Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird

Aloe

Has anyone read this book? I have only read about half of it and found it fascinating. Anyone who can 'hear' plants would probably enjoy this book. I'm looking forward to finishing it. Their discussions of non-time consuming communication were especially interesting since this is something I've experienced.

Part of it is available for preview: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Plants-Peter-Tompkins/dp/0060915870#reader_0060915870

Own it, read it, loved it. And yes, I can hear plants so it sort of 'validated' me.

I used to hear plants when I was a child, but then I stopped communicating with them because things like this made my parents think I was demon possessed and they had exorcisms done. lol After so long of not communicating I either lost the ability to hear them, or they just stopped speaking to me. I'm working to re-establish that communication.

I used to hear plants when I was a child, but then I stopped communicating with them because things like this made my parents think I was demon possessed and they had exorcisms done. lol After so long of not communicating I either lost the ability to hear them, or they just stopped speaking to me. I'm working to re-establish that communication.

I don't believe they ever stopped speaking to you ... your folks and their antics closed that part of your mind off. It'll come back.

I don't believe they ever stopped speaking to you ... your folks and their antics closed that part of your mind off. It'll come back.

I'm glad this is your take on it being the herb expert you are. :) I'm certainly hoping to hear them again soon.

Hard to explain, really. It depends on the plant ... and probably the human, too. When I first encountered peppermint in my grandmother's back yard eons ago, I got a feeling of icy cold on a hot summer day. (Peppermint is cooling to a human body.) Rosemary sends me images ... which stems to cut (after I've asked permission); when to turn the ones I've got started in the house, which are sitting in front of a window. The maple tree I have an affinity for 'hums' and yet I understand what he's saying. (I say 'he' but they don't have genders as we know them.) I never hear 'words' from any of them but yet we carry on conversations.

Like I said, hard to explain.

Hard to explain, really. It depends on the plant ... and probably the human, too. When I first encountered peppermint in my grandmother's back yard eons ago, I got a feeling of icy cold on a hot summer day. (Peppermint is cooling to a human body.) Rosemary sends me images ... which stems to cut (after I've asked permission); when to turn the ones I've got started in the house, which are sitting in front of a window. The maple tree I have an affinity for 'hums' and yet I understand what he's saying. (I say 'he' but they don't have genders as we know them.) I never hear 'words' from any of them but yet we carry on conversations.

Like I said, hard to explain.

When you mentioned your maple tree, it reminded me of the feeling that I get from certain oaks. There is one, in particular, that give me a visual and tactile "electrical" feeling when I close my eyes and put my hand on it's trunk. It's not unpleasant, on the contrary, it actually feels like a gentle surge of energy and calming. I also get very strong feelings via the scents of certain plants. I have been known to bring in a sprig or two of my Basil plant just to "sniff"......it just gives me a "warm fuzzy" when I smell it. O.K........that sounds really bizarre, I know. :rolleyes_witch:

this is interesting! never thought about it much before, but I have spent a fair bit of time chatting to plants I had in the past, not because people said to do it as it was good for them, I just felt they were listening and I got vibes back from them.. I only have a really old potted yucca plant now, and its got it own wee way about it for sure.

must check this out further - interesting stuff!:chakrahearts:

I've had a battered copy of The Secret Life of Plants on my shelf for 20 years - I need to finally read it!

I definitely feel vibes if not communicate with plants and trees. Plants - I generally need to pay attention but one can sense varying energy and images from a plant. I reiki my plants when I think of it - definitely feel the energy then and get subtle impressions. Trees are more powerful. I've not had an opportunity to be quiet and in a forest in recent months but they certainly give off energy and vibes. I'm sure many have entered a new forest and sensed a strong image, impression. Forests that have been disrupted by humans (i.e. plowing down half of forest to make a highway) always give me a sad, slightly angry hollow sense. Perhaps I'm imagining it?

Forests that have been disrupted by humans (i.e. plowing down half of forest to make a highway) always give me a sad, slightly angry hollow sense. Perhaps I'm imagining it?

Not! When my husband and I were looking for houses or land on which to build a house, we visited several subdivisions that had been essentially clear-cut. The anger & pain was palpable to me. Naturally, none of those places were chosen - I would have been a nervous wreck inside of a week. We eventually settled on a 'subdivision' that had only (bad) roads, 3 houses at the time and no other clearing at all. I tried to supervise the clearing for the house and septic field. Took a LOT of explaining and payment on my part to keep everyone happy. (The contractors thought I was nuts.)

Not! When my husband and I were looking for houses or land on which to build a house, we visited several subdivisions that had been essentially clear-cut. The anger & pain was palpable to me. Naturally, none of those places were chosen - I would have been a nervous wreck inside of a week. We eventually settled on a 'subdivision' that had only (bad) roads, 3 houses at the time and no other clearing at all. I tried to supervise the clearing for the house and septic field. Took a LOT of explaining and payment on my part to keep everyone happy. (The contractors thought I was nuts.)

Have you ever got different feelings from the trees in different places? Like from instance I grew up in the adirondak park in ny. Most of upstate ny is a large array of mountains and forests that have been untouched. Also, their is alot of native american land up there. Since moving down here I feel that the trees are not as lively... if that makes any sense. One of the reasons I'm so homesick. There is little energy in the trees where I'm at which is in a city...its like they are so sleepy an unresponsive. Its different than the sadness although that is there too. Anyone ever felt that?

Have you ever got different feelings from the trees in different places? Like from instance I grew up in the adirondak park in ny. Most of upstate ny is a large array of mountains and forests that have been untouched. Also, their is alot of native american land up there. Since moving down here I feel that the trees are not as lively... if that makes any sense. One of the reasons I'm so homesick. There is little energy in the trees where I'm at which is in a city...its like they are so sleepy an unresponsive. Its different than the sadness although that is there too. Anyone ever felt that?

Yes, trees have different vibes depending on the type, size and location. It is hard to explain, but oaks and maples, which are very common in my area, have totally different "personalities" from each other. Two oaks can also have a different feel to them, if they are in different areas. The oaks in town have presence, but I don't get the same sensation of raw power, that I get from an oak in the woods away from town.

Saying that one "hears" plants can be confusing terminology for someone who does/has not experienced it. I think it is important to point out that this gift is not shared by everyone and is not necessarily a required skill or understanding to practice the Craft. Each of us, experiences the world in a different way. My interactions with the natural world are dictated by emotion and energy sensation (I feel). Others will see, hear, and/or smell the same things that I feel.

If I could "hear" plants, they would probably say to stay the hell away. The plants I have managed not to kill could probably survive a nuclear blast, because they must be tough. I can use plants and herbs, as long as someone else grows them.

Jevne

Guest MissTree

Has anyone read this book? I have only read about half of it and found it fascinating. Anyone who can 'hear' plants would probably enjoy this book. I'm looking forward to finishing it. Their discussions of non-time consuming communication were especially interesting since this is something I've experienced.

Part of it is available for preview: http://www.amazon.co...ader_0060915870

Thank you for posting this! It's going on my "to buy" list. :-)

Yes, trees have different vibes depending on the type, size and location. It is hard to explain, but oaks and maples, which are very common in my area, have totally different "personalities" from each other. Two oaks can also have a different feel to them, if they are in different areas. The oaks in town have presence, but I don't get the same sensation of raw power, that I get from an oak in the woods away from town.

Saying that one "hears" plants can be confusing terminology for someone who does/has not experienced it. I think it is important to point out that this gift is not shared by everyone and is not necessarily a required skill or understanding to practice the Craft. Each of us, experiences the world in a different way. My interactions with the natural world are dictated by emotion and energy sensation (I feel). Others will see, hear, and/or smell the same things that I feel.

If I could "hear" plants, they would probably say to stay the hell away. The plants I have managed not to kill could probably survive a nuclear blast, because they must be tough. I can use plants and herbs, as long as someone else grows them.

Jevne

I have been thinking about that alot lately, about the different personalities of trees that is. Some trees I really dont get anything from and others have more "presence", more energy so to speak. Its interesting. I actually crave to be around more energetic trees. *Sigh....someday.

LMAO about the nuclear blast. Nice....

I have been thinking about that alot lately, about the different personalities of trees that is. Some trees I really dont get anything from and others have more "presence", more energy so to speak. Its interesting. I actually crave to be around more energetic trees. *Sigh....someday.

LMAO about the nuclear blast. Nice....

I completely understand what you mean about "craving" the presence of energetic trees. My husband actually says to me, sometimes, "do you want to go visit your tree?" lol (The big Oak, that I get so much "juice" from, is in a greenspace about fifteen minutes from our home")

I completely understand what you mean about "craving" the presence of energetic trees. My husband actually says to me, sometimes, "do you want to go visit your tree?" lol (The big Oak, that I get so much "juice" from, is in a greenspace about fifteen minutes from our home")

<---Jealous. There are no trees like that around that I have found yet. Your lucky. :cry_witch:

What about an old graveyard? That seems to be the one place, even in a place that is largely devoid of trees, that still has nice big ones.

Not that I have found down here. There aren't even stones really where I'm at. Its all plaques and flowers. Really new graveyards. I know what you are talking about though. I used to walk the graveyards for hours up where I am from. Nice atomosphere there. There is this one that is almost 400 years old and has one part that has great trees and great energy.

There's a dogwood blossom tree with which I've fallen in love. I try to visit it several times a year (it lives in a park that is a bit out of the way). I've noticed over the years, that in a group of dogwoods, it's "My" tree that people visit. Whenever I encounter a couple picnicing or people strolling - it's near this particular tree. One summer I discovered the poor thing had been spray-painted and one of its branches sawed off. Fortunately the park arborist was at the park at the time and I reported the incident and they were able to save the tree. I always give the tree a hug or pat when I see it. I wonder what "it" is that makes this tree so special!