Some Herbal Books To Consider Getting...

AnjelWolf

Ok...here is a list of some really good herbal books that will help those seeking advice in the herbal area.

1. Jude's Herbal Home Remedies, by Jude C. Williams, M.H. (ISBN: 0-87542-869-x)

2. Penny C. Royal Herbally Yours, by Penny C. Royal (ISBN: 0-9609226-1-x)

3. Culpeppers Complete Herbal & English Physician, by Nicholas Culpepper (ISBN: 0-916638-20-0)

4. The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal, by David Hoffman (ISBN: 1-85230-758-7)

5. The Encyclopedia Of Essential Oils, by Julia Lawless (ISBN: 1-85230-311-5)

I have each of these books in my collection and they are rather worn from the use LOL.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a good one called "The Herb Book:the complete and authoritative guide to more than 500 herbs", by John Lust. Not as well thought out as the Hoffman one, but it has loads of info including some folklore etc well worth the money :D

RC

i have a basic herbal book, i'll get the name of it for ya later, it's very basic. it doesn't have alot of herbs, but it gives you uses for some common ailments. it is a simple read. and useful.

Another classic is "A Modern Herbal" by Mrs. M. Grieve. It's an old one... but has lots of interesting information.

Now I'm afriad I swear by Culpeppers but I also have a lovely one called the earth garden herbal which has lots of old wood cuts of plants and buxum maids and wossname so is good just for drooling over and imagining yourself in C14th .........:witch:

Guest wortmistress
There's a good one called "The Herb Book:the complete and authoritative guide to more than 500 herbs", by John Lust. Not as well thought out as the Hoffman one, but it has loads of info including some folklore etc well worth the money :D

RC

I picked this one up from a charity shop many, many years ago. Also it has a more U.S. slant, I have found it to be amazing. My copy is falling apart and cunningly enough I saw another one in a charity shop 2 weeks ago! However, I am attached to my battered copy- it has seen my through some times!;)

I've sometimes found using books with a US slant a bit confusing in the UK mostly due to the difference in names {especially dialect names for plants} and the differing growing advice. I think balm of gilead was one of the ones that tripped me up as I had it growing in my garden {the canaries plant , looks like a mint , smells like mothballs} but finally figured out that the referance book I was using referred to a poplar type tree when I put it in google images.:confused: which might explain why when I followed the growing advice it turned up its toes and died:doh:

Yeah I have Culpeppers too and I agree S.P. that the differences between the U.S. and the U.K. in naming plants can be confusng at best sometimes. That's why I also try to look for the scientific name also.

Just for interests sake theres a really good biography of culpepper that is well worth reading and as soon as I can find it , I'll post the name.

cool I finally found the list of books yall were speaking of. lol now the fun part of actuially looking for these books.

Oh I am sure I wont need to worry about taking my time lol they seem to be very hard to find lol. At least the ones that I found on here anyway.

Usually if you put a title into Google, it'll pop up with something. Give it a try!

Amazon is also a pretty good resource, as well as a local spiritual supply shop.

Ok I am getting upset lol. I was looking on here yesturday and saw a book titled "red Dragon" listed by somone and now I cant seem to locate te post. Could someone please tell me the author so I can look it up properly.

Ok I am getting upset lol. I was looking on here yesturday and saw a book titled "red Dragon" listed by somone and now I cant seem to locate te post. Could someone please tell me the author so I can look it up properly.

http://www.paganpath.com/witch/grim.shtml is a site that has the information you want about the grimoire hun :)

ok after reading just a few paragraphs about this book it comes across as the extreme blak arts book lol not sure if I would want to get to over whelmed by this one haha.

Archived