everyday witchcraft

ElizabethNicks

I am an avid reader and any poor sod who wanders over to my bookshelf (which is floor-to-ceiling and takes up the whole width of an 8 foot wall)

I am so jealous...lol. I would love to have a library or even a wall for my books, but I'm just starting out in life and my bookshelf is waist high and 3 feet wide. Someday...

I am an avid reader and any poor sod who wanders over to my bookshelf (which is floor-to-ceiling and takes up the whole width of an 8 foot wall) takes one look at the titles and says "damn, what are you, like, a witch or something?" But my home is my castle. It is surrounded in and by everything I enjoy and love and few people who do not know me get invited in. If they don't like what they see, fuck 'em (or not, lol).

M

Hear, Hear . . . most excellent!

Jevne

• 3 years later...

I would say, that if you are a witch, then everything you do and say already does come from the point of view of a witch, because that's what you are.

As far as concrete examples... meditation and trancing are some of the things that are definitely 'everyday' for me. Usually one or the other. I don't always do them intentionally. I don't cast spells everyday in the usual 'spell' form, but I usually end up channelling or focusing energy every day for one thing or another.

Hope this makes sense, feel like I'm not expressing what I mean well. lol

I first read this thread I think before I even made an account at TW, and again around this time last year.

I felt very frustrated at this post!

When I thought "how can I put magic in to my everyday life" my original answer was "just put spells in to everything you do" because to me, witchcraft equated spellwork.

Then I saw all these experienced witches talking about how they don't need to do spells every day to lead a magical life, and I felt very frustrated. I felt like I was really missing something.

I think what I was missing was a deeper understanding of my path and perhaps witchcraft in general.

Instead of looking at the world from a magical perspective I was essentially living a mundane life with spells tacked on top of it. This made magic frustrating for me because instead of living a mundane life with mundane coping skills, I was trying to live a mundane life with undeveloped magical coping skills. Then whenever I neglected to use magic for a while I felt guilty. It wasn't working out.

Recently I have started to view the world from a more magical point of view. I feel a change in my life and my way of thinking from purely mundane to partially magical. Now, instead of being a mundane person trying to shoehorn magic in to her life, I feel like a sort of magical person who uses magic naturally and normally, because it just makes sense and it's becoming a part of my life.

In this sense, I hypothesize that making magic a part of your everyday life involves traveling on your path until you start to transition from living in the mundane world to living in the magical world. I think it would be very difficult to be a witch 'all the time' if you are firmly planted in the mundane and just trying to add magic in on top of that.

I still sometimes struggle to connect with the magical world around me and sometimes it is easy to temporarily lose that connection. But it is much nicer trying to be a witch with a semi-magical perspective than trying to be a witch in a totally mundane perspective :smile:

For me, the change came when I stopped caring about the external world so much and started caring a lot more about myself and what was inside of me. Once I got in touch with the world within, that reflected a change in how I saw the world without. Of course it's still an ongoing process... I have a long way to go. But it is a start.

In this sense, I hypothesize that making magic a part of your everyday life involves traveling on your path until you start to transition from living in the mundane world to living in the magical world. I think it would be very difficult to be a witch 'all the time' if you are firmly planted in the mundane and just trying to add magic in on top of that.

^^ This, 100%.  Also, I think the issue of transitioning from a mundane life to a magical one could spawn one hell of a thought-provoking thread.

I still sometimes struggle to connect with the magical world around me and sometimes it is easy to temporarily lose that connection. But it is much nicer trying to be a witch with a semi-magical perspective than trying to be a witch in a totally mundane perspective :smile:

My Path is still new to me, and I sometimes still struggle with reconciling its practical function within my life.  What I found is that those days I didn't feel that tingly "connection" required for even the tiniest of workings, I would feel frustrated, begin to doubt my skills, and question if I truly had what it takes to be adept at my craft.

Then, I had an epiphany.  In my mundane life three years ago, I had to transition from a conventional career in the sciences to an unconventional career in the arts.  There were some days when I felt zero inspiration.  I'd sit at the computer, blinking at an empty screen, waiting for the spark of creativity to happen so I could get an assigned article done.  Or I'd be hunched over in my studio, paint brush in hand, wanting desperately for that inner voice to hint at what kind of art I could competently create that day.

I don't have that problem anymore, and the resolution I used has since been applied to my crafting as well.  Just do it.  Just start the process.  I can't remember the last time I had a creative block with writing or painting: I just dive right in with the intent of the final product being viable in some way however it all ends up.  There's been times when I just don't feel much power as a witch, but I'll start busying myself and end up finding that 'click', the connection needed to bring my intentions to fruition.  (And, sometimes, it ends up being a completely different working than what I initially set out to accomplish.)  The more I engage myself with the process, the easier it becomes to connect, and the more magical everyday life becomes.

^^ This, 100%.  Also, I think the issue of transitioning from a mundane life to a magical one could spawn one hell of a thought-provoking thread.

This sounds like a thread I could enjoy participating in, if there is one to be found.

Guest monsnoleedra

I agree with Rosered.  Start one yourself Wexler or turn this one into it as it is already about everyday witchcraft.  Though I suspect you'll find the journey is not about changing and observing what you think your going to do but discovering all the things you already do but never related to a magical life.  Drawing a bath can be a magical experience in and of itself if you stop to think about what you wish the bath to do in terms of purifying, easing pain and stimulating the mind while relaxed (journey work upon the material plain).

Edited to add:

From a kitchen witch perspective what is more magical than the spellwork that goes into preparing a meal for your family or yourself.  Weaving intent, presence and your own personal touch into everything you prepare.  Not just the before preparations of getting it all together.  But the cutting, cleaning, preparations of your tools.  The energy that is contained in each physical touch as this or that herbs, spice, etc is added.  The sense or manifestation of your powers as you look, smell, taste and feel the development of your potion (ie meal) to know when it is just right, to turn up or lower the temperature.  To know by your senses when it is time to add the other ingrediants and what order, how much.

Granted that is from a kitchen witch perspective or what some call a hearth witch.  But there is magic in everything one just has to pause and think about where their magic goes in my humble opinion.

Edited by monsnoleedra