Pan's Labrynth

Aloe

Though I've thought this was a children's movie, I went and read some of the 5 Star Reviews. I had some E-bay bucks left in my account from fabric shopping, so I thought what the hell, since I got a brand new copy w/ special additions for $ 1.67 including shipping, I bought it. I hope it's as good as all have been saying it is.

Regards,

Gypsy

If you have kids, don't let them watch this! There's a scene were the tyrannical captain interrogates a local, and literally bashes the guys face in with the bottom of a bottle, driving his nose into his skull and brutually killing him right in front of his father, who he then shoots dead. I couldn't wait until that Captain got his.

Great movie though, wonderfully dark and imaginative, especially perhaps the troll that eats children.

oh crap.. I just saw that you watched already, so you know.

Oh well. <_<

If you have kids, don't let them watch this! There's a scene were the tyrannical captain interrogates a local, and literally bashes the guys face in with the bottom of a bottle, driving his nose into his skull and brutually killing him right in front of his father, who he then shoots dead. I couldn't wait until that Captain got his.

Great movie though, wonderfully dark and imaginative, especially perhaps the troll that eats children.

oh crap.. I just saw that you watched already, so you know.

Oh well. dry.gif

I agree 100 % ! Not for children, at all. I 'thought' it WAS a children's movie, boy was I wrong. And that scene you reference Grymdycche, I had to close my eyes, it was brutal and unexpected. All in all I liked it very much. Was that a troll ? With eyeballs in his palms? The nearest thing I've imagined were the trolls from LOTR, didn't know trolls could be skinny, gimpy, drag your leg type things. lol. I didn't like him snapping the heads off the fae, made my eyebrows furrow.

Regards,

Gypsy

I agree 100 % ! Not for children, at all. I 'thought' it WAS a children's movie, boy was I wrong. And that scene you reference Grymdycche, I had to close my eyes, it was brutal and unexpected. All in all I liked it very much. Was that a troll ? With eyeballs in his palms? The nearest thing I've imagined were the trolls from LOTR, didn't know trolls could be skinny, gimpy, drag your leg type things. lol. I didn't like him snapping the heads off the fae, made my eyebrows furrow.

Regards,

Gypsy

I found it frustrating that I couldn't let my eight-year-old granddaughter watch some of it. She'd have loved the way the insect transformed seamlessly into a fairy. (She totally believes in my garden fairies). But, of course, I couldn't risk her seeing other parts of it. I'm long past being a soppy person but I did find the ending very moving.

Sorry, I repeated myself from earlier in the thread. It's my age; I repeat things.

It's my age; I repeat things.

It's my age....you get the point.

Edited by Absinthe

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely one of my favourites, I want to watch it again now.

I had to close my eyes for the bottle smashing scene, not one for the children which is a shame because there are some amazing bits in there.

It reminds me of Neil Gaiman's work actually, that mix of darkness and childlike fantasy.

Pan's Labyrinth IS my favorite movie! The soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous, the cinematography is breathtaking, and the story really keeps you on edge. I actually bought the movie on impulse without seeing it first, so I wasn't sure what I was in for. I was pleasantly surprised.

The bottle scene is the only part I have problems with. I saw that the first time, and I was horrified. I still kind of close my eyes and plug my ears whenever that scene comes up, because it is both grotesque for the eyes and ears (*crunch*...*smash*...*thud*...*squish*).

The Pale Man was awesome, though! That whole scene was candy for my imagination. woot.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Guillermo del Toro did an amazing job on this film. I thought his take on creatures was visually stunning. The story kept me quite entrapped for awhile. And with me movies are hit or miss, meaning if I don't like it within the first 30 minutes I usually fall asleep. From the very beginning to the end this film kept me entertained just wish I could find it on blu ray since my previous copy well it's no longer with us. As for The Devils Backbone never had a chance to watch it

-Jest

• 1 year later...