#1 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Hi gang,

I just wanted to make a one time announcement that my new, dedicated Rune forum is up and running for anyone interested in some in-depth rune discussion, including associated lore and history, as well as the Sagas and Eddas, Norse mythology, etc..
There are plenty of forums out there on the Tarot, or Astrology, but I couldn't find a dedicated Rune forum on the Internet (well, okay, I found ONE but it's not in English, and another great source is pay-only and is actually a mailing list, not a forum, per se :cool: )
There were times when I really wanted to sink my teeth into discussing certain runes, but all the most relevant forums I found were primarily Asatru or Odinist sites, where the rune section was but one small facet, not the primary topic, and relatively quiet.
So I figured.. if I build it, they will come...
I hope!
If anyone is interested in joining, (which of course is free) the process works like this: fill out the registration form; it then has to be approved, then you are sent an activation link. I didn't automate things in order to keep out spambots, who nearly overran the last forum I tried to make.

Stop by and let me know what you think! It will probably always be something of a work in progress, steadily improving, but I think it's' ready for prime time now.
Hope to see some of you there.

http://www.phrets.com/runeforum

-Grymm

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

I'm IN! Been looking for a place to talk about 'em!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Guest_willynilly_*

Guest_willynilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

What a coincidence I just got my runes in the mail today. I am going to start learning them. What a great place to start.

#4 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Coolness, you two are now in.
I waived the activation email for you.

9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:10 AM

I registered on the forum. I have used the runes quite a bit, but feel like I could learn a lot more about them and using them better. Looking forward to learning.

#6 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

this sounds right up my street - will try to get in for a look during the day! have so much work to do, but I can't resist taking a peep at this! :vhappywitch:

edited to say - just had a peep and registered - this looks like a good one, and have already learned something concerning the blank rune which is in my set. (yikes!)

Edited by winter night, 15 February 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#7 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

after viewing owlblinks runes I was planning to make some - the blank one was going to be a piece of 'P' for me. fun spoiled. :nana: ;)

Edited by winter night, 15 February 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#8 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Oooh, I'll definately be checking this out-love my Runes! I really MUST get off of my rear and get going on making a set. I would much prefer to use a set that I have made myself, instead of the store-bought set that I currently use. Can't wait to take a look-thanks Grym!

Elizabeth

#9 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

In, in, and in!

Having a blank rune is good for one thing- if you lose one, you can reproduce it on the blank. ;)

Runes can be a fickle subject. There's so much room for interpretation, far more than the Tarot, IMO.
I tend to be something of a purist. That is, I don't bring in eastern or esoteric praxes to their use, I prefer to pretty much stick with the historic, factual documentation. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of it left. There are the poems, of course, and mentions of them in the Norse Sagas and Eddas, but not much else.

Technically speaking, even the most commonly cited historic reference for the use of Runes in divination, "Germania", by Roman historian Tacitus, doesn't actually provide the name of the wooden staves used for casting lots in his account of the Germanic peoples. He never actually calls them "Runes". He doesn't refer them to by any name.
However, we pretty much assume that's what they were using, and it's a very logical conclusion, given proper context, just not actually provable.

#10 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Oooh, I'll definately be checking this out-love my Runes! I really MUST get off of my rear and get going on making a set. I would much prefer to use a set that I have made myself, instead of the store-bought set that I currently use. Can't wait to take a look-thanks Grym!

Elizabeth

You'll find yourself falling in love with the ones you make. I started out with a cheap, ceramic store-bought set (yep, had a blank rune which now lives in my junk drawer). Tried to make a set out of wood but after using the ceramic, they were too light. So I splurged (big time) & bought 24 blue-lace agate cabochons and carved those. Now I can't imagine using anything else. Grabbed the old ceramic ones the other week just for grins & hated the feel.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#11 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

You'll find yourself falling in love with the ones you make. I started out with a cheap, ceramic store-bought set (yep, had a blank rune which now lives in my junk drawer). Tried to make a set out of wood but after using the ceramic, they were too light. So I splurged (big time) & bought 24 blue-lace agate cabochons and carved those. Now I can't imagine using anything else. Grabbed the old ceramic ones the other week just for grins & hated the feel.

Those sound lovely, MW! I guess it's a good thing that my store-bought set is made out of the same kind of wood that I am making my own set from. I shouldn't be disappointed with the "feel". Now you have me thinking of using stones some day.............sigh.

#12 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

I've said this to Grym on the PM but I'll say it here again - I think its a great thing to have a dedicated site for runes, as they (and their practices) are so diverse. Heading over there now to register!!
Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#13 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

hooray!
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#14 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

hooray!

I find your avatar curiously appropriate, Vermillion!
According to the Norse Myths, (short version) man was created by Odin and his brothers, Vé and Vili, when they came across an ash tree and an elm tree, and breathed life into them. Ash (or Askr) became man, and Embla became woman.
Is that why you chose that avatar?

#15 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

I find your avatar curiously appropriate, Vermillion!
According to the Norse Myths, (short version) man was created by Odin and his brothers, Vé and Vili, when they came across an ash tree and an elm tree, and breathed life into them. Ash (or Askr) became man, and Embla became woman.
Is that why you chose that avatar?

...are you offering me credit for something thoughful!? I'll take it!!! :bowblue:

uuuunfortunately I did not consciously choose this avatar for that reason.

~ V ~

#16 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

...are you offering me credit for something thoughtful!? I'll take it!!! :bowblue:

uuuunfortunately I did not consciously choose this avatar for that reason.

lol - you should've taken it!

Hey, that guy's got wood!
ba dum dum

#17 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

lol - you should've taken it!

Hey, that guy's got wood!
ba dum dum

:roflhard: GOOD one! haha

~ V ~

#18 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:37 AM

I have registered. I love runes, have a store bought set and a set I made with beach pebbles (I have an affinity with the sea so it seemed appropriate.) I also use them in spell work so it's nice to have a dedicated site to discuss them!

#19 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

It's been a long time coming, and overdue, but for those who wanted the Anglo Saxon runes section, I finally got motivated today and finished it.
Note that roughly half of the nine extra runes have no mention in the classic OE poem (and of course no existence in the Old Norwegian or Norse poems).
So.. I haven't got much there other than the symbol, the name, and the meaning and phonetic that is believed to have been associated with the rune.
I'll leave it for others to expound on them however they see fit.

(forum link is in my sig)

#20 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

I just added the "Mead Hall" too, a place for idle anything-goes type of banter, since it was asked for.
It took me a while to decide on whether to put it there or not, but at this point, I can't see it hurting any.