flapjacks

this is a receipe my mum always made when we were kids, and now I make them for my family.

flapjacks are a traditional scottish tray bake - we do have all those oats knocking about!

just wanted to share incase you havent tried these, as they are really tasty!

ingredients:

200g rolled oats and a pinch of salt

2 large tablespoons of golden syrup

1 large dessert spoon of dark brown sugar

100g butter

opptional topping: dark choc chips, nuts, dried fruit

1 drop the butter, syrup and sugar in a pot and melt together

2 stir in your oats and pinch of salt

3 pour into a greased baking tin (about 8inch square works well)

4 bake in oven at 180! c for 20-25 mins

5 once they are baked, allow tray to cool down before removing flapjacks - I like to add dark chocolate chips at this stage ;)

6 wait till they cool a wee bit and then you can score them into bar lengths or squares

7 once cool cut through bars and if you don't eat them all in one day (difficult!) store in tin or they will start to go soft.

NB after they are baked they go really hard ,and hold together well - so don't be tempted to take them out the tin till cool, otherwise they will fall to bits!

if they fall to bits though they are great on top of apple crumble.

Edited by winter night

GAWWWD, they sound good !!! I'll come back to this after my cleanse. Totally unknown to me that this is baked!! Please tell me Winter, that this is a " pants friendly " recipe ! Minus the chocolate of course, but then again, I don't mind being hooked up to an I.V. when there's chocolate to internalize.:rolleyes_witch:

Regards,

Gypsy

GAWWWD, they sound good !!! I'll come back to this after my cleanse. Totally unknown to me that this is baked!! Please tell me Winter, that this is a " pants friendly " recipe ! Minus the chocolate of course, but then again, I don't mind being hooked up to an I.V. when there's chocolate to internalize.:rolleyes_witch:

Regards,

Gypsy

hahahaha! I keep forgetting alot of you are cleansing!

the oats are great for keeping your energy levels up, but the sugar content wouldn't be great if you got through the whole load in a few days - they are healthier biscuits, lets say. Least they wont give you a 'ring of fire' like the ginger, grapefuit and onion'mix lol!

I love them, I usually buy those health bar things, but these are just as good and cost less, they're yummy!

Since I saw this recipe, it's been haunting me :P_witch: I'm not a huge fan of store bought flapjacks, but these home made ones sound like they'd be delicious. I really want to try them, BUT... I'm currently trying to lose a bit of weight (not LOADS as I'm also concentrating on toning up i.e. turning the weight I have into muscle), so what I eat is a big thing for me now. Syrup, sugar and butter sound like a dangerous combo for someone who's doing their best to cut down on greasy comfort foods and chocolate (oh BOY it's not easy...). Is there any way one could make these slightly more weight control friendly? Could any of the most fattening ingredients be replaced with something else? Oats are fine, but butter, sugar and syrup... EEEK!

If not, to Hel with it—I'll bake a batch, the OH will happily eat 90% of it so I shouldn't have to worry too much :D

Since I saw this recipe, it's been haunting me :P_witch: I'm not a huge fan of store bought flapjacks, but these home made ones sound like they'd be delicious. I really want to try them, BUT... I'm currently trying to lose a bit of weight (not LOADS as I'm also concentrating on toning up i.e. turning the weight I have into muscle), so what I eat is a big thing for me now. Syrup, sugar and butter sound like a dangerous combo for someone who's doing their best to cut down on greasy comfort foods and chocolate (oh BOY it's not easy...). Is there any way one could make these slightly more weight control friendly? Could any of the most fattening ingredients be replaced with something else? Oats are fine, but butter, sugar and syrup... EEEK!

If not, to Hel with it—I'll bake a batch, the OH will happily eat 90% of it so I shouldn't have to worry too much :D

you might be able to get away with taking out the butter, as the syrup and sugar will still bind it - havent tried it though -

if you load it with lots of nuts and dried fruit, you could cut into small squares, and just have them as high energy snacks if you are doing exercise - they will keep you going longer than most snack bars, so less is maybe more with these? ;)

I am trying to get fit and these are a good alternative to shop bought ones, as I know whats going into them.

once the chocolate goes on those there is no escaping them!

Maybe experiment with replacing the sugar and syrup with applesauce and stevia, and sprinkling dark cocoa powder on the top with some dried fruit instead of the chocolate chips?

if you load it with lots of nuts and dried fruit, you could cut into small squares, and just have them as high energy snacks if you are doing exercise - they will keep you going longer than most snack bars, so less is maybe more with these? ;)

I am trying to get fit and these are a good alternative to shop bought ones, as I know whats going into them.

I definitely agree, I'd much rather eat these than the shop bought ones that are loaded with E numbers and Dog knows what. And that's a good idea about using these as high energy snacks before/after exercise. I am getting pretty sick of bananas :tongue:

Maybe experiment with replacing the sugar and syrup with applesauce and stevia

Liking the apple sauce idea! Not sure if it would bind the oats together but would definitely add nice flavour... how convenient, I was just thinking what to do with the rest of that apple sauce I've got in the fridge.

Liking the apple sauce idea! Not sure if it would bind the oats together but would definitely add nice flavour... how convenient, I was just thinking what to do with the rest of that apple sauce I've got in the fridge.

It usually binds pretty good when I use it in baking, if it doesn't, I add an egg. (I'm always replacing stuff in recipes lol)

this is a receipe my mum always made when we were kids, and now I make them for my family.

flapjacks are a traditional scottish tray bake - we do have all those oats knocking about!

Funny, here in Canada flapjacks is a synonym for "pancakes"... but these sound like delicious granola bars...

Oceana, I'm sure you could use veggie oil instead of butter (a small portion of flax seed oil even?) and use a molasses and honey mixture to bind them instead of syrup and sugar. These substitutions should cut down on saturated fats and sugar, and the molasses has good vitamins in it. Regardless, I'm sure these are far better for you than anything you can buy in a package. :chef:

I must get our traditional receipe for 'tablet' on here - its like really hard fudge and jam packed with sugar! total teeth-rotting stuff, but so yummy! no wonder us Scots have knackered teeth..:party0016: don't even get me started on all the receipes using whiskey!

p.s. they should be at 180c not 200! (i have fixed the first post!)

Typical—I had to learn gas marks instead of Celsius when I moved from Finland to the UK, and now I don't know how to bake these then when Celsius is given! :vhappywitch: Not to worry, plenty of conversion tables available online.

Can't wait to try these, thanks everyone for the waist friendly modification ideas! Just got to decide what the best combo would be...