Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

"Crooked Man" Rhyme

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 Dream Walker

Dream Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

That is kind of similar, its quit nice. I did not translate it myself, I wish I could read hebrew though. I think Charles Alexander Moffat was the original translator.

"Time is a moving image of eternity" - a mechanical copy of a more profound reality.
- Plato/ Tobias Churton

#22 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

The only knowledge I have of Lilith's creation in Hebrew mythos is she was created at the same time as Adam, of clay next to him. Once life was breathed into her, she scorned him referring to play with the animals. Adam complained to god, who put him to sleep then created Eve out of Adam's rib so she would always be tied to him. Later on, it is believed by some it was actually she who tempted Eve to eat the forbidden fruit and her punishment was to have her limbs removed so she would slither along the ground, effectively becoming a monster. Possibly the owl feet is an attempt to regain limbs?
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#23 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Now that's an interesting thought, lol. But as her stories are myths, I don't think it would be the literal reason she would have owl's feet. I have not heard of the myth where it was Lilith that tempted Eve, but I have often heard that Eve was "possessed" by Lilith when she took the fruit.

M

#24 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

I have transferred my attention to this topic from the new one linked to it. This is all so fascinating and demands that I give my sixpenneth of my own experiences with customs involved here.
FFFF
Elf

#25 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

The Identity of Mother Goose & her Nursery Rhymes!

Old Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes

Old Mother Goose
When she wanted to wander
Would fly through the air
On a very fine gander.

Mother Goose had a house;
It stood in the wood
Where an owl at the door
As sentinel stood.

Edited by Absinthe to add copyright reference: Alchin, L.K. Nursery Rhymes Lyrics and Origins
e.g. Retrieved November 2007 from Rhymes.org.uk

I just purchased "Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes: A Collection of Alphabets, Rhymes, Tales and Jingles
Publisher Donohue, Henneberry & Co., 1897". On the cover, Mother Goose is depicted with her conical hat, riding a gander, and carrying a rather large broom, bristle side up across her shoulder. I have always loved the stories and the symbolism of Mother Goose and other fairy tales. Just really happy about the purchase and wanted to share.

Jevne

#26 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

I just purchased "Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes: A Collection of Alphabets, Rhymes, Tales and Jingles
Publisher Donohue, Henneberry & Co., 1897". On the cover, Mother Goose is depicted with her conical hat, riding a gander, and carrying a rather large broom, bristle side up across her shoulder. I have always loved the stories and the symbolism of Mother Goose and other fairy tales. Just really happy about the purchase and wanted to share.

Jevne

Congrats on the purchase J, I love antique books, especially ones that deal with fairytales and myths.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#27 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

Jevne

Fantastic find Jevne, congratulations.. I have always loved the rhymes. I have a copy from the 30's and also an older copy of Grims with the lithographic prints... one of my most cherished books.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.