- - - - -

help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hobgoblin_*

Guest_hobgoblin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

hello there i know theres not a book that will tell me all i nned to know but i was wondering if someone could recomend a book to get me started on hedge witchcraft,i live in milton keynes & have been to our stone circle ive spoken to a few people there but they are mostley wiccans and id like to learn the old ways if possible.
many thanks

#2 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi Hobgoblin, I am afraid there is no definitive guide to traditional witchcraft as there are many different forms, and its difficult to get any two traditional witches to agree with one definition of what traditional witchcraft is to them!! Traditional Witchcraft is also very hard to learn from books. But you could possibly investigate the following: 'Roebuck in the Thicket' (by Evan John Jones) 'Hedge Rider', (Eric De Vries) 'Traditional Witchcraft' (Gemma Gary)'Call of the Horned Piper' (Nigel Aldcroft Jackson) and 'Secrets of East Anglian Magic' (Nigel Pennick)

hello there i know theres not a book that will tell me all i nned to know but i was wondering if someone could recomend a book to get me started on hedge witchcraft,i live in milton keynes & have been to our stone circle ive spoken to a few people there but they are mostley wiccans and id like to learn the old ways if possible.
many thanks

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#3 Guest_hobgoblin_*

Guest_hobgoblin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi Hobgoblin, I am afraid there is no definitive guide to traditional witchcraft as there are many different forms, and its difficult to get any two traditional witches to agree with one definition of what traditional witchcraft is to them!! Traditional Witchcraft is also very hard to learn from books. But you could possibly investigate the following: 'Roebuck in the Thicket' (by Evan John Jones) 'Hedge Rider', (Eric De Vries) 'Traditional Witchcraft' (Gemma Gary)'Call of the Horned Piper' (Nigel Aldcroft Jackson) and 'Secrets of East Anglian Magic' (Nigel Pennick)

thanks so much owlblink ill be getting those asap

#4 Guest_Melodye_*

Guest_Melodye_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

many thanks

I think it depends on what you mean by hedge witchcraft. To me it means one that "walks between the worlds" but to many its all about herbs, kitchen and garden witchery.
If you mean the former then my suggestion is to study shamanism. There is not a lot of info out there about hedge riding but there is plenty about core shamanism and they are very closely related. You just need to learn to distinguish between the new age bullshit and the real thing. The basic concepts behind shamanism will set you on your path.

#5 Guest_hobgoblin_*

Guest_hobgoblin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

I think it depends on what you mean by hedge witchcraft. To me it means one that "walks between the worlds" but to many its all about herbs, kitchen and garden witchery.
If you mean the former then my suggestion is to study shamanism. There is not a lot of info out there about hedge riding but there is plenty about core shamanism and they are very closely related. You just need to learn to distinguish between the new age bullshit and the real thing. The basic concepts behind shamanism will set you on your path.

thanks melodye i kinda think hedge witchcraft is a mixture of both and im keen to learn as much as i can about as many aspects as possible,the shamanism side of things fasinates me so rest assured i will try to get as much info as possible on that subject..thanks again for your advise melodye

#6 catwhiskers

catwhiskers

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Its very hard to get a copy of the '' call of the horned piper'' but it also depends where you live i live in england and have just perchased a copy i got it from www.bookstore.co.uk

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

In the States I find that Magus Books carries most of the trad-ier books, including many of the harder to find ones that Amazon does not have. If they are out of them they also will email you when they get it in.

M

#8 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

In the States I find that Magus Books carries most of the trad-ier books, including many of the harder to find ones that Amazon does not have. If they are out of them they also will email you when they get it in.

M

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check in to this. I'm always looking for good books.

#9 Guest_hobgoblin_*

Guest_hobgoblin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Its very hard to get a copy of the '' call of the horned piper'' but it also depends where you live i live in england and have just perchased a copy i got it from www.bookstore.co.uk

thanks catwhiskers i do live in England and will be checking those guys out if i get no joy with amazon
im trying to get as much info as possible and will be buying books as often as i can afford them,ive been checking out some website on shamanism but as yet havnt found one that isnt full of the "new age" stuff but i dont give up easy and will continue my surch in earnest,iknow there isnt a book or website that will give me all the info i will probably wamt but i do intend to learn what i can from where i can.
The way i look at it how can i make a decision on whats right or wrong for my path if i dont know what there is to learn in the first place everyones got to start somwhere right?
i must thank those of you who have tryed to help me on this thread your very kind, :chakrahearts:

#10 catwhiskers

catwhiskers

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

''The book of english magic'' i am lead to believe is about what you looking for hun . . . plus The Sin Eater's Last Confession: Lost Traditions of Celtic Shamanism on amazon and they are going for as little as about £2 but there are only 4 left x x x x :flyaway:

thanks catwhiskers i do live in England and will be checking those guys out if i get no joy with amazon
im trying to get as much info as possible and will be buying books as often as i can afford them,ive been checking out some website on shamanism but as yet havnt found one that isnt full of the "new age" stuff but i dont give up easy and will continue my surch in earnest,iknow there isnt a book or website that will give me all the info i will probably wamt but i do intend to learn what i can from where i can.
The way i look at it how can i make a decision on whats right or wrong for my path if i dont know what there is to learn in the first place everyones got to start somwhere right?
i must thank those of you who have tryed to help me on this thread your very kind, :chakrahearts:

Edited by catwhiskers, 15 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#11 Guest_hobgoblin_*

Guest_hobgoblin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

''The book of english magic'' i am lead to believe is about what you looking for hun . . . plus The Sin Eater's Last Confession: Lost Traditions of Celtic Shamanism on amazon and they are going for as little as about £2 but there are only 4 left x x x x :flyaway:

thanks just orderd the sin eaters last confession got it for £1:28!!
the book of english magic will have to wait till i next get paid but thanks so much for helping me i think id be lost without a clue where to start if it wasnt for you kind people & would probably end up reading some "new age" drivell that would be of no use to me what so ever :rolleyes_witch:

#12 catwhiskers

catwhiskers

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Am so pleased have fun reading them take care and hope to speak too you soon x x x x:kissass:

thanks just orderd the sin eaters last confession got it for £1:28!!
the book of english magic will have to wait till i next get paid but thanks so much for helping me i think id be lost without a clue where to start if it wasnt for you kind people & would probably end up reading some "new age" drivell that would be of no use to me what so ever :rolleyes_witch: