- - - - -

Foot Prints with a twist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

As Im sure many of you are aware foot prints can be used to obtain the essence of a person. In fact I think there is a thread in the myth section detailing the significance in hoodoo.

In every case I have ever seen the footprint being used has been a foot print in dirt.

Being from the north I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether a foot print in snow would have any different properties or the two are one in the same.

My reasoning would be that the captured "snow print" once collected and brought inside becomes water and water has a specially property all in its own. In some traditions, namely Ophidian craft, water holds an even greater significance.

I guess my hypothesis is that the water aspect may enhance things.

-Tristan

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

As Im sure many of you are aware foot prints can be used to obtain the essence of a person. In fact I think there is a thread in the myth section detailing the significance in hoodoo.

In every case I have ever seen the footprint being used has been a foot print in dirt.

Being from the north I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether a foot print in snow would have any different properties or the two are one in the same.

My reasoning would be that the captured "snow print" once collected and brought inside becomes water and water has a specially property all in its own. In some traditions, namely Ophidian craft, water holds an even greater significance.

-Tristan

I hadn't given it much thought re snow v. dirt as I haven't worked much with footprints, but I am interested by the ophidian reference. Are you by any chance LHP? (If you don't mind my asking... you're not required to answer, lol). I have an interest in the sabbatic lore (sabbatic as in witches' sabbath, not yearly sabbath although that follows also (at least in my current path)).

M

#3 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

I hadn't given it much thought re snow v. dirt as I haven't worked much with footprints, but I am interested by the ophidian reference. Are you by any chance LHP? (If you don't mind my asking... you're not required to answer, lol). I have an interest in the sabbatic lore (sabbatic as in witches' sabbath, not yearly sabbath although that follows also (at least in my current path)).

M

In the words of Andrew Chumbley: I have a right hand and a left hand that serve the same master.

The path I have taken thus far has as many zigs and zags as that of a cheetah pursuing an elusive gazelle :vhappywitch: .

That being said I have explored the LHP a fair amount and wouldn't shy from conversing on the subject.

If I may ask, what is your stance on the Oera Linda Book?

-Tristan

#4 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

-Tristan

I like where you're going with this! Using a snow print would definitely open up a lot of possibilities.

#5 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

I like where you're going with this! Using a snow print would definitely open up a lot of possibilities.

Thanks! In addition to the magical properties of water I think it's worth mentioning that the liquid form of the sample presents... unique opportunities most notable of which is surely consumption...

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

In the words of Andrew Chumbley: I have a right hand and a left hand that serve the same master.

The path I have taken thus far has as many zigs and zags as that of a cheetah pursuing an elusive gazelle :vhappywitch: .

That being said I have explored the LHP a fair amount and wouldn't shy from conversing on the subject.

If I may ask, what is your stance on the Oera Linda Book?

-Tristan

Hey - I honestly have not delved into the OLB, but I know it had supposed influence on Blavatsky's (sp? - I can't spell for beans, lol)Secret Doctrine. It has been recommended to me several times that I read the SD, and it's a bit of a joke (me, not the SD) in that for some reason I really resent reading that book, lol. I actually took it up to a bar one night and forced myself to wade through a lot of it and found it only annoyed me, but not that I necessarily disagreed with it. I think my problem with the SD is that I find it simply as one more veil-covered explanation of what can never be explained or understood in physical manifestation. I found it, as so many explanations, a complexity of what is probably immensely simple - a bit like the emenations of the Kaballa - the further from the top the more complex they became until they manifested physically. I have kept the book, though, as I often find that a book I did not like suddenly switches on me and I then enjoy it. I find there are many explanations in every culture from the Fallen Ones to Tribal mythos and beliefs and that they are all trying to say the same thing, but none of them can say it in English, hence it seems to be more of a matter of letting the words, unintellectualized, wash over one until some deeper and unarticulated meaning sinks in but it still remains as being beyond the English language (or any articulate language known to man). So I suppose that is where I got my Gnostic bent - not trying to understand the actual Origin (which is unfathomable) or happenings, but simply my relationship to it. (Well, at this point in my Path anyway, lol.) I have found for now that I seem to just have picked the mythos that resonate best with me and, yes, which seem most logical, and then work within that structure. If the man-made gods are man's focus of the current, then any god of man's choosing (or making!) is still the Current, and as such can still move one along the Path as long as one recognizes foremost the Current, not the dogma. One of the hardest is moving past the illusion and duality of working with something one has deified one's self (or human's self). ON the basic level it appears that there is no need to then work with it once one has realized what it is, becuase we tend to forget that even though we as humans focused it and gave it it's name and mythos, it is still ensouled in its own right and as such is a key and a gate even though it is one we ultimately created. Many Trad witches don't work with gods, but due to the nature of my path and the places I go I work with them becuase in the focusing of the current they have access and concentration of "knowledge" that is necessary for some of what I do esotericaly. I may not understand the knowledge but I can work with their understanding of it, if that makes sense. I think that ultimately it all boils down to the assuming of the gods and thereby "deifying" of the self but one can't do that intellectually becuase it is not an intellectual endeavor. Much like working with the Twin, one is aware of it but can't intellectually integrate it, only by working with it does the duality of it fade - and much easier said than done, lol!!

M

#7 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Wow Great post! As far as the Oera Linda goes there is a massive amount of agreement that it was in many ways a hoax but then there is some belief that it is a cypher or riddle. The only reason I asked was because it is often cited in Ophidian realms. I love the way you characterize complexity and how we seem to complicate the simplest things to the point that we no longer understand them. The modality in which I have strived to experience the craft is firmly grounded in the need for simplicity.

If I may ask What mythos do you work with? Personally I work with a Native American Focus (thanks Great Grandma! haha)

Also somewhat OT but if your interested at all in origin myths and such an absolutely wonderfull book is: Finger Prints of the Gods BY Graham Hancock. I will say that the book is not at all witchy in focus but rather is an athropological or archaeological take on the origins on mankind, civilization and ancient technologies. Abosolutely fantastic read, I can't say enough!

#8 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

-Tristan

I think that there is the distinct possibility (since nothing is really definite lol) that you may get better results from using snow or water as it will become. I only say this because of my crude understanding of how water as a substance behaves.

Totally fascinating. I would love to know if it does work for you.

Good luck :witchbroom:

#9 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

I am a big fan of Graham Hancock. Have you read 'Supernatural' where he explores Shamanic visions?
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#10 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

I am a big fan of Graham Hancock. Have you read 'Supernatural' where he explores Shamanic visions?

That sounds like one for my "definitly must view" list. :)

#11 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

[quote name='Tristan' timestamp='1295370661' post='92833']

The modality in which I have strived to experience the craft is firmly grounded in the need for simplicity.

Here! Here! I can't agree more, on that form of intelligable sensory preception.

Finger Prints of the Gods BY Graham Hancock. I will say that the book is not at all witchy in focus but rather is an athropological or archaeological take on the origins on mankind, civilization and ancient technologies. Abosolutely fantastic read, I can't say enough! Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

If I may ask What mythos do you work with? Personally I work with a Native American Focus (thanks Great Grandma! haha)

Hey - it's a Nameless Path and the current mythos I use are the (dogmatic) Christian mythos mixed with Gnostic understandings. I work strongly with a sabbatic current and most of what is written re same was written from a Christian viewpoint (demons, devils, etc.), so it is logical to work with them. I don't work with the gods that most would assume from the statement "Christian mythos", but more with the symbolic mythos of the Fall. In an attempt to understand it I try to work directly with Those who would have the best knowledge of it - the stream of the Current that has been focused into the gods/demi-gods directly related to the fall and the outing of Eden. It also deals heavily with the Green World and the spirits that reside in same. Those are the "generally known" entities that I work with, but there are also the ancestors both of my current life and the ancesters that reside within the circle.

M

#13 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:59 AM

That sounds awesome haha :crossfingers:

#14 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

I think that there is the distinct possibility (since nothing is really definite lol) that you may get better results from using snow or water as it will become. I only say this because of my crude understanding of how water as a substance behaves.

Totally fascinating. I would love to know if it does work for you.

Good luck :witchbroom:

Well truth be told its an evolving project. I am considering what may (or may not lol) be the result of consuming the essence. Also I'm trying to ascertain if this whole idea can be translated to animal essences. For instance the coyote is representative of cunning and cleverness... such an essence would be desirable.

Additionally I have recently been lucky enough to witness a bald eagle take out a rabbit. I collected the imprints made by the wings tips in the snow (you could see each individual feather in some places).

Has anyone ever heard or tried anything like this?

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

Well truth be told its an evolving project. I am considering what may (or may not lol) be the result of consuming the essence. Also I'm trying to ascertain if this whole idea can be translated to animal essences. For instance the coyote is representative of cunning and cleverness... such an essence would be desirable.

Additionally I have recently been lucky enough to witness a bald eagle take out a rabbit. I collected the imprints made by the wings tips in the snow (you could see each individual feather in some places).

Has anyone ever heard or tried anything like this?

I would think it would be excellent to use for overcoming and power. If you can get the imprint of the rabbit when it was snatched that would be very good for terror and fear use.

M

#16 Guest_Tristan_*

Guest_Tristan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

I would think it would be excellent to use for overcoming and power. If you can get the imprint of the rabbit when it was snatched that would be very good for terror and fear use.

M

Didn't get the foot footprint of the rabbit but I did get some blood from the snow.

#17 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

I would think a snow footprint would have a different symbology to it than when it turns to water, than a dirt foot print, simply due to the fact dirt represent earth while water is pure, but snow is a mix of water and air, at least to my mind.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#18 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I would think a snow footprint would have a different symbology to it than when it turns to water, than a dirt foot print, simply due to the fact dirt represent earth while water is pure, but snow is a mix of water and air, at least to my mind.

I agree I think each holds an essence but as with anything that changes the energy changes with it. I'm thinking that while earth is firm and grounded that it would make tracking and those types of things spell wise easier but a sinew print melted would perhaps make spells that for emotions or cleansing easier I hope I'm being clear lol because I can picture my thoughts but getting them out sometimes messes them up. My other thought on snow prints is that they are cleaner and because your walking on water such as it is you could come up with all kinds of healing type pulls for that essence . This is my thoughts and I know my craft is a bit different so I bet others will have many different and interesting ideas as well.

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I agree I think each holds an essence but as with anything that changes the energy changes with it. I'm thinking that while earth is firm and grounded that it would make tracking and those types of things spell wise easier but a sinew print melted would perhaps make spells that for emotions or cleansing easier I hope I'm being clear lol because I can picture my thoughts but getting them out sometimes messes them up. My other thought on snow prints is that they are cleaner and because your walking on water such as it is you could come up with all kinds of healing type pulls for that essence . This is my thoughts and I know my craft is a bit different so I bet others will have many different and interesting ideas as well.

You can preserve a snow print. Just cut around it (in firmly packed, slightly wet snow, not the powdery stuff) and put in a large zip lock bag. Place in the garage or in a freezer and add things to the baggy (outside so it doesn't melt) and do your thing. After the spell is through I would let it melt and water a plant with it provided there are no banefuls that would harm the plant.

#20 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

-Tristan

I was addressing this part of her post, I'm sorry if I was unclear in my post.