Traditional Witch – Members Code of Conduct
Before we start ….
Use of our forums constitutes acceptance and agreement to our Forum Code of Conduct. If you do not agree to these terms, please contact a member of the Administration Team to have your account disabled. If you violate the Code of Conduct, we reserve the right to terminate all accounts belonging to you without prior notice.
We prefer to advise users of inappropriate behaviour; however, flagrant and repeated violations of our CoC will result in a ban. Our failure to enforce this policy, for whatever reason, shall not be taken as a waiver of our right to do so at any time.
The term “Traditional Witch” covers the forum and its Administration Team, and any communities or other hosted content related to “Traditional Witch”
The term “Administration Team” is applied to all of the Moderators, Global Moderators or Administrators for the purposes of these guidelines
26 January 2011
We created the Code of Conduct to provide a basic understanding of what's allowed and not allowed in our forums. The following are the principle guidelines for the establishment and enforcement of our CoC:
- Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our forum members
- Ensure the privacy of our members and that of others
- Comply with existing laws in the United Kingdom
- Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors
- Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
- No politics;
- No discussion of Wicca
Don’t we believe in free-speech?
While we are committed to the principles of free speech, certain activities may be damaging to the resources or reputation of Traditional Witch and cannot be permitted under the guise of free speech. The resources of Traditional Witch are limited, and abuse of these resources by one user has a negative impact on the entire community.
As a member of our forum, you must participate responsibly. If you have any questions regarding our CoC, please contact the Administration Team via email on “postmaster at traditionalwitch dot net” (replace the ‘at’ and ‘dot’ as appropriate)
Violations of the Code of Conduct
It is extremely important for you to understand that this section of our Code of Conduct isn’t designed to cover every eventuality! We may take action — issue a warning, ban your account(s) and/or IP addresses, lower your post count, delete/edit your post(s)/thread(s), etc. — if your conduct at Traditional Witch is counterproductive to the Code of Conduct’s principle guidelines.
Unauthorised access / Forum Security
The following actions are strictly prohibited:
- Accessing, or attempting to access, the accounts of other users
- Exploiting, or attempting to exploit, bugs, vulnerabilities, or loopholes; whether they are disclosed or undisclosed
- Penetrating, or attempting to penetrate, security measures of Traditional Witch's software or hardware, or electronic communications system
All intrusions will subject all your forum accounts to immediate termination, regardless of whether or not the intrusion results in the corruption, loss, or theft of data
- Users are responsible for the security of their Traditional Witch accounts. Users may not share their passwords or transfer – via any means – their accounts to others without the express permission of the Traditional Witch Forum Management Team. In addition, users are responsible for all activity made by him/her or anyone the user allows to use his/her account.
Usernames must not be in violation of this Code of Conduct. We reserve the right to terminate accounts whose associated usernames are in violation of this Code of Conduct, or are otherwise deemed inappropriate and/or potentially offensive. Users may be invited to register under a new name at our discretion.
Personal Attacks, Harassment and other abuse
Comments or personal attacks towards anyone - staff, forum member, or a visitor who is likely to view it on the forums - is subject to the message being deleted and action taken against the user, regardless of how pertinent or thoughtful the rest of the message might be.
This also includes comments/links/materials that refer to ethnic/national origin, ideological/religious beliefs, gender, sexist, or sexual preference in a demeaning context.
We have no tolerance for discrimination. You are in violation of this rule if the nature of your post discriminates, promotes hate, promotes violence or advocates hatred or discrimination against individuals, groups, races, cultures or organisations because of their ethnic/national origin, skin colour, sexual orientation or culture.
Words that carry different meanings in different countries and cultures will be examined at the discretion of the Administration Team and the appropriate action taken.
This includes "potentially" libelous comments against companies and other organisations.
Traditional Witch try to monitor and review all posts, discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, bulletin boards and other dialogue ("Dialogue") on its Sites, Traditional Witch is under no obligation to do so and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the Dialogue contained in its Sites, or for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger or inaccuracy contained in any information within its Sites. Traditional Witch does not monitor or review the content of any off-Site pages or any other sites linked to its Sites and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the contents of such off-Site pages or sites, or for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, profanity, danger or inaccuracy contained in any information contained therein.
No spamming! Spam includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Excessive off-topic threads
- Posting nonsensical messages
- “Flooding” the forum with similar meaning messages
- Post-Count farming
- Inciting a forum war or riot
- Blatant advertising
- Messages without content
- Fraudulent activity (Pyramid schemes, chain letters, etc.)
- Free-____ links (i.e. free iPods, Free PSP, etc. etc.)
We want to avoid spam generated by promotion teams, public-relations campaigns or any other traffic-hungry webmasters. While we vet new registrations prior to approving them, there is always the possibility of someone registering purely to advertise their own website, services or whatever. So please note that our forums aren’t the place to advertise your own site or forums or sites with similar content to ours. Traditional Witch staff don’t visit your site and spam it with adverts, so we expect the same courtesy in return. You are welcome to link your personal (non-commercial) site in your signature so long as you request permission from the Administration Team.
Any forum member who seems to have created their account solely to promote another site will be permanently banned.
Pirated Materials, Cracks, Keys, and Key-Generators
Traditional Witch relies heavily on software to accomplish certain tasks – forums, blogs, articles and so on. This software is often created by individuals (and released by them under a license) who should expect the terms of their license to be adhered to, including receiving fair payment for their work if they so choose..
For the purposes of Traditional Witch, the following definitions apply:
- “Piracy” is the illegal copying and/or distribution of copyrighted content including, but not limited to, games, software, music, movies, pictures, ROMs, abandon-ware, and leaked software
- “Cracks” are programs that disable copy-protection technology
- A “Key” is a combination of numbers and letters that is required for software installation
- “Key-Generators” are programs that generate valid Keys
- Seeking help to create any of the above
- Admitting to possess pirated materials, cracks, keys and key-generators
- Admitting to distribute pirated materials, cracks, keys and key-generators
- Uploading any such files to Traditional Witch
Forgery or impersonation
Attempting to impersonate any person, including staff, using forged headers, instant messenger names, similar usernames in an effort to deceive or mislead is prohibited.
This is an Eighteen+ (18+) forum so we do not have profanity filters in place, however, we expect members to remember that the Public areas of the forum are viewable by the General Public, and to moderate their language, or confine their more profane posts to the Private areas of the forum. The Administration Team reserve the right to move, hide or delete any post which breaches this guideline.
Sexually Offensive Materials / Other Offensive Materials
You may not post or link to pornography. Although this forum is for people over the age of Eighteen, we expect members to remember that many areas of the forum are viewable by Guests. If you are unsure whether what you wish to post may be in violation of this rule, please consult a member of the Administration Team prior to posting. We do have a Deprived and Depraved forum which is not available to Guests, however, if in doubt always contact a member of the Administration Team. The Administration Team reserve the right to move, hide or delete any post which breaches this guideline.
You may not use our forums for illegal purposes, in support of illegal activities, or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, as determined by the laws of the United Kingdom. Such activities will guarantee a ban. We reserve the right to cooperate with legal authorities and/or injured third parties in the investigation of any suspected crime or civil wrongdoing.
Privacy / Copyright
You may not
- Post any form of personal information of a user unless the user has first permitted it by express consent. Examples of personal information include name, address, IP addresses, and phone numbers.
- Distribute any form of personal information, email address, private/email Messages with intent to harass or in any demeaning manner as determined by a moderator, regardless of consent.
- Disclose a user's unpublicised email address unless the user has first permitted it, either by actual consent or previously releasing said information.
- Post copyrighted material unless consent from the originator has been approved (evidence of such approval must be presented when asked for), and you should always give credit to the source when posting information that is not original
- Disclose your personal information to anyone, member or otherwise, unless working in co-operation with authorities as detailed elsewhere in these guidelines
English is the official language of our forums because it is the common language between our moderators and users. Because we can not moderate conversations / text in a foreign language, you may not hold a conversation in the forums in language other than English. For signatures you should get clearance from a member of the Adminstration Team prior to adding a signature in a foreign language.
- You may not harvest email addresses from our forums for any purpose
- You are required to keep your forum account's email address up-to-date. If a message sent to the email address on record bounces, your account will be banned and you will have to contact a member of the Administration Team to have your account unbanned
Moderation & Bans
- You may not evade a ban. Doing so will drastically lengthen your ban. If you believe your actions were not in violation of this Code of Conduct, you can appeal by contacting a member of the Management Team
- You may not publicly complain about or demand a reason for another user's ban, the deletion of a message, or the deletion/closure of a thread. Any discussion about warnings, bans, message deletion, thread deletion and thread closure should be done over private email between the person concerned and the moderators
- You may not re-edit a message that has been edited by a moderator
- You may not post a message on behalf of a banned forum member
- Do not include phrases such as “I will probably get banned for this...” as this may ensure your wish is granted!!
Miscellaneous Posting Rules
- Do not post negative posts and discussions that are repeated over and over and over with no other purpose than to disrupt conversation. If you feel the need to say something, say it once and then move on. Do not disrupt multiple threads in order to get your view out.
- You may not bait/troll users. Bait / Trolling are defined as posting with a clear intent to provoke anger, incendiary posts, and behaviour that results in other users violating the CoC.
- You may not bait, insult, flame, or otherwise abuse a staff member. Staff members have to follow the same rules, and should you have a problem with a certain staff member, please contact a moderator or the Administration Team.
- You may not post graphically-disturbing images as inline images (such that the images are displayed when users view your post). However, you can link to the images with a warning stating that the images are graphically disturbing
- You may not post in a manner that is harmful to Traditional Witch. For example, “Traditional Witch sucks. Go here!” If you do, the post will be deleted and you will be banned.
- You may not register multiple accounts with intent to violate any part of this CoC.
- You may not link to the forum logout page, disguised or not.
- In the event of a ban, your posts will not be deleted, even if you request them to be. Doing so would disrupt the flow of the threads in which you have posted and could therefore make them unintelligible. By signing up to Traditional Witch, you agree that your posts are stored on Traditional Witch’s servers and therefore become part of the Traditional Witch forum.
- Remember to make use of the ‘smilies’ in posts – it can be very difficult to ascertain the tone of a post without them!
- Don't bump your thread because no one is posting in it, let the subject matter of the thread draw the interest, not your bump.
- Post in the correct section. An off topic post may be moved or deleted by community staff.
- When welcoming new members in the Introduction Forum, be friendly, they're new and they may not know how the community works. Help them out if you can.
- No more than 5 lines of text using a normal font size (not too big, not too small)..
- No more than 2 images. Their combined vertical height (stacked) must not exceed 150 pixels, and their width must not exceed 300 pixels (beside each
other). No one wants to scroll through a wall of signatures to get to the next post.
- Maximum of 2 url's (but bear in mind the next point)
- No commercial advertising in your signature unless you've been given permission from community staff.
- No malicious, hateful, harmful, racist or insulting messages or images are permitted in your signature
- Use of language other than English should be cleared with a member of the Administration Team
- The Administration Team reserve the right to edit the signature of members that breach these guidelines.
- No malicious, hateful, harmful, racist or insulting messages for your avatar.
- No commercial advertising in your avatar unless you've been given permission from the Administration Team.
- The Administration Team reserve the right to edit or suspend the avatar of members that breach these guidelines.
- You may not upload any disgusting or disturbing images to the attachment system or the gallery.
- When uploading images to the gallery, please upload them to the correct category. If a category doesn't match what you're uploading, contact a community
staff member for help.
- You are not permitted to upload any images or documents with the intent in using them for commercial advertising unless given permission by community staff
- You are not permitted to upload any malicious, hateful, insulting, racial, discriminatory or offensive images or documents.
- The Administration Team reserve the right to edit or delete Galleries or Attachments that breach these guidelines.