high hopes for this deck though, looks magical...

but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#13 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

These are lovely! I've always wanted to paint my own, but these look very similar to what I would want.

I'd love to design my own deck too, but being married to a professional artist puts me off a bit. (Apart from the fact that there's a ready supply of decent stationery in the house). I've doodled quite a good card border but - how on earth does one settle on a theme? There are so many beautiful designs on the market; I want to make it personal but when you think of it, it's a project that could take years to get right. I'd love to see your first sketches if you have a go.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#14 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'd love to design my own deck too, but being married to a professional artist puts me off a bit. (Apart from the fact that there's a ready supply of decent stationery in the house). I've doodled quite a good card border but - how on earth does one settle on a theme? There are so many beautiful designs on the market; I want to make it personal but when you think of it, it's a project that could take years to get right. I'd love to see your first sketches if you have a go.

It's true this would take a very long time... but would be so worth it in the end. Why would you have to settle on one theme?! "Settling" is never good, IMO. :vhappywitch:

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#15 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

While the anticipation for the release of this deck has been high, it doesn't appeal to me. The art work looks too much like comic book art, which I don't know if it's just coincidence, but the creator Mark Ryan is slated to release a graphic novel based on the deck, which makes me wonder... did this start out as a comic book idea and then one day he was like 'hey lets just make a deck too and call it the new Greenwood,' which if you ask me there is no comparison to the original beautiful artwork done by Chesca Potter.

#16 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

While the anticipation for the release of this deck has been high, it doesn't appeal to me. The art work looks too much like comic book art, which I don't know if it's just coincidence, but the creator Mark Ryan is slated to release a graphic novel based on the deck, which makes me wonder... did this start out as a comic book idea and then one day he was like 'hey lets just make a deck too and call it the new Greenwood,' which if you ask me there is no comparison to the original beautiful artwork done by Chesca Potter.

Interesting... thanks for the info. Comic Book is exactly what came to mind when I looked at this deck, that's why it just wasn't my cup of tea. lol Not that comic book art isn't 'good', it's just not my thing.

#17 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I just had to come back to this thread and say that, since I first posted, I have changed my mind about this deck. I was enabled after reading through the discussions on the Aeclectic Tarot forums, and can honestly say that the artwork grew on me and am now quite fond of this deck. :D I definitely see this becoming one of my preferred go-to decks for readings.

#18 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

I just had to come back to this thread and say that, since I first posted, I have changed my mind about this deck. I was enabled after reading through the discussions on the Aeclectic Tarot forums, and can honestly say that the artwork grew on me and am now quite fond of this deck. :D I definitely see this becoming one of my preferred go-to decks for readings.

That's wonderful to hear! I got the kit for my birthday, started reading the book while I was babysitting, but now haven't got back to it for a while. I've been quite the emotional mess for the last 7 months to a year now—Tarot & my Craft have suffered the damage. It's all twisted in a big knot inside me. :ermm: Hopefully it will open some day soon... if not, I'm going to have to consider therapy!

But yes, the deck still looks stunning and I can't wait to get my head sorted out and start reading with the Wildwood :chakrahearts:

but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#19 White Bear

White Bear

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

This past Friday I was at a bookstore and stumbled across the Wildwood Tarot deck. I hadn't been planning to buy a tarot deck, but took a good look at the cards and book and was quite taken by them. Fortunately for my pocketbook, they were being sold at a reduced price. Haven't done a reading yet, but have pored over the book and examined many of the cards. They're really quite nice. :)

Edited by White Bear, 20 June 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#20 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

I purchased this deck tonight. Something drew me in just looking at the sample images on the back of the box. I have always been attracted to the image of the "sorcerer" from the caves I'm France. And these cards evoked a similar response. I'm currently glancing at the book to read what their meanings are for the cards before I apply my own.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery