Lemon Meringue Pie

Xaviera

I'm posting this pic because I am absolutely shitty at cooking/baking or anything traditionally housewifey. Nevertheless, I had a sudden urge to bake a Lemon Meringue Pie and here it is! If anyone wants the recipe, I'd be delighted and proud to pass it on.

aww - that looks very yummy - ~my mum is a great cook and when we were kids she went through a phase of making these - we had them most nights for weeks! I still love them though....mmmm!!!!! (Aren't I supposed to be on a diet - Nehhhhh! :mdance: )

p.s. I especially love it if the meringue is a bit crunchy on top and chewy underneath..!:D

Here’s my Lemon Meringue Pie recipe

Please try it; It looks tricky but I think you’ll be amazed at the results.

It’s in three parts: No doctor will approve! High sugar, high cholesterol, high pleasure!

The pastry base,

70 grams self-raising flour

130 grams plain (all-purpose flour)

30 grams sugar

120 grams butter

1 egg handle the pastry as little as possible as if it gets warm it’ll break up in your hands.

Lemon filling

56 grams cornflour (corn starch)

170 grams sugar

180 mls lemon juice I used bottled lemon juice, but real lemons are best and added zest gives it a nice tang.

220 mls water If your filling looks too thick after heating, add a little more water and stir.

60 grams butter

3 egg yolks follow the Terminator melted policeman rule (see below)

Meringue topping

3 egg whites

170 grams caster sugar (I used granulated and it was fine)

The order of things:

It’s best to prepare your pastry first to give it an hour to chill in the fridge. Then chill it to let it rest again after you roll it out - or it might shrink while baking.

The filling should still be hot when it goes onto the base.

The meringue can be whisked at any stage as it really held its shape well for ages when I did it.

PASTRY

Break up your butter into bits and crumble it into the flour between your finger tips until it’s even and ‘crumby’. Add your sugar and rub into the crumb mixture. (I added a few crushed cornflakes but that was some sort of mad whim -- gave it a nice crunch, though.)

Briefly whisk an egg with a fork (it doesn’t need a serious whisking) and add to your mixture. Bring it all together into a dough. If it won’t ‘bind’ add a few drops of milk at a time until it’s a ball of dough. Leave it in the fridge for an hour while you prepare the filling. (I didn’t - but I’m impatient.)

When your filling is ready, roll out your pastry and gently place in a greased 9inch wide pie dish. (The end result will be quite high so a deeper dish is okay).

If you do things the proper way (I don’t) you’ll have fancy cooking beans to blind-bake your empty pastry base. If not, just shove it in the oven at 180 degrees until it’s lightly golden round the edges.

LEMON FILLING

Put your cornflour, water and lemon juice in a saucepan, stir it together until the cornflour has dissolved into the liquid before putting it on the heat then heat while stirring until it’s hot.

If you’re using real lemons, add a little grated zest.

Heat until it thickens, stirring just enough to stop it sticking. It really seems like it won’t thicken but it does! Don’t stir it continuously, just watch it and the appearance will change; you’ll see it gathering and getting thicker like the melted policeman in ‘Terminator’. But do stir it a bit to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan. When it becomes ‘jammy’ and smooth, remove it from the heat.

Add your butter and egg yolks and stir over the heat until it’s even and smooth.

Pour this mixture onto your pastry base and smooth it around leaving a little edge free.

MERINGUE TOPPING

I was taught this at school by sadistic nuns before electric mixtures were invented. Don’t attempt it with a hand whisk; you’ll just damage yourself.

Big, deep, clean bowl. Electric mixer. So easy!

My mum bought me an egg separator - but I’ve always just tipped the yolk from one half of the shell to the other over a bowl until all the white has slipped into the bowl.

Whisk your whites until they become white and frothy and hold a ‘peak’ shape when you lift the mixer out. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whisk some more. The idea is to whisk it until you can’t feel ‘grittiness’ of the sugar if you rub it between finger and thumb - but I actually think a bit of crunch is quite pleasant.

Pour the meringue over the topping. Be careful, it slides like a mad avalanche! Dip the back of a spoon up and down on the meringue to give it ‘peaks’. The higher bits will go golden and crispy so be as messy and you like. You should spread the meringue around the edges of the pastry rim.

In the oven at 180 degrees until the meringue has golden-brown tipped peaks.

ENJOY!!!

Edited by Absinthe

Yumma Yumma as my neice would say ;) Looks delicious well done :clap: Cant bake for shit me lol!

I can't bake for shit either - but I will bake for money!!!! (I know, I need to have a lie down and reconsider my jokes in future...)

anyway - the kids brought home lemon merinque pie from nursery today - spooky or what! really tasty - I am adding the ingredients to my shopping list this friday (as well as the ginger root, onion and grapefruit...):hearts2:

'edited' 'cause I had to reconsider my spelling too.

Edited by winter night

my hubbie and eldest wee girl made this for my birthday, and it was yummy! we cheated a bit on the shortcrust pasty - got the ready roll stuff)- the thing turned out huge!

Reminded me of eating it for weeks as a kid, and why I never complained either!

We sliced and frozen the rest to be eaten next weekend......

...not that its going to last that long - thanks for the 'blast from my past' Absinthe! :chakrahearts:

• 5 months later...