71 replies to this topic

#21 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

I will mix a batch of this also...

I always ache, especially my legs and I am interested in finding out how it affects me...

#22 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

No pain in my ears when I woke up this morning! Took another tablespoon when I got up, it definitely does gel, it was like a very well set jello in the jar. lol

My ear was hurting again when I woke up this morning and I took a spoonful and it has eased somewhat now.

Wyrd do you find that this separates after it gels? Yesterday morning mine was very well jelled and I stirred it as I took it, today it's completely seperated with pink/white substance in the bottom half, and a clear liquid with an orange color on the top.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#23 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

My ear was hurting again when I woke up this morning and I took a spoonful and it has eased somewhat now.

Wyrd do you find that this separates after it gels? Yesterday morning mine was very well jelled and I stirred it as I took it, today it's completely seperated with pink/white substance in the bottom half, and a clear liquid with an orange color on the top.

Hi Aloe,

Do you refrigerate it? if so that will make it gel faster, you could always put the gel and liquid back into the blender or you can use an electric mixer to get it back to a liquid state. The jell is mostly composed of fiber and pulp, and the clear liquid is some of the onion and ginger juice. This mix is not as strong as the juiced version and the fiber will slow the absorption, so you should take a little more than you would normally do.

How much do you take presently Aloe ?

Btw juicing doesn't cause the same gelling problem as blending , I know that that doesn't help you now, but it worth knowing for the future :)

I hope this helps

:)

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#24 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hi Aloe,

Do you refrigerate it? if so that will make it gel faster, you could always put the gel and liquid back into the blender or you can use an electric mixer to get it back to a liquid state. The jell is mostly composed of fiber and pulp, and the clear liquid is some of the onion and ginger juice. This mix is not as strong as the juiced version and the fiber will slow the absorption, so you should take a little more than you would normally do.

How much do you take presently Aloe ?

Btw juicing doesn't cause the same gelling problem as blending , I know that that doesn't help you now, but it worth knowing for the future :)

I hope this helps

I did refridgerate it, and I've been taking a tablespoon at a time. It didn't seem as strong as I expected it to be, which makes sense now that you mentioned that the blended version isn't as potent.

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I need to invest in a juicer! :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#25 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

I did mine with a juicer and it doesn't jell, I have been taking it for two days, but as I have no real ailments that I know of, I can't say if it is doing anything for me yet, I want the side effects (thicker hair and nails) lol. ;)

#26 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I need to invest in a juicer! :)

The wonders of technology! Used to be juicers cost around US$400. Thinking I'd give this recipe a go, I picked one up at Walmart today for $40. (They had a cheaper one but it won't handle vegetables.) I can see where it would be a major pain to do this with a blender & then strain. The juicer was a mess!

First teaspoon only took about a minute to feel - it definitely did a blood rush but y'know, hot flashes aren't something I need help with right now! Still, I'll give it a few days to see if I notice anything further. I'm one of those nasty smokers so any help with those effects is always welcome. Didn't taste bad, either, which is a bonus.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#27 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

I just made this - and made a HUGE mess and lost half of it due to my blender blowing up on me. It was blending away and all of a sudden stuff started coming out of the bottom of the canister so I picked it up to see if it needed tightened, held it over the sink to tighten it, and before I could touch it the bottom fell off and half my stuff fell into the sink. :censored: I saved about half of it and finished up with the ginger in the food processor and then strained. (I used doubled cheesecloth and it worked OK...) I took a spoonful the first time and felt a nice ginger warmth, waited a bit and then took a tablespoon. Feels good on the stomach, no major changes yet though. I've been having some difficulty with my ears in the mornings so I'm hoping this will help out when I get up tomorrow. :)

Oh, my local supermarket doesn't carry organic produce, so I wasn't able to get organic stuff.

Also forgot to add that my little one came by and took a drink of the juice while I was cleaning up the blender mess, it looked so pinky-orange and pretty she thought it would taste sweet, poor thing got quite a shock. lol

The mental images i was getting here cracked me up !!! Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me lol!

#28 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

The mental images i was getting here cracked me up !!! Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me lol!

Ha, yeah unfortunately things like this are a common occurance around here. If I can do magic you'd think I could prepare food without making a gawd awful mess.... :rolleyes_witch:

My 'juice' turned so chunky and nasty looking that I've tossed it till I get a juicer so I can do this the right way. Just randomly chewing on a fresh piece of ginger in the meantime...

#29 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I've been using it since the weekend. The day I started it my nose started running and I was sneezing a lot - would have thought I was getting a cold excpet that I didn't feel sick and my cigs didn't taste off. Anyway, the running and sneezing kept up (and has finally let off today) and I haven't had any sinus headaches and my head feels very clear. I wonder if that was my sinuses clearing themselves?

M

#30 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

Word to the wise....DO NOT use this while on a separate detox fast. Wait until you're done fasting to try this!
:scared:

*applying ice to traumatized ass*

#31 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ha, yeah unfortunately things like this are a common occurance around here. If I can do magic you'd think I could prepare food without making a gawd awful mess.... :rolleyes_witch:

My 'juice' turned so chunky and nasty looking that I've tossed it till I get a juicer so I can do this the right way. Just randomly chewing on a fresh piece of ginger in the meantime...

Aloe,
you have totally convinced me that I am NOT trying this until I get one too - I am such a messy cook that the blender method is bound to turn out BADDDDDD! :sickwitch:

#32 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Word to the wise....DO NOT use this while on a separate detox fast. Wait until you're done fasting to try this!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I mixed up a batch today, using my blender...

I don't have anything I can strain it with, so I have a glass of smoothie, that actually goes down very well... Smells horrendous and tastes worse, but, truth is in the eating as they say...

I need to be a little careful, due to having a stomach issue, but, doesn't seem to affect it too much...

#34 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Oh no! LOL!!!!!!! :blobfire:

#35 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

Look, I've read all the above posts and I've thought about it and I so want to try this. But I'm such a wimp; will someone please tell me I can do it without the onion!:cauldron04:

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#36 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

. And I think if one added olive oil and garilc cloves and walnuts it would be a very nice salad dressing!

M

Although looking at it in that light, Michele makes it sound a lot more attractive. It would certainly be more palatable that way rather than jellyish on a spoon. I'm inclined to think I'd rather try eye of newt (etc) than raw red onion juice on a spoon.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#37 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

Although looking at it in that light, Michele makes it sound a lot more attractive. It would certainly be more palatable that way rather than jellyish on a spoon. I'm inclined to think I'd rather try eye of newt (etc) than raw red onion juice on a spoon.

It's not that bad, the grapefruit and ginger help out. And it's definitely easier when it's fresh, before it sits in the fridge all night.

#38 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

I cannot believe how this forum always delivers an answer within days of a problem/question occurring in my life. A few days ago someone close to me was saying how their 5-year-old is suffering from asthma that seems to only be getting worse and nothing is helping. I have sent her these instructions and asked her to let me know if it helps. Thank you so much for the recipe, I have high hopes for this one.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#39 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hi Absinthe,

Unfortunately the recipe is a synergistic combination of all three ingredients, and as such it will only work when complete. The taste is subjective and really doesn't last very long, but if you want the benefits, I can suggest that you get some natural peppermints (real, not flavored).

Wyrd

#40 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

I cannot believe how this forum always delivers an answer within days of a problem/question occurring in my life. A few days ago someone close to me was saying how their 5-year-old is suffering from asthma that seems to only be getting worse and nothing is helping. I have sent her these instructions and asked her to let me know if it helps. Thank you so much for the recipe, I have high hopes for this one.

Your welcome

Wyrd