38 replies to this topic

#1 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

Saw this movie a few years ago and then again recently, LOVE it! The theme of the movie is very magical, magic books, magic portals, fairies, etc. There's even a healing mandrake fed with blood. It's in spanish though, so if you don't speak spanish be prepared to read the subtitles.

Anyone else seen this?

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

Yes, I saw it and loved it. And I definitely don't consider it a children's movie, either. There were a lot of adult themes and gore in the movie for anyone who has kids. Very, very good movie.

M

#3 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

I may have to look this one up to celebrate being done my assignements! I'll let you know what I think... :)
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#4 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Yes, I saw it and loved it. And I definitely don't consider it a children's movie, either. There were a lot of adult themes and gore in the movie for anyone who has kids. Very, very good movie.

M

Yes I forgot to mention this, I definitely wouldn't let children watch it.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#5 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Wonderful film! And it can be appreciated on so many levels. There are bits of it that I wanted my granddaughter (age 8) to see for the sheer beauty and 'easy natural-ness' of the magic. But of course bits of it that I certainly wouldn't let her see. Guillaume del Toro (probably wrong spelling) also made a wonderful ghosty film set in a Spanish orphanage.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#6 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

Guillaume del Toro (probably wrong spelling) also made a wonderful ghosty film set in a Spanish orphanage.

Do you know the name of it? Sounds like something I'd like to see.

#7 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:30 AM

Do you know the name of it? Sounds like something I'd like to see.

'The Devil's Backbone'. Yes, I think you'd enjoy it.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#8 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:51 AM

Saw this movie a few years ago and then again recently, LOVE it! The theme of the movie is very magical, magic books, magic portals, fairies, etc. There's even a healing mandrake fed with blood. It's in spanish though, so if you don't speak spanish be prepared to read the subtitles.

Anyone else seen this?

Yes, Ive seen this film.. Really liked it.

#9 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:06 AM

Anyone else seen this?

Saw it & loved it! Also saw the orphanage, both movies were wonderful. :-)

#10 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

this is a fantastic film, been a while since I last watched it - going to dig it out again soon :chakrahearts:

#11 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Guillaume del Toro (probably wrong spelling) also made a wonderful ghosty film set in a Spanish orphanage.

That reminded me of The Orphanage, which is also a decent mystery thriller/horror film, worth watching if you like ghosty films.

Pan's Labyrinth is a beautiful film indeed... gonna watch it again soon.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#12 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

I love Del Torro films. I like the way he creates atmosphere-works for me. I loved Pan's Labyrinth, though I loved Cronos too.
'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#13 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

Anyone else seen this?

just to add - its so engrossing that you forget about the subtitles, the film really draws you.
I actually forgot that it had subtitles when remembering this film, so don't be put off if you don't like subtitled films and cant speak Spanish! :cheers:

#14 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

The Devil's Backbone is one of my favourite movies of all time. And Pan gave me the chills and the horrors, so it must have been good. Del Toro's movies are particularly wonderful because the bad guys are so very very bad and up until the very last minute you fear that they will triumph. And his Spanish aesthetic really has no comparison - so lovely and lovingly shot. As was mentioned, you really 'live' these movies as you watch and not speaking the language becomes a non-issue as you melt into the story. I know what I am doing this evening now. :)

#15 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

As was mentioned, you really 'live' these movies as you watch and not speaking the language becomes a non-issue as you melt into the story.

Totally agree. Subtitles don't bother me, but they annoy the crap out of my husband. Pan's Labrynth is the only movie so far with subtitles that he really enjoyed.

#16 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:43 AM

I initially couldn't find the thread and when I did, moved it to the proper forum.

Just finished watching it. What an amazing movie! Unfortunately, my Spanish is rusty enough that I had to read the subtitles but nonetheless, the reading didn't detract from anything. Have saved it to watch again sometime. I think there are nuances in there that one only picks up with repeated viewing.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#17 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

One of my favourite films, we watched it just the other day. I think I may have mentioned this before on this thread, but I did like that they mentioned the healing spell with the mandrake in the milk and drop of blood - I have come across that spell before somewhere, but for the life of me cant remember where - they must have done their research.

I initially couldn't find the thread and when I did, moved it to the proper forum.

Just finished watching it. What an amazing movie! Unfortunately, my Spanish is rusty enough that I had to read the subtitles but nonetheless, the reading didn't detract from anything. Have saved it to watch again sometime. I think there are nuances in there that one only picks up with repeated viewing.

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#18 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

One of my favourite films, we watched it just the other day. I think I may have mentioned this before on this thread, but I did like that they mentioned the healing spell with the mandrake in the milk and drop of blood - I have come across that spell before somewhere, but for the life of me cant remember where - they must have done their research.

It's an old one - without looking I think it's from either the Lacnunga or Bald's Leechbook and I'd say probably the latter.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#19 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Crud. One of the problems of reading so many books and not having time to catalogue everything one reads. It's not in either the Lacnugna or Bald's Leechbook. I've got a reference to that formula being used in Germany but where I got that information from isn't listed. I'll find the source when I least expect it, I suppose.

~ Henri Frederic Amiel

#20 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Good day, all.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect of Pan's Labyrinth upon first viewing but was pleasantly surprised - it is one of my favorites from recent years! The visuals were stunning - just wonderfully dark. The subtitles didn't really bother me - my Spanish is just sufficient to help me get the general idea, so the subtitles were a must.

Which reminds me - probably time to break that one out and watch it again!

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."