Beautiful Skulls

Vermillion

Wow Vermilion, those are incredible, a bit pricey for me. I'm not familiar in Bhuddism, I also wonder how would something like that get through Customs, or if it would be legal to own something of that human nature in the U.S. Would you shed some light on that? Thank you !

Regards,

Gypsy

Wow Vermilion, those are incredible, a bit pricey for me. I'm not familiar in Bhuddism, I also wonder how would something like that get through Customs, or if it would be legal to own something of that human nature in the U.S. Would you shed some light on that? Thank you !

Regards,

Gypsy

I think they're beautiful too. :)

This is from the Website CG:

Human Bone Laws & Information

"In short, it is perfectly legal to posses and sell human bones in the United States. There are a few exceptions and addendums to this including a few states where import and export has been banned, and of course, protected archaeological resources covered by the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act. For more information and specifics please visit our Bone FAQ page."

My understanding was that they're already in the US, so customs wouldn't be an issue at this point.

Regards,

Gypsy

Very pricey. According to my limited research, it is legal to posess human remains almost anywhere. It is NOT legal to take them across certain state/province/international borders. India was exporting human reamins until 1985, and China until 2008 (just before the Olympics) again, according to my limited research. These two countries supplied most of the real human skulls and skeletons sold and traded today.

It kinda makes me want to dig up my pet rats that I buried several years ago in the back park behind my mums house. Just to have them around now that they've been cleaned by nature...

Edit - re: above, would that be weird!?

Thanks for that Aloe, I've just had weird things that folks have brought on my plane, and having to deal with Customs when I've brought back things from other places. Good info, great link ! Thanks.

Regards,

Gypsy

It kinda makes me want to dig up my pet rats that I buried several years ago in the back park behind my mums house. Just to have them around now that they've been cleaned by nature...

LMAO ! I find Forensic Science fastinating. I'll have to hike in the woods behind the house, and see if I can't find something nature left behind, this spring. I've heard that to clean bones, that have already been taken care of by nature, one should put the bones or skeleton in bleach ? Your thoughts ?

Regards,

Gypsy

Very pricey. According to my limited research, it is legal to posess human remains almost anywhere. It is NOT legal to take them across certain state/province/international borders. India was exporting human reamins until 1985, and China until 2008 (just before the Olympics) again, according to my limited research. These two countries supplied most of the real human skulls and skeletons sold and traded today.

It's not weird at all, I've read of several people doing that. ;)

LMAO ! I find Forensic Science fastinating. I'll have to hike in the woods behind the house, and see if I can't find something nature left behind, this spring. I've heard that to clean bones, that have already been taken care of by nature, one should put the bones or skeleton in bleach ? Your thoughts ?

Regards,

Gypsy

I think bleach might damage fragile bones. The most basic technique to clean bones is maceration, which is simply allowing bacteria to do the job. This is speeded up by leaving the object in warm water but it takes time - and can smell unpleasant if there's still flesh attached. My husband successfully cleaned a very fragile bird skull recently and it's now a 'spirit house' in our greenhouse. You can't be squeamish if you want to clean skulls left behind by nature because at some point you have to poke into the skull to mash up remaining brain tissue.

Edit: - No, I've just been informed that peroxide is often used to clean bones, so ignore the first bit.

I think bleach might damage fragile bones. The most basic technique to clean bones is maceration, which is simply allowing bacteria to do the job. This is speeded up by leaving the object in warm water but it takes time - and can smell unpleasant if there's still flesh attached. My husband successfully cleaned a very fragile bird skull recently and it's now a 'spirit house' in our greenhouse. You can't be squeamish if you want to clean skulls left behind by nature because at some point you have to poke into the skull to mash up remaining brain tissue.

Edit: - No, I've just been informed that peroxide is often used to clean bones, so ignore the first bit.

Peroxide ...as in Hydrogen Peroxide ? The reason I referenced bleach is that a male friend of my Husband bleaches out deer skulls that he's found, and uses them for decoration around his house, they are white white from the bleach. I've never done it, so I'm full of curiosity. Thanks Absithe.

Regards,

Gypsy

Peroxide ...as in Hydrogen Peroxide ? The reason I referenced bleach is that a male friend of my Husband bleaches out deer skulls that he's found, and uses them for decoration around his house, they are white white from the bleach. I've never done it, so I'm full of curiosity. Thanks Absithe.

Regards,

Gypsy

Yes, hydrogen peroxide. Be careful how long - they get whiter and whiter as you go and do become more brittle as they go. Absinthe, that's what I've read, too - maceration (warm bucket of water that is changed each day that still smells like ass and old cheese and fish, once it doesn't, the bacteria have done the job) is the easiest if you have aplace for it to stew that's out of the way. There is also a type of beetle that people really into this sort of thing keep to do the work in shorter periods of time. Then the peroxide to kill the bacteria. (I would think bleach would dissolve the calcium too much?)

Beautiful but whose?

On the page Vermillion linked it says:

""Human Bone Price Increase***

While it has not been too long since I was forced to raise human bone prices, I must do it again. Supplies have continued to fall since China, the only country recently shipping significant numbers of human bones, passed a law outlawing their export right before the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

After a much longer period of exporting very large quantities of human bones, India outlawed export from that country in 1985. A large percentage of the current stock in the U.S. came from those two sources, and with no new country exporting to fill the demand, the price has increased very markedly. Hence, we have had to raise prices on all of our natural human bone products as of 3-1-10. - Ronald Cauble, Owner."

So my assumption is that they are an Indian or Chinese person's.

On the page Vermillion linked it says:

""Human Bone Price Increase***

While it has not been too long since I was forced to raise human bone prices, I must do it again. Supplies have continued to fall since China, the only country recently shipping significant numbers of human bones, passed a law outlawing their export right before the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

After a much longer period of exporting very large quantities of human bones, India outlawed export from that country in 1985. A large percentage of the current stock in the U.S. came from those two sources, and with no new country exporting to fill the demand, the price has increased very markedly. Hence, we have had to raise prices on all of our natural human bone products as of 3-1-10. - Ronald Cauble, Owner."

So my assumption is that they are an Indian or Chinese person's.

In addition to some ideas I wouldn't want to discuss on the public area, this comes to mind: http://www.tradition...h__1#entry70045

Thanks for the link Aloe. Much appreciated. I did'nt elaborate much I know with my questions.

Why would one use a human skull with Bhuddist carvings from India or China, that is for sale on the internet?

My thought is, first who is making a load of cash from someone's skulls (nice) and secondly, is this a nice piece to be displayed on the bookshelf?

Forgive me for being cynical.

Thanks for the link Aloe. Much appreciated. I did'nt elaborate much I know with my questions.

Why would one use a human skull with Bhuddist carvings from India or China, that is for sale on the internet?

My thought is, first who is making a load of cash from someone's skulls (nice) and secondly, is this a nice piece to be displayed on the bookshelf?

Forgive me for being cynical.

While I am not Bhuddist, I do like their art and symbols, so that wouldn't bother me. While whoever shipped these from their home probably did profit unfairly from their sale, I can't help that. I just wouldn't have a problem with purchasing one. Operations could be undertaken to find out about the spirit of the person whom the skull belonged to, their permission to use their bone could be asked, or if someone was so inclined, the spirit could be detatched from the bone and then what it represents would no longer be bound to it's original owner. If I bought this to use as a ritual item (which is about the only way I would shell out that much cash) it wouldn't be displayed on a bookshelf.

It's your right to be cynical if you choose to be. *shrug* :)

While I am not Bhuddist, I do like their art and symbols, so that wouldn't bother me. While whoever shipped these from their home probably did profit unfairly from their sale, I can't help that. I just wouldn't have a problem with purchasing one. Operations could be undertaken to find out about the spirit of the person whom the skull belonged to, their permission to use their bone could be asked, or if someone was so inclined, the spirit could be detatched from the bone and then what it represents would no longer be bound to it's original owner. If I bought this to use as a ritual item (which is about the only way I would shell out that much cash) it wouldn't be displayed on a bookshelf.

It's your right to be cynical if you choose to be. *shrug* :)

Yes, perhaps so. Thanks for the honest reply.

If it's weird, I'm in the same boat, Vermilion! I just retrieved a past feline friend and ball python from the backyard. My husband (good sport that he is) looked up the cleaning process on the internet, somewhere. He found 20 vol. peroxide to be the suggested medium. You can buy it in beauty supply stores-it's used in the process of bleaching hair when you don't purchase the ready-made hair color. Synchronicity again........I have been wondering if there were other ways of finishing the cleaning process. :smile:

Elizabeth

If it's weird, I'm in the same boat, Vermilion! [...] Synchronicity again........I have been wondering if there were other ways of finishing the cleaning process. :smile:

Elizabeth

Groovy beans - please let me know how they turn out! (Weird how things pop up when you need them, huh?)

They are cool looking; I prefer the so-called "Celtic" skulls myself, but of which I've never seen a real one.

Personally, just speaking for myself, I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone's.. err.. ex-head in my house. I'd have no link or connection to them, they never knew me and vice-versa, and they didn't ask to be there; also, their bones are not at "rest", for what that's worth. I use the term rarely, but I think I'd just get a bad vibe from having such a thing around, I think. Like they'd haunt me or something. I don't know, it just seems disrespectful to the person it once was.

But, whatever floats your boat, if someone is comfortable with a real human skull in their possession, more power to you I guess.

Animal skulls, OTOH.. not a problem for me.

They are cool looking; I prefer the so-called "Celtic" skulls myself, but of which I've never seen a real one.

Personally, just speaking for myself, I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone's.. err.. ex-head in my house. I'd have no link or connection to them, they never knew me and vice-versa, and they didn't ask to be there; also, their bones are not at "rest", for what that's worth. I use the term rarely, but I think I'd just get a bad vibe from having such a thing around, I think. Like they'd haunt me or something. I don't know, it just seems disrespectful to the person it once was.

But, whatever floats your boat, if someone is comfortable with a real human skull in their possession, more power to you I guess.

Animal skulls, OTOH.. not a problem for me.

Exactly! I felt weird enough wearing human hair extensions!

Archived